The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
TD30
Big Bad Wolf

Default Quinn still an option? (Speculation)

http://cle.scout.com/2/853253.html

Rich's Rant: Don't Shut Denver Trade Door
brady quinn

By Rich Passan

Posted Apr 3, 2009

The Denver Broncos took advantage of a team desperate for a quarterback in their deal with the Chicago Bears. Now, can the Browns take advantage of Denver's windfall? Rich Passan opines...

What a terrible price the Chicago Bears paid to acquire the talents of quarterback Jay Cutler from the Denver Broncos Thursday.

Giving up two first-rounders, a third-rounder and quarterback Kyle Orton in exchange for Cutler and a fifth-rounder is just insane enough to wonder what the hell Bears were thinking.

Credit Broncos owner Pat Bowlen with legal larceny. Both hands were showing as he swindled the Bears, who have been starving for a great quarterback since Hall of Famer Sid Luckman led the Monsters of the Midway nearly 70 years ago.

The deal just perpetuates the notion that stupidity always runs rampant throughout the National Football League. Fortunately, it didnít pay a visit to the Fort Berea Bunker this time.

But just because Cutler is gone and everyone seems happy, except those suitors who believed they could land him, letís not discount the possibility of the Browns remaining on course with the Broncos.

If Iím Eric Mangini and George Kokinis, Iím on the phone with Bowlen asking him how comfortable he is with Orton as his starting quarterback.

Iím asking him if his coach, Josh McDaniels, is truly at ease with Orton handling the huddle this season in Denver.

The lanky quarterback from Purdue has had a shaky career in the NFL. He has shown it doesnít take much to shake his confidence. Is that the kind of quarterback McDaniels wants?

It is entirely possible, however, that McDaniels believes he can transform Orton into something more than a journeyman type quarterback who has trouble making the difficult throws. After all, Orton did have a very productive collegiate career.

It is entirely possible McDaniels believes that if he can turn Matt Cassel into a good quarterback, as he did last season in New England when Tom Brady went down in the season opener, Orton should be easy.

Cassel was nothing more than a career backup in college and the NFL until McDaniels went Prof. Henry Higgins on him. (My Fair Lady reference for you Broadway fans.) He nearly took the Patriots to the playoffs.

But the prospect of landing Brady Quinn might give McDaniels some pause. There is a common bond, both men having learned offensive football under Charlie Weis.

It would be surprising if that doesnít translate into some sort of meaningful dialogue with the Broncos. Again, if Iím Mangini/Kokinis, I would dangle Quinn or at least explore the possibility with Bowlen. McDaniels would at the very least give a listen.

Opening the season with a quarterback tandem of Orton and Quinn, or Quinn and Orton, would give the Broncos probably the best depth at that position in the NFL.

And all it would take is a first-round pick. Quinn for the Broncosí second pick in the first round (No. 18), the one they received from the Bears. That way, theyíd still keep their first pick this year (No. 12), the Bearsí first pick next season and still have Quinn, who would certainly be better than anyone they would get at No. 18 this year.

If they could pull off that swap, Mangini/Kokinis would be more than justified picking off a quarterback with the fifth pick of the lottery. Someone like, say, Mark Sanchez of Southern California.

That would fit right in with the Mangini plan. He is definitely taking large steps in stamping his label on the Browns. Has anyone noticed how quickly the Phil Savage guys are disappearing?

Quinn and Derek Anderson are Savage guys. Sanchez, if this all plays out, would be a Mangini guy.

This is not to intimate this will happen. But the landscape is such that it is hard to believe the Broncos are willing to play an entire season with Orton as their quarterback.

Following Cutler, whose star was rising rapidly in Denver, will not be easy for Orton, who will always be known as the guy the Broncos received in the controversial trade. The pressure to succeed will be almost as high for him as it was for Aaron Rodgers, who succeeded Brett Favre in Green Bay.

Rodgers was following a legend, of course. But Cutler had developed a large following in Denver and his rapid departure stunned his fans.

Quinn would not face that kind of pressure since he would be a byproduct of the deal and the fansí expectations would not be nearly as great. At least not at first.

If the Browns canít convince the Broncos a deal for Quinn is the best way to go, the Brownsí status remains quo and Manginiís pronouncement of a training-camp battle this summer remains intact.

I can live with that, too.
TD30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I wonder if Cle would do it for a 2. Or maybe a deal for whichever of our 1's (ours or Chi's) is later next year.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I wonder if Cle would do it for a 2. Or maybe a deal for whichever of our 1's (ours or Chi's) is later next year.
Why trade for him? We have the God of QB coaches here! Let him work his "magic" on a 3-7th round draft pick.
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
TD30
Big Bad Wolf

I would give up a second and then some for Quinn in a heart beat, I'm not excited about Orton or Simms at all
Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Hotrod
Self Appointed Expert

aka Dortoh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Miss I

I would have no choice but to throat punch the nearest nun I could find.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I don't think that's very likely, but pick-strapped Washington is. And I'd like Campbell a helluva lot more than Orton.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

I would bet that Quinn could be had for a 2nd and Orton.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
I don't think that's very likely, but pick-strapped Washington is. And I'd like Campbell a helluva lot more than Orton.

Coach McD. had Quinn 1st on his list, Orton 2nd. As for Campbell, I read that coach wasn't feeling it for him.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
I would bet that Quinn could be had for a 2nd and Orton.
Why would Cleveland have any interest in Orton?
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
TD30
Big Bad Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortoh View Post
Old 04-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABronco View Post
Why trade for him? We have the God of QB coaches here! Let him work his "magic" on a 3-7th round draft pick.
Pffft, forget drafting, it's all about Chase Patton as a UDFA. He's a poor homeless man's Matt Cassell, mark my words!

btw I'm basing this purely on their height and complete lack of collegiate playing experience.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Why would Cleveland have any interest in Orton?
Gives them a one year backup/starter for Anderson.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Coach McD. had Quinn 1st on his list, Orton 2nd. As for Campbell, I read that coach wasn't feeling it for him.
Washington wanted a 2nd for Campbell. That's when those talks stopped.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #14
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Pass on Quinn. He's a pretty boy pansy. I can't stand the guy. I'd rather root for a scrappy neck-beard man than Quinn every day of the week.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
Pffft, forget drafting, it's all about Chase Patton as a UDFA. He's a poor homeless man's Matt Cassell, mark my words!

btw I'm basing this purely on their height and complete lack of collegiate playing experience.
I like it... Get it done McDani...ermm Xanders
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #16
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

No. At this point we are booked with Orton. If we want a new QB, let's do it through the draft.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #17
garandman
Seasoned Veteran

Your in my sights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD30 View Post
http://cle.scout.com/2/853253.html

Rich's Rant: Don't Shut Denver Trade Door
brady quinn

By Rich Passan

Posted Apr 3, 2009

The Denver Broncos took advantage of a team desperate for a quarterback in their deal with the Chicago Bears. Now, can the Browns take advantage of Denver's windfall? Rich Passan opines...

What a terrible price the Chicago Bears paid to acquire the talents of quarterback Jay Cutler from the Denver Broncos Thursday.

Giving up two first-rounders, a third-rounder and quarterback Kyle Orton in exchange for Cutler and a fifth-rounder is just insane enough to wonder what the hell Bears were thinking.

Credit Broncos owner Pat Bowlen with legal larceny. Both hands were showing as he swindled the Bears, who have been starving for a great quarterback since Hall of Famer Sid Luckman led the Monsters of the Midway nearly 70 years ago.

The deal just perpetuates the notion that stupidity always runs rampant throughout the National Football League. Fortunately, it didnít pay a visit to the Fort Berea Bunker this time.

But just because Cutler is gone and everyone seems happy, except those suitors who believed they could land him, letís not discount the possibility of the Browns remaining on course with the Broncos.

If Iím Eric Mangini and George Kokinis, Iím on the phone with Bowlen asking him how comfortable he is with Orton as his starting quarterback.

Iím asking him if his coach, Josh McDaniels, is truly at ease with Orton handling the huddle this season in Denver.

The lanky quarterback from Purdue has had a shaky career in the NFL. He has shown it doesnít take much to shake his confidence. Is that the kind of quarterback McDaniels wants?

It is entirely possible, however, that McDaniels believes he can transform Orton into something more than a journeyman type quarterback who has trouble making the difficult throws. After all, Orton did have a very productive collegiate career.

It is entirely possible McDaniels believes that if he can turn Matt Cassel into a good quarterback, as he did last season in New England when Tom Brady went down in the season opener, Orton should be easy.

Cassel was nothing more than a career backup in college and the NFL until McDaniels went Prof. Henry Higgins on him. (My Fair Lady reference for you Broadway fans.) He nearly took the Patriots to the playoffs.

But the prospect of landing Brady Quinn might give McDaniels some pause. There is a common bond, both men having learned offensive football under Charlie Weis.

It would be surprising if that doesnít translate into some sort of meaningful dialogue with the Broncos. Again, if Iím Mangini/Kokinis, I would dangle Quinn or at least explore the possibility with Bowlen. McDaniels would at the very least give a listen.

Opening the season with a quarterback tandem of Orton and Quinn, or Quinn and Orton, would give the Broncos probably the best depth at that position in the NFL.

And all it would take is a first-round pick. Quinn for the Broncosí second pick in the first round (No. 18), the one they received from the Bears. That way, theyíd still keep their first pick this year (No. 12), the Bearsí first pick next season and still have Quinn, who would certainly be better than anyone they would get at No. 18 this year.

If they could pull off that swap, Mangini/Kokinis would be more than justified picking off a quarterback with the fifth pick of the lottery. Someone like, say, Mark Sanchez of Southern California.

That would fit right in with the Mangini plan. He is definitely taking large steps in stamping his label on the Browns. Has anyone noticed how quickly the Phil Savage guys are disappearing?

Quinn and Derek Anderson are Savage guys. Sanchez, if this all plays out, would be a Mangini guy.

This is not to intimate this will happen. But the landscape is such that it is hard to believe the Broncos are willing to play an entire season with Orton as their quarterback.

Following Cutler, whose star was rising rapidly in Denver, will not be easy for Orton, who will always be known as the guy the Broncos received in the controversial trade. The pressure to succeed will be almost as high for him as it was for Aaron Rodgers, who succeeded Brett Favre in Green Bay.

Rodgers was following a legend, of course. But Cutler had developed a large following in Denver and his rapid departure stunned his fans.

Quinn would not face that kind of pressure since he would be a byproduct of the deal and the fansí expectations would not be nearly as great. At least not at first.

If the Browns canít convince the Broncos a deal for Quinn is the best way to go, the Brownsí status remains quo and Manginiís pronouncement of a training-camp battle this summer remains intact.

I can live with that, too.
This guy is high if he think we would give a 1 for Quinn...
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #18
garandman
Seasoned Veteran

Your in my sights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortoh View Post
How about punching babies
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer

The Browns were publicly shopping Anderson for what most thought would be a 3rd just a few weeks ago.

Since then they've said Quinn and Anderson are in open competition.

Yet somehow Quinn is supposed to be worth a mid-first? Matt Cassel nearly got a team into the playoffs last year and he was only worth an early 2nd.

Maybe #48 for Quinn, but I'd be a lot more willing to give one of the thirds. Or maybe just Tony Sheffler.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #20
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post

this is the missouri back up right? I herd he is going to dental school or something.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #21
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I would send a 3rd and Sheffler for Quinn.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #22
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I was thinking that... maybe our 2nd and... Orton? For Quinn.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #23
TD30
Big Bad Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickademus View Post
I would send a 3rd and Sheffler for Quinn.
hmm could be an option Scheffler next?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/featu...tures%2frumors
Old 04-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #24
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Pass on Quinn. He's a pretty boy pansy. I can't stand the guy. I'd rather root for a scrappy neck-beard man than Quinn every day of the week.
I completely agree.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #25
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

forget Quinn...

I want Shaun Rogers...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote