The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Vandy gives Cutler some free advice

I figured maybe I could even out Taco's biased media postings with this one from Vandy.

COLUMN: Who is the real Jay Cutler?
http://www.insidevandy.com/drupal/node/9814

Dear Jay,

What's going on, man? Haven't heard from you in a while - seems like you've mastered the art of the low profile. I thought I may have heard your name bounce around in the news quite a bit the past couple of weeks, but they couldn't have been talking about you, could they?

You see, the Jay Cutler I remember is much different than the one that has come to the surface the past couple of weeks. The Jay Cutler I remember torched the Southeaster Conference defenses with his golden arm, serving as an integral piece in catapulting the Vanderbilt football program to national relevance.

The Jay Cutler I remember brought a competitive swagger to Nashville, a swagger that still bleeds through black and gold jerseys when September rolls around. In short, the Jay Cutler I remember was a fighter. Where did that Jay Cutler go?

Oh, you're in a fight now, I suppose. Except instead of fighting for your team, you're fighting against it and, in a way, against yourself. Sure, you have legitimate grievances against a Denver Broncos organization that fired the man who drafted you, hired a man who tried to trade you and along the way has done little to dispel the notion of their general ineptitude. But while the Broncos have done very little right in this scenario, you're helping them prove that they may not have been that wrong after all.

Everyone knows about your talents, Jay. You're a 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback who passes with precision, power and a prowess that hints at your unlimited potential. You have piloted a team with a Swiss cheese defense and a stable of unproven running backs to 17 wins over your two years as a starter, a win total that likely would have been cut in half without you.

You're also the guy who has favorably compared his arm strength to John Elway's, continuously pouted through newswires and his agent during the persistent trade rumors and whose strongest public statement to date was putting your Denver home up for sale in a housing market that may just be worse than your Broncos' defense.

Thus, depending on who you ask, you're either a golden boy or a royal pain, and there are plenty of teams willing to bet on the former. The Jets, Bears, Vikings, Lions, Buccaneers and 49ers, just to name a few, would all gladly aid you in your clear pursuit of a new address and may even put forth a down payment on your new home. The only one who can determine whether that would be worth their while, though, is you.

In a league dominated and mesmerized by the quarterback, you have the chance to turn your potential into prominence. In a sports world constantly thirsting for a good story, you can give it a great one.

In a bad situation, you can come out on top by showing up to a NFL facility (be it the Broncos or otherwise), checking your ego at the door and winning over your locker room and community much like you did here. Otherwise, a descent into irrelevance awaits, and you deserve better than that.

So, Jay, I look forward to hearing back from you and, the next time I see you, I hope you can help me answer this question:

Who is the real Jay Cutler?

Sincerely,

Your own personal Jiminy Cricket
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Slow. Clap.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I agree with Deion Sanders in this scenario. Get to work. Everything else will work out.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Jay doesn't read his bad press, not that he should, but the bigger issue is he reads his good press. Which in turn and with the help of a former coach desperately trying to save face... anyway... Jay's ego is huge.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
BlaK-Argentina
Pampita says...

... support your team!

Great read!

Come on Jay, get over this already.
BlaK-Argentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Thus, depending on who you ask, you're either a golden boy or a royal pain, and there are plenty of teams willing to bet on the former.

Wow.

Weird, huh?
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

C'mon Jay, pulling for you to make the right decision here.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I said weeks ago this could possibly be the best thing that happened to Jay on a football field. Hopefully he stays with the Broncos but at the very least, realizing that you are not an untouchable player who has reached the ever so elusive pinnacle, this should show him that he must work harder and still improve in order to get there. Hopefully that is with the Broncos.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
Dukes
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
I said weeks ago this could possibly be the best thing that happened to Jay on a football field. Hopefully he stays with the Broncos but at the very least, realizing that you are not an untouchable player who has reached the ever so elusive pinnacle, this should show him that he must work harder and still improve in order to get there. Hopefully that is with the Broncos.
I'm not so sure he has that kind of maturity level.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_7 View Post
C'mon Jay, pulling for you to make the right decision here.

While I understand Jay's point of view completely, IF McDaniels tells Jay that he wants him as his quarterback then Jay needs to swallow some pride, suck it up, and get in there and lead this team. The big question mark that i think some people aren't seeing is whether or not that is what McDaniels truly wants.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp View Post
While I understand Jay's point of view completely, IF McDaniels tells Jay that he wants him as his quarterback then Jay needs to swallow some pride, suck it up, and get in there and lead this team. The big question mark that i think some people aren't seeing is whether or not that is what McDaniels truly wants.
HOW How are you getting that?

All he's said in every interview is that he wants Jay Cutler here. So how on earth are you seeing that maybe McD doesn't really want Cutler here?

This is so ****ing asinine.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

Dukes - "I'm not so sure he has that kind of maturity level."

I do. Cutler isn't doing himself any favors the way he has reacted throughout this exercise, but at the same time, team management hasn't given him any reason to feel confident an/or positive either.

I have seen his parents and sister interviewed more than once, and the family is level-headed, hard working people. I have a difficult time believing they didn't instill this ethic in Jay.

Then again, after Bowlens 'happy camper' comment, this all may be a moot point anyway. Bye-bye Jay.
OrangeRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post

All he's said in every interview is that he wants Jay Cutler here. So how on earth are you seeing that maybe McD doesn't really want Cutler here?

You are right. I should believe everything that someone says based on their position of authority. People in high places NEVER lie. Wake up.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
You are right. I should believe everything that someone says based on their position of authority. People in high places NEVER lie. Wake up.
Says a guy with a huge Obama tag in his sig. Brilliant!

Look man, EVERY TIME McDaniels has opened his mouth, it has been to say the same thing: We are not trading Jay Cutler. At some point, you've got to take him at his word.

YOU should wake up.

The point is, man, even the things McD supposedly "lied" about are A) in the past, and B) have completely been corroborated by BB in New England. But sure. Keep blaming McD for all of the world's problems. Continue to close your eyes, stomp your feet and yell "LALALALALALALALALA!" It makes you look exactly like your hero Jay Cutler.

Last edited by TheElusiveKyleOrton; 03-20-2009 at 01:51 PM..
TheElusiveKyleOrton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #15
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:

when you attempt to trade a guy you are pretty much saying "I dont want you here".
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #16
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickademus View Post
when you attempt to trade a guy you are pretty much saying "I dont want you here".
Well, SOMEone doesn't know how to read.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Says a guy with a huge Obama tag in his sig. Brilliant!

Look man, EVERY TIME McDaniels has opened his mouth, it has been to say the same thing: We are not trading Jay Cutler. At some point, you've got to take him at his word.

YOU should wake up.

The point is, man, even the things McD supposedly "lied" about are A) in the past, and B) have completely been corroborated by BB in New England. But sure. Keep blaming McD for all of the world's problems. Continue to close your eyes, stomp your feet and yell "LALALALALALALALALA!" It makes you look exactly like your hero Jay Cutler.
1. Just because i have an Obama sig does not mean that I believe every word out of his mouth. That's a gigantic LEAP of an assumption. The most you can take from that is that i voted for him, and that i thought he was a better candidate than John McCain. I have my reasons, but I will assure you that if you think I believe 100% of what any politician says you are crazy.

2. Why would McDaniels examine the option of trading Jay and say he will do ANYTHING to make the team better, but then all of a sudden say, "Absolutely not we will not trade Jay?" What if another good trade comes along? Then what? Was it just because Cassell was available? And why do i have to "at some point take him at his word?"

3. Why does it matter if a lie is "in the past" or if it happened yesterday? What does that even mean? This whole thing isn't even a month old yet and you want to tell me that if McDaniels did lie it's in the past so it's okay? And since when is BB a trustworthy source of valid truth?
Old 03-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #18
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

First of all, I voted for him too. Just ironic that you would say something like "people in high places never lie" facetiously.

Second, I'm curious what you think would make this whole thing go away. You obviously want Cutler in a Bronco uniform. So do I. I think McDaniels has gone out of his way, turning down trade offers and rebuffing anyone who is calling about Cutler. Belichick didn't have to say anything, and actually would have benefitted by keeping his mouth shut on the whole situation. If you look at quotes that are actually attributed to real people with real names who really give their names for stories, the Broncos version of what happened actually adds up quite well. Short of signing Cutler to a massive extension even though he still has three years left on his current deal, what needs to happen to get Jay back?

Read my post. It says what McD "supposedly lied about" is in the past. When all these pieces are falling into place, at some point, don't you have to sort of step back and look at all of it and think "wait a minute... maybe McDaniels wasn't lying. Maybe Cutler should get over himself and come back to become the best QB in the league."? I know, it's easy to get caught up in bull**** throwaway statements like "we were late to the dance," but in truth, they don't really mean much.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

By the way, I'm glad all of you anti-Cutler people are loving this article despite the fact that it offers nothing new to our ongoing "discussion." In one way or another, everything in this article has already been said. The only significant thing about it is that it was written by a writer at Vanderbilt, David Namm, who as far as i can tell wasn't even there when Cutler was there! He's just using the recent developments as a method to get his writing out into the spotlight. I don't blame him, but I think he could have done a better job. Maybe include ONE PERSON who actually knew Cutler at Vanderbilt who could actually attest to his personality. In fact, why hasn't this been done? Honestly? If he was a dickhead in college let's hear about it!
Old 03-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #20
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
In fact, why hasn't this been done? Honestly? If he was a dickhead in college let's hear about it!
Jay Cutler stole my lunch money.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #21
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
By the way, I'm glad all of you anti-Cutler people are loving this article despite the fact that it offers nothing new to our ongoing "discussion." In one way or another, everything in this article has already been said. The only significant thing about it is that it was written by a writer at Vanderbilt, David Namm, who as far as i can tell wasn't even there when Cutler was there! He's just using the recent developments as a method to get his writing out into the spotlight. I don't blame him, but I think he could have done a better job. Maybe include ONE PERSON who actually knew Cutler at Vanderbilt who could actually attest to his personality. In fact, why hasn't this been done? Honestly? If he was a dickhead in college let's hear about it!
Again: Why does everyone who is pro-Broncos and pro-situation-getting-worked-out have to be labeled as "anti-Cutler." I'm not anti-Cutler. I just want him to cut the **** and get back to Denver.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #22
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
First of all, I voted for him too. Just ironic that you would say something like "people in high places never lie" facetiously.

Second, I'm curious what you think would make this whole thing go away. You obviously want Cutler in a Bronco uniform. So do I. I think McDaniels has gone out of his way, turning down trade offers and rebuffing anyone who is calling about Cutler. Belichick didn't have to say anything, and actually would have benefitted by keeping his mouth shut on the whole situation. If you look at quotes that are actually attributed to real people with real names who really give their names for stories, the Broncos version of what happened actually adds up quite well. Short of signing Cutler to a massive extension even though he still has three years left on his current deal, what needs to happen to get Jay back?

Read my post. It says what McD "supposedly lied about" is in the past. When all these pieces are falling into place, at some point, don't you have to sort of step back and look at all of it and think "wait a minute... maybe McDaniels wasn't lying. Maybe Cutler should get over himself and come back to become the best QB in the league."? I know, it's easy to get caught up in bull**** throwaway statements like "we were late to the dance," but in truth, they don't really mean much.
Here's the thing, it really doesn't add up. Someone (or multiple people) are lying. Yes, if you choose to believe the Broncos front office and everything that they say then what they say does add up. If you choose to believe everything that Jay says, then his story lines up. But if you try to believe everyone at once there is a large black hole of a gap in the story, much resembling the one here at the Orange Mane. I just don't think any of us know enough to be able to know for sure what happened so we get to this dead end and it becomes more of a matter of faith almost.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #23
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Someone needs to bombard Jay's mailbox with pictures of their poor children crying with their Cutler jerseys on.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #24
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Personally, I thought this article wasn't anti-Jay, it was just expressing hope that he acts like a professional from here on out, including showing up when he is supposed to. It certainly wasn't pro-McDaniels, and is nothing to get defensive over, IMO. I would think the pro-Cutler crowd would agree with the article that it is best for all involved (and certainly for us) for Jay to be our qb next season and for him to act accordingly and professionally when mini-camp comes around.
Edit: Best for all involved except Mr. Cook. Which is another reason to hope it works out this way.

Last edited by skpac1001; 03-20-2009 at 03:07 PM..
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #25
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Here's the thing, it really doesn't add up. Someone (or multiple people) are lying. Yes, if you choose to believe the Broncos front office and everything that they say then what they say does add up. If you choose to believe everything that Jay says, then his story lines up. But if you try to believe everyone at once there is a large black hole of a gap in the story, much resembling the one here at the Orange Mane. I just don't think any of us know enough to be able to know for sure what happened so we get to this dead end and it becomes more of a matter of faith almost.
I agree whole heartedly with that.

here's what I think: I think the media got this one wrong, wrong, wrong, and they did so from the start.

I think they started calling Cutler, put the idea that the trade discussions were much more serious than they actually were, and that Bus Cook has parlayed that into a chance for more money.

But when cutler called Bowlen to personally ask him if the Broncos were trading him, Bowlen told him that they weren't. Which makes sense if the trade discussions didn't get serious enough (or close enough to happening) for Bowlen to be involved at all.

After this off season, with ESPN reporting things like "Shanahan in KC and signing a deal as we speak" and "Mortenson: good reporter or giant horse's ass?" (okay, I might have made that second one up), I think they have a lot more to gain than lose by throwing out a HUGE story, true or not, and seeing if it sticks.