The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Cutler and McDaniels had plans to speak by telephone Tuesday night

Reach out and touch QB
Cutler, Coach McDaniels had plans to speak by telephone Tuesday night
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

DANA POINT, Calif. — If McJaygate were a football game, and not a soap opera, Josh McDaniels and Jay Cutler might be approaching the red zone.

In what could be a significant development toward placating their contentious relationship, McDaniels and Cutler were to speak by phone Tuesday night.

No agent Bus Cook. No owner Pat Bowlen. Just coach and quarterback.

"I'm looking forward to doing that," McDaniels said.

Can they reach a resolution?

As Tuesday night wore on, McDaniels, the 32-year-old former New England offensive coordinator, and Cutler, the Broncos' 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback, had exchanged messages but had yet to speak. Apparently, the drama that is McJaygate will reach at least Day 25 today. However, a resolution could be near. McDaniels made it clear Tuesday during the annual AFC coaches' breakfast he has no intentions of trading Cutler, although he stopped short of saying his quarterback is untouchable.

Cutler is receptive to talking personally with McDaniels.

"One thing I want to do and continually want to do is meet with the player," McDaniels said Tuesday morning. "I want to meet with the player by myself. I want to meet with the player one on one. I think that's the best way to fix any kind of issue."

It was brought up to McDaniels that he kept referring to Cutler as "the player" and not by name. The impersonal reference was believed to have been carried down from Bill Parcells to Bill Belichick to his assistants, including McDaniels.

"He's our quarterback," McDaniels said. "And I'm not calling him just the player. I'll call him Jay Cutler if you want me to."

There has been friction between the coach and the quarterback since McDaniels engaged in a three-team trade proposal in late February that would have sent Cutler to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New England's Matt Cassel to Denver. Cassel was instead dealt to Kansas City, but Cutler felt misled and betrayed by McDaniels.

Since the discord became public, Cutler and McDaniels have had two conversations, the first time by conference call and, most recently, March 14 in person. Bowlen participated in the conference call. Cutler was accompanied by Cook, his agent, for each conversation. Their most recent meeting went so poorly, Cutler formally issued a trade request.

The Broncos have not acted upon that request, although many teams have inquired about Cutler's availability.

"People have left messages. I can say that," said McDaniels, adding he personally has not been contacted by any coaches or executives regarding Cutler at these league meetings, which end today.

Cutler skipped McDaniels' first team meeting last week and has yet to participate in the voluntary offseason conditioning program. The next quasi deadline in the dispute would be the team's first mini-camp, April 17-19. The Broncos clarified Tuesday their first mini-

camp remains voluntary to the players. Only one of a team's two mini-camps can be designated "mandatory" by rules of the collective bargaining agreement. The mini-camp the Broncos have labeled mandatory will be held June 12-14.

Still, the first mini-camp is the week before the NFL draft, when most football trades are made. If Cutler doesn't show up April 17, would the Broncos then consider trading him?

"No. Nope. He's under contract," McDaniels said. "He's our quarterback. I have confidence that he'll — I'm not exactly sure when that will be, but I have confidence that it'll take place."

Cutler has three more years remaining on a six-year contract he signed before his rookie season. One of the last remaining obstacles in McJaygate may involve McDaniels' repeated credo that any player can be traded if it would help the team. McDaniels doesn't believe it is good for the team if such "untouchable" proclamations are stamped on one player.

If Cutler is told he is untouchable, wouldn't Champ Bailey have the right to expect the same designation? Still, given the publicly charged situation with Cutler, McDaniels would have a strong chance of bringing closure to McJaygate if he delivered a no-trade exception to his quarterback.

"I think I would be contradicting myself if I said that," McDaniels said. "Like I said, he's our quarterback. We're committed to him, and we will always do what's in the best interest of our team. That's why we're talking about this right now, because there was a scenario that was presented that was considered. I'm not going to fall back from that."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11990145
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
ol number 7
The Champ

Flair for Life

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Craig Morton

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Reach out and touch QB
Cutler, Coach McDaniels had plans to speak by telephone Tuesday night
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

DANA POINT, Calif. If McJaygate were a football game, and not a soap opera, Josh McDaniels and Jay Cutler might be approaching the red zone.

In what could be a significant development toward placating their contentious relationship, McDaniels and Cutler were to speak by phone Tuesday night.

No agent Bus Cook. No owner Pat Bowlen. Just coach and quarterback.

"I'm looking forward to doing that," McDaniels said.

Can they reach a resolution?

As Tuesday night wore on, McDaniels, the 32-year-old former New England offensive coordinator, and Cutler, the Broncos' 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback, had exchanged messages but had yet to speak. Apparently, the drama that is McJaygate will reach at least Day 25 today. However, a resolution could be near. McDaniels made it clear Tuesday during the annual AFC coaches' breakfast he has no intentions of trading Cutler, although he stopped short of saying his quarterback is untouchable.

Cutler is receptive to talking personally with McDaniels.

"One thing I want to do and continually want to do is meet with the player," McDaniels said Tuesday morning. "I want to meet with the player by myself. I want to meet with the player one on one. I think that's the best way to fix any kind of issue."

It was brought up to McDaniels that he kept referring to Cutler as "the player" and not by name. The impersonal reference was believed to have been carried down from Bill Parcells to Bill Belichick to his assistants, including McDaniels.

"He's our quarterback," McDaniels said. "And I'm not calling him just the player. I'll call him Jay Cutler if you want me to."

There has been friction between the coach and the quarterback since McDaniels engaged in a three-team trade proposal in late February that would have sent Cutler to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New England's Matt Cassel to Denver. Cassel was instead dealt to Kansas City, but Cutler felt misled and betrayed by McDaniels.

Since the discord became public, Cutler and McDaniels have had two conversations, the first time by conference call and, most recently, March 14 in person. Bowlen participated in the conference call. Cutler was accompanied by Cook, his agent, for each conversation. Their most recent meeting went so poorly, Cutler formally issued a trade request.

The Broncos have not acted upon that request, although many teams have inquired about Cutler's availability.

"People have left messages. I can say that," said McDaniels, adding he personally has not been contacted by any coaches or executives regarding Cutler at these league meetings, which end today.

Cutler skipped McDaniels' first team meeting last week and has yet to participate in the voluntary offseason conditioning program. The next quasi deadline in the dispute would be the team's first mini-camp, April 17-19. The Broncos clarified Tuesday their first mini-

camp remains voluntary to the players. Only one of a team's two mini-camps can be designated "mandatory" by rules of the collective bargaining agreement. The mini-camp the Broncos have labeled mandatory will be held June 12-14.

Still, the first mini-camp is the week before the NFL draft, when most football trades are made. If Cutler doesn't show up April 17, would the Broncos then consider trading him?

"No. Nope. He's under contract," McDaniels said. "He's our quarterback. I have confidence that he'll I'm not exactly sure when that will be, but I have confidence that it'll take place."

Cutler has three more years remaining on a six-year contract he signed before his rookie season. One of the last remaining obstacles in McJaygate may involve McDaniels' repeated credo that any player can be traded if it would help the team. McDaniels doesn't believe it is good for the team if such "untouchable" proclamations are stamped on one player.

If Cutler is told he is untouchable, wouldn't Champ Bailey have the right to expect the same designation? Still, given the publicly charged situation with Cutler, McDaniels would have a strong chance of bringing closure to McJaygate if he delivered a no-trade exception to his quarterback.

"I think I would be contradicting myself if I said that," McDaniels said. "Like I said, he's our quarterback. We're committed to him, and we will always do what's in the best interest of our team. That's why we're talking about this right now, because there was a scenario that was presented that was considered. I'm not going to fall back from that."

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11990145
After Jay eats his crow all will be said and done. By opening day people won't remember this ever happened. Need some catsup on that crow Jay??
ol number 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

ok, it's wednesday morning. Whats the word?
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Jay isn't going to eat crow here. He's going to have to calm down and quit getting exciting about everything, but he's not going to eat crow. Some players are above other players. It's funny that they are even trying to carry that tune that no one is above the team. Have Ryan Torain demand a trade right now and see what happens to him. Let him act like a baby and say a bunch of things publicly and see what happens. He'd be cut within the hour! Jay is OBVIOUSLY above most of the players on the team. What needs to happen here is McD has to acknowledge that. Then he has to tell him that he has to be able to coach him the same way he does everyone else. If the situation calls for harsh criticism, that is what Jay will get and in front of the team. Jay has to understand that he isn't above the team in that sense and I think that is the message that McD has failed to deliver thus far. Hopefully, when they sit down one on one he can deliver that message and Jay can understand that. I personally think they'll be able to get past this and McD will find that Jay is a very capable QB. I don't think there are concerns about his "smarts", but I do believer there are concerns about his commitment and the alcohol.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #5
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

More bad habits McDaniels picked up from Darth Bellichick.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
The next quasi deadline in the dispute would be the team's first mini-camp, April 17-19. The Broncos clarified Tuesday their first mini-

The ball is in Jay's court. If he wants to stay in Denver he needs to be here April 17th.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
More bad habits McDaniels picked up from Darth Bellichick.
Why is that a bad habit? Who cares if he says "the player?" I also love the insinuation that it's a bad thing for McDaniels to use some of Belichek's methods, as if they aren't proven to be a success.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
jayman_37
Seasoned Veteran

This is the same bellicheck that was fired in Cleveland also. Hopefully McDaniels doesn't follow that route.
jayman_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:53 AM   #9
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol number 7 View Post
After Jay eats his crow all will be said and done. By opening day people won't remember this ever happened. Need some catsup on that crow Jay??
I would argue that every time McDaniels has opened his mouth over the past 5 days crow has been shoveled into his gape.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #10
ELEVATION
GO BIG OR GO HOME NOW

Knee Deep in Crazy land

Adopt-a-Bronco:
JD WALTON

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
The ball is in Jay's court. If he wants to stay in Denver he needs to be here April 17th.

actually he doesnt need to report untill june....the media is just using the draft and the april camp to spin a story. the FO is smart, Jay is under contract....come june if he hasnt shown yet he will or he starts losing big money. personally i say we do keep him and let him play his contract.

i love jay but i am tired of players finding ways out of there contracts. the NFL is a copycat league, there were good offers for Chad johnson and Anquan boldin last year and the cardinals and bengals declined. they made the players play or they could sit and lose money. the same will happen here, because its been proven it can be done......

but in the end i dont think it gets that far either....time heals all wounds.....
ELEVATION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
Dudeskey
Ring of Famer

This space for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Jay isn't going to eat crow here. He's going to have to calm down and quit getting exciting about everything, but he's not going to eat crow. Some players are above other players. It's funny that they are even trying to carry that tune that no one is above the team. Have Ryan Torain demand a trade right now and see what happens to him. Let him act like a baby and say a bunch of things publicly and see what happens. He'd be cut within the hour! Jay is OBVIOUSLY above most of the players on the team. What needs to happen here is McD has to acknowledge that. Then he has to tell him that he has to be able to coach him the same way he does everyone else. If the situation calls for harsh criticism, that is what Jay will get and in front of the team. Jay has to understand that he isn't above the team in that sense and I think that is the message that McD has failed to deliver thus far. Hopefully, when they sit down one on one he can deliver that message and Jay can understand that. I personally think they'll be able to get past this and McD will find that Jay is a very capable QB. I don't think there are concerns about his "smarts", but I do believer there are concerns about his commitment and the alcohol.
Being a diabetic and all, its a very legit concern...
Dudeskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #12
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Nope.

Josh is handling the situation the right way. These are the Denver Broncos, not the Denver Cutlers. Jay wants his ass kissed, no way the FO should do that. It sends the wrong message to the team.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_7 View Post
ok, it's wednesday morning. Whats the word?
Mcdaniels *had* plans to speak on Tuesday, implying that they were dropped. If they spoke, the headline would read "McDaniels spoke to Cutler"
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
NYBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
Mcdaniels *had* plans to speak on Tuesday, implying that they were dropped. If they spoke, the headline would read "McDaniels spoke to Cutler"
My take is that the Broncos have made several attempts to have discussions with Jay and he (Jay) has ignored them. The recent McDaniels text message has been called childish but it is a clear attempt to communicate and right now appears to be a one way street until Jay decides to reply.
NYBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21s No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELEVATION View Post
actually he doesnt need to report untill june....the media is just using the draft and the april camp to spin a story. the FO is smart, Jay is under contract....come june if he hasnt shown yet he will or he starts losing big money. personally i say we do keep him and let him play his contract.

i love jay but i am tired of players finding ways out of there contracts. the NFL is a copycat league, there were good offers for Chad johnson and Anquan boldin last year and the cardinals and bengals declined. they made the players play or they could sit and lose money. the same will happen here, because its been proven it can be done......

but in the end i dont think it gets that far either....time heals all wounds.....
I know he doesn't have to be here until June, but he needs to get into camp and start learning the new system. I might actually prefer he gets traded if he misses ANOTHER voluntary workout.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #16
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelbeef View Post
I would argue that every time McDaniels has opened his mouth over the past 5 days crow has been shoveled into his gape.
That's because you have a wildly biased perspective on the issue. Everything he's said in the last five days is consistent with what he's been saying from the beginning.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #17
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
My take is that the Broncos have made several attempts to have discussions with Jay and he (Jay) has ignored them. The recent McDaniels text message has been called childish but it is a clear attempt to communicate and right now appears to be a one way street until Jay decides to reply.
McDaniels, the 32-year-old former New England offensive coordinator, and Cutler, the Broncos' 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback, had exchanged messages but had yet to speak.

Sounds like texts were sent both ways. I'm sure they were priceless.

Also, the ''he didn't return Bowlens calls'' has been debunked. There seems to be a lot of false leaks that sure aren't coming from Cutler/Cook. Perhaps just bad reporting, perhaps not...
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

This whole thing has crossed the boundaries of silliness and now inhabits the land of ridiculous.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #19
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
That's because you have a wildly biased perspective on the issue. Everything he's said in the last five days is consistent with what he's been saying from the beginning.
Well, what he said in the beginning was ''no comment''.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Asked at what point would it be in the best interest of the team to trade Cutler, McDaniels answered: "Never."

How is that consistent with what he said in the beginning, when he said that he was considering trading him and was supposedly "late to the dance"? Early on, he did not say, "I had no interest in attending the dance."
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #21
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://twitter.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBronco View Post
What McDaniels text message?
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #22
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Asked at what point would it be in the best interest of the team to trade Cutler, McDaniels answered: "Never."

How is that consistent with what he said in the beginning, when he said that he was considering trading him and was supposedly "late to the dance"? Early on, he did not say, "I had no interest in attending the dance."
His late to the dance comment, when put in the proper perspective of the entire article, CLEARLY means too late to even give the idea serious consideration. They got the only proposal they considered serious on day one of FA. They thought so much of the offer, that they put discussion of it on the back burner while completing six FA deals. Simply considering a proposal does not necessarily mean you are serious about the proposal.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #23
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
His late to the dance comment, when put in the proper perspective of the entire article, CLEARLY means too late to even give the idea serious consideration. They got the only proposal they considered serious on day one of FA. They thought so much of the offer, that they put discussion of it on the back burner while completing six FA deals. Simply considering a proposal does not necessarily mean you are serious about the proposal.
BUT HE HAD HIS DANCIN' SHOES ON! HE WANTED TO DANCE! HE'D PICKED OUT A CORSAGE! HE REQUESTED NOVEMBER RAIN FROM THE DJ BOOTH!

****, at least someone gets what's really going on here. Inferno, good post.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
But, by definition, it doesn't matter how serious the discussion is. If you are adamant that trading him IS NOT AND NEVER WILL BE IN THE BEST INTEREST OF THE TEAM, then give me one good reason why you would even pick up the phone and consider going to the dance for a microsecond?

You wouldn't. And there are other quotes to back this up if you and Mosse don't like the "dance" one. McDaniels admitted more than once that he had at least a little interest in bringing Cassel in. To do so, he would've had to trade Cutler. How does this not conflict with his recent statement?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #25
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Inferno, good post.
I second this. Where do people get that they ever seriously considered trading Cutler? All credible evidence suggests that trade talks never got serious. People keep clinging to the "late to the dance" comment without considering context and perception.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote