The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default OT: Anyone seen The Wrestler?

I may a bit biased from my brief time working behind-the-scenes at Indy shows but I was blown away at how good this movie was. Wanted to get some thoughts from others who saw the movie, specifically those with little knowledge of the wrestling business.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I've heard nothing but good things, but couldn't find a theater around here that had it. DVD yet?
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
I've heard nothing but good things, but couldn't find a theater around here that had it. DVD yet?
I think it comes out on DVD soon, I live right by Tamaraq Square in Denver that shows movies at the in-between stage when they're out of most theaters but not yet on DVD. Also, I'm not sure if it was an independent movie but it sure had that feel to it.

Obviously Mickey Rourke is getting killer reviews for it, and rightfully so, but I was astounded at how accurately they were able to nail the nuances of the business. I don't believe the writer had a background in wrestling but he must've spent some significant time going to shows and talking with wrestlers because the scenes were so accurate it could've been a documentary as far as I was concerned.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Heard nothing but good things about it. Ill probably get it the day it comes out on dvd.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

I kept waiting for a plot-related turning point, and it never came. Nothing but character development, which seemed bad, but when the ending rolled around, I was overwhelmed. "Moving" doesn't begin to describe the ending.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
I think it comes out on DVD soon, I live right by Tamaraq Square in Denver that shows movies at the in-between stage when they're out of most theaters but not yet on DVD. Also, I'm not sure if it was an independent movie but it sure had that feel to it.

Obviously Mickey Rourke is getting killer reviews for it, and rightfully so, but I was astounded at how accurately they were able to nail the nuances of the business. I don't believe the writer had a background in wrestling but he must've spent some significant time going to shows and talking with wrestlers because the scenes were so accurate it could've been a documentary as far as I was concerned.
Apparently, Nicholas Cage was supposed to originally play the main role, but the director wanted Rourke. I heard the studio significantly cut the budget when that move was made.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
Majik
Man7

On Wisconsin

A touching character driven story. I've seen it twice, and loved it both times. As far as the accuracy of the portrayal of the wrestling world, it was very well done and agree with you montrose it could pass as a documentary.
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
BabyTO
Perennial Pro-bowler

^ Winner

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Timmy

Fantastic movie, great acting by Rourke. Have yet to hear somebody trash this movie...
BabyTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #9
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Lame that Penn and Milk beat Rourke for the Oscar.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

It was in my hometown theater for a total of one week. I DEFINITELY want to see this movie when it comes out on DVD...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Like most Ive heard nothing but very good reviews and Ive heard as well Mickey Rourke was Oscar worthy.
Arkansas Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #12
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I finally went and seen WatchMen, that movie blew my mind.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #13
slyinky

Thar she Blows!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I thought it was one of the best movies of the year and I am not at all a fan of professional wrestling (something I would never share with my cousin, who wrestled professionally in the 70's.) I thought the acting was superb and enjoyed the realistic portrayal of a troubled man without the typical Hollywood contrivances.
slyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:29 AM   #14
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

The best movie I have seen this year, I absolutely loved it. I am an old school wrestling fan, I don't watch it much anymore. It reminds me of that documentary Behind the Mat or Beyond the Mat, I own it but dont remember the title. It follows Mick Foley, Tony Atlas, Terry Funk, and Jake the Snake Roberts. I was enthralled, Rourke should have won the oscar
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Haven't seen it yet, but I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the movie.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #16
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos84 View Post
The best movie I have seen this year, I absolutely loved it. I am an old school wrestling fan, I don't watch it much anymore. It reminds me of that documentary Behind the Mat or Beyond the Mat, I own it but dont remember the title. It follows Mick Foley, Tony Atlas, Terry Funk, and Jake the Snake Roberts. I was enthralled, Rourke should have won the oscar
That was Beyond the Mat, although I don't remember Tony Atlas in it.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #17
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Was a huge wrestling fan for many years, went to some ROH shows when I was over in the US a few years back.

One thing that really impressed me was the way they were able to capture the atmosphere you get at an Indy wrestling event, the sense of camaraderie between the fans and wrestlers, the banter between the two groups.

Also I'm sure it was a bit of an eye-opener for a few people who just give you the "wrestlings fake" attitude. While obviously its scripted and the guys are working together rather than against each other, they put themselves through an awful lot for the sake of their profession.

Anyone who liked the film and hasn't read Mick Foley's autobiography 'Have a Nice Day', I'd thoroughly recommend it. Brilliant read, both entertaining and eye opening.

Anyway, Rourke was immense in it and I think its a real shame he didn't win the Oscar. Penn was very good in Milk but you just got the sense that Rourke went to so much effort to capture the personality you'd expect from a grizzled old veteran wrestler. In the end he pulled it off fantastically.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:49 AM   #18
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

unbelievable film...and i say "film" because "movie" doesnt give it the credit it deserves

two things

1) the budget was cut when Nicholas Cage wasnt cast to be in the film....great job by the director of sticking to his guns and not budging from his vision

2) it was filmed in NJ....a lot of the extras and the people werent even "real" actors....they were just people grabbed off the street and at indy wrestling shows who gave their time....really remarkable when that is taken into account
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #19
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
I may a bit biased from my brief time working behind-the-scenes at Indy shows but I was blown away at how good this movie was. Wanted to get some thoughts from others who saw the movie, specifically those with little knowledge of the wrestling business.

I have zero knowledge of the wrestling business, which is why I did not intend on seeing this film, but it seems that people into the indie things that I like are raving over it, so perhaps I will.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #20
Majik
Man7

On Wisconsin

Quote:
That was Beyond the Mat, although I don't remember Tony Atlas in it.
Maybe New Jack?
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #21
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
Maybe New Jack?
It was New Jack! That crazy @$$ mofo, I've been hoping to find his shoot somewhere online.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #22
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Absolutely loved it. The best movie, by far, of the year. I don't know jack crap about pro wrestling, other than it's scripted, but now I kinda dig it. This movie made the wrestlers real people, guys who put on "a show" for their endearing fans. Class acts.

This is why I hate Hollywood and the Ocars: THE WRESTLER SHOULD HAVE WON AT LEAST 2 OSCARS. And Slumbdog Millionaire should have won absolutely no more than ONE oscar.

Complete and utter BS on the Acadamy's part.

End rant.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #23
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Haven't seen it yet. It comes out on Blu-ray April 21. Bottom line: Do I get to see Marisa Tomei naked?
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post
Haven't seen it yet. It comes out on Blu-ray April 21. Bottom line: Do I get to see Marisa Tomei naked?
Yes, yes you do.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #25
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Im not too big on Indy films but I keep hearing good things about this movie. Maybe I'll pirate it. If its good I will buy it whenver it comes on DVD.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote