The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default PFT: Cutler "Auction" to open Sunday?

Consider the source, but they speculate things could heat up today....

CUTLER DRAMA WILL HIGHLIGHT LEAGUE MEETINGS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2009, 10:44 p.m.
By leaking on Friday that more than ten teams have inquired about quarterback Jay Cutler, the Denver Broncos essentially announced that the auction is open.

Just as the 32 NFL franchise gather for the annual league meetings in California on Sunday.

Since Denver’s deteriorating relationship with Cutler provides no inherent leverage for trade talks, the Broncos need two or more teams to commence the process of jockeying for his services.

John Keim of dcexaminer.com recently reiterated something we’ve been hearing for nearly a week — the Redskins are interested.

Many other teams also could be, since Cutler provides a better option than the current starter in many NFL cities.

In our view, Cutler would provide an instant upgrade for the Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Browns, Titans, Jaguars, Texans, Raiders, Redskins, Bears, Vikings, Lions, Buccaneers, and 49ers.

Other teams, like the Panthers, Seahawks, Eagles, and Rams, should at least explore whether it makes sense to make a play for Cutler — and then to part ways with their current veteran signal-callers.

Here’s another factor to keep in mind: Any team pondering the possibility of hiring Mike Shanahan in 2010 should be considering Jay Cutler in 2009. (For that reason alone, it makes sense that the Redskins would be interested.)

It also makes us wonder whether Jerry Jones has toyed with what would be a blockbuster deal bringing Cutler to the Cowboys and sending Tony Romo to the Broncos or, alternatively, to a third team that would then ship multiple players and/or picks to Denver.

Bottom line? It’s crazy that the situation between Cutler and the Broncos has gotten to this point, and it would be foolish to rule out a resolution that, in hindsight, would appear even crazier.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Since Denver’s deteriorating relationship with Cutler provides no inherent leverage for trade talks

Yep... and that may be why you're starting to see some people speculate that we'll just keep him.

Obviously, a negative situation (real or perceived) hurts trade value. Pretty basic math.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #3
chrisp
Friend of the unsung

Not into the football......yet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Jason Campbell and a first for Cutler? Right now I'd take that in a heartbeat....

Although, if I'm honest I don't think Cutler will be traded. I think McDaniels wants to find out if Simms can play or not, and then he'll decide what to do with Cutler. If it turns out that Simms is Matt Cassell mk II then Jay could be traded NEXT year. That means Jay either sits out a year or sucks it up and plays for us...

and the best way for these two to bury the hatchet is to start playing and winning. Hopefully Jay will be all business once he puts the pads back on.....
chrisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Since Denver’s deteriorating relationship with Cutler provides no inherent leverage for trade talks

Yep... and that may be why you're starting to see some people speculate that we'll just keep him.

Obviously, a negative situation (real or perceived) hurts trade value. Pretty basic math.

It's ok man. You don't have to twist into contortions every time something comes out that invalidates one of your earlier positions. It's fine to just wait and see what we get and hope for the best.

Last edited by Taco John; 03-22-2009 at 01:24 AM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:23 AM   #5
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'm having a hard time deciding whether it's better to trade Cutler and eliminate the locker room distraction that is bound to happen the first time McDaniels or Cutler makes a mistake, or whether they will be able to put aside egos and work together. The second scenario seems far fetched to me.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

Old 03-22-2009, 01:29 AM   #7
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

There's no harm in listening to offers now. You only trade him if you have an offer you can't refuse. (And there's reason to think in a bidding war a team will overpay for his services).

Three years is a long time, and I think McD and Cutler will win together regardless of their personal relationship now--and winning of course, will fix everything.

The Broncos don't have to trade Cutler, and once they refuse Cutler will embrace being the Broncos QB (if he doesn't he's taking the Jeff George path out of the NFL).
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
I'm having a hard time deciding whether it's better to trade Cutler and eliminate the locker room distraction that is bound to happen the first time McDaniels or Cutler makes a mistake.
It's an interesting topic.

The reality is that it would take a major PR effort on the part of everyone involved to ensure the vulture media that this is put behind them. Even the fans will be looking for trouble at every turn.

Again, and this isn't about being right, Taco... but that's why I've been so pissed about the way Cutler has reacted, here from the start. YES, I get that he's upset... but he just about cut of the proverbial nose to spite the face right from the beginning.

You ask a good question. I'd like Cutler to stay, but how does this thing get put back together. Winning helps, but it may be a while before we're doing that, no matter who is QB.

It's a tricky situation. It's not one without a possible solution, but the trade sure seems like the easier way out at this point, oddly .
Old 03-22-2009, 01:30 AM   #9
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Jason Campbell and a first for Cutler? Right now I'd take that in a heartbeat....
You betcha! A washout QB and a midround pick sounds great, cut your losses Pat.
watermock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:43 AM   #10
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

My heart says keep Cutler. My head, knowing that we're stuck with McDaniels at this point, says to trade him.

I go with my head. We need to trade him.

...and I don't know that I'll ever forgive Bowlen for flinching in the middle of a successful rebuild.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:48 AM   #11
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
My heart says keep Cutler. My head, knowing that we're stuck with McDaniels at this point, says to trade him.

...and I don't know that I'll ever forgive Bowlen for flinching in the middle of a successful rebuild.
Don't start with the successful rebuild business again. Our record hasn't gotten any better in three years, and our defense got progressively worse. Our offense put up more yardage. Whoopee!

His time had come, man. I love the guy... love what he did for us, but he had plenty of time, and a change was needed.

We're going to build a complete team, dude. I'm thrilled, because this is what I've been begging for, for almost a decade. I'd love it to include Cutler, but not at the cost of the team-concept, just as others have stated.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:52 AM   #12
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

We all like to be a bit pollyanne-ish on keeping Cutler around. Even if things get smoothed out, this talk will surface in three years (or whatever amount of time if he's extended, or paid too cheaply).
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:06 AM   #13
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
Don't start with the successful rebuild business again. Our record hasn't gotten any better in three years, and our defense got progressively worse. Our offense put up more yardage. Whoopee!
But we did have a probowl QB and WR, plus a dominate rookie LT and WR.

Yes, we gave up an average 37 point our last 3 games, but had 9 picks and 37 million to fix that, this year!

Bowlen wasn't even smart enough to fire Slowick over Shanny's head, and force a resign. WTf is that but showing incompetence?

**** it, I'll be watching Saban and Urban battling it out on saturday next year, I might get 2 games on TV of the broncos.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:16 AM   #14
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
We're going to build a complete team, dude. I'm thrilled, because this is what I've been begging for, for almost a decade. I'd love it to include Cutler, but not at the cost of the team-concept, just as others have stated.
Begging is for dogs, Dude.

Team concept?

Right now the Owner is in Cali, the QB is in Tenn, Marshall is god knows where, Sheff is on the block, and the GM is autistic.

Bowlen will try to save face by dealing Cutler this week, but behind his back, unless he gets 2 firsts and a starter, will be laughed at.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:23 AM   #15
watermock
"Hoodie Jr"

"Hug me!"

Quote:
His time had come, man. I love the guy... love what he did for us, but he had plenty of time, and a change was needed.
I love the guy, but it's time for a change?

Plenty of time? 2nd year starter probowl? Broke Elway's record?
Old 03-22-2009, 02:24 AM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Well, I will agree... the ultimate disaster here would be to get poor value for Cutler.

Man, you want to see this place blow up? If we dump the guy for a low first and a mid-level player, Taco will have to buy new servers.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:24 AM   #17
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermock View Post
I love the guy, but it's time for a change?

Plenty of time? 2nd year starter probowl? Broke Elway's record?
Shanahan, Mock... Shanahan. Not Cutler. Wrong guy.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:56 AM   #18
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:

Reluctantly have to agree. But trading Cutler means we again have to search for yet another "franchise QB"... after the Patriot is fired (IMO, 2-3 years tops)
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:08 AM   #19
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

My gut still says they will work this out. IF Cutler sees the light as well and this isn't really some play simply to get him out of town and perhaps reunite him with Shanny.

I too want this to work out , but if it doesn't we've got to get a steller deal for him period. if it isn't solid don't pull the trigger and let him sit a year.. I guarantee he'll still play and play well for his own reputation. We can afford it.

Am very interested to hear Bowlen's in-depth account of the whole mess once the thing is settled as he promised. And he is right to have MD settle it. Give him plenty of advice and direction but he has to do it and grow from the whole thing as well.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:17 AM   #20
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

McDaniels, if smart, keeps Cutler.

If we trade Cutler, and have 2 losing seasons , I guarantee you, he is fired.

If we keep Cutler and we have 2 losing seasons, his job, most likely will be safe.

McDaniels, at this point, HAS to keep Jay Cutler.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:54 AM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

I agree but there is obviously still a lot of interest in the guy. The beauty of the matter is that the Broncos can keep him. And, being a believer in the "they can fix their relationship" as they have not worked with each other in the past... I think we're in a win/win situation. IF the Broncos trade Jay Cutler, it will be because they were presented with a very sweet deal! If they do not trade him, McD will go to Cutler and tell him that a number of players and draft picks were not enough (or greater than Cutler) to prevent them from trying to mend their relationship with Jay. In fact, they may end up taking the same angle of saying, "we never even tried to trade Jay".
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #22
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post

Although, if I'm honest I don't think Cutler will be traded. I think McDaniels wants to find out if Simms can play or not, and then he'll decide what to do with Cutler. If it turns out that Simms is Matt Cassell mk II then Jay could be traded NEXT year. That means Jay either sits out a year or sucks it up and plays for us...

and the best way for these two to bury the hatchet is to start playing and winning. Hopefully Jay will be all business once he puts the pads back on.....
Campbell is horrible, there is a reason that skins have not start negotiating with him even thought this is last year of his contract.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #23
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
I'm having a hard time deciding whether it's better to trade Cutler and eliminate the locker room distraction that is bound to happen the first time McDaniels or Cutler makes a mistake, or whether they will be able to put aside egos and work together. The second scenario seems far fetched to me.
my concern is really for the future (in either case obviously) if they keep him, and whether or not we revisit this crap every year or so

if that is going to be the case I would say unfortunately, dump him

hindsight is the only thing that will know for sure with this one and it sucks
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #24
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:

...and I don't know that I'll ever forgive Bowlen for flinching in the middle of a successful rebuild ON OFFENSE.
Fixed that for you.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:30 AM   #25
brncobrett
Bronco 4 Life!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PFM!!!

If I'm McDaniels, the only intrest I'd have in trading Cutler would be if Dallas came knockin. Romo? you bet...
brncobrett is offline   Reply With Quote