The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 875

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Broncos in a Position to Deal?

With picks #12 and #18, and a strong OT class, I think the Broncos are in a great position to deal down, if they choose to.

At #12, they're immediately in front of the Redskins, and there may only be one of the top OT's available. I could see a team like Philly or Detroit trying to move up to #12 for either Oher or Smith, whoever drops.

If a deal isn't made at #12, at #18 they'd be right in front of Detroit, Philly, and Minnesota at #20, #21, and #22. Any of those three teams could grab an OT like Britton and may be willing to trade up to get him. We could potentially pick up an extra 3rd and only move down 3-4 spots in that scenario.

In either scenario, I think Denver's picks fall in the right spot and could bring pretty good value in trade.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
chaz
highly touted recruit
 
chaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,455

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton
Default

18 is also right in front of tampa in case a team falls in love with Freeman
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 875

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
18 is also right in front of tampa in case a team falls in love with Freeman
Yes sir!
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,040
Default

Trade down Josh
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
broncofan7
Ring of Famer
 
broncofan7's Avatar
 
BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BIG D
Posts: 6,005
Default

Unless Raji or Crabtree(yes a WR) falls to #12--I really don't see our needs being filled by someone who warrants beign drafted @ #12. Tyson Jackson? High teens, low 20's IMHO. If we do stay at 12 and Raji and Crabtree are gone--perhaps an edge rusher like the guy from FSU Everette Browne would be a good choice....but I like the thought of trading down.......
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,387

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
Unless Raji or Crabtree(yes a WR) falls to #12--I really don't see our needs being filled by someone who warrants beign drafted @ #12. Tyson Jackson? High teens, low 20's IMHO. If we do stay at 12 and Raji and Crabtree are gone--perhaps an edge rusher like the guy from FSU Everette Browne would be a good choice....but I like the thought of trading down.......
Isn't Everett Brown pretty much a carbon copy of Jarvis Moss? Maybe we should see if Jarvis can play OLB first?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 16,246

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default

12 is a great spot if Stafford goes 1st overall to Detroit. Might hold true if Sanchez is somehow there too, since it came out the Skins have been trying to move Campbell for almost a year.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,293

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
Unless Raji or Crabtree(yes a WR) falls to #12--I really don't see our needs being filled by someone who warrants beign drafted @ #12. Tyson Jackson? High teens, low 20's IMHO. If we do stay at 12 and Raji and Crabtree are gone--perhaps an edge rusher like the guy from FSU Everette Browne would be a good choice....but I like the thought of trading down.......
Wells. with Orton we are going to need a legit rushing threat to help him carry the load.

when we had our running game working good last year, with Hillis, we looked better across the board, not just offensively. If Hillis isn't going to be the man, we need a guy who will be, and Wells at 12 would be a really good pick
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Isn't Everett Brown pretty much a carbon copy of Jarvis Moss? Maybe we should see if Jarvis can play OLB first?
Well I am not a draft expert, but unlike Jarvis I believe Brown has some pass rush moves and understands technique
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,387

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Well I am not a draft expert, but unlike Jarvis I believe Brown has some pass rush moves and understands technique
But Jarvis has the thing you can't coach: Speed. I'm still looking forward to him getting a shot as an OLB in a Nolan D.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #11
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,645
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
But Jarvis has the thing you can't coach: Speed. I'm still looking forward to him getting a shot as an OLB in a Nolan D.
Well thats what they say, I have yet to see it though
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #12
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,152
Default

I don't think we trade down unless we get an unbelievable offer....at some point and time we need to get the best players we can get.

We have 10 picks in this draft and are loaded next year....in addition to all the young players we already have on the roster.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 13,293

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
But Jarvis has the thing you can't coach: Speed. I'm still looking forward to him getting a shot as an OLB in a Nolan D.
i don't buy Moss' speed. at the combine Crowder was just as fast, if not a little faster and yet people continually credit Moss with speed and Crowder as being slow.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:00 AM   #14
Broncojef
Ring of Famer
 
Broncojef's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Great White North
Posts: 3,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I don't think we trade down unless we get an unbelievable offer....at some point and time we need to get the best players we can get.

We have 10 picks in this draft and are loaded next year....in addition to all the young players we already have on the roster.
Couldn't agree more target the guys you really want and trade up if you must to get them. I'd rather have 3-4 guys we really want than 10-12 bodies who may never produce.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #15
Elway777
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,886
Default

I think the Broncos trade up with Jacksonville with one of our 3 rounder. The Broncos draft Raji , Orakpo, Smith , or Sanchez in that order.
The 18 pick take Wells,Jackson or Barwin.
They can get the 3 rounder back if they trade Scheffer.
The Broncos pass on a Ted Linebacker because they target McCain or Spikes in next years draft.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #16
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,613

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
But Jarvis has the thing you can't coach: Speed. I'm still looking forward to him getting a shot as an OLB in a Nolan D.
Everette brown and jarvis moss speed are two differant things. look at Brown and his explosion off the ball then go back an dlook at moss creep off the line.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #17
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280
 
Broncos_OTM's Avatar
 
Broncos Over All

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,613

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i don't buy Moss' speed. at the combine Crowder was just as fast, if not a little faster and yet people continually credit Moss with speed and Crowder as being slow.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. you are correct.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,387

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i don't buy Moss' speed. at the combine Crowder was just as fast, if not a little faster and yet people continually credit Moss with speed and Crowder as being slow.
He sure had it at Florida. I don't think we should give up on him yet. Supposedly, the leg is giving him no more problems and he should be playing in a setup that will allow him to perform much better. I figure there's got to be a reason Nolan didn't just come in and cut him. Anyway, I was very impressed with him at Florida so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #19
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,069

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Isn't Everett Brown pretty much a carbon copy of Jarvis Moss? Maybe we should see if Jarvis can play OLB first?
Everette is not similar to Jarvis at all. Everette is much more compact and powerful, was twice as productive at FSU despite not having the talent around him, and is more adept mentally coming out.

I really liked Moss coming out because he had the upside only one other DE in that draft had, and that was Gaines Adams. What has happened to Moss is why First round talent fails in the NFL:

1. He got injured, not surprisingly his rookie year.

2. He got worthless coaching to develop as a player.

3. They have changed defensive schemes each year he has been in DEN.

4. He has not mentally progressed like he should, But he also has not recovered fully physically yet either.

He has four strikes right now. However, he did have the rare hip fluidity to play 3-4 OLB when he did his drills at the combine. He was one of 3 guys I marked as a possible switch to OLB that year. The biggest problem IMHO is still getting him mentally ready to be a 3-4 OLB and then keeping him healthy.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #20
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,387

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Everette is not similar to Jarvis at all. Everette is much more compact and powerful, was twice as productive at FSU despite not having the talent around him, and is more adept mentally coming out.

I really liked Moss coming out because he had the upside only one other DE in that draft had, and that was Gaines Adams. What has happened to Moss is why First round talent fails in the NFL:

1. He got injured, not surprisingly his rookie year.

2. He got worthless coaching to develop as a player.

3. They have changed defensive schemes each year he has been in DEN.

4. He has not mentally progressed like he should, But he also has not recovered fully physically yet either.

He has four strikes right now. However, he did have the rare hip fluidity to play 3-4 OLB when he did his drills at the combine. He was one of 3 guys I marked as a possible switch to OLB that year. The biggest problem IMHO is still getting him mentally ready to be a 3-4 OLB and then keeping him healthy.
You've got to like Jarvis's 6'6" over Everett's 6'2" at that position. I doubt we're going to get the top DT out of this draft that we want. I wouldn't spend a #12 on a player I had any questions about (Raji) and there is nobody else at that level of value. Hopefully, Fields and Parker can hold the fort for a season and we can get a good backup in later rounds. I still have high hopes for Carlton Powell. Who knows, maybe that spot is already taken care of and we don't know about it yet? We'll find out at camp. That makes the SOLB the premier spot to fill. I'm convinced the Bronco's first pick will be a LB, or in Brown's case, a switch to LB, although a damn good argument could be made for trading down in this draft, given the positions the Broncos need to fill (maybe make a deal for the Eagles two picks and you have #18, 21, and 28 - a lot of value in those spots). Tough decisions for the team. Nolan will have to make his decision on Jarvis with probably less information than he would like. I can definitely see where Brown could be the pick at 12 (if he's there). I would be shocked if that pick isn't used either to trade down, or fill a spot in the front seven.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #21
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

I really like the position our draft picks now have us in. If Freeman and/or Sanchez slide to the middle of the first and the Jets pass we could have #18 spark a little bidding frenzy between the Bucs, Lions, and Vikings. I'd be real happy to see moving back just a couple spots like that netting us a '10 2nd or 3rd.

#12 could be a good position to bargain with as well. I prefer the talent in the late teens/early 20's back to the mid-3rd in this draft, so if we can deal it for a pick at the front of that group and another somewhere in the middle, maybe even a later round 2010 to grease the wheels, I'd be pleased.

I'm hoping for an active draft that sees us moving up and down the board as needed to maximize value, not a static make your picks no matter how much value you leave on the table style like Shanahan employed here for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Everette is not similar to Jarvis at all. Everette is much more compact and powerful, was twice as productive at FSU despite not having the talent around him, and is more adept mentally coming out.

I really liked Moss coming out because he had the upside only one other DE in that draft had, and that was Gaines Adams. What has happened to Moss is why First round talent fails in the NFL:

1. He got injured, not surprisingly his rookie year.

2. He got worthless coaching to develop as a player.

3. They have changed defensive schemes each year he has been in DEN.

4. He has not mentally progressed like he should, But he also has not recovered fully physically yet either.

He has four strikes right now. However, he did have the rare hip fluidity to play 3-4 OLB when he did his drills at the combine. He was one of 3 guys I marked as a possible switch to OLB that year. The biggest problem IMHO is still getting him mentally ready to be a 3-4 OLB and then keeping him healthy.
Pretty much nailed it Med.

The speed people referred to with Moss in '07 was his rare hip fluidity and lateral movement skills. He's got a big frame but when healthy in college he danced around OTs like you had Shawn Bradley trying to guard LaBron James. He could throw sudden moves at them that would let him slip by untouched to reach the QB.

That raw talent doesn't work in the NFL, because NFL OTs don't get faked out nearly that easily, and even when they do they're much less likely to take themselves totally out of a play. As soon as OTs got their hands on Moss he had no moves with which to disengage.

Last year was like taking a Spanish bull fighter who just healed after a broken leg and asking him to wrestle the bull instead of evade it.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #22
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
You should have let me sleep!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,930

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Trade down Josh
Word that! TRADE DOWWWWWNNN!!!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #23
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 875

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I don't think we trade down unless we get an unbelievable offer....at some point and time we need to get the best players we can get.

We have 10 picks in this draft and are loaded next year....in addition to all the young players we already have on the roster.
That's my problem with #12 though, I don't see the talent difference between that pick and, say, #21. Raji will likely be gone, unless the positive drug test is true. In that case, I'm not sure I want him anyway. I don't want to spend #12 on Beanie, #18 maybe. What does that leave? Cushing? Overrated, with a very low ceiling. I'd much rather have Barwin, Johnson, or English than Cush, and all three of them will likely be available at #20 or 21. Jenkins isn't bad, but we really need to focus on the front-7, not another DB. Jackson's probably the best pick there, but I'm not convinced we can't pick him up at #18. I'm not interested in adding more picks this year, but just positioning the picks we have from the 20's through the mid-3rd, where the true value should fall.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #24
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 875

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I really like the position our draft picks now have us in. If Freeman and/or Sanchez slide to the middle of the first and the Jets pass we could have #18 spark a little bidding frenzy between the Bucs, Lions, and Vikings. I'd be real happy to see moving back just a couple spots like that netting us a '10 2nd or 3rd.

#12 could be a good position to bargain with as well. I prefer the talent in the late teens/early 20's back to the mid-3rd in this draft, so if we can deal it for a pick at the front of that group and another somewhere in the middle, maybe even a later round 2010 to grease the wheels, I'd be pleased.

I'm hoping for an active draft that sees us moving up and down the board as needed to maximize value, not a static make your picks no matter how much value you leave on the table style like Shanahan employed here for quite some time.
The move from #18 is exactly what I was thinking. If we can move down 2-3 spots, we can probably add a free 2010 pick and still get our guy. We could set up 2010 with 2 1sts, 2 3rds, and 2 5ths (after the Holland trade) before we even complete the 2009 draft. We don't need 10 more picks next year, but we could target 5 or 6 players and have the ammunition to get all of them.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #25
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
NFLBRONCO's Avatar
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 8,040
Default

I'd love to address these positions in 09 (First 3 rounds).



DE DT ILB OLB RB S WR

So we need to aquire 2 more picks to get it done.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 04-04-2009 at 10:33 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Denver Broncos