The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
lex
Ring of Famer
 
lex's Avatar
 
The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 10,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Mike Mayock: Our 2006 draft class was among the best for any team over last 20 years.

Just saw it on NFLN.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
Killericon
Front 7, Please
 
Killericon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Alberta
Posts: 7,653

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock
Default

Was.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Punisher
®WOOOOOO so close you can
 
Punisher's Avatar
 
Taste it just makes you hungry®

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Broncos Video Vault
Posts: 7,167

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7
Default

Shanny was getting good at the draft he last few years its too bad that he wanted to keep Slowdick
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Anaximines
Anaximines
 
Anaximines's Avatar
 
Anaximines

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 530

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

thank goodness we got rid of the Goodmans!
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,338

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Imagine how diff the NFL would look right now had Dwayne Bowe held on to that onside kick
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
telluride
Ring of Famer
 
telluride's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,557

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--
Default

Followed by the disaster of 2007. It's all relative. And even giving credit for 2006, that's only one class out of the previous 10. Let's not go pretending that Shanny et al suddenly got the hang of things.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,338

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Its all cuz of Hixon
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
frerottenextelway
█████
 
frerottenextelway's Avatar
 
█████

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: █████
Posts: 8,416

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
Followed by the disaster of 2007. It's all relative. And even giving credit for 2006, that's only one class out of the previous 10. Let's not go pretending that Shanny et al suddenly got the hang of things.
Man, I thought the only guy from 2007 that would be a bust would be Harris. I nailed that. Still combined, our '06 to '08 drafts have been awesome, you're always going to have some busts. Usually 50% or more of the 1st round are busts and even more every round after.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,866

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

... and it was totally thrashed within three months of the season ending.

Gotta love Pat Bowlen. THANKS PAT!
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
lex
Ring of Famer
 
lex's Avatar
 
The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 10,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
Man, I thought the only guy from 2007 that would be a bust would be Harris. I nailed that. Still combined, our '06 to '08 drafts have been awesome, you're always going to have some busts. Usually 50% or more of the 1st round are busts and even more every round after.
Yeah, we got an A for the past 5 years mainly because of the 06 and 08 drafts.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #11
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Shanny was getting good at the draft he last few years its too bad that he wanted to keep Slowdick
No, he just finally started to realize that the draft requires you to...

1. listen to your scouts

2. determine value for players and don't take a 4th round prospect in the early 2nd just because you really like him.

There is a reason why Jim Goodman gaining more say in the organization lead to good drafts. However, I think we can take Bowlen at his word that Jim was a father first, VP of football operations second, so asking him to chose between staying with the Broncos after Jeff was fired or giving up his salary was an unfair proposition. By letting him go he enabled Jim to keep his salary and not have to make that tough decision. It was a class move on Bowlen's part.

As for Jeff Goodman, its been stated quite clearly that the reason he was passed over for Xanders as the GM was because the scouting staff as a whole couldn't stand him. The fact that it was apparently known within the organization that he wouldn't tolerate working under Xanders only corroborates that and painted the Broncos into a corner more. Do you pick the guy who is obviously more qualified, that most of your staff likes, or the guy who's dad is a very good VP of football Ops and that the rest of the organization doesn't like?

You can't have an organization built on nepotism and still preach a team first, open competition mindset.

And before someone mentions McDaniels' brother working for the Broncos, he's about as far down on the totem pole as it gets and is by all accounts pretty qualified to set out all the little cups of gatorade for the players during practice.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
lostknight
In The Arena
 
lostknight's Avatar
 
ohwaitwtf

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,336

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
No, he just finally started to realize that the draft requires you to...
There is a reason why Jim Goodman gaining more say in the organization lead to good drafts. However, I think we can take Bowlen at his word that Jim was a father first, VP of football operations second, so asking him to chose between staying with the Broncos after Jeff was fired or giving up his salary was an unfair proposition. By letting him go he enabled Jim to keep his salary and not have to make that tough decision. It was a class move on Bowlen's part.

As for Jeff Goodman, its been stated quite clearly that the reason he was passed over for Xanders as the GM was because the scouting staff as a whole couldn't stand him. The fact that it was apparently known within the organization that he wouldn't tolerate working under Xanders only corroborates that and painted the Broncos into a corner more. Do you pick the guy who is obviously more qualified, that most of your staff likes, or the guy who's dad is a very good VP of football Ops and that the rest of the organization doesn't like?
This constant innuendo crap is sickening. Show me a single article that backs up your claim, or a single document that bears out your point. It's really getting old, and has personal effects on real people. It's a **** tactic.

The Goodman's got fired because they didn't agree with McDaniels. A lot like a certain former QB of ours. And they will not be the last. Bowlen has decided that McDaniel's gets his way. That's his perogative, but let's not cast metaphorical stones just because Dove Valley tells us too.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
This constant innuendo crap is sickening. Show me a single article that backs up your claim, or a single document that bears out your point. It's really getting old, and has personal effects on real people. It's a **** tactic.

The Goodman's got fired because they didn't agree with McDaniels. A lot like a certain former QB of ours. And they will not be the last. Bowlen has decided that McDaniel's gets his way. That's his perogative, but let's not cast metaphorical stones just because Dove Valley tells us too.
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...ht=Jim+Goodman

Check out the OP from CMHargrove. It doesn't take a lot of reading between the lines to know what Bowlen is really saying in his comments. Xanders and Jeff Goodman didn't get along. Jim Goodman has made it public knowledge that he didn't even want a GM position, so it was just between the two assistants. Bowlen obviously considered Xanders the more qualified, capable GM of the two.

He's even said the only reason Jim Goodman was let go was because he didn't want to put him in the tough position of choosing to stay without his son, or be forced to resign.

The FO turnover has some pretty solid comments behind what few inferences were even extrapolated from it. Not remotely similar to the people who assume that the Broncos actually shopped and lied to Jay about trying to trade him, which has no smoking gun to be found yet about half this board keeps referring to McDaniels as a liar.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #14
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,961
Default

Bowlen is the liar--he has backed out of everything he has said in the last four months. Everything.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 868

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Imagine how diff the NFL would look right now had Dwayne Bowe held on to that onside kick
It would look the same. The Broncos getting plastered in the first round would have led to the exact same thing.
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #16
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenin View Post
It would look the same. The Broncos getting plastered in the first round would have led to the exact same thing.
Do you actually believe that?
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:40 PM   #17
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 868

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Bowlen is the liar--he has backed out of everything he has said in the last four months. Everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Do you actually believe that?
.
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #18
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,961
Default

Well, lets take a look: he has said "Jay is the man around here," he promised Jay that the offensive coaching staff would remain intact, he said Goodman was entrenched as his GM, and he said he wanted a separation of powers between the coach and personnel departments. Of those statements, which is still the case? Please enlighten me.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #19
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 868

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Wow, that's everything he said in the past 4 months? Must be hard to go 120 days with only saying three sentences.
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #20
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 868

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Also, please provide links to direct quotes from Bowlen saying any of those things. What you implied from what he said is not the same as what he actually said.
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #21
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 19,338

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Well, lets take a look: he has said "Jay is the man around here," he promised Jay that the offensive coaching staff would remain intact, he said Goodman was entrenched as his GM, and he said he wanted a separation of powers between the coach and personnel departments. Of those statements, which is still the case? Please enlighten me.
Youre a moron. The first quote was in response, if i recall, about informing him of the shanahan firing...not about a lifetime contract. 2) He said he'd like to keep the offensive staff in tact, he didnt guarentee that. 3) Goodman was kind of the GM with Xanders around. 4) We do have a separation of power between coach and personnel depts. Plus i think its retarded to keep the coach completely in the dark about personnel. HES THE ONE RUNNING THE TEAM he should naturally have a HUGE say in what players he gets.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #22
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,625
Default

Yes our 06 draft was phenomenal.
Our 08 draft was great to

If we can make good use of our picks this draft and the next, we will be sitting pretty.
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Denver Broncos