The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho
Default 1990 Elway article shows similarities to Cutler

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=139192

Can't take the credit for this one, as Mojo really found something interesting over at BM.

http://www.sportingnews.com/archives...article14.html

Some excerpts:

This year, they return with a relatively young squad built on the rock-solid foundation of a stingy defense (its 226 points allowed were the fewest by any team in '89), a more consistent offense that will feature second-year running back Bobby Humphrey and, of course, the impressive gifts of Elway, who vows he won't repeat his '89 misdeeds, which included 18 interceptions. Considering the way Denver dominated the AFC last season -- it was the only team that won more than nine games -- It's difficult not to choose the Broncos this time around.

That is the new Elway attitude. Less complaining, more rolling with the punches. Of course, John McEnroe has been talking about a new attitude for years and he still can't control his tennis temper tantrums. Elway didn't have temper problems, just rabbit eyes and ears. Criticism would infuriate him, so much so that it affected his personality and, to some extent, his performance. He wasn't happy about his play last year, but he was pleased that he finally got things off his chest midway through the season.

That's when he complained, in a Sports Illustrated article, about feeling "smothered" by media coverage in Denver -- there was even a story about what he handed out to trick-or-treaters on Halloween -- and wasn't so sure he wanted to take it anymore. Then, in a revealing press conference, he calmly told the local press to, basically, go to hell. He unloaded all his complaints and felt good about doing it. Since then, his attitude has undergone a positive change.

"I've matured," he said. "When I was growing up, I dreamed of being in this league, playing quarterback. Then I was doing it and not having any fun. That had to stop."

Let's back up to last January and the days preceding Super Bowl XXIV. Along with preparing for the 49ers, Elway had to deal with reports by a Washington, D.C., television station, still unsubstantiated, that three white quarterbacks in the NFL had failed past drug tests, and with criticism from CBS-TV analyst Terry Bradshaw, who cast Elway as a stagnant, not-very-smart quarterback who hadn't developed his vast potential. Then, to go out and lay such a big egg against the 49ers made the whole episode the most unhappy period of Elway's adult life.

He didn't have to look far for more motivation. This time, it came from Hall of Fame quarterback Johnny Unitas, who once called Elway a spoiled brat for not wanting to play for the Colts, the team that made him the No. 1 pick overall in the 1983 draft (a few days later, he was traded to Denver). During the offseason, Unitas wondered when everyone would concede that Elway never would become as good as his press clippings.

Keep in mind this was after Elway's SEVENTH season in the league. Cutler is just now entering his fourth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo0730 View Post
Read the article friend. Elway in his 7th year is not the Elway in his 15th/16th year, and this article proves it.

All of you calling for Cutler's head, calling him a loser, a baby, a whiner, and saying we can't win with him...this article shows you exactly what people thought of Elway 7 years into his career.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Good stuff.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
scttgrd
Just treading water

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brandon Mashall

Brings new light to the current situation. I guess Elway was human after all, but I guess Jay gets no leeway.
scttgrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

the only difference being three Hunt Trophies and a NFL MVP
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
Wow those happened in his first three years of the league? Pull your head out.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

I'm sure someone could post some Ryan Leaf or Jeff George articles from which comparisons could be drawn as well. Not trying to imply anything, honestly, just sayin'.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
That's when he complained, in a Sports Illustrated article, about feeling "smothered" by media coverage in Denver -- there was even a story about what he handed out to trick-or-treaters on Halloween
I can remember walking my paper route and reading that issue of SI. Made me me think "Damn Denver is tough town!"
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Cutler can only keep pace with Elway if he carries the team to the next two Super Bowls, gets league MVP in 2010, goes to another SB two years later, and then have a silly article like this one written about him too.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
QFT, but these are diferent times.

Just as Elway was allowed to drive home, there wasn't the instant medium of the internets.

At the time, all we had was what kind of halloween candy his wife handed out.

Of course, there was Woody.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 PM   #10
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I tried to convey this earlier, but some people remember things going backwards, and insist everybody was riding shotgun with Elway during that time. There were still plenty of fans that were, but there were plenty that were acting then about Elway like people are acting now about Cutler.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

Yeah... The "only" difference...

Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

You guys and your correlations.

Yeah, Jay threw a touchdown in Kansas City in November of '08 (I really don't know if he did) and John did it in November of '88..

Cutler is going to the hall of fame, that settles it.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Elway didn't get his MVP until 93
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #14
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Early in his career, Elway would have been crucified on the Internet, blogs, posting boards, and the 24/7/365 news media had they been around like they are today.

Back in the day, you could be a drinking and pouting grouch and get away with it.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #15
red98
NJ Bronco Fan

New to the Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Elway didn't get his MVP until 93
red98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #16
Northman
The Enigma Prognosis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bryci

Nah, i dont see any similarities personally. Elway had already been to 3 SB's at that point. I guess i can agree with the article if we go to 3 straight SB's with Jay in the next few years. Outside of that there really is no comparison here.
Northman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:55 PM   #17
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

I guess if you try hard enough, you can make everything tie in with something.

Honestly, can Jay accomplish something first before all these useless comparisons are made? More proof that the elway hangover lingers. Every part of his situation has been analyzed and dissected by all these 'sources' each one trying harder than the last to prove this is somehow connected to the PAST.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:26 AM   #18
lazarus4444
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Coach McDaniels

Elway > Cutler (By a loooong way)
lazarus4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #19
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post

Can't take the credit for this one, as Mojo really found something interesting over at BM.

http://www.sportingnews.com/archives...article14.html

Some excerpts:

This year, they return with a relatively young squad built on the rock-solid foundation of a stingy defense (its 226 points allowed were the fewest by any team in '89), a more consistent offense that will feature second-year running back Bobby Humphrey and, of course, the impressive gifts of Elway, who vows he won't repeat his '89 misdeeds, which included 18 interceptions. Considering the way Denver dominated the AFC last season -- it was the only team that won more than nine games -- It's difficult not to choose the Broncos this time around.

That is the new Elway attitude. Less complaining, more rolling with the punches. Of course, John McEnroe has been talking about a new attitude for years and he still can't control his tennis temper tantrums. Elway didn't have temper problems, just rabbit eyes and ears. Criticism would infuriate him, so much so that it affected his personality and, to some extent, his performance. He wasn't happy about his play last year, but he was pleased that he finally got things off his chest midway through the season.

That's when he complained, in a Sports Illustrated article, about feeling "smothered" by media coverage in Denver -- there was even a story about what he handed out to trick-or-treaters on Halloween -- and wasn't so sure he wanted to take it anymore. Then, in a revealing press conference, he calmly told the local press to, basically, go to hell. He unloaded all his complaints and felt good about doing it. Since then, his attitude has undergone a positive change.

"I've matured," he said. "When I was growing up, I dreamed of being in this league, playing quarterback. Then I was doing it and not having any fun. That had to stop."

Let's back up to last January and the days preceding Super Bowl XXIV. Along with preparing for the 49ers, Elway had to deal with reports by a Washington, D.C., television station, still unsubstantiated, that three white quarterbacks in the NFL had failed past drug tests, and with criticism from CBS-TV analyst Terry Bradshaw, who cast Elway as a stagnant, not-very-smart quarterback who hadn't developed his vast potential. Then, to go out and lay such a big egg against the 49ers made the whole episode the most unhappy period of Elway's adult life.

He didn't have to look far for more motivation. This time, it came from Hall of Fame quarterback Johnny Unitas, who once called Elway a spoiled brat for not wanting to play for the Colts, the team that made him the No. 1 pick overall in the 1983 draft (a few days later, he was traded to Denver). During the offseason, Unitas wondered when everyone would concede that Elway never would become as good as his press clippings.

Keep in mind this was after Elway's SEVENTH season in the league. Cutler is just now entering his fourth.
It's a good post. But where Elway told the press to go to hell, Cutler seems to have Mortenson and Vic Lombardi on his speed dial.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #20
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

The biggest difference with the two situations is the 24x7 media coverage we see today.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #21
garandman
Seasoned Veteran

Your in my sights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
I'm sure someone could post some Ryan Leaf or Jeff George articles from which comparisons could be drawn as well. Not trying to imply anything, honestly, just sayin'.
, WHAT!!!??
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #22
BroncoInSkinland
Lurker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Current D-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post

[I]This year, they return with a relatively young squad built on the rock-solid foundation of a stingy defense (its 226 points allowed were the fewest by any team in '89)
Quote:
Seems like there might be a few more differences.
BroncoInSkinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:11 AM   #23
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

While I agree the overall insanity of sports coverage wasn't 24/7, it was hardly the dark ages of the 60s. Cable was exploding everywhere, and ESPN was king.

and while the unecessary comparisons continue, I'll throw in one of my own. No quarterback in existence had to live up to the hype and expectations like elway. because he was a rare talent (still not duplicated) everyone wanted to know could anyone be that good. many wanted him to fail, and enjoyed his early struggles. that's true of any qb. but he perservered not because of physical talent, but because he brought the whole package to the table.

the package

arm strength
mobility
strength
vision/seeing field
instincts/reaction time
charisma
deterrmination
competitor
athleticism
speed (earlier)

I can cherry pick multitudes of qbs with near equal amounts in some areas. but none of them had the whole deal like #7. why do you think even now he's held to the gold standard of #1s? No one says anything about 'the next whatever'. when other hall of famers praise a player and concede the truth, what does that say? NFL players are a proud people. No one wants to admit someone is better. Several hall of fame qbs give elway the nod. you can look up the quotes anywhere, but I'll give the names.

Jim Kelly
Dan Marino
Warren Moon
Troy Aikman
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Ben Rothlesburger
and yes, even Brett Favre

when these guys gush about Cutler the same way, come back. Otherwise, the comparisons are useless.

and on the Unitas comments about Elway. There is an article (u can find it on the web) where Unites admitted being angry with Elway for not staying with the Colts. Thus the brat comments, etc. he told Colt ownership later they should have taken Marino. This statement was made not too long before his death, as I recall. who says cleveland is the only bitter sports town?

Know why was the U so mad?

Because he felt the colts would have a situation like the yankees, and elway being his successor would insure that. he took it as a slap to the face. so after that he had little to say but criticism.

see how it works?
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:38 AM   #24
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Cutler can only keep pace with Elway if he carries the team to the next two Super Bowls, gets league MVP in 2010, goes to another SB two years later, and then have a silly article like this one written about him too.
Naw, imagine the out cry, moaning-complaining by todays Broncos fans if Cutler's led team to the SB get blow out the same way the first 3 Elway SB teams were blown out! Fans and McDaniels would sell their souls trying to get Cutler traded.....plain and simple, we live in different times.

Hell Elway was lucky he did not have to endure having his personal life out on the internet, as well as his squables and disagreements with Reeves plastered on NFL Network, blogs, and forums.

I think the article was great......it shows franchise QB's and the fans have always had drama with each other, its part of the game.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:37 AM   #25
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I tried to convey this earlier, but some people remember things going backwards, and insist everybody was riding shotgun with Elway during that time. There were still plenty of fans that were, but there were plenty that were acting then about Elway like people are acting now about Cutler.
An historical perspective? You're suggesting an historical perspective?!

But but but ... Popps and his posse have no time for that, they wanna attack Jay now!
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote