The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Broncos bringing in Wells for a second look

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...an-Diego-.html

Quote:
Could Wells end up in Denver or San Diego?

March 28, 2009 6:49 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

A source close to the situation confirmed Ohio State star running back Chris "Beanie" Wells will visit both the Denver Broncos and the San Diego Chargers prior to the April 25-26 draft. Wells is considered a sure first-round pick.

San Diego is clearly going to consider running backs. The Chargers are planning a private meeting with Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno, the other top running back prospect. The interest in Wells and Moreno comes despite the fact that the Chargers are tying up nearly $13 million in salary this year to running backs LaDainian Tomlinson and Darren Sproles. Plus, San Diego has pressing defensive needs.

Broncos running backs coach Bobby Turner held a private workout with Wells a couple of weeks ago so the team is clearly interested in him. Wells would be entering a crowded backfield if drafted by Denver.

Denver signed three veteran running backs this offseason. Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan were all brought in. The Broncos also have youngsters Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis.

Sometimes teams use pre-draft visits as decoys. Teams will visit with players from positions they have no intentions of drafting in the early rounds in an attempt to fool other teams. Former Denver coach Mike Shanahan routinely did that. Perhaps this is what new Denver coach Josh McDaniels is doing with Wells.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I would rather take Donald Brown, or Jennings later in the draft.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

no thanks...

I like the kid from UCONN in the second or third
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
no thanks...

I like the kid from UCONN in the second or third
Youre delusional.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

I would be shocked if we drafted a RB

Im not sure Hillis isnt better than Wells
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
I would be shocked if we drafted a RB

Im not sure Hillis isnt better than Wells
Go look at who we've been bringing in. Its one thing to think we wont take a RB but its another to be shocked. I wouldnt be shocked at anything they did. It almost seems like the FA signinngs were done to give them draft day flexibility.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Go look at who we've been bringing in. Its one thing to think we wont take a RB but its another to be shocked. I wouldnt be shocked at anything they did. It almost seems like the FA signinngs were done to give them draft day flexibility.
With the aquisitions of Buckhalter, Jordan, and Arrington on top of Hillis already, I would be very suprised if we go RB early.

I think we will just get the best available front 7 defender assuming he fits a 3-4 and is what the coaches are looking for
Old 03-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
With the aquisitions of Buckhalter, Jordan, and Arrington on top of Hillis already, I would be very suprised if we go RB early.

I think we will just get the best available front 7 defender assuming he fits a 3-4 and is what the coaches are looking for
Thats not at all what you said previously.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Thats not at all what you said previously.
This thread is about Beanie, obviously it would require a high pick to get him.

That is what I was referring to, a high pick.

I guess I wasnt clear.

I still would be suprised if we go RB any earlier than like a 4th
Old 03-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I guess I wasnt clear.

The 4th round stuff is a waste. No thanks. That approach is played.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
meangene
Ring of Famer

I think Wells is going to be a franchise back in the NFL. I think at 12 he could be the best player on the board. I realize opinions may differ. Thing is do we draft a RB with all the defensive front seven needs? Now, maybe if we are involved in a trade, or trades that nets us some more picks it makes a whole lot more sense.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

hell yes, bring this bad mother****er to Denver and let the rest of the league tremble in his wake.

and if not him Rashad Jennings.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
I think Wells is going to be a franchise back in the NFL. I think at 12 he could be the best player on the board. I realize opinions may differ. Thing is do we draft a RB with all the defensive front seven needs? Now, maybe if we are involved in a trade, or trades that nets us some more picks it makes a whole lot more sense.
last season in 5 games when Peyton Hillis was starting for us. Jay threw 9TDs to 4INTs, 1500 yards, the offense scored almost 30PPG, and the Defense was allowing 19PPG.

the point being we had good production out of the running game and our scoring went up, and the points allowed by our defense went down.

so with a rebuilding defense a good RB could be one of the best things we could get and would be a wise investment with our 1st round pick

Quote:

I guess I wasnt clear.

have the last few years of suck from the RB position not ended the desire to bring in another late round piece of crap to fix RB position.

how many more Young's, Bell's, Hall's, Torain's, Boyd's, do we need to go through with piss poor results before people on this board get over the we can plug anyone into our system and get results?

it isn't working anymore. the last one that did was Anderson and that was a really long time ago.

1 year spending a high pick on a very important weapon for the team is a smart thing to do, and it sets the position up for the next 5 years at least.

a good RB will chew clock, open passing lanes, and keep our weak ass defense off the field.

Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 03-30-2009 at 08:11 PM..
Old 03-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
last season in 5 games when Peyton Hillis was starting for us. Jay threw 9TDs to 4INTs, 1500 yards, the offense scored almost 30PPG, and the Defense was allowing 19PPG.

the point being we had good production out of the running game and our scoring went up, and the points allowed by our defense went down.

so with a rebuilding defense a good RB could be one of the best things we could get and would be a wise investment with our 1st round pick

have the last few years of suck from the RB position not ended the desire to bring in another late round piece of crap to fix RB position.

how many more Young's, Bell's, Hall's, Torain's, Boyd's, do we need to go through with piss poor results before people on this board get over the we can plug anyone into our system and get results?

it isn't working anymore. the last one that did was Anderson and that was a really long time ago.

1 year spending a high pick on a very important weapon for the team is a smart thing to do, and it sets the position up for the next 5 years at least.

a good RB will chew clock, open passing lanes, and keep our weak ass defense off the field.
We have a good RB on the roster already, his name is Hillis
The jump from Hillis to Wells(assuming there is one, which I am not convinced there is) does not justify a 1st round pick.

A good RB may chew up clock, but you know what else helps a defense?
Good players.
We have only a few, we need to get more.
The draft is where we can get top talent.

RBs get so beat up so much that their value really isnt worth it unless he is THAT good, and like I said I am not even convinced he would be an upgrade over Hillis

Arent you glad we didnt draft a RB high last year?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
The jump from Hillis to Wells(assuming there is one, which I am not convinced there is) does not justify a 1st round pick.

Good players.

RBs get so beat up so much that their value really isnt worth it unless he is THAT good, and like I said I am not even convinced he would be an upgrade over Hillis

i would have gone absolutely crazy with joy over the selection of Jonathon Stewart last season, so no, i wish we had gotten a RB early, instead of trash known as Torain. if you look at old posts, Sttewart was who i was pimping and wanting us to draft.

i agree completely on the Hillis part. if it were possible, he is who i would want as our starting RB. but the guy who has brought in 3 guys for his job and supposedly put him on the trade block doesn't seem to agree, and with that in mind, i want Wells, or Jennings in the draft.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #16
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Good players.

Adrian Peterson is unquestionably the best RB in the NFL today. He's spelled by a former 1,200 yard rusher.

When Ladanian Tomlinson was in his prime he was spelled by Michael Turner.

In New England they spelled Corey Dillon with a host of RBs, most notably the very versatile Kevin Faulk.

We could easily give Wells 20 carries while also giving Hillis 10 carries and 5 catches on an average Sunday. Hell, it'd probably make both of them more effective.

If Turner and McDaniels see a guy who could go 20 carries a game at 5.0 ypc then I'd say they're pretty obligated to at least see how he stacks up to the other options we'll have at #12. Chances are that won't include Raji, Jenkins, Curry, and at least one if not both of Orakpo and Brown. So if we're sitting at #12, no one wants to move up, and we're looking at taking either Brian Cushing who's a solid but unspectacular LB with a high floor/low ceiling projection or Beanie Wells who might be a dominant back in this league, who would you chose?

It makes a lot of sense.

Also, a nice little something in that article for the McDaniels haters. Bobby Turner held the private workout for Wells, and aparently wanted another. So before assuming that McD was the reason we brought in a bunch of low cost middle tier RBs maybe ask yourself who's really making those calls.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #17
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
i would have gone absolutely crazy with joy over the selection of Jonathon Stewart last season, so no, i wish we had gotten a RB early, instead of trash known as Torain. if you look at old posts, Sttewart was who i was pimping and wanting us to draft.

i agree completely on the Hillis part. if it were possible, he is who i would want as our starting RB. but the guy who has brought in 3 guys for his job and supposedly put him on the trade block doesn't seem to agree, and with that in mind, i want Wells, or Jennings in the draft.
Except the choice wasnt either Torain or Stewart, had we drafted Stewart we would not of gotten Clady.

Fortunately for us we took the franchise tackle.
RBs are a dime a dozen, for the most part.

As far as what McDaniels sees in Hillis, I wont make any conclusions until preseason about how he will use Hillis.
Hillis is the best RB on the roster, Im sure McDaniels will find that out if he doesnt already know
Old 03-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #18
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Adrian Peterson is unquestionably the best RB in the NFL today. He's spelled by a former 1,200 yard rusher.

When Ladanian Tomlinson was in his prime he was spelled by Michael Turner.

In New England they spelled Corey Dillon with a host of RBs, most notably the very versatile Kevin Faulk.

We could easily give Wells 20 carries while also giving Hillis 10 carries and 5 catches on an average Sunday. Hell, it'd probably make both of them more effective.

If Turner and McDaniels see a guy who could go 20 carries a game at 5.0 ypc then I'd say they're pretty obligated to at least see how he stacks up to the other options we'll have at #12. Chances are that won't include Raji, Jenkins, Curry, and at least one if not both of Orakpo and Brown. So if we're sitting at #12, no one wants to move up, and we're looking at taking either Brian Cushing who's a solid but unspectacular LB with a high floor/low ceiling projection or Beanie Wells who might be a dominant back in this league, who would you chose?

It makes a lot of sense.

Also, a nice little something in that article for the McDaniels haters. Bobby Turner held the private workout for Wells, and aparently wanted another. So before assuming that McD was the reason we brought in a bunch of low cost middle tier RBs maybe ask yourself who's really making those calls.
If Wells really is that much better than everyone else on the board, then I guess I wouldnt be too upset.
Hillis though could be our workhorse, and get spelled by Buck, Jordan, and JJ.
Like I said earlier, I am not sure Wells really is that much better than Hillis
I see it as we already have our RB, we dont need to get another one.
It would be like drafting Maclin to me

I dont see how Jackson wont be there for us at 12, is his ceiling that much lower than Wells?

I also take into consideration the shelf life of a RB.
These guys take a beating, there are no guarantees they wont wear down after 5 years.

Last edited by Br0nc0Buster; 03-30-2009 at 09:10 PM..
Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #19
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
If Wells really is that much better than everyone else on the board, then I guess I wouldnt be too upset.

I dont see how Jackson wont be there for us at 12, is his ceiling that much lower than Wells?

These guys take a beating, there are no guarantees they wont wear down after 5 years.
It would not surprise me one bit if Wells name is called or Harvin's for that matter at 12. Yeah I'd prefer front 7 help most of all. I'm kind of thinking Wells might land into top 10 come draft day. Who knows what our new FO will do.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #20
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Wells is better than Hillis. Drek is dead on. The arrangement he described gives flexibility to use Hillis in a variety of ways including at RB as opposed to what youre saying, which makes him a RB with lesser RBs spelling him. Again, if theres one thing that kind of makes sense with the signings its that they give the teams draft flexibility. You say McDaniels signed RBs already but he's also signed a LB leaving 7 in the fold. He's also signed, what, 3 DBs?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #21
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Look, you guys are nuts on Hillis. I like the guy, but you people act like he's a proven Earl Campbell. He has a single 100 yard rushing game and a single 100 yard receiving game in his career. Try to have some prospective, folks. He seems to bring versatility to the table, but Wells certainly would not be a bad addition to the mix, especially since I suspect the Arrington signing will be primarily for the return game.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Except the choice wasnt either Torain or Stewart, had we drafted Stewart we would not of gotten Clady.

Fortunately for us we took the franchise tackle.
RBs are a dime a dozen, for the most part.

As far as what McDaniels sees in Hillis, I wont make any conclusions until preseason about how he will use Hillis.
Hillis is the best RB on the roster, Im sure McDaniels will find that out if he doesnt already know
i agree i am glad we got Clady over anyone else.

but the question posed to me was about with our injuries to the position last year, was i glad we didn't use a high pick on one.

and yes, if we had gotten Stewart we would not have gotten Clady, and i an happy with the way we went, but had we gotten Stewart our offense would have looked really good, and we wouldn't have had to deal with all the lame false hope generated from Torain
Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:

i think Jackson is the best in a really weak class of 3-4 DEs and not really as good as he is ranked.

but with Wells, 240lbs on 4.38 speed, that is freakish ability you can't teach. pair him with Hillis and you create a fierce tandem that will bowl over defenses as well as keep ours off the field and open up passing lanes for Jay.

think of it like LT and Turner, with Wells our LT and Hillis our Turner. would be almost impossible to gameplan against
Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #24
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
i think Jackson is the best in a really weak class of 3-4 DEs and not really as good as he is ranked.

but with Wells, 240lbs on 4.38 speed, that is freakish ability you can't teach. pair him with Hillis and you create a fierce tandem that will bowl over defenses as well as keep ours off the field and open up passing lanes for Jay.

think of it like LT and Turner, with Wells our LT and Hillis our Turner. would be almost impossible to gameplan against
I think Id rather have Gilbert than Jackson. And nevermind the pool video. The guy is awesome at handfighting.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #25
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Fisher in Tennessee told Lendale White when he drafted him, that in 5 years he is going to draft his replacement.

and yes RBs wear down after 5 years and with the position, you just draft a new one. look at the Chiefs and LJ, they gave him a major contract after a few years in his rookie deal and now they are stuck with him. i say get a RB on a 5 year rookie contract, let him play it out and draft a new one, unless the old RB is willing to give a hometown discount, then re-sign that guy and get a replacement to take carries from him.

Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 03-31-2009 at 02:15 AM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: