The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,025

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default Owners might consider moving NFL draft to late February

This is a very interesting cost cutting move by the NFL. I think it is an excellent idea, but I thought it waarnated some real discussion among traditionalists:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...rook032209.htm

By Mike Holbrook
March 22, 2009


Indications are strong that the annual NFL owners meeting to be held March 22-25 in Dana Point, Calif., could be one of the most compelling gatherings in many years.

And the country’s economic woes appear to be a big reason why.

Not only will the owners be hearing from the NFL’s Competition Committee on a number of rules changes to impact games during the season, but whispers are growing louder that the league may be ready to consider making dramatic changes to the offseason schedule, including changing the dates for the postseason all-star games, the Scouting Combine, the draft and veteran free agency.

Multiple inside sources throughout the league have told PFW that the economic climate, coupled with the uncertainty of the next Collective Bargaining Agreement with the players in addition to the potential for an uncapped year in 2010 and a potential lockout in ’11, have made cost-cutting measures a top priority.

The decision by commissioner Roger Goodell to take a 20 percent pay cut in annual salary and to eliminate 169 league jobs back in February might have been the prelude to bigger and bolder budgetary decisions, though nothing has been decided yet.

For instance, the draft has been held in late April or early May since 1977. However, there are a number of movers and shakers in the league who believe that veteran free agency should follow the draft, and with the CBA still to be agreed upon for the next contract, this issue could be a bargaining chip for owners.

Those same league insiders would like to see the draft moved to late February, with free agency to commence following rookie minicamps, most likely in mid-to-late March.

"They need to get the draft put ahead of free agency," one veteran talent evaluator told PFW.


More at the link....
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
lex
Ring of Famer
 
lex's Avatar
 
The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 10,236

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Not a bad idea. It seems the longer the draft is after the season, the more gameplay is supplanted by workouts.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,440

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

I like the idea of it coming before Free-Agency. But **** that's a busy month. Especially for a SB team. Or a CG team who's staff is coaching the pro-bowl (unless they finish moving that up).

It seems rushed. One benefit, GMs will have to rely MORE on their scouts than they already do. Little time to fall in love with measurables.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,079

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

Wow, it'd be quite interesting for the draft to go ahead of free agency. How would that work with UDFAs? That would be a huge leg up for them if they had the ability to sign before UFAs.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
bap454
Ring of Famer
 
bap454's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,053

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

How would this save money??
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
bronco militia
Ring of Famer
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 24,258
Default

just move it to the end of march
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 18,457

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Yeah, i dont get how this saves money
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams
 
ludo21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 18,763

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster
Default

i dont mind that at all.

but like others said, how will it save money other than teams not spending on UDFA's I guess?
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Næstved, DK
Posts: 10,776

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

It will save money because teams will fill their needs with draft picks, which would reduce the bidding war for top name free agents.

Consider a guy like Houshmanzadeh, Seattle can't sign a WR, they may draft Crabtree, then they are not going to go out and give a big contract to a WR, that means he gets a smaller contract somewhere else.

For any FA player except for the very top echelon players like Haynesworth this is going to mean reduced salaries. The interesting implication here is that it would also give teams longer to negotiate with their own free agents and use the draft to force down the price.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 18,457

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
It will save money because teams will fill their needs with draft picks, which would reduce the bidding war for top name free agents.

Consider a guy like Houshmanzadeh, Seattle can't sign a WR, they may draft Crabtree, then they are not going to go out and give a big contract to a WR, that means he gets a smaller contract somewhere else.

For any FA player except for the very top echelon players like Haynesworth this is going to mean reduced salaries. The interesting implication here is that it would also give teams longer to negotiate with their own free agents and use the draft to force down the price.
I dont think that will actually happen. Teams might not go after a free agent, because they have people targeted in the draft...but lets say the draft happened before free agency, and they dont actually draft any of those targeted players...they'll still overpay in free agency. It's a two way street.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,025

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

You save money on expenses in scouting, money expended in going to too many pro-days, having all the all-star games in One place on 2 consecutive weekends, makes players LESS likely to opt out of Combine workouts since Pro-days will be severely reduced, and the time you have to have scouts at your home base reviewing film with coaches. Those scouts have to put up in long-term hotels and get per diem.

Also, as gyldenlove alluded to earlier, you refresh needs through the draft and UDFA as opposed to Vet FA. That is a whole lot cheaper and it will severely decrease the Open market value of FA.

Finally, it reduces the amount of time teams pay personnel in the offseason, gives front office a real break from football, and creates less player expenses in the offseason.

Overall, it should allow for:

1. Better rested, less injury prone players.

2. For Less team expenses in the draft process

3. More needs being filled through the draft and less in VET FA

4. More players kept in VET FA and therefore less overall team Turnover.

5. Also, it allows the scouts and FO personnel to be the primary evaluators of the draft process and keeps coaches from getting attached to Tarzan type workout players.

That's how I see it....

Last edited by Mediator12; 03-23-2009 at 02:27 PM..
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #12
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,440

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
gives front office a real break from football,
Where's the break? If the draft is late feb, after the season you're cramming collegiate player review, gives an edge to teams that don't make the post-season, and then as soon as the draft is done in late Feb, FA opens a week later.

I'm just not seeing the break.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,942

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I like the idea of it coming before Free-Agency. But **** that's a busy month. Especially for a SB team. Or a CG team who's staff is coaching the pro-bowl (unless they finish moving that up).

It seems rushed. One benefit, GMs will have to rely MORE on their scouts than they already do. Little time to fall in love with measurables.
yes and no, because for the most part, the actual scouting department would just be having to start their jobs a little sooner, and the front office will be included in the discussions while the coaching staff is working in the playoffs, and once the season finally ends, the coaches can jump into the draft discussion.

it is a cramped schedule and doesn't give much time to vacation, but it is possible.

i think it would probably be better to move it to the middle of March though. followed by FA a couple weeks after
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #14
Mediator12
OM analyst
 
Mediator12's Avatar
 
Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: INDY
Posts: 10,025

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Where's the break? If the draft is late feb, after the season you're cramming collegiate player review, gives an edge to teams that don't make the post-season, and then as soon as the draft is done in late Feb, FA opens a week later.

I'm just not seeing the break.
Minicamps will be in march post draft, then a break till mid april. Then second round of mini-camps in April and a further break in May. Then the final break in second half of June until training camp. It shortens the active calendar for Front office and provides several natural breaks in the schedule. In short, they no longer drag out the scouting process for four months post Bwol games, they shorten it to 2 months and let the scouts go home before Spring games.

Also, it allows a quicker resolution to fill gaps in needs throught Draft and UDFA so VETs do not get ridiculous contracts to be fillers. That will shorten the FA period and allow teams to take time off in the above break windows. The FO people are not crammed, they are working the same on the draft as anyone else. The all-star games are earlier and both in Tampa so the scouts travel less. And Finally, they can move FA back 3 more weeks post-draft mini-camp. Agents are going to hate it, but screw them IMHO
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:48 AM   #15
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,440

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Minicamps will be in march post draft, then a break till mid april. Then second round of mini-camps in April and a further break in May. Then the final break in second half of June until training camp. It shortens the active calendar for Front office and provides several natural breaks in the schedule. In short, they no longer drag out the scouting process for four months post Bwol games, they shorten it to 2 months and let the scouts go home before Spring games.

Also, it allows a quicker resolution to fill gaps in needs throught Draft and UDFA so VETs do not get ridiculous contracts to be fillers. That will shorten the FA period and allow teams to take time off in the above break windows. The FO people are not crammed, they are working the same on the draft as anyone else. The all-star games are earlier and both in Tampa so the scouts travel less. And Finally, they can move FA back 3 more weeks post-draft mini-camp. Agents are going to hate it, but screw them IMHO
Fair enough. So it extends the season, but puts a decent break in chunks in between camps. I'm not particularly sold that it's extra time off, but it definitely gives rookies more assimilation time to the team, system, and rest of the players.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #16
HILife
Ring of Famer
 
HILife's Avatar
 
Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DC - NOVA - DMV - VA - Take your pick
Posts: 4,250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I like the idea of it coming before Free-Agency. But **** that's a busy month. Especially for a SB team. Or a CG team who's staff is coaching the pro-bowl (unless they finish moving that up).

It seems rushed. One benefit, GMs will have to rely MORE on their scouts than they already do. Little time to fall in love with measurables.
You are not lieing. That would be a very busy two months. SB, Pro Bowl, Senior Bowl, Scouting Combine, the Pro Days would have to be moved up so Now all the Pro Days are in mid late January and Feb. College players would have time to get there weight back up and train for the Pro days, especial the one's playing in the BCS games. Scoutting department would have to grow alot bigger to get to all the Pro Days that are going to be held around the same time. There are alot of things that have to be thought about.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Denver Broncos