The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Popps
It's so easy

Default Tribune: Bears don't need a quitter like Cutler...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,820080.column

Chicago Bears don't need a quitter like Jay Cutler
Rick Morrissey | In the wake of the news
March 27, 2009
Imagine the uproar in town if Kyle Orton demanded to be traded at the first whisper the Bears were considering sending him to another team.

Your imagination is spot on: Orton would be the subject of a million different violent fantasies, all of them ending in his bloody demise. Being dragged through the streets of Chicago by the team bus would probably lead the voting.

And yet the quarterback whom Bears fans are in a lather about did just that sort of demanding in Denver. Jay Cutler has asked to be traded because he's upset that new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels had the gall to express interest in trading for then-Patriot Matt Cassel.

It would be an inaccurate description to say McDaniels' wandering eye sent Cutler into an emotional tailspin. It was more like a mushroom cloud. How could the Broncos even ponder such a thing after all Cutler had done for the franchise in OK, it was only two seasons as a starter, but how could they ponder such a thing?

It's fairly easy to explain the Broncos' one-time interest in Cassel, though Cutler apparently hasn't grasped it yet: The NFL is a business.

Oh, and Denver is 17-20 with Cutler as a starter.

The central question to any discussion involving the Bears and the possibility of acquiring Cutler is not how much general manager Jerry Angelo would be willing to give up in a trade or how the offensive scheme would have to be tweaked to accommodate all of his considerable talents.

It's this: You're going to entrust the Bears' offense to a guy who, at the first indication of "adversity," basically quits on his team?

Does anything about this situation suggest Cutler is a team player? No, not when he gives in so easily to pride and/or insecurity. It's hard to see how this situation is different than any of the numerous difficult situations that confront a quarterback on any given game day.

How will Cutler react when a teammate drops a pass? How will he react when he feels an official made a bad call? How will he react to public criticism?

Not well, would be the guess here.

There's no disputing he had a great season in 2008, throwing for 4,526 yards, completing 62.3 percent of his passes and tossing 25 touchdowns against 18 interceptions.

But since when does three seasons in the NFL, two as a full-time starter, translate into superstardom and the right to total job security? It doesn't.

What's scary here is Angelo's previous assertion that the Bears need to get the quarterback position "right." Orton must be wondering how he became the problem when he has a set of wide receivers straight out of Comedy Central. But it's not Orton's nature to say that, and if the Bears are smart, they'll take a hard look at character, which is what they say they look at so carefully.

Orton wasn't the problem last year. He had the aforementioned poor receivers. The defense was bad.

But you never heard him complain about his ankle injury, though there's no question it affected his season. You never heard him complain over the last few years that the Bears had dealt him a rotten hand when they crowned Rex Grossman without any quarterback competition.

You didn't hear a peep out of him as the Cutler talk heated up around town. None of that necessarily makes Orton a great quarterback, but I'd much rather have someone in the huddle who doesn't cave in at the first sign of trouble.

It's hard to understand Angelo's preoccupation with the quarterback position now, after all the up-and-down struggles with Grossman. When Orton was healthy last season, he was more than solid. He was good. The only way Angelo's quarterback-concentrating makes sense is if he doesn't want Orton to get any ideas about a fat contract when his old one gets set to expire.

McDaniels now is saying he wants Cutler back, which is the kind of thing you say if, A) you suddenly realize you don't have another quality starting quarterback or, B) you realize that if you give the impression you want Cutler gone, other teams are going to lowball you in trade talks.

In Chicago, this likely is a moot point because it's hard to see the Bears parting with the draft picks it would take maybe a first, second and third over the next few years to get Cutler. Seeing as how the franchise has been quiet in free agency and trading, it's seems obvious they're big on building through the draft.

I'm sure Orton wishes the Bears would declare their complete trust in him. But this is a business, and he apparently understands it. If his past is any indication, he might even be thinking about competition in a way Cutler never would: Bring it on.

This aside, rumors are surfacing in Chicago that they're stepping up their interest in a trade...
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotr...ars-radar.html
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

What can they possibly offer in exchange? Orton? Grossman?
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Sodak
Clueless...

Who stole my avatar?

Someone wake me up after the draft... yawn.
Sodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I can't wait until the day Cutler wins a Superbowl for us, and Popps plays it off like he was riding shotgun all along...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodak View Post
Someone wake me up after the draft... yawn.
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Quote:
It's this: You're going to entrust the Bears' offense to a guy who, at the first indication of "adversity," basically quits on his team?

Does anything about this situation suggest Cutler is a team player? No, not when he gives in so easily to pride and/or insecurity. It's hard to see how this situation is different than any of the numerous difficult situations that confront a quarterback on any given game day.

How will Cutler react when a teammate drops a pass? How will he react when he feels an official made a bad call? How will he react to public criticism?

Not well, would be the guess here
Haha, you have three years of tape on the kid, he doesn't quit. He said he is going to show up for mini camps. He is pissed off right now, and staying home during the off season, at least for now. How you can take that and then apply it to the field while ignoring all the evidence to the contrary, I don't know. But it is pretty comical.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:
There is something to be said here but im sure its been said one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine times.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I can't wait until the day Cutler wins a Superbowl for us, and Popps plays it off like he was riding shotgun all along...
So anyone that sides with McDaniels now, is not allowed to enjoy Cutlers success? A couple of weeks ago I believed the situation was irreparable, but now it seems like things may get fixed. I read Popps post's too and don't see him as a Cutler hater, just someone who is tired of all the bull "Mc -insert expletive here-" posts about our new coach.

I hope McDaniels wins a SB with Cutler then we can say you were both right/wrong and you can stop
Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
Meck77

Quote:
I can't wait until the day McDaniels wins a Superbowl for us, and Taco plays it off like he was riding shotgun all along...

Same goes for the Gutless drunk!
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
And he will! What are you doing, Popps? Scouring the Internet for quotes that agree with your position and then breathlessly starting new threads on it?

I can't see how longtime Broncos fans are so eager to side with this child - this newcomer - who's never been a head coach on any level, much less in a front office position of authority. I'm with Herm Edwards and Merril Hoge - the onus is on the new guy to straighten things out.

At this point I'm just hoping this kid coordinator can make it to his first training camp with our best player still on the roster. THAT'S my measuring stick for him now.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
And he will! What are you doing, Popps? Scouring the Internet for quotes that agree with your position and then breathlessly starting new threads on it?

I can't see how longtime Broncos fans are so eager to side with this child - this newcomer - who's never been a head coach on any level, much less in a front office position of authority. I'm with Herm Edwards and Merril Hoge - the onus is on the new guy to straighten things out.

At this point I'm just hoping this kid coordinator can make it to his first training camp with our best player still on the roster. THAT'S my measuring stick for him now.
Champ will be on the team for the foreseeable future.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #12
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Quote:

I dont see it as siding at all. I see it as disliking a certain childlike behavior coming from the "leader" of this team. And the fact that the rest of the league has concerns about that only amplifies the situation at hand. Hopefully, Jay can get over his insecurities and McD can have the balls to entrust his gameplan with the Qb of this team so that all of this becomes irrelevant.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
CEH
Ring of Famer

Adversity? Kyle Orton is a true warrior.
Did Cutler miss a game in '07 playing with undiagnosed diabaetes.
Losing 20+ lbs as thes eason wore on for no explained reason is a cake walk

Look no one knows what makes Jay Cutler tick. He's aloof and rarely talks to the media. The only person I've read or heard who has spoken with Cutler on more than 2 occasions is Peter King of SI and he believes Cutler is a good old boy with principles and being lied to early on hit him hard.

You can listen to Peter King's inteview on 1043thefan for those interested
They normally put up all interviews. It was rather informative

Seems like things are simmering down and cooler heads will prevail.
Maybe we can get back to the reason for the season the draft
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
So you are saying you think McD is going to lead this team with Cutler to a Superbowl! Man you have come around from the gutless stance!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #15
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I dont see it as siding at all. I see it as disliking a certain childlike behavior coming from the "leader" of this team. And the fact that the rest of the league has concerns about that only amplifies the situation at hand. Hopefully, Jay can get over his insecurities and McD can have the balls to entrust his gameplan with the Qb of this team so that all of this becomes irrelevant.
Exactly. I don't have to side with either of them. I like both of them, I have hopes for both of them, and I disapprove of both of their behaviour up until this point(Though, I admit I disapprove of Cutler's attitude more). Liking McDaniels doesn't mean hating Cutler, and vice versa. I want nothing more than for McDaniels and Cutler to get along and win many Lombardis together(Well, I might actually like it more if McDaniels was fired and Shanny was brought back, but that's another story).
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #16
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
So you are saying you think McD is going to lead this team with Cutler to a Superbowl! Man you have come around from the gutless stance!
Touche ... but check this: I'll bet that if Jay survives this whole fiasco and comes in, that he will still be a Bronco after Josh is gone.

That oughtta get some chatter going ....
Old 03-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #17
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Darn I wish these people would stop writing such bad things about Jay don't they know they are hurting Jay's trade value.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #18
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post

Haha, you have three years of tape on the kid, he doesn't quit. He said he is going to show up for mini camps.
Make sure you throw out the Tape of the Patriots Game, And 3 of the 4 Chargers Games. He did quit in those games.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #19
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Touche ... but check this: I'll bet that if Jay survives this whole fiasco and comes in, that he will still be a Bronco after Josh is gone.

Josh will be gone? Dude, by the time Josh is ready to retire, we'll have developed some sort of anti-aging medicine. HEAD COACH FOR ETERNITY!
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #20
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

It just sucks that the Vikes don't want to swap T. Jackson and the Bears don't want to send us Orton. Crap it looks like we will HAVE to start yet another year with Jay Cutler. **** the media and there reports, they are just stopping us from getting a true franchise QB from another team.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #21
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Not well, would be the guess here.
BZZZZZZZZZ! Awww. Sorry, wrong guess!

Thanks for playing ... we have a few parting gifts for you, a Kyle Orton jersey and another 5-win season!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #22
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:

Not when the owner is ready to ship him out and is in full support of the coach. Cutler will always have a black mark in Bowlens eye until McD gets him to the SB and they win. But he pissed the coach off something fierce.

So while I get your point its lacking argument. Your witness, council.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #23
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Not when the owner is ready to ship him out and is in full support of the coach. Cutler will always have a black mark in Bowlens eye until McD gets him to the SB and they win. But he pissed the coach off something fierce.

Well, in 1991 Bowlen was nearly ready to ship Elway out ... and Reeves was gone, what ... two years later?

You never know.

I'm sticking by this ... if these two make up and Cutler comes back, then he will still be a Bronco after Josh is gone, whenever that is.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #24
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:

I'm not a owner of a team but I would like to see my rookie HC win a game in the NFL as a HC before I start thinking he can't be replaced. I'm sure McD has to prove his worth to Bowlen as well and I hope he does but just because he hired him I'm sure Bowlen would rather fix things and win instead of letting his team go down if McD does flop.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #25
deputyorange
Just Drafted

I'm so sick and tired of people mentioning Cutler's record of 17-20 and acting like he's a bum because of it. My God, the defense has been a laughing stock, and the running game went through 38 or so RBs last year.
deputyorange is offline   Reply With Quote