The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,646

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default Tell Peyton Hillis “White men can’t run”.

It’s obvious when you look at NFL rosters, there is a serious lack of white running backs. There are several white fullbacks listed, along with Denver’s fan favorite Peyton Hillis. Of course we all know how Hillis was moved to tailback by default due to a rash of injuries suffered at the position. Fullbacks are rarely drafted high and they perform a thankless job delivering car-crash blocks in the hole to pave the way for the running backs. It would seem to be a no-brainer that Josh McDaniel’s would review the films and see the huge potential that Peyton Hill’s has if given the opportunity to compete at tailback. Mc Daniels could be playing the overwhelming odds that “white men can’t run”. There hasn’t been a white running back gain 1000 yards in the NFL since Craig James did it for the Patriots in 1985 (28 years ago). John Riggins gained over 1000 yards in 1983 and 1984 with the Redskins. I see Peyton Hillis as a mirror image of John Riggins and a force that would energize the Denver fans. I think we could all use a little energizing right now.

More trivia, The last white tailback drafted in the 1st round was Penn State’s John Cappelletti with the 11th overall pick in 1974.
Rob Lytle played running back for the Denver Broncos from 1977 to 1983 most yards in one season was 408 in 1977.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Oh boy....
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

wow

just wow
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,390

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby
Default

McDaniels is a racist!
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Rabb
No Luca, No!
 
Rabb's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,492

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
McDaniels is a racist!
I know, when I asked him about it he cleared his throat and wouldn't look me in the eye!!!!
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

There we have it: McDaniels wants to trade Hillis because he's racist against white running backs.

Come to think of it... it's probably why he wants to dump Scheffler for Graham, and why he signed Gaffney to take Stokely's spot, and Andra Davis, even though Spencer Larsen is perfectly capable of playing MLB.

There you have it ... our coach is a RACIST!

Last edited by Mogulseeker; 03-29-2009 at 09:21 AM..
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
broncofan7
Ring of Famer
 
broncofan7's Avatar
 
BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BIG D
Posts: 6,005
Default

Hey, at least we have a white WR -albeit and old one.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
There we have it: McDaniels wants to trade Hillis because he's racist against white running backs.

Come to think of it... it's probably why he wants to dump Scheffler for Graham, and why he signed Gaffney to take Stokely's spot, and Andra Davis, even though Spencer Larsen is perfectly capable of playing MLB.

There you have it ... our coach is a RACIST!
Oh hey, Mighty Smurf, nice avy. Tell me, where'd you get the "inspiration" for that? Just curious.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,646

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkana7 View Post
McDaniels is a racist!
I know your comment is in jest and I’m not calling McDaniel’s or any other coach or owner a racist. I'm pointing out the double standard in the NFL. The subject of ‘White” NFL running backs are taboo for conversation on most NFL talk shows and in the print media. We are all aware of how the media declares “foul play” when it comes to black head coaches and Quarterbacks in the NFL. Would there be a media outcry if there were no starting black running backs? I just want to see Hillis get a fair shot, thats all!
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp View Post
Oh hey, Mighty Smurf, nice avy. Tell me, where'd you get the "inspiration" for that? Just curious.
You.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #11
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I know your comment is in jest and I’m not calling McDaniel’s or any other coach or owner a racist. I'm pointing out the double standard in the NFL. The subject of ‘White” NFL running backs are taboo for conversation on most NFL talk shows and in the print media. We are all aware of how the media declares “foul play” when it comes to black head coaches and Quarterbacks in the NFL. Would there be a media outcry if there were no starting black running backs? I just want to see Hillis get a fair shot, thats all!
If you go to the youtube video on here posted about Hillis, over half the comments there are about his race.

One of my favorites was something along the lines of "The NFL is biased against white players. If Hillis were black, he'd have been a top 15 pick."
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,721

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
If you go to the youtube video on here posted about Hillis, over half the comments there are about his race.

One of my favorites was something along the lines of "The NFL is biased against white players. If Hillis were black, he'd have been a top 15 pick."
if hillis does NOT get a shot at starting RB this year, on what other grounds could anyone ever possibly base it on?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
if hillis does NOT get a shot at starting RB this year, on what other grounds could anyone ever possibly base it on?
Well, I'm NOT calling McDaniels a racist (when I did, it was being sarcastic), but it has to be an issue with the coach.

I was extremely excited when we picked up McDaniels, but if he doesn't see the talent Hillis has, he isn't worth the plane ticket from Boston to Denver.

There is an argument for his offensive system, an argument that was tron out when he signed LaMont Jordan, who has almost an identical style of play as Hillis, except Hillis can block an catch better.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,721

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
Well, I'm NOT calling McDaniels a racist (when I did, it was being sarcastic), but it has to be an issue with the coach.

I was extremely excited when we picked up McDaniels, but if he doesn't see the talent Hillis has, he isn't worth the plane ticket from Boston to Denver.

There is an argument for his offensive system, an argument that was tron out when he signed LaMont Jordan, who has almost an identical style of play as Hillis, except Hillis can block an catch better.
hillis runs far better than jordan too, i honestly dont know why jordan was ever signed..
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #15
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic
 
s0phr0syne's Avatar
 
Absorb and Redirect

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,626

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
There hasn’t been a white running back gain 1000 yards in the NFL since Craig James did it for the Patriots in 1985 (28 years ago).


Hmmm, seems like if you're going to create a rant thread, you should probably bother yourself to learn some 'rithmetic:

2009 - 1985 =/= 28.



Is your post from the future? You're telling me we're looking at 4 more years without a white running back gaining 1k?
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbmasterflash View Post
I know, when I asked him about it he cleared his throat and wouldn't look me in the eye!!!!
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,823
Default

He is from Boston!!!!
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #18
Arkie
Ring of Famer
 
Arkie's Avatar
 
The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 10,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
hillis runs far better than jordan too, i honestly dont know why jordan was ever signed..
Jordan never was New England's guy. I think he's just insurance here too. They had four running backs with over 70 carries and all under 750 yards and all not named Maroney. Maroney hasn't stayed healthy enough to have a 1000 yard season in any of his first three years.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #19
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

JMO, but I think Hillis is going to get a shot at the position. I think he is a perfect fit for McDaniels 1 back system.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #20
BABronco
RP2012
 
BABronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,173

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
JMO, but I think Hillis is going to get a shot at the position. I think he is a perfect fit for McDaniels 1 back system.
I hope so. It would be a shame not to have him on the field as much as we can. And seeing how he excelled at RB that is where he should be. Not FB wasting his time and talent.
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #21
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I know your comment is in jest and I’m not calling McDaniel’s or any other coach or owner a racist. I'm pointing out the double standard in the NFL. The subject of ‘White” NFL running backs are taboo for conversation on most NFL talk shows and in the print media. We are all aware of how the media declares “foul play” when it comes to black head coaches and Quarterbacks in the NFL. Would there be a media outcry if there were no starting black running backs? I just want to see Hillis get a fair shot, thats all!
Are there a lot of elite white running backs at the collegiate level who are ignored in the NFL draft? Because if there is, then your rant about how there haven't been any white running backs drafted in the first round in two decades actually holds water. If not, then... no.

Hillis played fullback in college. Might have been the reason he was drafted to play, you know, fullback.
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #22
FireFly
Ring of Famer
 
FireFly's Avatar
 
The window is open!

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
JMO, but I think Hillis is going to get a shot at the position. I think he is a perfect fit for McDaniels 1 back system.
I agree with the 2nd, but unfortunately not the 1st.

I'm barracking for Hillis more than any other one sinlge player on our team. He deserves a shot at being our feature back, I just get the impression that Coach has already decided he's not the man for the job/
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #23
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,302

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I'm so grateful the first post was bolded. Can we get a repost in all caps too?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #24
NYBronco
Ring of Famer
 
NYBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 2,990
Default

I believe Bobby Turner will be filling McDaniels ear about Hillis' skills.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #25
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
I believe Bobby Turner will be filling McDaniels ear about Hillis' skills.
After the Broncos fired Shanahan, I wrote a blog saying Turner should have been the next Broncos head coach.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Denver Broncos