The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default How to solve the Cutler mess

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Jay Cutler-Denver Broncos stalemate is the story of the 2009 NFL offseason and was a hot topic at the NFL owners' meeting this week.

ESPN.com spoke with one NFL head coach, a general manager, a player, an executive and an agent about the situation, and got several interesting opinions on how the situation could be resolved so that Cutler, a 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback entering his fourth season, could stay in Denver. Because the situation is sensitive and ongoing, all of the subjects requested anonymity.

The head coach: The head coach stressed that the NFL is a quarterback's league and the only true way a team can find success is with strong quarterback play. Thus, the coach said it is imperative the Broncos and Cutler come to an accord.

Still, the coach said it is vital that the team doesn't give in to Cutler, instead urging Cutler to get back with the Broncos at the offseason workout program and to fit in with his teammates.

"He's an important player, but it's still about the team," the head coach said. "The team has to let Jay know how important he is, but also, Jay has to realize there are 52 other guys on the team. They all have to find a way to end this and get on with the goal of the season and that is to win. Everyone needs to be on the same page here. Basically, both sides need to drop their issues now and do what best for the team and that's to get together and move on."

The GM: The GM indicated he was shocked to see what has happened in the first two months of the Josh McDaniels era in Denver.

He said he thought the Broncos' decision to hire McDaniels was perfect because of Cutler. McDaniels earned a reputation in New England as an innovative, tough teacher. The GM said he thought Cutler could take the next step in his career under McDaniels.

Now the GM doesn't know what to think. He admitted the issue is a reminder that relationships can be destroyed quickly in the league.

Still, the GM said he believes the situation can be solved because all parties are bright and reasonable. Denver sources have said the team wants to take some time and allow cooler heads to prevail. The GM agrees with that tactic.

"The Broncos can't give up on this," the GM said. "The key is handling your emotions. Both sides have to realize [that] and become nonemotional, which isn't always easy. They have to treat this as business and find a way to move on. Will it be easy? No, I don't think it will. But it has to be figured out."

The player: A former Denver player said he is shocked this problem has occurred after watching Cutler develop under former coach Mike Shanahan.

"It was all built around Jay there and that's the way it should be," the player said. "He is a talented player."

The player believes that this rift isn't beyond repair and that both sides have to trust each other. He said he believes the Denver locker room is not overly worried about the saga or taking sides.

"Guys get used to these sorts of things," the player said. "The new coach has to let Jay know that he is ready to move on and he is ready to work with him and Jay is going to have to get over it. It can work."

The executive: The front-office executive believes that every team must treat its quarterback as special and like a star until the day he is no longer the quarterback.

So, in a sense, the executive said the team needs to make Cutler feel better because the team still wants him to be its quarterback. The executive said it doesn't matter whether Denver initiated the trade-related calls (the Broncos say they didn't and Cutler says they did). What matters most is the future and making Cutler believe that he is wanted.

The executive suggested Denver offer Cutler a contract extension. Cutler has three years remaining on his deal. The executive said the Broncos should make their offer public and if Cutler still isn't satisfied, then the team would know that he doesn't want to be a Bronco. That would put the team in position to move on. If Cutler takes the offer, then the team and Cutler can easily move forward.

"It's all about taking control of the situation," the executive said.

The agent: The agent agrees with the executive. He believes this rift has become an issue of money and that the only way Cutler could remain happy in Denver is with a new deal. He said it doesn't matter that it didn't begin as a contract issue.

The agent said when there are trust issues for players, the only way to regain trust is for the team to offer a new contract that will keep the player in town for the rest of his career.

"The Broncos say they are committed to him," the agent said. "The only way of showing that is to give him a new deal. Jay would be happy and the team would fix this problem with an act of good faith ... but it may be easier said than done."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0...tler-mess.html
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Oh thank God...I was wondering what the Broncos would do...thank you Bill Williamson...you saved Christmas...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I think at this point what needs to happen is that Cutler and Mcdaniels get together and work out how to get the Broncos in the playoffs and how to get Cutler to dominate in this system.

If they can sit down and work out how to succeed personally and as a team, that will go a long way, that will also mean that the front office can get in and begin talking new deal for next year.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
socalorado
Ring of Famer

THE MONTROSE SOLUTION

7 years 100 Million
35 million gauranteed
No Trade Clause (the 35 mil is in essence a no trade clause)

Not that i like any of the parties involved attitude or shenanigans, but i can guarantee that this solution would have Jay in Dove Valley tommorow, and all this just goes away.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I would make Cutler read this.
http://www.altpenis.com/penis_news/f...loplasty.shtml
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
THE MONTROSE SOLUTION

7 years 100 Million
35 million gauranteed

Not that i like any of the parties involved attitude or shenanigans, but i can guarantee that this solution would have Jay in Dove Valley tommorow, and all this just goes away.
Man, I can't think of a bigger mistake than to give him a new contract in a situation like this.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

I'll take 2.

Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

No offense to you Tony R, but this is all just more mumbo jumbo from Espn. I hope Jay just shows up and ends everything,, but it won't. We'll hear abotu it all season long...
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I say start negotiating a new contract, now. It's gonna take a while to get a new deal done anyway. The point is to show Jay the Broncos are serious when they say he's the QB.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Oh thank God...I was wondering what the Broncos would do...thank you Bill Williamson...you saved Christmas...

No kidding, this moron writes his stuff at the local McDonalds
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Pecking Order
1. Owner
2. Head Coach
3. Player
4. My Wife
5. My Dog
6. Agent
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Pecking Order
1. Owner
2. Head Coach
3. Player
4. My Wife
5. My Dog
6. Agent
Here's a prediction:

Cutler will be a starting Pro Bowl QB in the NFL longer than Josh-Crennel-McDaniels will be a Head Coch in the NFL!!! And Cutler will win SB(s).....but it won't be with McDaniels.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Quote:
OH MY GAWD!!!
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #14
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
THE MONTROSE SOLUTION

7 years 100 Million
35 million gauranteed

Yep! I agree. At this stage in Jay Cutlers career.....he has the Leverage, the Youth, and the Talent to win out on getting another long term contract.

Denver can pay now or pay dearly down the road.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Yep! I agree. At this stage in Jay Cutlers career.....he has the Leverage, the Youth, and the Talent to win out on getting another long term contract.

Denver can pay now or pay dearly down the road.

O.K., my ignorance,

But couldn't Cutler possibly do better next Year if there isn't a CBA?
bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronclvr View Post
O.K., my ignorance,

But couldn't Cutler possibly do better next Year if there isn't a CBA?
Good point, you never know.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #17
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Tell Bus Cook to take a hike

That could go a long way into fixing things
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
THE MONTROSE SOLUTION

7 years 100 Million
35 million gauranteed

i think it would be best to just restructure his current deal and make his roster bonuses guaranteed and add in a no trade clause. he doesn't get more money like Bus Cook wants, but he does get the show of good faith from the team and peace of mind in this situation.

and if he performs well this year, then re-open the talks of a new contract in a year or 2.

i think it is the best way to ensure that both sides are happy in the situation.

Bowlen isn't on the hook for Peyton Manning money yet, and Jay gets his guarantee he won't be traded, and Xanders and McDaniels can **** off
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Here's a prediction:

Cutler will be a starting Pro Bowl QB in the NFL longer than Josh-Crennel-McDaniels will be a Head Coch in the NFL!!! And Cutler will win SB(s).....but it won't be with McDaniels.
I'm "all in" with Cutler as our QB and hope it works out, but the ony way he's a starter in the Pro Bowl, is if Brady or Manning is hurt or if he is traded to the NFC.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #20
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

WTF is wrong with you sometimes?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

WTF is wrong with you sometimes?
Be honest, you clicked through all the tabs on the left didn't you!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #22
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Be honest, you clicked through all the tabs on the left didn't you!
Sorry, no time to respond, still looking...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:52 PM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
I'm "all in" with Cutler as our QB and hope it works out, but the ony way he's a starter in the Pro Bowl, is if Brady or Manning is hurt or if he is traded to the NFC.
Manning i agree will probably always be listed ahead of Jay, but with Brady, i am really not expecting much from him anymore. i think the knee injury will leave him a little shell shocked this upcoming season and after that he is already out of his prime, so while he will be a pro bowler, i don't see anymore starts in his future.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #24
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I say start negotiating a new contract, now. It's gonna take a while to get a new deal done anyway. The point is to show Jay the Broncos are serious when they say he's the QB.
Actually I think that is the perfect idea. Bring it up in talks, express you believe he is the guy long term and that a bigger contract will be in the works. See what kind of response that gets and go from there. If we do give him a new deal before the season, it will be fine. Is Jay a Tom Brady, no. Did the Broncos get to the AFC Championship game a few years back with Plummer under center, yes.

I think Jay has enough talent to lead this team to a Superbowl, but just as we found out when Elway was our leading man, he can't do it alone. We need our dominant running game back and we need much better special teams and defense.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #25
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
That is quite sensible. Both sides can save face, and Denver can lock him up later in the season when MacD feels comfortable with him (have to show respect to the coach as well). The bonus for Denver is that it will be substantially cheaper to extend his contract during the season than in two years, especially if MacD is able to teach Cutler discipline, and he turns out to be a good HC.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote