The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,062

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Maualuga's bust factor scares NFL teams

By Nolan Nawrocki

Entering the season, scouts were enthralled with this year’s MLB class, featuring Ohio State’s James Laurinaitis, USC’s Rey Maualuga and LSU’s Darry Beckwith, all of whom received high marks from evaluators.

However, as the season progressed, concerns were brought to the forefront. Maualuga began missing too many tackles, Laurinaitis stayed blocked too long and Beckwith could not find the football.

With a chance to redeem themselves at the NFL Scouting Combine, none of them stood out, as Maualuga pulled out of the workout with a hamstring injury suffered running his first 40-yard dash. On Wednesday, Maualuga has another chance to prove himself at USC's highly anticipated pro-day workout, but the way we hear it, nothing Maualuga does will erase the concerns teams have about him on tape and off the field.

“Chart how many times he is on the ground,” one longtime evaluator said, “and you will see why I think he will always struggle in the pros. He had so much talent around him — that defense may be as talented as I’ve ever seen in college. It covers up a lot of mistakes.”

For as fearlessly as Maualuga may run through contact and as violently as he may deliver some big hits, he too often struggles to break down in the open field and gets caught out of position by taking false steps. His instincts still leave a lot to be desired. Scouts that revisit the Trojans’ loss to Oregon State have come away even more unimpressed, as Maualuga’s shoddy tackling was identified as a major reason for the 27-21 loss to the Beavers.

The rest is here for my good buddy TheReverend

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...whi040109a.htm
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist
 
DB-Freak's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,958
Default

He's gonna be a bust.
DB-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Kaylore
Greatest owner in Denver
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
6 AFCC's 2 SB's!!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,419

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

TheRev will be in here shortly to play damage control and explain how awesome he is. I swear that guy is his agent.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,047
Default

SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,692

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

I think he has some talent but ultimately, it will depend on where he goes.

If Denver reached on him at 12, he's gonna suck and he'll never be what we want him to be.

If he goes to some place like Baltimore, where they can break him down, get him working with some real professionals on defense... he'll probably be alright with some limitations.

Just a roll of the dice.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue
 
no-pseudo-fan's Avatar
 
Follow me...

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: EPT
Posts: 2,113

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo
Default

I like Rey, and I like Mathews. The one I would pass on is Cushing. Cushing can not get better. Rey can, and so can Matthews.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
I like Rey, and I like Mathews. The one I would pass on is Cushing. Cushing can not get better. Rey can, and so can Matthews.
Heres the rest of the article,

Despite leading the team with 12 tackles, Maualuga was not able to stop Oregon State RB Jacquizz Rodgers from consistently gashing the defense straight up the gut. Maualuga’s sprained right knee reportedly did not have any swelling after the game when an MRI was taken. However, he did not play against Oregon the following week, as Brian Cushing replaced him in the middle, leading scouts to question how much the benching was related to injury and how much was related to performance, the latter of which inside sources say was a greater factor in his absence.

Laurinaitis and Beckwith both brought great leadership to the field and have been model citizens off it. The same can not be said for Maualuga, who program sources publicly said had matured after finding trouble early in his career while dealing with his father's battle with cancer.

Maualuga not only showed poor judgment preceding the Rose Bowl, when he mocked ESPN reporter Erin Andrews, and later apologized, inside sources also have pointed to the need for Maualuga to be closely monitored, as well-trusted fellow linebackers Keith Rivers and Cushing were deliberately assigned to be his roommates on the road to provide the stability he needed to stay out of trouble.
"He has a high bust factor," said one NFL executive responsible for stacking his team's draft board. "There is a lot there that scares me. There is a right price for everyone, but I would not feel comfortable taking him in the first round where we are picking. The money is too great. You cannot afford to make mistakes and expect to recover from them."
Cushing vs. ORE
8 tackles, 5 TFL, with one sack. He was a beast in the middle.

NFL scouts don't admire Cushing for his statistics, but for his versatility. Athletic and instinctive enough to star at linebacker and yet big and strong enough to compete at defensive end -- as he did in starting 13 games at the position in 2006 when injuries forced the Trojans to be creative -- Cushing is arguably the draft's most versatile defender.

Your crazy. Cushing is already a steller player who can play at a high level at a # of positions on the field. Plus hes a great field general, as well as a leader off the field. And yes, he still can improve.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,501
Default

I like Cushing alot but will they take if he is there at 12
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue
 
no-pseudo-fan's Avatar
 
Follow me...

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: EPT
Posts: 2,113

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo
Default

So do you pick the player with the highest ceiling or the highest floor?
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer
 
ohiobronco2's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
I like Cushing alot but will they take if he is there at 12
God I hope not, he will probably be held together by hello kitty band aids after film study. Seriously, Marshalls McDonalds wrapper and Griese dog, if they belonged to Cushing, would be murder suspects at this point.
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobronco2 View Post
God I hope not, he will probably be held together by hello kitty band aids after film study. Seriously, Marshalls McDonalds wrapper and Griese dog, if they belonged to Cushing, would be murder suspects at this point.
Unless he playing these clowns. Then he takes the little, hello kitty stickers off the back of those helmets as trophies!
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #12
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
So do you pick the player with the highest ceiling or the highest floor?
Trust me on this one em kay!?!? We want to draft #10!

socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

I've been down with Cush for a while - http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...hlight=cushing
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #14
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer
 
ohiobronco2's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Unless he playing these clowns. Then he takes the little, hello kitty stickers off the back of those helmets as trophies!
Fair Enough.

The fact that Brandon Saine spent the majority of the year dealing with minor injuries only adds to the comedy for me. I'm surpised that when Cushing tackled him, they didn't both shatter.

Last edited by ohiobronco2; 04-02-2009 at 11:27 AM..
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,908

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

I'll be very curious to see how high Matthews goes.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #16
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobronco2 View Post
Fair Enough.

The fact that Brandon Saine spent the majority of the year dealing with minor injuries only adds to the comedy for me. I'm surpised that when Cushing tackled him, they didn't both shatter.
Well, you can allways take comfort in knowing that like Cushing, who started every game last year, at least Saine "manned up" and played through injury unlike the other RB from Ohio St who avoided it at all co$t, and disapeared for the majority of the season. Especially when it mattered most against TEX.
I wonder how many "hello kitty" stickers he was awarded for that?
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer
 
ohiobronco2's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Well, you can allways take comfort in knowing that like Cushing, who started every game last year, at least Saine "manned up" and played through injury unlike the other RB from Ohio St who avoided it at all co$t, and disapeared for the majority of the season. Especially when it mattered most against TEX.
I wonder how many "hello kitty" stickers he was awarded for that?
He played a full season. Impressive. He should get an Ironman award. Must be all of those hello kitty stickers holding him together.

Only started 16 games his first three years at Southern Cal...Missed nearly half of his freshman season with a shoulder injury and was held out of some of the following seasons spring drills while recuperating...Sat out most of spring practice in 2007 with a strained hamstring then had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee...Also missed extensive action during the 2007 season with an ankle injury...Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any games...Has played defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker for the Trojans...Manufactured athlete who should test well but isn't that impressive on film and often looks like a defensive end in a linebacker's body...Is overrated as a pro prospect but has the talent to start at the next level if he can somehow find a way to stay healthy.

Sounds worthy of a number 12 pick, right?
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"
 
bpc's Avatar
 
1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 13,692

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I'll be very curious to see how high Matthews goes.
Cushing is the safest pick, Maualuga probably has the most upside but its close with Mathews but I think Mathews is a better player right now.

The only problem is Mathews has started the least amount of time from the 3 and is now being talked about as a mid-late 1st rounder. There is a definite bust factor there as teams will reach high to take him.

I think all of them will be late 1st round picks but Maualuga and Mathews should probably be slotted in round 2 at best based on what they have done.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #19
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobronco2 View Post
He played a full season. Impressive. He should get an Ironman award. Must be all of those hello kitty stickers holding him together.

Only started 16 games his first three years at Southern Cal...Missed nearly half of his freshman season with a shoulder injury and was held out of some of the following seasons spring drills while recuperating...Sat out most of spring practice in 2007 with a strained hamstring then had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee...Also missed extensive action during the 2007 season with an ankle injury...Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any games...Has played defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker for the Trojans...Manufactured athlete who should test well but isn't that impressive on film and often looks like a defensive end in a linebacker's body...Is overrated as a pro prospect but has the talent to start at the next level if he can somehow find a way to stay healthy.

Sounds worthy of a number 12 pick, right?
Looks like it. His injury bug seems to have worn off.
You missed the best part.
Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any gamesHas played defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker for the Trojans
A few bumps and nicks here and there, but as long as he avoids the dreaded concussion syndrome, unlike Mr.Glass, he'll be just fine!
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #20
ohiobronco2
Ring of Famer
 
ohiobronco2's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Looks like it. His injury bug seems to have worn off.
You missed the best part.
Broke a bone in his right hand in 2008 and played with a cast but didn't miss any gamesHas played defensive end, outside linebacker and inside linebacker for the Trojans
A few bumps and nicks here and there, but as long as he avoids the dreaded concussion syndrome, unlike Mr.Glass, he'll be just fine!
It's comical to me that you are taking this so personally. I simply stated that Cushing has problems staying healthy and you got all bent out of shape. I don't want Denver to draft him for that reason. Sorry, he can't stay healthy. You are acting like a typical biased college football fan. Learn to be honest about the college football team you follow and their players abilities and limitations. I know it's hard, but try. I never targeted USC as a whole, but you immediately went after OSU as soon as I mentioned Cushing has question marks. You in turn call Beanie Mr. Glass (BTW, if we can pick and choose playing through injuries, he never missed a game last season with a ankle injury and broken wrist. His coach held him out of the USC game, if not for Tress, he would have only missed one game.), I don't care for a couple of reasons. 1. I know he has missed time with injuries, it's not a secret. 2. A running back shouldn't be our number one priority at 12. If Beanie is Mr. Glass, is Cushing Mr. Sand?

BTW, get him out of your vagina.
ohiobronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #21
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobronco2 View Post
It's comical to me that you are taking this so personally. I simply stated that Cushing has problems staying healthy and you got all bent out of shape. I don't want Denver to draft him for that reason. Sorry, he can't stay healthy. You are acting like a typical biased college football fan. Learn to be honest about the college football team you follow and their players abilities and limitations. I know it's hard, but try. I never targeted USC as a whole, but you immediately went after OSU as soon as I mentioned Cushing has question marks. You in turn call Beanie Mr. Glass (BTW, if we can pick and choose playing through injuries, he never missed a game last season with a ankle injury and broken wrist. His coach held him out of the USC game, if not for Tress, he would have only missed one game.), I don't care for a couple of reasons. 1. I know he has missed time with injuries, it's not a secret. 2. A running back shouldn't be our number one priority at 12. If Beanie is Mr. Glass, is Cushing Mr. Sand?

BTW, get him out of your vagina.
"The Sandman" Yeah, i like it. "He'll put you to sleep" Yeah, yeah thats good.
They can play "enter sandman" by Metallica when Cushing comes out onto the field.
Thats perfect.
Thats an awful long diatribe for someone who isnt taking this personal.
You dont need any Kleenex do you?
Hey! That should be Tressels new nickname! "Kleenex"!!!

Last edited by socalorado; 04-02-2009 at 01:30 PM..
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #22
chaz
highly touted recruit
 
chaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,455

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton
Default

Maualuga = Nate Webster 2.0??




just a thought...probably more raw talent but the same inconsistencies...
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #23
chaz
highly touted recruit
 
chaz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,455

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Trust me on this one em kay!?!? We want to draft #10!

chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #24
skpac1001
Ring of Famer
 
skpac1001's Avatar
 
I brings the ruckus

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Temecula, Ca
Posts: 1,091

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

You know, the one thing that makes Maualuga look a little better to me is when I think of Montrose saying Nolan liking to switch looks between the 4-3 and 3-4 looks with the same personnel on the field when he was with the Niners, Maualuga switching between these roles makes me a little more comfortable then Davis.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Denver Broncos