The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default Metallica’s James Hetfield Calls “Guitar Hero” a “Gateway Drug”: Inside the Band’s Ne

I have guitar hero world tour..got the whole set...one of few games i'm addicted to..can't wait for Guitar Hero: Metallica to come out!

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...ands-new-game/

A week before James Hetfield and Co. are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the metal icons’ Guitar Hero: Metallica video game hits stores, on March 29th. The new addition to the GH franchise boasts 28 controller-shredding songs taken from Metallica’s voluminous catalog as well as band-approved acts including Motorhead, Slayer and Mastodon (check out our sneak preview here!). Rolling Stone sat down with frontman James Hetfield at SXSW a few hours before Metallica’s epic “surprise” show to find out how he likes his pixellated persona, whether he thinks Death Magnetic sounds better on video game or record and if he believes encouraging kids to pick up plastic instruments is hurting their chances of learning real ones.

Which member of Metallica is the best at playing Guitar Hero?
Oh, I don’t know. I think we’re all equally bad.

As a guitarist, how are you at using the guitar controller?
The initial thought was, “This is gonna be so easy.” And then I picked it up and tried doing it. And it was like [makes plunking sound]. “Are you kidding me? You guys suck! You’re supposed to follow me!” I gotta be on with the lines. And Metallica’s not as on with the lines as some other bands. Especially having Lars as a drummer [Laughs].

How do you feel about the criticism that games like Guitar Hero are keeping a generation of kids from picking up actual guitars?
That’s an interesting backlash. I think Guitar Hero is a great gateway drug to real music. If you’ve got the music bug, nothing’s gonna stop you. It’s your destiny to express your gift.

When you were speaking out about file-sharing in 2000, Metallica was accused of being anti-technology. And now you’re on top of a technological trend…
We’ve never been anti-technology. Never ever. When we’re recording records, I want the newest, coolest gear possible. You want to combine it with the old amp or the vintage something. We’ve had one of the coolest websites from way back. Obviously the Napster part and the music-sharing was something that struck us in a different way, and we stood up for the artist. Technology’s always been a way for us to get out music out there and this is another prime example. That’s how music is connecting with people. Young kids love playing video games. Let’s school ‘em. Lars’s kid came up to me and says, “You know what my favorite song is? ‘Mississippi Queen’ by Mountain!” Where did you hear that? “It was on Guitar Hero.”

How do you feel about the way your character looks in the game?
[Laughs] Well if I had my way, it would be super giant and ugly. Well, it is anyway… There’s a bit of ego in there, like, “I wish my guns were bigger.” But it’s a chance to change yourself, maybe the way you want to be seen. Maybe there’s some psych class 101 in there… When they brought the first drawings in, everyone was cool with the other people. But with your own person it’s, “I don’t look like that! The hell?! I look like a friggin’ cavemen!” Well, Robert’s definitely a caveman. [Laughs]

What do you think about the opinion that the mastering job of your last album, Death Magnetic, sounds better on a video game than on CD?
[Laughs] Then… cool, I guess! It sounds better in my car than on my TV, I think.

What’s the first video game you fell in love with?
My buddy had Pong. We were obsessed with it. That was it, man.

Don’t miss our sneak peek at Guitar Hero: Metallica.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/puzz...ica/index.html

March 29 for 360.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

I agree, I hope more kids will pick up a guitar or base because they find out how cool it is.

I play classical guitar and was not impressed with the game, I went and got a real guitar out and played along with my nephew on the controller.

I wish they would come out with a game using a 6 string midi controller on a real guitar. That could be a huge teaching tool as well as game.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I agree, I hope more kids will pick up a guitar or base because they find out how cool it is.

I play classical guitar and was not impressed with the game, I went and got a real guitar out and played along with my nephew on the controller.

I wish they would come out with a game using a 6 string midi controller on a real guitar. That could be a huge teaching tool as well as game.
I have mixed feeling about it.

It's good to get kids interested in music and it seems like a fun game. Being a fun game is the only thing I think the GUITAR HERO people are interested in though. They don't really care if kids go on to play real instruments. In fact they probably wouldn't want them to give up the game for real instruments because its profit they are after.

I wonder if the company making all the money donates any to school music groups?

At the Namm show I saw a whole drum set hooked to some game, rockstar? something. It seemed like a lot of fun also.

My question is when are they coming up with Tuba Dork!!! Now that would be awesome.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:

Thats what i was thinking..that'd be pretty bad ass!!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:

Meh check the music classifieds, tons of guitar gods but not one friggin trombone player to round out the bottom of my horn section. Not to mention took me forever and a decade to find a keyboard player. And I can only get him to show up like half the time.

Don't even ask for someone who can actually read music and play guitar, until guitar hero puts real music up there the game is a hack.

Since you play classical obviously you can, but if I had a dollar for every rock/blues shredder that could actually read music, not just chords, I would be as poor as LABF after a Kill-The-Elephant telethon.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Thats what i was thinking..that'd be pretty bad ass!!
Well now kids would actually have to read music, learn the fingering on a real instrument, no its not a game anymore and would appeal to less kids.

Guitar Hero IMO won't do much outside of teach some timing and rhythm.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I have mixed feeling about it.

It's good to get kids interested in music and it seems like a fun game. Being a fun game is the only thing I think the GUITAR HERO people are interested in though. They don't really care if kids go on to play real instruments. In fact they probably wouldn't want them to give up the game for real instruments because its profit they are after.

I wonder if the company making all the money donates any to school music groups?

At the Namm show I saw a whole drum set hooked to some game, rockstar? something. It seemed like a lot of fun also.

My question is when are they coming up with Tuba Dork!!! Now that would be awesome.

Sadly in today economy more music/art classes are being cut, hell even some sports are being reduce.

As far a Rockband and Hero, my buddies play these games, I just think it's dumb. I rather learn real guitar (or at least play some Halen riff's)
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Well now kids would actually have to read music, learn the fingering on a real instrument, no its not a game anymore and would appeal to less kids.

Guitar Hero IMO won't do much outside of teach some timing and rhythm.
I think it'd be more appealing to young adults 18-30 than kids..i'd buy it..i'm sure it'd be pretty spendy though...
Old 03-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
Majik
Man7

On Wisconsin

My 360 died today due to the three rings of death. I hardly play it so i had no distress. Lone behold me and the girl friend had started to play, Guitar Hero World Tour, when it happened.
Majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I can play some of their some songs, will be cool to check out.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Agree. Gateway drug indeed, especially for kids who never understood the pleasure of "making" music until playing the game.. I could see some potential for frustration when they realize that real instruments take time and talent to master, but not everyone is cut out for that. The thing about these games is that it might save a couple hundred or even thousand kids from never finding out that they love making music and allowing them to move onto that scene and lifestyle.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Some of you guys are a joyless buzz kill.

At least it gets the younger generation listening to some kick ass music that they might not ever be exposed to.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 AM   #14
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

At least it gets the younger generation listening to some kick ass music that they might not ever be exposed to.
some of it is kick ass. some of it is corporate suck music, too.

I came home to visit the other day and I caught my little brother singing "my own worst enemy" by Lit (on rock band).

That will not happen again.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #15
Rigs11
Ring of Famer

The demo for this was released on xbox live last friday. it has 4 songs. it's cool,they did a great job on the character models.It's fun having some friends over and getting everyone on an instrument.
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #16
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

no doubt....

my kids love it when they hear a guitar hero song on the radio.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Somebody asked me if I played Guitar Hero, my only reply was that I play real guitar.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #18
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

It's just like twitter...

Kids don't play this game to appreciate music, they play it to pretend they are a celebrity.

It's part of the "American Idol" generation of kids that want fame and fortune, but aren't willing to develop talent or work for anything.

I get the appeal of this game, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thrown the guitar hero guitar over the back of my head and air humped an imaginary row of hot woman, drooling and oozing out of their panties, but I am a fool, and I know this about myself.

But, alot of these kids actually believe they have musical talent when they play this game, and that sets a scary precedent..

I would rather my son play GTA and kill prostitutes than to play guitar hero and think he is talented. That is much much more dangerous.

SO parents, be careful with encouraging false hope in your children, if they want to be famous and talented, than teach them the meaning of hard work and drill into their heads to make fun of their friends that get carried away with this false idol of unwarranted talent.

Last edited by OABB; 03-25-2009 at 09:38 AM..
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post

Kids don't play this game to appreciate music, they play it to pretend they are a celebrity.

It's part of the "American Idol" generation of kids that want fame and fortune, but aren't willing to develop talent or work for anything.

I get the appeal of this game, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thrown the guitar hero guitar over the back of my head and air humped an imaginary row of hot woman, drooling and oozing out of their panties, but I am a fool, and I know this about myself.

But, alot of these kids actually believe they have musical talent when they play this game, and that sets a scary precedent..

I would rather my son play GTA and kill prostitutes than to play guitar hero and think he is talented. That is much much more dangerous.

SO parents, be careful with encouraging false hope in your children, if they want to be famous and talented, than teach them the meaning of hard work and drill into their heads to make fun of their friends that get carried away with this false idol of unwarranted talent.

......I think
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #20
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

some of your guys' perceptions of reality are so distorted its amazing. no one buys guitar hero and pretends they are musicians, its pretty clear to everyone who plays it what it is: a game. nothing more, nothing less. they dont pretend to be rockstars or celebrities, its entertainment, nothing more. it does not detract from those turning to real instruments, id argue that it makes people MORE interested in making real music.

quit making BS statements to fit your arguments that honestly dont exist.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #21
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
some of your guys' perceptions of reality are so distorted its amazing. no one buys guitar hero and pretends they are musicians, its pretty clear to everyone who plays it what it is: a game. nothing more, nothing less. they dont pretend to be rockstars or celebrities, its entertainment, nothing more. it does not detract from those turning to real instruments, id argue that it makes people MORE interested in making real music.

quit making BS statements to fit your arguments that honestly dont exist.
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. Seriously.

Think about it, this game is no more sophisticated than pacman, but it is one of the biggest games of all time, why do you, tsiguy, think that is?

is it the storyline? the great grfx? The appreciation for years of development it must have taken to place colored bars on a treadmill?

I envy you, I really do.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #22
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I think Maynard from Tool said it best when he was at Coachella in '07. He said something about the VIP section, and then stopped and said, "Oh wait, i forgot, everyone's a damn VIP now days."
Old 03-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #23
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

El Guapo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #24
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp View Post
I think Maynard from Tool said it best when he was at Coachella in '07. He said something about the VIP section, and then stopped and said, "Oh wait, i forgot, everyone's a damn VIP now days."
qft.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #25
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:

You're joking, right?
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote