The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Default NflBronco's wonders how would you approach these draft scenerios

I was watching CBS4 last night as they were discussing the Broncos (Nothing about Jay) they said, something that I have been pondering about all day today. Since I'm still not sure myself I'm going to ask the draft guru's here their thoughts.

Let's leave out a what if Cutler trade scenerio for now and McD should be fired stuff.

I'm not sure if they were really suggesting this or not but, it crossed my mind.

They were wondering how FO will handle this draft(Win now approach draft wise or think win 2010 or 2011 draft approach.)

So this is what I'm asking if it was your job to rebuild this present team how would you do it.

I would like to see how each of you would approach both scenerio's see what you'd come up with?

Draft #1- Your plan is to build a solid team that could make playoffs this year. What would you do in draft to get it done?

Draft #2- Your plan is to look beyond 09 and think 2010+ for playoffs. Since your taking the slower route retooling what would you do differently in your draft approach vs Draft 1.

Can't wait to see your thoughts.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 03-31-2009 at 03:36 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Wait for them.........
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
mattob14
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I was watching CBS4 last night as they were discussing the Broncos (Nothing about Jay) they said, something that I have been pondering about all day today. Since I'm still not sure myself I'm going to ask the draft guru's here their thoughts.

Let's leave out a what if Cutler trade scenerio for now and McD should be fired stuff.

I'm not sure if they were really suggesting this or not but, it crossed my mind.

They were wondering how FO will handle this draft(Win now approach draft wise or think win 2010 or 2011 draft approach.)

So this is what I'm asking if it was your job to rebuild this present team how would you do it.

I would like to see how each of you would approach both scenerio's see what you'd come up with?

Draft #1- Your plan is to build a solid team that could make playoffs this year. What would you do in draft to get it done?

Draft #2- Your plan is to look beyond 09 and think 2010+ for playoffs. Since your taking the slower route retooling what would you do differently in your draft approach vs Draft 1.

Can't wait to see your thoughts.
Well, today's news kind of squashes the original intent, but if we were to keep Jay and the rest of the offense intact, here's what I'd do:

Option 1: Draft slightly lower-ceiling players who can make an immediate impact at positions of need. I'd stay at #12 and look for Tyson Jackson and Ron Brace early, bolstering the line, then turn my attention to any sliders with pass-rush ability in the middle rounds.

Option 2: I'd focus on the high-ceiling, raw talent, and would probably focus on a trade down. I'd try to target Philly's 2 #1's or Detroit's picks at #20 and #33. With those two picks, plus our 2nd, I'd target Connor Barwin, Gilbert, and a RB (whoever slides to #48). In the 3rd, I'd look to add depth with Brinkley or Eric Wood and pick up a NT (Sammie Lee Hill?) in the 4th.

Both draft address needs, I just feel that option 2 provides more upside and, quite possibly, more overall value.
mattob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Option 1: Draft a RB high (1st or 2nd), draft 1 LB high (1st or 2nd), draft DL in the 3rd, and S in the 4th. Runningbacks and linebackers can often contribute right away and a 3rd round DL would be able to play in rotation right away.

Something like this:

1. Brian Cushing
2. Lesean Mccoy
3. Alex Magee
4. David Bruton

In the long term strategy I would go: DL in round 1 or 2, OLB in round 1 or 2, CB in round 3, WR, S and OG/OC in rounds 4 and 5, something like this:

1. Everette Brown
2. Ron Brace
3. Sherrod Martin
4. Austin Collie
5. CJ Spillman
5b. AQ Shipley

DL and pass rushing OLBs often take a year or two to get used to the physical stuff and the CB would be groomed. WRs are often slow as rookies and take time to learn the route tree, the only player who would have a hope of playing a lot as a rookie is the S who would play in some passing situations.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: