The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
CoBear23
Seasoned Veteran

Default OT "Where the Wild Things Are"

This was one my favorite books as a kid which is now a movie being produced my Tom Hanks and directed by Spike Jonez. I'm more than a little excited to see the finished product, especially after seeing this.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/wherethewildthingsare/

Last edited by CoBear23; 03-26-2009 at 02:06 AM..
CoBear23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
Popps
It's so easy

Excellent. My girl is not even 3, and she loves that book, already. We read her the copy her brother read when he was little.

Cool stuff.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:53 AM   #3
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

That was a book I didn't care for in first or second grade. I remember I thought the "monsters" looked dumb. This loud kid in my class always screamed for the teacher to read it, which added to my distaste by association.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i always hated that story. also with as short as the book was, i am a little curious as to how they are planning to make this an actual full length movie. if anything this could be released as like a 20 minute short film, and that might be long.

the entire story can be told in about 30 seconds. kid dressed in a wolf outfit has fun chasing his dog and mom acting like a wolf, mom gets pissed sends him to his room without dinner, in his room a forest grows he comes across some monsters stares them down becomes king of that world, gets lonely and goes home and finds his mom left him his dinner.....the end.

how in the hell is that a movie? also why would anyone like that story?
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
DB Doom
super villian

check out the big brain on Brad...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Spike Jonze is awesome, the story is simple yet fun, like the world of a child.

...and capturing the emotion of being young is necessary to not becoming a cynical over opinionated a-hole.

Last edited by DB Doom; 03-26-2009 at 06:16 AM..
DB Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That was a book I didn't care for in first or second grade. I remember I thought the "monsters" looked dumb. This loud kid in my class always screamed for the teacher to read it, which added to my distaste by association.
It's a little young for that age. My toddlers love that book!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
BarefootKicker
Rant in E-Minor

that arcade fire song was perfect...
BarefootKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

Very cool. Jonez doesn't use cgi, should be interesting.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i always hated that story. also with as short as the book was, i am a little curious as to how they are planning to make this an actual full length movie. if anything this could be released as like a 20 minute short film, and that might be long.

the entire story can be told in about 30 seconds. kid dressed in a wolf outfit has fun chasing his dog and mom acting like a wolf, mom gets pissed sends him to his room without dinner, in his room a forest grows he comes across some monsters stares them down becomes king of that world, gets lonely and goes home and finds his mom left him his dinner.....the end.

Thats pretty much where I was coming from. That and at least make the monsters look cool, which the author didn't. Wasn't my cup of tea, but if you liked it or you kid did, I can see why you'd want to watch it.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

stick in a self-loathing albino monk, a devil worshipping archbishop, and a wise-crackin' race car driver and you can make a 3 hour epic out of it.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #11
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post

You know Brokeback Mountain is only like 35 pages? Its not that long of a published story. If they want to turn something into a movie, they will. I dont really remember reading Where The Wild Things Are when I was younger. I remember reading these horror story books that had a collection of ghost/vampire/scary stories but I cant remember what they were exactly called...might just be Scary Stories, I, II, III...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

For whatever reason, this trailor has sparked more conversation than any I can remember. It looks interesting...hopefully they do a good job with it. it is in good hands.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #13
CoBear23
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
You know Brokeback Mountain is only like 35 pages? Its not that long of a published story. If they want to turn something into a movie, they will. I dont really remember reading Where The Wild Things Are when I was younger. I remember reading these horror story books that had a collection of ghost/vampire/scary stories but I cant remember what they were exactly called...might just be Scary Stories, I, II, III...

Goosebumps
CoBear23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBear23 View Post
Goosebumps

No, not goosebumps. Those were seperate books. I remember a collection of scary stories, had one about a lady finding a "soup" bone in a cemetery and takes it home for soup, and she gets haunted until she gives the bone back.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

Short stories are often easier for film adaptation as its generally simpler to add detail than having to eliminate multiple elements from a full length novel.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #16
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Short stories are often easier for film adaptation as its generally simpler to add detail than having to eliminate multiple elements from a full length novel.
Agreed. Kids books can be a hit and miss prospect, though (i.e. Cat in the Hat).

I am really excited to see what Jonze does with this one. No matter what, it should be great visually.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Agreed. Kids books can be a hit and miss prospect, though (i.e. Cat in the Hat).

I am really excited to see what Jonze does with this one. No matter what, it should be great visually.
A lotof the times the studios will make these stories just because of the built in audience. Especially now, the film world relies on "sure things." The actual story doesn't matter as much as if people will watch it and if they can sell that to the international community. So you have something like Cat and the Hat, which has pretty much no story, but create one around it, you have a kown commodity that will get people talking. Bottom line is money and hopefully you have a creative team that can make a good story out of very very very very basic material.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
A lotof the times the studios will make these stories just because of the built in audience. Especially now, the film world relies on "sure things." The actual story doesn't matter as much as if people will watch it and if they can sell that to the international community. So you have something like Cat and the Hat, which has pretty much no story, but create one around it, you have a kown commodity that will get people talking. Bottom line is money and hopefully you have a creative team that can make a good story out of very very very very basic material.

They are afraid to make original movies. Thats why they stick with the same things. Because Spiderman III made 100 mil +, they will make a 4, even if there shouldnt be. Thats why its usually the smaller studios that make the better flicks, even if a ton of people dont see them. They are willing to be creative. Cat and the Hat was horrible...like Austin Powers wearing a cat suit.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
They are afraid to make original movies. Thats why they stick with the same things. Because Spiderman III made 100 mil +, they will make a 4, even if there shouldnt be. Thats why its usually the smaller studios that make the better flicks, even if a ton of people dont see them. They are willing to be creative. Cat and the Hat was horrible...like Austin Powers wearing a cat suit.

They are afraid, yes, but now, more than ever, they have to gear these movies to also sell internationally. The best way to do that is with pre-existing material and cast. Problem is, now only A-list cast really has value. So studios, obviously, really want the surest things. So popular books and sequels increase chances of profit.

Having said that, there, of course, is room for original material and great material usually finds its way to, at least, sale if not the screen. The "smaller studios" can make "better" pics because, usually, its only for a certain audience, they dont require huge, costly marketing campaigns and can also thrive on DVD. Now, sometimes, like in the case of Slumdog, these smaller pictures hit it big, but its often not the case. Also, lots of times, a movie is made independently and then purchased by the smaller studios after completion...so again, less risk involved for them.

It's all business.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #20
Don Flamenco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Sucks that this had to close down

Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote