The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2009, 07:21 AM   #1
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Default Moats Hassled By Cop Outside Hospital Where Family Member Was Dying

This officer deserves to lose his badge.He caused a family to lose a sacred moment that cannot be replaced. Some people do not have the ability to make proper judgements and those people do not deserve to have any authority over the rest of us

NFL player's police saga at Plano hospital captured on dash cam

12:00 AM CDT on Thursday, March 26, 2009

By STEVE THOMPSON and TANYA EISERER / The Dallas Morning News

As he rushed his family to the hospital, 26-year-old NFL running back Ryan Moats rolled through a red light. A Dallas police officer pulled their SUV over outside the emergency room.

Moats and his wife explained that her mother was dying inside the hospital.

"You really want to go through this right now?" Moats pleaded. "My mother-in-law is dying. Right now!"

Officer Robert Powell, 25, was unmoved. He spent long minutes writing Moats a ticket and threatened him with arrest.

"I can screw you over," the officer said. "I'd rather not do that."

The scene last week, captured by a dashboard video camera, prompted apologies and the promise of an investigation from Dallas police officials Wednesday.

"There were some things that were said that were disturbing, to say the least," said Lt. Andy Harvey, a police spokesman.

Moats' mother-in-law, Jonetta Collinsworth, was struggling at 45 with breast cancer that had spread throughout her body. Family members rushed to her bedside from as far away as California.

On March 17, the night of their incident with Powell, the Moatses had gone to their Frisco home to get some rest. Around midnight, they received word that they needed to hurry back to the hospital if they wanted to see Collinsworth before she died.

The couple, along with Collinsworth's father and an aunt, jumped into the SUV and headed back toward Baylor Regional Medical Center at Plano. They exited the Dallas North Tollway at Preston Road, just down the street from the hospital.

Moats turned on his hazard lights. He stopped at a red light, where, he said, the only nearby motorist signaled for him to go ahead. He went through.

Powell, watching traffic from a hidden spot, flipped on his lights and sirens. In less than a minute, he caught up to the SUV and followed for about 20 more seconds as Moats found a parking spot outside the emergency room.

Moats' wife, 27-year-old Tamishia, was the first out. Powell yelled at her to get back in.

"Get in there!" he yelled. "Let me see your hands!"

"My mom is dying," she explained.

Powell was undeterred.

"I saw in his eyes that he really did not care," Tamishia Moats said Wednesday.

Tamishia Moats and her great-aunt ignored the officer and headed into the hospital. Ryan Moats stayed behind with the father of the dying woman.

"I waited until no traffic was coming," Moats told Powell, explaining his passage through the red light. "I got seconds before she's gone, man."

Powell demanded his license and proof of insurance. Moats produced his license but said he didn't know where the insurance paperwork was.

"Just give me a ticket or whatever," he said, beginning to sound exasperated and a little argumentative.

"Shut your mouth," Powell told him. "You can cooperate and settle down, or I can just take you to jail for running a red light."

There was more back and forth.

"If you're going to give me a ticket, give me a ticket."

"Your attitude says that you need one."

"All I'm asking you is just to hurry up."

Powell began a lecture.

"If you want to keep this going, I'll just put you in handcuffs," the officer said, "and I'll take you to jail for running a red light."

Powell made several more points, including that the SUV was illegally parked. Moats replied "Yes sir" to each.

"Understand what I can do," Powell concluded. "I can tow your truck. I can charge you with fleeing. I can make your night very difficult."

"I understand," Moats responded. "I hope you'll be a great person and not do that."

Hospital security guards arrived and told Powell that the Moatses' relative really was upstairs dying.

Powell spent several minutes inside his squad car, in part to check Moats for outstanding warrants. He found none.

Another hospital staffer came out and spoke with a Plano police officer who had arrived.

"Hey, that's the nurse," the Plano officer told Powell. "She said that the mom's dying right now, and she's wanting to know if they can get him up there before she dies."

"All right," Powell replied. "I'm almost done."

As Moats signed the ticket, Powell continued his lecture.

"Attitude's everything," he said. "All you had to do is stop, tell me what was going on. More than likely, I would have let you go."

It had been about 13 minutes.

Moats and Collinsworth's father went into the hospital, where they found Collinsworth had died, with her daughter at her side.

The Moatses, who are black, said Wednesday that they can't help but think that race might have played a part in how Powell, who is white, treated them.

"I think he should lose his job," said Ryan Moats, a Dallas native who attended Bishop Lynch High School and now plays for the Houston Texans.

Powell, hired in January 2006, did not return a call for comment. Assistant Chief Floyd Simpson said Powell told police officials that he believed that he was doing his job. He has been reassigned to dispatch pending an investigation.

"When people are in distress, we should come to the rescue," said Simpson. "We shouldn't further their distress."

Collinsworth was buried Saturday in Louisiana.

Rebecca Lopez of WFAA-TV contributed to this report.
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

He Should lose his badge because he is Power Drunk. The last person you would want to be a Police Officer.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

POS officer.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

That is horrible. Some people in this world truly do not deserve to have any type of authority. If I were the Moatses I would be very troubled by this. It sounds like race very well could have played a role. I hope the city does the right thing and keeps that officer off of the streets. If I were his supervisor I would expect a written apology be issued to the family at the very least.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
DB Doom
super villian

check out the big brain on Brad...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

police officers = high school bullies.

very tragic situation.
DB Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

I can't believe the lack of compassion that this guy displayed, pisses me off and I hope they do discipline him accordingly!
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I'm surprised anyone is surprised this happened. The surprising aspect is that they may look at the officer as being in the wrong. The only reason this made news was because it involved an NFL player. It happens every day and they get away with deplorable behavior every day.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Doom View Post

very tragic situation.
Exactly right.

Officer: "Do you know why I'm standing here?"
Me: "Because you got all C's in high school."
Old 03-26-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Police do a very difficult job and I sympathise with some of the abuse they get.

But when you have a-holes like this patrolling the streets, honestly what do you expect? Seems pretty blatant that he purposely dragged out a long lecture to Moats for no other reason than to be spiteful and exert his power over him.

He deserves to lose his badge, with police like him out there why should anyone respect the badge?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #10
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Nice job, Barney.

WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #11
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Unfortunately it's guys that think like this that are drawn to become police officers they want to feel powerful over people. Hopefully they make an example of this guy. Sad story.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
That is horrible. Some people in this world truly do not deserve to have any type of authority. If I were the Moatses I would be very troubled by this. It sounds like race very well could have played a role. I hope the city does the right thing and keeps that officer off of the streets. If I were his supervisor I would expect a written apology be issued to the family at the very least.
Maybe I'm naive, but I honestly don't think that race had anything to do with this. I think this was a case of a stereotypical, overly arrogant police officer. Moats was traveling with family and not a group of young men and that should have been readily apparent to the officer along with the fact that they were in a hospital parking lot.

I happen to live 2 streets over from Moats and we have a few other athletes(Jake Reed--the old MIN vikings receiver) and other well to do people in our neighborhood-- black, white, latino, asian and Indian. The area that the hospital is in is also an affluent, multicultural area of the metroplex, so it is really not out of the norm for a younger black male to be driving a nice SUV---
Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

I wonder if the cop would've behaved the same way if the woman was clearly going into labor.....would he have made her deliver right there on the street, with her hands in the air?
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I wonder if the cop would've behaved the same way if the woman was clearly going into labor.....would he have made her deliver right there on the street, with her hands in the air?
Incidents like these are great reminders as to why we have so many lawyers.....
Old 03-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #15
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
He would have arrested the baby for indecent exposure.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #16
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

What a surprise, a ****bag cop on a power trip!
Hope he loses his job and works at pop-copy the rest of his life.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #17
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
He would have arrested the baby for indecent exposure.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #18
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:

very tragic situation.
usually not the case.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #19
DB-Freak
The lone sack artist

Power always attracts the wrong type of people.
DB-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #20
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
I'm surprised anyone is surprised this happened. The surprising aspect is that they may look at the officer as being in the wrong. The only reason this made news was because it involved an NFL player. It happens every day and they get away with deplorable behavior every day.
Happens every day... I don't know if race actually played a factor or not, but I've seen enough cops doing whatever they want cause they have the badge and the gun. At some point a lot of cops forget they're there to PROTECT and SERVE and feel they're there just to lay down the law... whatever law that might be. The biggest problem is there is not an easy civil way to fight this. If it hadn't been for the dashboard cam and the many witnesses (nurses, security guards, etc...) at the hospital, this wouldn't be an issue. Its a story cause hes an NFL player, but it needs to be a story cause it happens all to often.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #21
TerrElway
Pro Bowler

Default Not the cops I know

Quote:

very tragic situation.
Most of the cops I know were kind of fringe kids in high school. Not bullies or losers but not top students or in the "popular" crowd. In other words, normal people.

Of course there are power hungry A-holes everywhere and I only know about a dozen cops in a couple of cities.
TerrElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #22
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrElway View Post
Most of the cops I know were kind of fringe kids in high school. Not bullies or losers but not top students or in the "popular" crowd. In other words, normal people.

Of course there are power hungry A-holes everywhere and I only know about a dozen cops in a couple of cities.
I know two of my HS classmates who are police officers and I agree with your assessment. But there are always exceptions and this guy's lack of an ability to think in a rational fashion certainly is not becoming of a police officer.........
Old 03-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #23
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I wonder of this guy worked in Floriday last year, sounds a little like the guy who booked Marcus Thomas.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #24
slyinky

Thar she Blows!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Video of the incident.
http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dall...d=345572&shu=1
slyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:04 AM   #25
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

see, the problem isnt with the cops ticket...

but if you pulls someone over in the hospital parking lot, let them go quickly...

this guy deserves to be put in jail actually
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote