The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Jay Cutler To the Browns? No Chance

by Kendall Murray

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...owns-no-chance

The Jay Cutler to Cleveland rumors have (as rumors do) taken on a life of its own. The problem with this is that it will never happen. Any reasonable analysis of the first few months of the Mangini era in Cleveland will reveal that a deal for Cutler is nothing more than a pipe dream.

First, let's take a look at how these rumors came to be.

Once the Cutler/McDaniels feud reached a fever pitch and the trade talk began in earnest, reporters began to ask the questions they always do in these situations. High on the list of questions is, "Where might Cutler end up," which quickly leads to, "Who has the pieces to land him."

Very quickly, the Browns became part of the discussion since they have:

1.) a quarterback in Derek Anderson who, despite his difficulties last season, has put together a Pro Bowl season, and

2.) a quarterback in Brady Quinn who was a first-round draft choice who hasn't had enough game experience to show what he's capable of.

The earliest of these "trade speculations" involved Cleveland as part of various three-way deals involving teams such as Washington, Detroit, and the Jets. In all of these scenarios, the Broncos would have received either Anderson or Quinn (and more), and the third team would receive Cutler, with the Browns obtaining various picks and/or players.

Very quickly (and irrationally, I might add), people began just eliminating the third team altogether and suggesting that Cleveland was somehow interested in Cutler.

The only reason Cleveland became part of the discussion in the first place, is because of the perception that they have two potential starters and would presumably be willing to ship one. The idea that they would get Cutler back wouldn't solve this problem for them, in that the QB who didn't get moved in the deal would be a reluctant and disgruntled backup to Cutler.

Cleveland also seemed a possible destination because they are trying to recoup some of the picks that Phil Savage traded away. Even after the Winslow deal, the Browns only have five picks in this year's draft.

Now let's take a look at Mangini's approach to rebuilding the Browns.

First, he basically hired his own hand-picked GM in George Kokinis. Kokinis wasn't even on owner Randy Lerner's radar when Mangini suggested him for the GM job. It's unclear how the power-sharing works in the Cleveland front office since the new regime has been so secretive.

However, make no mistake, Mangini is the driving force behind the early personnel moves. Former Jets LBs David Bowens and Eric Barton, DB Hank Poteat and DL C.J. Mosley all signed with the Browns in recent weeks, and a fifth Jet, S Abram Elam, was signed to an offer sheet that the Jets matched.

In addition to the former Jets on the roster, other recent Browns signees include TE Robert Royal, S Mike Adams, OL Floyd Womack, OL John St. Clair, DB Corey Ivy, and RB Noah Herron.

Meanwhile, the team traded away one of its most talented, but troubling players in Kellen Winslow. They also released WR Joe Jurevicious and OT Kevin Shaffer after asking them to take a pay cut.

Mangini is trying to create competition for jobs on his new team. He's brought in guys he's worked with before and guys who are versatile. All of the new linemen and linebackers can play multiple positions, and most of these guys have excelled on special teams.

One thing you don't see here is a superstar; in fact, not one of these guys is guaranteed a starting job.

Keep in mind, Mangini comes from the Belichick tree.

He and McDaniels both share the philosophy that no one player is above the team. It's no secret that Mangini was not in favor of bringing in Favre, and that experience alone would sour him on the idea of bringing in Cutler—a player who has quickly become more well-known for his whining off the field than for the promise he has shown on it.

Wherever Cutler might end up, he is likely going to ask his new coach the same question he reportedly asked McDaniels in their recent face-to-face, "What guarantees can you give me that I won't be traded?" Mangini would tell him exactly what McDaniels did: that he has a responsibility to listen to any and all offers and he will make the decisions he feels are in the best interest of the team. That's precisely the approach that sent Cutler crying in Bus Cook's arms.

The reality of the situation is that Cutler would be as unhappy under Mangini as he has been (sort of) under McDaniels. On the flip side, Mangini has no interest in the ego-driven superstar type as his first personnel move (the trade of Winslow) proved.

I'm a life-long Browns fan and honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about the Mangini era coming to Cleveland. I'll root hard, but I can't say I'm crazy about all that I've seen so far. I sincerely hope he knows what he's doing.

Nonetheless, it's become rather clear that Mangini has a philosophy in terms of how he's going about rebuilding this team. For him to turn around and make a trade for Cutler would go against that philosophy.

The possibility still exists that Cleveland could be involved in a three-way deal that doesn't involve Cutler coming to Cleveland (I'd call it possible, but doubtful). What I'm saying here is that the likelihood of Jay Cutler wearing a Browns uniform next year is about the same as T.O. keeping his mouth shut next season.

In fact, if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on T.O.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"1.) a quarterback in Derek Anderson who, despite his difficulties last season, has put together a Pro Bowl season, and"

For those that like to point out that Cutler has proven himself simply by making the Pro Bowl, might want to read that part again. Also, good point that Mangini is cut from the same cloth as McDaniels and just went throught a season with the Jets with Favre taking chances and throwing bad picks, so not sure he's that excited going with a QB who has a rep. for doing that too.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

The thought of Derek Anderson just made me throw up in my mouth.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
"1.) a quarterback in Derek Anderson who, despite his difficulties last season, has put together a Pro Bowl season, and"

For those that like to point out that Cutler has proven himself simply by making the Pro Bowl, might want to read that part again. Also, good point that Mangini is cut from the same cloth as McDaniels and just went throught a season with the Jets with Favre taking chances and throwing bad picks, so not sure he's that excited going with a QB who has a rep. for doing that too.
Mangini may "be cut from the same cloth as McDaniels"... but he also (like many of "the Belichick coaching tree") failed miserably and was fired from his first HC job.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Mangini may "be cut from the same cloth as McDaniels"... but he also (like many of "the Belichick coaching tree") failed miserably and was fired from his first HC job.
That may be, but that doesn't mean he'd want Cutler unless could get him cheaply of course.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
what does that have to do with what he's saying?
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post

Wherever Cutler might end up, he is likely going to ask his new coach the same question he reportedly asked McDaniels in their recent face-to-face, "What guarantees can you give me that I won't be traded?" Mangini would tell him exactly what McDaniels did: that he has a responsibility to listen to any and all offers and he will make the decisions he feels are in the best interest of the team. That's precisely the approach that sent Cutler crying in Bus Cook's arms.
The heart of the matter.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:

It's everyone else, not me! THEY'RE the one's that are crazy... NOT ME!!!

Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Hmm, So was Shanahan.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
broncofan
Perennial Pro-bowler

lol ...this website again, huh?
broncofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Hmm, So was Shanahan.
The point is that when multiple "disciples" from a single coaching tree all flame out, then perhaps being "cut from the same cloth" might not be a good thing for the team that just hired the newest one.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Failed miserably?

Two winning seasons in three years, took the team to the playoffs their first year, and he would have had them back this year if Brett Favre hadn't gone rouge on him and stopped running the plays that were called.

Thats failing miserably? The Jets have more winning seasons and playoff appearances than we do in the last three years, FYI.

He got fired because the team caved down the stretch (mostly because Favre can't keep from making mistakes) and the ownership just wanted to clean all the animosity out of the organization.

Funny how Jets fans had nicknamed him "Mangenius" just two years ago and now suddenly he "failed miserably".
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Failed miserably?

Two winning seasons in three years, took the team to the playoffs their first year, and he would have had them back this year if Brett Favre hadn't gone rouge on him and stopped running the plays that were called.

Thats failing miserably? The Jets have more winning seasons and playoff appearances than we do in the last three years, FYI.

He got fired because the team caved down the stretch (mostly because Favre can't keep from making mistakes) and the ownership just wanted to clean all the animosity out of the organization.

Funny how Jets fans had nicknamed him "Mangenius" just two years ago and now suddenly he "failed miserably".
The person who said he failed miserably is a Jets fan?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
Finger Roll
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Failed miserably?

I agree. He did a much better job in New York than most people give him credit for
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #15
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
The point is that when multiple "disciples" from a single coaching tree all flame out, then perhaps being "cut from the same cloth" might not be a good thing for the team that just hired the newest one.

It's now clear that TJ only hires MOD's that share his Shanny-love mentality...not to mention a little off thier respective rockers...
Old 03-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Roll View Post
I agree. He did a much better job in New York than most people give him credit for

Hell ya he did! Mang didn't want zero part of Favre, he wanted to keep Chad and give the guy another year. Chad makes the playoffs and Favre just kinda faided as the year got into Dec.

But again Mang beat the Titans this year, a titan team that was the fav of many to be in the superbowl during their hot streak.

Mang didn't deserve to be fired. When forced to deal with the Farve issue.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #17
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Hell ya he did! Mang didn't want zero part of Favre, he wanted to keep Chad and give the guy another year. Chad makes the playoffs and Favre just kinda faided as the year got into Dec.

But again Mang beat the Titans this year, a titan team that was the fav of many to be in the superbowl during their hot streak.

Mang didn't deserve to be fired. When forced to deal with the Farve issue.

Who is to say that the Jets make the playoffs with Pennington. He doesnt exactly have a strong arm and that comes into play more in NY than Miami.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #18
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
It's now clear that TJ only hires MOD's that share his Shanny-love mentality...not to mention a little off thier respective rockers...
The word "hires" indicates that we get paid. Newsflash: we don't. We do the job only because we truly care about the OrangeMane community. It's a very tough, thankless job, but someone has to do it.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Who is to say that the Jets make the playoffs with Pennington. He doesnt exactly have a strong arm and that comes into play more in NY than Miami.
The point is he didnt "fail miserably" and he did not deserve to be fired
And it doesnt matter whose arm is stronger between Favre's and Pennington's, Pennington played better than Favre last year.

Favre was garbage towards the end of the season
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #20
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
The point is he didnt "fail miserably" and he did not deserve to be fired
And it doesnt matter whose arm is stronger between Favre's and Pennington's, Pennington played better than Favre last year.

He was 23-25 in 3 seasons.... when your teams lose more games than they win, firing the HC isn't at all surprising. I'm guessing that the 4-12 '07 season already had Mangini on thin ice.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #21
lex
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
The point is he didnt "fail miserably" and he did not deserve to be firedAnd it doesnt matter whose arm is stronger between Favre's and Pennington's, Pennington played better than Favre last year.

According to whom? And regarding your remark about arm strength. Favres shortcoming wasnt his armstrength. Again, thats been an issue with Pennington in the past while playing in NY. He didnt just magically develop more arm strength. His lack of arm strength didn hurt as much in Miami. Tahts an observation specific to Pennington. I was talking about Pennington. Why you referred to Favre, Im not sure but it wasnt really relevant. Favre and Pennington are distinctly different cases. Theyre two QBs with different strengths and weaknesses.

Nice try though, Tumbleweed.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #22
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post

Ya you're so right... I mean the Fins play 16 games at home and never play @ NE,NY or Buffalo in DECEMBER...

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/mia/2008.htm

Once again LEX show's he's just a insane,full of crap troll.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #23
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
He was 23-25 in 3 seasons.... when your teams lose more games than they win, firing the HC isn't at all surprising. I'm guessing that the 4-12 '07 season already had Mangini on thin ice.

So was Shanny...yet you homer's wanted to keep him
Old 03-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #24
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The expectations for the Jets this past season, warranted or not, were really high after they got Favre. I remember many predictions in the media of the Jets going to the Super Bowl. The Jets' talent level was overestimated to say the least.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #25
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So was Shanny...yet you homer's wanted to keep him

Good point, not to mention 10 years with only 1 playoff win to show. You can only use 2 Super Bowl trophies for so long until one wonders if it'll ever happen again and the way it was going, not anytime soon.