The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Default Can we laugh at this guy?

Honestly, I'm done with this pinhead. Jay, we hope this isn't you circa 2020...

Jeff George: I would have led Minnesota Vikings to Super Bowl title
George: I'd have titles with Vikings
By Sean Jensen
sjensen@pioneerpress.com
Updated: 03/27/2009 11:51:52 PM CDT

Jeff George The Savior?
Would Jeff George have led the Minnesota Vikings to a Super Bowl title, as he claims he would have?
Absolutely not.
Maybe. He had an arm.
AP + JG = SB title, baby!
Sure, if this were 1994.

Jeff George, 41, hasn't thrown a pass in an NFL game in almost eight years, and he hasn't been on an NFL roster since 2004.

Yet George insists he could have led the Vikings to their first Lombardi Trophy by now, citing the team's superstar, running back Adrian Peterson, and star-studded defense.

"There's no doubt about it," George said in an interview with the Pioneer Press on Friday afternoon. "Because of the type of defensive personnel they have, and when you have an Adrian Peterson ... you line him up with a veteran quarterback, who knows where to go with the ball, it's an unstoppable combination."

In a story posted earlier Friday, George told Yahoo.com that, if he were playing for the Vikings, "I guarantee I'd be wearing a ring right now."

George didn't want to compare himself to Gus Frerotte or any other veterans — Kelly Holcombe, Brad Johnson, Brooks Bollinger among them — who have had a crack at running the Vikings' offense. But George said he could replicate the kind of success late-30-something quarterbacks such as Kurt Warner and Brett Favre had last season ... with one exception.

"There's no question I could do the same things they did, at a minimum price," George said. "I don't care about my age. I can still do the same things I did when I was 25. I'm so used to throwing against five, six, seven DBs. With Peterson, it's about the running game. Play-action passes will give you all the time to throw.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then you're one-on-one with (Bernard) Berrian and (Sidney) Rice on the sidelines.
"How easy is that?"

Last season, Frerotte posted a 73.7 passer rating, good for 28th in the NFL. Tarvaris Jackson had a 95.4 rating but didn't qualify for the overall rankings because he didn't have enough pass attempts.

George begrudged that NFL teams simply won't give him a chance. He has talked to teams about bringing him in for a workout or a minicamp so he could show what he can do, "with no strings attached."

"The problem is, nobody is looking for a 40-year-old guy that can still play," he said. "They're looking for someone in their 20s that they can develop and not create any distractions for their starter. I'd be happy to come in as a second- or third-stringer. And if that person doesn't come along, then I could step in.

"The bottom line is, I wouldn't cost anything."

George continues to work out, just in case he gets that opportunity.

Aside from the issues at quarterback, George has been enthralled with the Vikings for another reason: His wife has relatives in the Twin Cities.

"Selfishly, it was the best fit for me," George said before quickly adding, "but we had a lot of success there. So it would be an ideal situation."

George is referring to his 1999 season, when he rallied the Vikings to an 8-2 finish after starter Randall Cunningham struggled. The Vikings lost to the St. Louis Rams in the divisional playoffs 49-37, although George completed 29 of 50 passes for 423 yards with four touchdowns and one interception.

"Wouldn't the fans at the Metrodome want to see if I can do again what I did in '99?" George asked. "That would be all Brad Childress, for bringing me back. It would be a storybook ending. It would be unbelievable."

Childress, the Vikings' head coach, dismissed a possible comeback in October 2007, when George told the Pioneer Press he would be a great fit for the Vikings. At the time, Childress suggested George could play in a fantasy camp, summarizing the quarterback's level by saying "downside would probably be ... kind."

"I remember his comment a few years ago. How do you get around that?" George said. "But I know I'd be the right man for the job. But it's a matter of convincing him to bring me in and take a look at me.

"I guarantee he wouldn't say, 'You don't have it.' "

Long live Technoball, Battlebots, and Madden Football!

Last edited by Circle Orange; 03-28-2009 at 09:09 AM..
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Jeff George The Savior?

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 05:36 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

championship...
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote