The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Default Elsid's After Cutler Mock

OK now that the debacle is over, and we have idea where we stand going into the draft here my last mock draft for Denver.

Like the PATS mode of operation I expect McDaniels and Xanders to target certain players and move up or down in the draft to get them. Denver trades it's 12th, high 3rd and next year's 2nd rounder to Jax for the 9th overall. I also expect that Scheffer will be traded for Cleveland's 3rd (because McDaniels wants Jay's best friend off the team to remove a
potential problem in the locker room).

1a. (9th pick). Mark Sanchez - QB - USC. New face of the franchise and "smart" QB that meets McDaniels' system requirement. Plus Orton has one year on his contract left ,which lets Sanchez sit on the bench and learn

1b. (18th pick) Chris Wells.- RB - OSU- A Strong Running Game will bring excitement to Mile high and improve red zone scoring

2. Michael Johnson - OLB/DE- Georgia Tech- Boom or Bust Player makes him drop to the second , but upside make this potential candidate for the PATS West interesting choice for Nolan.

3. Eric Woods -C- Louisville- Need to provide depth at OC/C position. This is the top of the 3rd choice

3. Dorell Scott - DT/DE - Clemson - (6-3 1/4, 314) strong DT that allow Nolan to flex his hybrid defense.

4. Sam Lee Hill - DT/DE - Big NT type player has the ability to play either position and will rotate with the vets on the line. Raw but has good potential.

5. Nate Ness (FS) Arizona - under the radar FS that had very good season an excellent Pro-Day. "He ran a 4.46 and 4.49 in the 40, had a 36-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot, 3-inch broad jump, a 4.16 short shuttle, a 6.63 three-cone drill and had 17 lifts in the bench press". – Gil Brandt, NFL.com

6.Richard Quinn - TE - UNC- Big TE (264) that fits the block first TE for McDaniels System. Has the reputation as great inline blocker and ok pass catcher

7A Manuel Johnson - WR - Oklahoma - coming off elbow injury add a spread WR to mix, will be ST player only, might develop into something later on.

7B. Brice McCain, - CB, Utah - fast Corner that need time to develop but add youth to the secondary and STs.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I love the Sanchez move, but the I loathe the Wells pick. It wouldn't take next year's 2nd or the early 3rd to move to #9 to get Sanchez.

It's only 150 value points to move from 12 to 9, and pick #84 is worth 170.

Michael Johnson will be long gone by the time we pick in the 2nd. Some interesting late picks, but the top is suspect.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I would trade 3 rounder plus scheffer to move up for Sanchez but not next years 2. But I love the first 5 picks
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
want2bAbronco2
Pro Bowler

Not bad, not enough D...but I do love the first 2 picks. Wouldnt take a 2nd, and 3rd though. Maybe a 4th to get to 9, or a 3rd to get to 7th.
want2bAbronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
socalorado
Ring of Famer

The Jay Cutler Trade - 2009 NFL Draft Impact

Excluding Chicago, perhaps the biggest winners of the Jay Cutler trade were the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jaguars barely spent any money this offseason, and who could blame them in this economy after epically failing with Drayton Florence and Jerry Porter last spring?

Jacksonville will be looking to trade out of the No. 8 spot. Owner Wayne Weaver doesn't want to pay top dollar to an unproven player, especially after going through the Derrick Harvey fiasco after the 2008 NFL Draft.

With Denver suddenly in need of a quarterback - Kyle Orton is entering his contract year - there is suddenly a market for the No. 8 overall selection; the Broncos will have to move ahead of the 49ers to land Mark Sanchez.

The difference between Picks 8 and 12 is 200 TVC points. The value of the selection No. 79, one of Denver's two third-round choices, is 195 points.

So, for a mere third-round pick, the Broncos can obtain their new franchise quarterback. Meanwhile, the Jaguars can still land Vontae Davis at No. 12, and they would be able to pay him less money. Plus, they'll get a third-rounder out of the swap. Not a bad deal for both teams.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post

1a. (12th). BJ Raji- DT

1b. (18th pick) Rey Maualuga.- LB -

2. Michael Johnson - OLB/DE- Georgia Tech-/ or Lawrance Sidbury

3. Rashard Jenning

3. Dorell Scott - DT/DE - Clemson - (6-3 1/4, 314) strong DT that allow Nolan to flex his hybrid defense.

4. Sam Lee Hill - DT/DE - Big NT type player has the ability to play either position and will rotate with the vets on the line. Raw but has good potential.

5. Nate Ness (FS) Arizona - under the radar FS that had very good season an excellent Pro-Day. "He ran a 4.46 and 4.49 in the 40, had a 36-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot, 3-inch broad jump, a 4.16 short shuttle, a 6.63 three-cone drill and had 17 lifts in the bench press". – Gil Brandt, NFL.com

6.Graham Harrell QB, Texas Tech

7A Manuel Johnson - WR - Oklahoma - coming off elbow injury add a spread WR to mix, will be ST player only, might develop into something later on.

7B. Brice McCain, - CB, Utah - fast Corner that need time to develop but add youth to the secondary and STs.
I like this draft better. I think we stay at 12 and 18 and take the best defensive players we can get.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
I like this draft better. I think we stay at 12 and 18 and take the best defensive players we can get.
I agree that we should stay and I have faith in McD developing a QB and Harrell could be him
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
The Jay Cutler Trade - 2009 NFL Draft Impact

Excluding Chicago, perhaps the biggest winners of the Jay Cutler trade were the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jaguars barely spent any money this offseason, and who could blame them in this economy after epically failing with Drayton Florence and Jerry Porter last spring?

Jacksonville will be looking to trade out of the No. 8 spot. Owner Wayne Weaver doesn't want to pay top dollar to an unproven player, especially after going through the Derrick Harvey fiasco after the 2008 NFL Draft.

With Denver suddenly in need of a quarterback - Kyle Orton is entering his contract year - there is suddenly a market for the No. 8 overall selection; the Broncos will have to move ahead of the 49ers to land Mark Sanchez.

The difference between Picks 8 and 12 is 200 TVC points. The value of the selection No. 79, one of Denver's two third-round choices, is 195 points.

So, for a mere third-round pick, the Broncos can obtain their new franchise quarterback. Meanwhile, the Jaguars can still land Vontae Davis at No. 12, and they would be able to pay him less money. Plus, they'll get a third-rounder out of the swap. Not a bad deal for both teams.

Why would the FO simply not trade into the top 10 with the Cutler trade?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Let's remember something NO traded from 10 to 7 NE got their #2 in this draft. I think it would cost us our #48 to move to 8 imo.

If Det goes QB do you think Sanchez or Stafford will last to 8? Then look at Wash they could surely move up to and grab one esp after losing out on Cutler. You know Danny could offer 09 and 10 #1 to move up. If one falls to 8-10 range I'd expect us to move up. I think we could make a move before draft to position ourselves in top 8 we'll see. I could live with a 12 to 8 move up but, would prefer moving down and adding another #2 in 09.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 04-03-2009 at 11:59 AM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
Elway777
Ring of Famer

I think Jacksonville will be looking to draft a wide receiver or Offensive tackle. They could get Macklin or Other at 12 spot.
Elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
Ditto.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Don't know whom he may have been talking about, but McD said they were not yet finished in FA. That could entail trades also.....
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

I dont think Sanchez is a target at all. Mid rounder IMO, someone he can groom like Harrell, Painter or Bomar.

Kyle Orton will be given a chance to lead this team this year and if he does a good enough job he'll get extended.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I love the Sanchez move, but the I loathe the Wells pick. It wouldn't take next year's 2nd or the early 3rd to move to #9 to get Sanchez.

It's only 150 value points to move from 12 to 9, and pick #84 is worth 170.

Michael Johnson will be long gone by the time we pick in the 2nd. Some interesting late picks, but the top is suspect.
Johnson will go on the second, there is to much boom or bust feeling about him.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

While the Broncos might be tempted to snatch Sanchez if he drops to 12, I don't see them trading picks to get him. IMO, they turn the first four picks (minimum) over to Nolan.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #16
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
I dont think Sanchez is a target at all. Mid rounder IMO, someone he can groom like Harrell, Painter or Bomar.
I think that mid-rounder they use is the 3rd they acquired from Chicago for Cutler.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #17
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
While the Broncos might be tempted to snatch Sanchez if he drops to 12, I don't see them trading picks to get him. IMO, they turn the first four picks (minimum) over to Nolan.
Beanie Wells and then Nolan gets the next 3 picks.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #18
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
I think that mid-rounder they use is the 3rd they acquired from Chicago for Cutler.
Agree totally Herc and if I was a betting man I'd say it's Bomar.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

i like the effort, HATE this mock draft. Capital H. Any draft involving us trading up to get a QB is pointless in my opinion
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #20
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Kyle Orton will be given a chance to lead this team this year and if he does a good enough job he'll get extended.

In McDaniels press conference, he pretty much said that he's not looking to draft someone who will help in 4 years.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #21
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Agree totally Herc and if I was a betting man I'd say it's Bomar.
Im guessing it will be someone like Mike Reilly in the 5th or 6th.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #22
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

I'd piss myself if 60% of our day 1 picks are on offense
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #23
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I'd piss myself if 60% of our day 1 picks are on offense
Get ready. What did McDaniels say a couple of days ago about the offense not being that good. I think people are going to be surprised how Denver draft with more choices going to offense then people think.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #24
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Orton is 26 years old...

why people keep thinking we won't give this guy a chance is beyond me...

he's proven...not Pro Bowl proven, but proven...he's got a lot of playing experience and has faced plenty of defensive schemes...

why package picks you so desperately need anyway to acquire an unknown commodity like Sanchez?...

Sanchez doesn't even have a lot of college experience...

no, the broncos are gonna load up on defense with this draft and they will be targeting front seven talent...

Kyle Orton is in a contract year and this is an unbelievable opportunity that just fell in his lap...

i believe he'll do well...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #25
db56
Seasoned Veteran

I believe Sanchez is a second round pick at best.
db56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: