The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Default Denver's focus on defense for top draft pick

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11974189

Denver's focus on defense for top draft pick

DANA POINT, Calif. There is uncertainty at quarterback. But there doesn't seem to be any uncertainty regarding the type of player the Broncos want from their No. 12 overall draft pick.

The Broncos want defense. And new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan will have influence in the decision as to which defensive player to take. Nolan personally worked out three top defensive prospects in the past week Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo, Southern California linebacker Brian Cushing and Ohio State cornerback Malcolm Jenkins.

The Broncos also have worked out Cincinnati defensive end Connor Barwin and Maryland cornerback Kevin Barnes. Orakpo and Barwin are considered 3-4 outside linebackers who also can line up in a three-point stance on pass-rushing downs.

Other pass-rushing defensive ends-outside linebackers the Broncos may consider are Florida State's Everette Brown and Penn State's Aaron Maybin. The Broncos also like LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson.

Running back for trade.

Two NFL executives say the Broncos have been asking teams if they are interested in acquiring one of their running backs. It makes sense after the Broncos signed three free-agent tailbacks: Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan.

The Broncos' holdover running backs who can be had for trade: Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Kind of an obvious article in regards to the draft....but I found the RB blurb interesting.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 03-23-2009 at 12:53 AM..
Old 03-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Denver better not think about trading Peyton Hillis.

Hillis is a cheap, valuable, and versatile player....what more could you ask for as a team?

He can literally plays 3 positions and special teams and makes next to nothing.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 03-23-2009 at 12:54 AM..
Old 03-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Oh noes...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

I see a meltdown heading this direction
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I am cool with Cutler and trade talks...they send Hillis away I will cut a mother ****er.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:08 AM   #7
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Hillis can play RB, FB, H-back type role, and he could play some TE if you needed him to.

He will also kick some ass on special teams.

All that versatility....with a 7th round cap-friendly contract.

Denver would be foolish to trade him.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:10 AM   #8
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Denver better not think about trading Peyton Hillis.

Hillis is a cheap, valuable, and versatile player....what more could you ask for as a team?

He can literally plays 3 positions and special teams and makes next to nothing.
I can't understand Hillis on trade block he was our best RB. Sure sounds like McD isn't impressed with him for whatever reason.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

I definitely can't see that. It doesn't make sense on any level, outside of like a first day pick, but I'd rather have Hillis anyways.

I mean, strictly from a value standpoint, it makes sense to see if you can get a good deal on holdovers that the coach may or may not like. But, Hillis looked like a better player than all 3 free agents that were brought in in his short audition.

I'd imagine Hillis is the least available of the three.

Last edited by WABronco; 03-23-2009 at 01:26 AM..
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Maybe Hillis is in the plans for 2009.

I will be pissed if we trade him for something like a 5th or 6th round draft pick.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Hillis can play RB, FB, H-back type role, and he could play some TE if you needed him to.

He will also kick some ass on special teams.

All that versatility....with a 7th round cap-friendly contract.

Denver would be foolish to trade him.
he can also be a return man, that was one of his duties in College.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:24 AM   #12
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

I can't even imagine the Broncos trading Peyton Hillis. As already mentioned, he has a 7th round contract and does everything but park the cars at the stadium. This is silly. Correll Buckhalter has a terrible injury history and JJ Arrington doesn't seem to be anything special. What are they thinking?
OrangeRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:24 AM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I can't understand Hillis on trade block he was our best RB. Sure sounds like McD isn't impressed with him for whatever reason.
McD is a moron. so far he has shown no eye for talent. he was ready to dump a pro bowl QB, dumped one of the best long snappers in the game, and brought in 3 dudes to compete for a role that Hillis is still the best at, even with the additions. i can see the acquiring of a RB and maybe a change of pace guy, but McDaniels brougt in 3 guys who expect touches, when he has one of the most versatile players in the league at his disposal.

another reason i am going to miss Mike. he saw what he had in Hillis and was going to feature him in a lot of packages this season
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 AM   #14
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

On what does Klis base this? Last year, I think he was putting in for us to take DeSean Jackson at 12. Klis is similar to Mortensen...its hard to tell when its his own speculation vs. something more credible.

Id rather trade all of the RBs we signed instead of Hillis.

BTW, the reason its the Cutler debacle hasnt been that tough is because Pat has been hiding under his desk through it all. Its easy when you dont deal with it.

Last edited by lex; 03-23-2009 at 01:28 AM..
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 AM   #15
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeRising View Post
I can't even imagine the Broncos trading Peyton Hillis. As already mentioned, he has a 7th round contract and does everything but park the cars at the stadium. This is silly. Correll Buckhalter has a terrible injury history and JJ Arrington doesn't seem to be anything special. What are they thinking?
he's thinking the former Patriot is going to have a career resurgance and end up as league MVP and Hillis won't be needed.

for an supposed offensive genius, he sure has **** for brains and a terrible eye for talent of players if they didn't play in NE
Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 AM   #16
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Otoh,

Its a blurb in a paper, probably means nothing. Until it happens, have a ton of backs on the roster, of which Hillis is the most versatile.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:28 AM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
On what does Klis base this? Last year, I think he was putting in for us to take DeSean Jackson at 12. Klis is similar to Mortensen...its hard to tell when its his own speculation vs. something more credible.

Id rather trade all of the RBs we signed instead of Hillis.
agreed. show them all the door, and toss in Young Torain and Hall as well, then draft Rashad Jennings in the 3rd and create a vicious tandem of big bad mother****ers who will knock a LB on his ass.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:30 AM   #18
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Calmmmmm down no need for more bashing. Hillis wasn't mentioned by name, and this is probably just a case of seeing if we can get something for a player (aka Selvin Young) who is going to be cut anyways...if this rumor is even accurate.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:32 AM   #19
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
Calmmmmm down no need for more bashing. Hillis wasn't mentioned by name, and this is probably just a case of seeing if we can get something for a player (aka Selvin Young) who is going to be cut anyways...if this rumor is even accurate.
STFU

Quote:
Denver's focus on defense for top draft pick

DANA POINT, Calif. There is uncertainty at quarterback. But there doesn't seem to be any uncertainty regarding the type of player the Broncos want from their No. 12 overall draft pick.

The Broncos want defense. And new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan will have influence in the decision as to which defensive player to take. Nolan personally worked out three top defensive prospects in the past week Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo, Southern California linebacker Brian Cushing and Ohio State cornerback Malcolm Jenkins.

The Broncos also have worked out Cincinnati defensive end Connor Barwin and Maryland cornerback Kevin Barnes. Orakpo and Barwin are considered 3-4 outside linebackers who also can line up in a three-point stance on pass-rushing downs.

Other pass-rushing defensive ends-outside linebackers the Broncos may consider are Florida State's Everette Brown and Penn State's Aaron Maybin. The Broncos also like LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson.

Running back for trade.

Two NFL executives say the Broncos have been asking teams if they are interested in acquiring one of their running backs. It makes sense after the Broncos signed three free-agent tailbacks: Correll Buckhalter, J.J. Arrington and LaMont Jordan.

The Broncos' holdover running backs who can be had for trade: Selvin Young, Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:35 AM   #20
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
STFU

Dude, Hillis was not expressly named, thats the reporter speculating.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:35 AM   #21
Popps
It's so easy

Hillis is just the kind of versatile player that would seemingly fit into our system. I'd be pretty shocked if they found a need to move him, particularly as effective as he was running the ball on first downs.

I think he's a perfect part of a 1-2 punch, but at wort... he's a guy who can do multiple things and seems to be as "team" as you can get.

Interesting that we're working out Orakpo. He'd seem to be a great pick-up, but we'd definitely have to move up.

I hate reading about all of these corners we're working out. We'd better not blow the first pick there.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:35 AM   #22
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Blah you know what I mean.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:38 AM   #23
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Dude, Hillis was not expressly named, thats the reporter speculating.

We dont know that totally. Like I said, he presents it like it could be based on sources although he doesnt really say that. Wow, I hate Klis.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:39 AM   #24
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
We dont know that totally. Like I said, he presents it like it could be based on sources although he doesnt really say that. Wow, I hate Klis.

Any of the backs, including the ones just signed are up for trade. Until it happens, its just speculation.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:41 AM   #25
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Any of the backs, including the ones just signed are up for trade. Until it happens, its just speculation.

The only thing that is definitively speculation is that the three recently signed are off limits...for some reason.