The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Update on B-Marsh, Buck, Tony and changes to the running scheme

Marshall must wait for league to decide fate
The Denver Post

DANA POINT, Calif. — Unlike in McJaygate, in which the involved parties have the final say on who starts the season at quarterback, there isn't much the Broncos can do for star receiver Brandon Marshall.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is confident he can repair his fractured relationship with quarterback Jay Cutler. The fate of Marshall, however, rests with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Marshall is coming off consecutive 100-catch seasons while also confronting the possibility of starting back-to- back seasons under suspension.

"As you know we spent a fair amount of time talking last summer," Goodell said Tuesday at the league's owners meetings. "I mentioned to him before that he needs to stay out of the way of any legal issues and criminal issues. While there are no charges here, at least something occurred, and we'd like to understand (it)."

Marshall was suspended for the opener of the 2008 season after Goodell ruled the receiver was in violation of the league's personal conduct policy for repeated domestic incidents. Marshall was arrested again last month after a quarrel with his fiancee. Charges were dropped the next day, but a conviction is not necessary for a player to be found in violation of the league's conduct policy.

"Obviously it's a concern," McDaniels said. "I'm sure in due time the league will address that. Charges were dropped, and we'll see where it goes if there is anything more to it."

Alleged drug dealer clears Buckhalter.

Convicted drug dealer Styles Beckles apologized to Correll Buckhalter after a prosecutor mentioned the Broncos running back as a client during Beckles' trial last week in Delaware County near Philadelphia. Beckles was convicted Friday of drug possession with intent to deliver.

"I never sold marijuana to Correll Buckhalter," Beckles said in a statement issued by his attorney. "The police listened to one conversation I had with Correll and decided it was about marijuana. It's not the truth. I have never sold, talked about selling, or given marijuana or anything else illegal to Correll Buckhalter."

Buckhalter was not charged. He played his first eight seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles until he became a free agent last month and signed a four-year, $10 million contract with the Broncos.

"I talked to Correll," McDaniels said. "I'm not doing cartwheels here, but if it's verified that (a conversation) is all it was, I would be happy about it. But we're going to make sure that's the case. It did sound like a step in the right direction."

Scheffler situation.

Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler is in impressive physical condition, thanks to intense personal workouts with Denver Nuggets strength-and-conditioning coach Steve Hess. After Scheffler suffered foot injuries on the first day of mini-camp each of the past two years, he didn't want to break his conditioning momentum, so he continued to train with Hess last week while his teammates, minus a certain quarterback, participated in the Broncos' offseason conditioning program.

It appears Scheffler has been encouraged to start showing up at Dove Valley.

"He worked out with the team today and I believe he'll continue to do so and I'm happy about that," McDaniels said.

Change to running game.

Never mind the new set of running backs (Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan) the Broncos acquired through free agency. Perhaps the most significant change to the Broncos' offense this year will be the diminished role of the zone-blocking scheme that had been a Denver staple since the Mike Shanahan era began in 1995.

"That was really their bread-and-butter," McDaniels said. "We did more gap schemes in New England, where we're going to pull a guard. I can't give that up. That's kind of my baby. But you're going to see both."

The new running scheme will showcase the agility of Broncos guards Ben Hamilton and Chris Kuper.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11991316

Last edited by montrose; 03-25-2009 at 02:02 AM..
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
Vladimir
#1 Oregon Broncos fan

Go Ducks!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Dawkins!!

I am hoping that Hamilton and Kuper will be good at this new running scheme McD is bringing in.. Hoping he doesn't diminish the zone altogether however.
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He needs to do something to hide Hamilton's tendency to get ragdolled. It seems like Schlereth was stronger by far.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Figures. McDouchebag takes one of the best lines in the NFL and will **** it up.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:41 AM   #5
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Can someone tell McDaniels it alright to borrow ideas and scheme from other teams besides the Patriots. I was really hoping that he could merge the Patriots passing attack with the ZBS that Denver made effective, taking the best of both.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
The new running scheme will showcase the agility of Broncos guards Ben Hamilton and Chris Kuper.
I can see it now...

mnnnnnnnnn...

That means quick reads.

Now McIdiot is going to desroy our pass blocking?
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:24 AM   #7
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Matt Cassel was sacked 47 times.

Jay Cutler was sacked 11 times.

First, he tries to trade Jay Cutler, 2nd, he tries to change the scheme that allowed only 11 total sacks?
Old 03-25-2009, 03:38 AM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post

First, he tries to trade Jay Cutler, 2nd, he tries to change the scheme that allowed only 11 total sacks?
He's only talking about pulling guards to attack a gap, instead of the zone in which the RB finds the cutback. Honestly you friggin Nancy boys are starting to irritate me.

What does a running scheme have to do with pass protection anyways? Let me guess you never played football?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:51 AM   #9
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Quote:

I don't like what he's doing, but there's a difference between the run and the pass...
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #10
chanesaw
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

First he messes things up with our QB, now he is about to screw up the best and most copied running scheme in the league. I see trying to mix the two as being a disaster. This guy is an idiot, no wonder Jay wants out.
chanesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:31 AM   #11
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
He's only talking about pulling guards to attack a gap, instead of the zone in which the RB finds the cutback. Honestly you friggin Nancy boys are starting to irritate me.

What does a running scheme have to do with pass protection anyways? Let me guess you never played football?
Do you honestly believe he isn't changing the philosophy of the entire team? He wants it to be his team, and his team only. Anything Mike Shanahan has done in the past is being erased.

His ego is larger than his head, atleast we know who to point fingers to when we turn into a 4-12 team.

Had we not gone through 7 runningbacks, our running game would have been fine, I do not see a desperate need for a change. but since his scheme is the only one he knows, he;ll continue to put a square into a circle.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 AM   #12
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Maybe we should trade Clady and a 2nd for Matt Light so we can have some comfort in his rushing scheme.

Last edited by frerottenextelway; 03-25-2009 at 05:35 AM..
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:34 AM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post

We need to elect Chris Crocker as Official Mascot of the Mane.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:38 AM   #14
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Do you honestly believe he isn't changing the philosophy of the entire team? He wants it to be his team, and his team only. Anything Mike Shanahan has done in the past is being erased.

His ego is larger than his head, atleast we know who to point fingers to when we turn into a 4-12 team.

Had we not gone through 7 runningbacks, our running game would have been fine, I do not see a desperate need for a change. but since his scheme is the only one he knows, he;ll continue to put a square into a circle.
wow, you are getting pretty bad.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:39 AM   #15
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

Relax, They also ran a ton of zone blocking for Maroney in New England. The thing about adding the other stuff is so had Den the last 2 years. It will simply be playing with the %'s of how much zone to gap blocking they run. Plus, this OL is built to do both finally and they are getting to know each other after a year.

I'll start the blame game if they start sucking in preseason and beyond. Way too early to get into that.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:56 AM   #16
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Relax, They also ran a ton of zone blocking for Maroney in New England. The thing about adding the other stuff is so had Den the last 2 years. It will simply be playing with the %'s of how much zone to gap blocking they run. Plus, this OL is built to do both finally and they are getting to know each other after a year.

I'll start the blame game if they start sucking in preseason and beyond. Way too early to get into that.
I am just in awe of all the offensive changes being mentioned, even the secondary being the pumped as the "primary focus" on defense.

Can we get somebody that wants to go out and get a defensive line? I don't even think i have read or heard anything about McDaniels and a defensive line. He has signed a backup, but it barely helps us.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:08 AM   #17
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:

I hope he is changing the philosophy of the entire team. Perhaps one of winning through hard work will be instilled into our players, coaches, and staff. I could care less for the Patriots, but I respect them and what they've built in New England. Shanahan was able to bring a lot from Bill Walsh... more than just Xs and Os. The McKid gets a year to show me what he's all about. As for being his team and his team only... For a 32 year old to step to the pump and take on that responsibility tells me plenty. He isn't trying to hide, he's showing a lot of maturity just by taking on that challenge.

I agree that he has a huge ego. That honestly (in part) is my biggest 'beef' with McD. My perception is that his ego is driving him to not talk to the local media and to only roll through the "big wigs" when it comes to interviews. Hopefully he'll learn from it eventually, b/c the local guys will drive the public perception whichever way they want. Woody Paige, Mike Klis, Lombardi, Clough, Armstrong, even Rivers can make or break the guy. Right now McD is putting himself into a corner trap. Wins is the only thing that can keep him alive at this point. Win and the local guys can only cry, lose and they'll cry a river that washes McD away!

Actually he's talking about a small pct. of running plays. Plays that he has had success with in New England. Plays that guys like Ben Hamilton and Chris Kuper will excel in! I think it's taking advantage of our guard's athleticism and letting them get out front and cream a LB, Safety, or CB. I'd be interested to hear what both Ben and Chris say, my guess is they would like the plays. Maybe Kupe's Dad can shed some light on the issue. Also keep in mind that he didn't say we were going to scrap the ZBS. I remember them running plenty of that the last several years. And, truth be told... Mike Shanahan ran a few similar plays himself. I can remember how nasty Chris Meyers was when he would pull. I remember him just ruining a Safety a few years ago in camp on the exact type of play that McD is talking about. It's funny that you're okay with Nolan changing the schemes completely on defense to include adding personnel he feels are good fits, but have a big issue with McD doing the same. He has to do what he knows.

