The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

Default I think John Clayton makes up news

EAST COAST BIAS TO INFLUENCE SCHEDULING?

Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2009, 3:36 p.m. EDT
John Clayton of ESPN.com reports that one of the developments possibly emerging from the league meetings could be an alteration to the current scheduling formula.

Per Clayton, the NFL will consider a change that would prevent non-West Coast teams playing the four AFC West teams from having to travel both to Oakland and to San Diego in the same season.

Last year, the Jets and the Patriots were required to play in both of these AFC West cities. Clayton specifically points to a late-season upset of the Jets at Oakland, which supposedly was influenced by the fact that the New York team spent excessive time last season riding in the thing for which it is named.

We’ve previously been told that scheduling falls squarely within the purview of the Commissioner. However, the Commissioner realizes the importance of seeking input on matters of this nature from the 32 people who employ him.

That said, why should East Coast teams get special consideration? West Coast teams routinely have to travel from the Pacific time zone to the Eastern time zone.

Last year, the Raiders had to go to Buffalo, New Orleans, Baltimore, Miami, and Tampa. The Chargers had to do the same, with Pittsburgh in place of Baltimore and London in place of New Orleans.

Are the Raiders or Chargers whining about it?

The move, if it happens, smacks of the East Coast bias that we always claim doesn’t exist. Since we live on the East Coast.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Seattle has it the worst. Farthest NFL team out. And no **** their is an east coast bias.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

sorry about the thread title. "I Think John Clayton makes this **** up as he goes" did not fit
Old 03-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I hate that weasel John Clayton.

Something about him bugs the **** out of me.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

Man-Goblin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Seattle has it the worst. Farthest NFL team out. And no **** their is an east coast bias.

yeah...and that's Clayton's home town

but FYI to John clayton.....this is not news. the nfl has operated this way for at least 43 years. and it's mostly why the AFC and NFC rotate schedules every FOUR YEARS.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I think everyone at ESPN makes **** up. Possibly with the exception of Michael Smith who I think hears things, I just think he's fed bad info.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
sorry about the thread title. "I Think John Clayton makes this **** up as he goes" did not fit
Still think Clayton is making crap up?
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Still think Clayton is making crap up?
of course....

now what?
Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Odd, I travel from NC to CA 6-7 times a year and it is much easier to fly out west than it is to fly back east.

Clayton must have this backwards.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
CoBear23
Seasoned Veteran

Why is everyone doubting Clayton? Of all the NFL Senior Reporters for any network, he is one of the most respected amongst his peers, proved by his admittance into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

What he is reporting is a move that fits the NFL's Modus Operandi. Like any industry that needs media coverage to thrive, the east coast and specifically the New York market need to be giving extra consideration. Even if it means tweaking things like scheduling to their favor.

Do I agree with this? No, I think it's bull****. The NFL loves to say that it is one of the most balanced leagues in the world, and for the most part on the field it is. Parity exists for a variety of reasons, only a few of which are the work of the NFL owners and leadership, they are the salary cap and the draft. The players union deserves credit for free agency, which the owners and league have done their best to negate with the "Franchise Tag."

The true reason for parity in the NFL, is violence. Football is a violent game and in the NFL injuries to key players are as much a fact of life as the sun rising in the east. Would the Jets or Dolphins really have been playing for the AFC East in week 17 had Brady not gone down in the first 3 minutes of week 1? How would the post-Elway Broncos have been with Terrell Davis rushing for another 1700 yards, instead of blowing out his ACL? Injuries are the real reason there is a competitive balance in the NFL, everything else is ancillary.

I'd be very disappointed in the NFL if they follow through with this, but I wouldn't be surprised. I know I have a relatively shorter experience with the game of football compared to some of the seasoned vets on the board, but I truly miss and cherish the days when regardless of the weather, the time, or the place. If a team had a game scheduled you can damn well bet that team would be there ready to play.
CoBear23 is offline   Reply With Quote