The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
titan
Ring of Famer
 
titan's Avatar
 
Fan of Old School Football

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,067

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Schefter on KOA

Adam Schefter was again interviewed by Dave Logan on Logan's KOA show this afternoon. Nothing too revealing here but always interesting to hear Adam's current take on the broncos/nfl - summary below:

KOA: Any reaction to the 4 new rules?

schefter
There's alot of uncertainity regarding labor contract (12 months to an uncapped year). With an uncapped year each team gets 2 franchise tags instead of one, and free agent eligibility goes from four years to six years, so there might not be as much movement as you'd think.

The upside for the players is that teams like cowboys and redskins can spend a ton of money, but downside is that there are certain teams that won't spend near as much as they do today.

KOA: Will season be extended to 18 games?

schefter:
It's all about money. If the league can find a way to increase its revenues
with an expanded schedule they'll do it. They are looking at going to
17 or 18 regular season games, with each team playing one game on
foreign soil. We won't see anything happen until a new labor agreement
which would take effect in 2011.

logan: with 4 preseason games the players get paid alot less, if the owners
want to increase the schedule to 17 or 18 games do they think it'll
be business as usual?

schefter:
the nfl and nflpa have differences on this - to be decided in labor
talks. Goodell is interested in decreasing the length of
the preseason - he doesn't want to see 4 preseason games

logan: I thought josh mcdaniels did extremely well in his interview last night

schefter:
Jay cutler is not the kind of guy that lets things go. If
that is the case this situation won't go away anytime soon.
What the broncos are doing now is smart - they are
taking time to defuse the situation. If in a couple
of weeks jay cutler is still feeling the same way
then they can revisit the trade talks - it's not like
cutler's value will go down in a couple of weeks. Defuse
the situation and let everyone take a step back and
calm down.

logan: It was good to see mcdaniels do what he did
on a national level, where the players can hear him
and see him. The players get the message that the
broncos are doing all that they can to get cutler
back.

shefter: but cutler may not care about that.

koa: at what point do the broncos say enough is enough?

shefter: We live in such a reactionary world - we want answers
now. Denver doesn't have to make a decision right
away. If the broncos are going to do something
with jay cutler they have over a month (until the draft)
to do something. Cutler's value will not be
any less 3 1/2 weeks today.

koa: Will the Lions take Stafford with the 1st pick?

shefter: The #1 pick is more of a punishment than a reward due
to the contract. It has become a burden to
give that much guaranteed money in a year where
there is no clear cut choice for the #1 pick.

Not sure about stafford - the lions may go with a left tackle
and pick a qb at #20 in the first round.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
vindico
Rookie
 
vindico's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 71
Default

shefter: The #1 pick is more of a punishment than a reward due
to the contract. It has become a burden to
give that much guaranteed money in a year where
there is no clear cut choice for the #1 pick.

just extra incentive to not be the league's b****, or in Detroit's case, the history of the league b****'s b****.
vindico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer
 
Irish Stout's Avatar
 
Run for it Marty!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,950

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

Man I think that the contract for first picks really really sucks... I agree with Schefter, I feel bad for the lions having to pay out on something that they really have no choice in for something they have no guarantee in.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Maybe explains why the Lions find themselves in this situation so often. Yeah I'm sure Cutler would love playing in Detroit better though
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

It's official... Schefter no longer has any contacts at Dove Valley
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,312

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
It's official... Schefter no longer has any contacts at Dove Valley
Well his main contact was Shanahan so...yeah.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #7
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
It's official... Schefter no longer has any contacts at Dove Valley
He is the one who broke the Cutler/Cassel Trade that fell through.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak Bronco View Post
He is the one who broke the Cutler/Cassel Trade that fell through.
I doubt it was anyone on denvers side that tiped him off... Sadly i guess i'm going to have to read Peter King now for any insight.

that sucks...
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
TheDave
Sauced...
 
TheDave's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Well his main contact was Shanahan so...yeah.
After being our beat writer for all those years i would of guessed he had made a friend or two beyond shanny... Guess not.
TheDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!
 
SoDak Bronco's Avatar
 
Von Miller aka QB Killa

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,226

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave View Post
I doubt it was anyone on denvers side that tiped him off... Sadly i guess i'm going to have to read Peter King now for any insight.

that sucks...
True
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,800
Default

logan: It was good to see mcdaniels do what he did on a national level, where the players can hear him and see him. The players get the message that the broncos are doing all that they can to get cutler back.


Couldn't agree with this more.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 30,295

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Well his main contact was Shanahan so...yeah.
I was told he has just as strong a contact in Bowlen but maybe that is wrong.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Two weeks from everywhere
Posts: 1,195

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Man I think that the contract for first picks really really sucks... I agree with Schefter, I feel bad for the lions having to pay out on something that they really have no choice in for something they have no guarantee in.
this isn't really true...they can choose not to select at #1, then the choice goes to the #2 team...they can do this as long as they choose and then jump in when they want...

the truth is that teams won't take the risk that they missed on someone picked ahead of them in this scenario, so teams either try to trade down or they just make the pick.
USMCBladerunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #14
worm
Great moments are born...
 
worm's Avatar
 
...from great opportunity

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,902

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
I was told he has just as strong a contact in Bowlen but maybe that is wrong.
That was my understanding as well. I thought they shared the marathon thing back in the day.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 
All hail Hercules!

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 54,914

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

shefter: The #1 pick is more of a punishment than a reward due
to the contract. It has become a burden to
give that much guaranteed money in a year where
there is no clear cut choice for the #1 pick.


Absolutely true. It's the fitting reward for massive suckability.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,644

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

My sources tell me that Adam still is in the good graces of the Broncos brass, I still think he is right more than any other football beat writer or broadcaster
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
schefter:
Jay cutler is not the kind of guy that lets things go. If
that is the case this situation won't go away anytime soon.
What the broncos are doing now is smart - they are
taking time to defuse the situation. If in a couple
of weeks jay cutler is still feeling the same way
then they can revisit the trade talks - it's not like
cutler's value will go down in a couple of weeks. Defuse
the situation and let everyone take a step back and
calm down.
But wait, all the drama queens on the Mane say McD and the Broncos FO are stupid idiots. How could they do something smart?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #18
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
My sources tell me that Adam still is in the good graces of the Broncos brass, I still think he is right more than any other football beat writer or broadcaster
Adam's better than the rest on the pure standpoint that he's a stronger journalist. He doesn't throw **** against the wall hoping it sticks and makes 100% certain about something before reporting it - like the Dawkins signing for example.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #19
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.
 
DenverBrit's Avatar
 
Got a breath mint??

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,474

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
But wait, all the drama queens on the Mane say McD and the Broncos FO are stupid idiots. How could they do something smart?
They couldn't....nah, nah, nah

DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #20
lex
Ring of Famer
 
lex's Avatar
 
The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 10,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Adam's better than the rest on the pure standpoint that he's a stronger journalist. He doesn't throw **** against the wall hoping it sticks and makes 100% certain about something before reporting it - like the Dawkins signing for example.
Another thing thing I like is that he's not wreckless with his choice of words. He is careful to be specific to to be accurate. For example, when the trade talks happened at the beginning of FA. Schefter was careful to point out that the Broncos version was that they didnt outwardly seek a trade. He didnt say the Broncos didnt outwardly seek a trade.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #21
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,999

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Man I think that the contract for first picks really really sucks... I agree with Schefter, I feel bad for the lions having to pay out on something that they really have no choice in for something they have no guarantee in.
They can let the clock run out again and again until they get to the place where their guy is likely to go soon after and take him there. I would love it if a team did that The whole rookie contract system for the first picks is unsustainable and unfair.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #22
_Oro_
Formerly known as Casson
 
_Oro_'s Avatar
 
Don't run that sh*t this way.

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,194

Adopt-a-Bronco:
- R. Ayers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
this isn't really true...they can choose not to select at #1, then the choice goes to the #2 team...they can do this as long as they choose and then jump in when they want...

the truth is that teams won't take the risk that they missed on someone picked ahead of them in this scenario, so teams either try to trade down or they just make the pick.
So if the #2 team decides to make the pick, they now have to pay the #1 pick contract?
_Oro_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #23
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"
 
watermock's Avatar
 
"Hug me!"

Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hot Springs, Ouachitah
Posts: 76,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
logan: It was good to see mcdaniels do what he did on a national level, where the players can hear him and see him. The players get the message that the broncos are doing all that they can to get cutler back.


Couldn't agree with this more.
Your so full of bull****. Mcdummy sees his players daily. Shouldn't he be talking to THEM? Or is that Simms job,or X-man, or bowlen's?

WTF des McDummy expect out the press? He's done nothing nothing but a Hunt trophy under Billicheat.

It's obvios now that McFail actively tried to make a trade, and Billicheat just left him standing at the altar.

It's funny but sad.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #24
baja
Happy camper
 
baja's Avatar
 
Sweet

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 59,999

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
Your so full of bull****. Mcdummy sees his players daily. Shouldn't he be talking to THEM? Or is that Simms job,or X-man, or bowlen's?

WTF des McDummy expect out the press? He's done nothing nothing but a Hunt trophy under Billicheat.

It's obvios now that McFail actively tried to make a trade, and Billicheat just left him standing at the altar.

It's funny but sad.
It's the price you pay for stealing Billacheck's long snapper I tell ya, nobody messes with Billacheck's long snapper.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #25
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 19,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
...Mcdummy... ...McDummy... ...Billicheat...

...McFail... ...Billicheat...

It's funny but sad.
Funny? I laugh at you but not with you. Sad? Yes, that you are.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Denver Broncos