Relax people. Give McD some rope here and take a wait and see approach. Right now it seems like he'll hang himself, but who knows. Maybe, just maybe he'll have enough success to make everyone forget about his rocky start.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:14 AM   #18
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

I swear it seems some of you just wake up in the morning hoping for something to b**** about when it comes to McDaniels. It's spring, go outside for God's sake and do something.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #19
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:

Did you watch NE pick Denver apart last year? I hope he changes the philosophy to a 'team' first.
When Shanahan was hired, no one was complaining about him changing the team philosophy or bringing his evil SF ways to Denver.
Change is good, let's see how it 'plays' out.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I also think that the Scheffler trade is probably off at this point. I think this ongoing situation with Jay will force the Broncos to keep him around as a "make peace" type of thing. Keeping Cutler comfortable is a piece of the strategy now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Scheff stick around. (of course, now that I say that he'll be traded tomorrow! )

McD should understand that of all people. He was comfortable with a guy like Cassel, why wouldn't be understand Jay being comfortable with Scheff?

One last point regarding the maturity issues with Cutler. Cutler hasn't had a Tom Brady to learn from and model. Cassel had the perfect environment to become a good QB. He learned from guys like Weiss, Brady, McD, and Bilichick. And while Shanny is great to learn from, Heimerdinger wasn't all that special and Bates was cutting his teeth... and Ramsey and Hackney weren't exactly world beaters. To top matters off, Cutler was given the keys early on b/c he was a #1. Cassel had no choice but to work his ass off. Completely different mindsets there. Cutler will only improve with the tutelage of McD. He'll see that commitment and it will rub off on him, just as it did on Cassel. Back to being an exciting time for Bronco fans... if they can get this straightened out!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #21
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post

Thank you. But, despite you being correct, I'm sure people will keep bringing up how Josh is trying to destroy the running game (and therefore the passing game also).
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #22
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

There are some real girls around here getting bent out of shape about possibly changing our offense.

Bulletin, changes aren't coming - they already hit us like a brick wall! Get used to it, Shanahan is gone. We do, however, still have Bobby Turner and Rick Dennison. They already coach certain styles that our line has responded to, maybe they will also teach some new ones. Chill out.

I thought some of our best football last year wasn't ZBS anyway. It was running out of the single back, shotgun set with Hillis in the backfield. It was straight gap assignment running. It kicked ass. (Partially because it forced other teams into Nickel coverage).

Can we just stop the whining around here? A lot of you guys are going to look like stupid asses if this comes off nicely for the team. And, I don't think you are very good Bronco fans for constantly complaining out of ignorance.

Watch what actually happens (on the field during an actual game), then you have the right to complain. Stop complaining about hypotheticals, it just sounds stupid after a while.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #23
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The BS continues with posters. "Oh McDaniels is going to screw things up." No offense to any women around here, but we sure have a lot of girls posting lately.

Um, the Pats have been to 4 Super Bowls the last 7 seven years, but instead of copying some of their things, what, let's copy what the Lions do instead? Makes a lot of sense.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #24
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
There are some real girls around here getting bent out of shape about possibly changing our offense.

Bulletin, changes aren't coming - they already hit us like a brick wall! Get used to it, Shanahan is gone. We do, however, still have Bobby Turner and Rick Dennison. They already coach certain styles that our line has responded to, maybe they will also teach some new ones. Chill out.

I thought some of our best football last year wasn't ZBS anyway. It was running out of the single back, shotgun set with Hillis in the backfield. It was straight gap assignment running. It kicked ass. (Partially because it forced other teams into Nickel coverage).

Can we just stop the whining around here? A lot of you guys are going to look like stupid asses if this comes off nicely for the team. And, I don't think you are very good Bronco fans for constantly complaining out of ignorance.

Watch what actually happens (on the field during an actual game), then you have the right to complain. Stop complaining about hypotheticals, it just sounds stupid after a while.

Ah, you beat me to it. Thank you. What you said
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #25
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Can someone tell McDaniels it alright to borrow ideas and scheme from other teams besides the Patriots. I was really hoping that he could merge the Patriots passing attack with the ZBS that Denver made effective, taking the best of both.
...that's...pretty much what the article says..
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote