The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Drek
Ring of Famer

Default Broncos had private meeting with Orakpo.

Orakpo just said it on NFL radio. Also met with the Browns.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

You sure it wasn't Bus Cook leaking it?
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
You sure it wasn't Bus Cook leaking it?
Bus Cook would leak that we secretly met with Sanchez.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

He and Brown have been shooting up the boards. I've seen those guys as high as #3 and no lower than #9. I'd be shocked if Orakpo fell to us. I think there's a chance on Brown and Maybin but it wouldn't surprise me at all three are gone before #12.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
He and Brown have been shooting up the boards. I've seen those guys as high as #3 and no lower than #9. I'd be shocked if Orakpo fell to us. I think there's a chance on Brown and Maybin but it wouldn't surprise me at all three are gone before #12.
Why would you want maybin at #12 anyways? Huge reach for him there.
Not remotely ready for the NFL, and will need to go to a team that can groom him. DEN already has Moss, thats enough with the 3rd down situational DEs.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
But, Orakpo could be there for us at Cleveland's #5.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangene View Post
true...i prefer Brown btw...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Why would you want maybin at #12 anyways?
I wouldn't, was just thinking out loud.

Quote:
Either he or Brown would be.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

On this board you'd think Orakpo wasn't worth a seventh rounder.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
On this board you'd think Orakpo wasn't worth a seventh rounder.
I'm real iffy on him myself, mostly because I see a lot of Tim Crowder in him. Great athlete with mediocre at best fundamentals who lives off being physically superior to those around him.

We've got a lot better coaching situation here than what Crowder has had though, Orakpo could really blossom under a LB expert like Nolan. Thats why I have no doubt that if Nolan likes one of the LB/DE hybrids at #12 then its a smart pick (or Maualuga for that matter).
Old 03-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
On this board you'd think Maybin wasn't worth a seventh rounder.
Fixed
Old 03-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I'm real iffy on him myself, mostly because I see a lot of Tim Crowder in him. Great athlete with mediocre at best fundamentals who lives off being physically superior to those around him.
I don't see a comparison between the two other than the Texas connection. I think Orakpo is a much more explosive quick-twitch athlete. So is Brown. I prefer Orakpo because he is naturally bigger for a 3-4 backer.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #13
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
Why would you want maybin at #12 anyways? Huge reach for him there.
Not remotely ready for the NFL, and will need to go to a team that can groom him. DEN already has Moss, thats enough with the 3rd down situational DEs.
agreed. i would possibly be interested in Maybin at 12, if we were already strong on defense and could give him a year or 2 to get up to speed and be ready to perform, but with the state of our defense, we need to hit on our draft and in the 1st find a guy who can come in and contribute from day 1.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

We've got a lot better coaching situation here than what Crowder has had though, Orakpo could really blossom under a LB expert like Nolan. Thats why I have no doubt that if Nolan likes one of the LB/DE hybrids at #12 then its a smart pick (or Maualuga for that matter).
Well, Crowder was never a great athlete. He was anything but explosive at Texas. More like a workhorse that finally learned how to rush the passer his senior year. Orakpo actually reminds me more of Jarvis Moss. Not that that's much better.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I don't see a comparison between the two other than the Texas connection. I think Orakpo is a much more explosive quick-twitch athlete. So is Brown. I prefer Orakpo because he is naturally bigger for a 3-4 backer.
Thats the problem. Orakpo, Crowder, Michael Huff, Vince Young, DJ Johnson, etc. all have the same problems in common, primarily that none of them have the kind of fundamentals that are necessary to succeed at the NFL level.

Mostly because UT doesn't seem to give a **** about teaching them and would instead just as soon send out a team composed of the best athletes they can find and win on their athletic merits alone.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #16
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Thats the problem. Orakpo, Crowder, Michael Huff, Vince Young, DJ Johnson, etc. all have the same problems in common, primarily that none of them have the kind of fundamentals that are necessary to succeed at the NFL level.

Mostly because UT doesn't seem to give a **** about teaching them and would instead just as soon send out a team composed of the best athletes they can find and win on their athletic merits alone.
Maybe, but I think those kinds of things can be taught to players with the right attitude and skill package. I think Orakpo has that. And, he has shown far more athleticism that Crowder ever did. I understand your skepticism with UT players, but I still think you need to look at them individually. Actually, my first choice (after Curry) for the rush linebacker position in this draft is Robert Ayers out of Tennessee. Reminds me of a young James Harrison. He hasn't played that position in college so he will need some work also.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

For raw curiousity's sake:

With all your Longhorns hate, what the Crowder at Texas avy...?
Old 03-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #18
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
For raw curiousity's sake:

With all your Longhorns hate, what the Crowder at Texas avy...?
I've had avys disabled for a long time. Back when I did keep it enabled I would pick a rookie in each draft class to put in it. Year before Crowder it was Tony Sheffler.

Crowder is what really iced my hate of the Longhorns as draft prospects. He was an amazing athlete coming out with tons of potential, then he gets on the field and its clear the guy doesn't understand a damn thing about technique. Thats about when I stopped wanting the best athletes and decided this team needed real football players.

If you could put Dumervil's brain in Tim Crowder's body we'd have the best DE in the NFL, bar none.

FYI, even though I never have them enabled myself I tried to update it following this draft class with Peyton Hillis, somehow I failed to save the update correctly.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I've had avys disabled for a long time. Back when I did keep it enabled I would pick a rookie in each draft class to put in it. Year before Crowder it was Tony Sheffler.

Crowder is what really iced my hate of the Longhorns as draft prospects. He was an amazing athlete coming out with tons of potential, then he gets on the field and its clear the guy doesn't understand a damn thing about technique. Thats about when I stopped wanting the best athletes and decided this team needed real football players.

If you could put Dumervil's brain in Tim Crowder's body we'd have the best DE in the NFL, bar none.

FYI, even though I never have them enabled myself I tried to update it following this draft class with Peyton Hillis, somehow I failed to save the update correctly.

Fair enough. I still don't understand your praise of Crowder's athleticism, though. If anything, I'd say his #1 collegiate attribute was getting by on just being bigger than everyone else at his level. I think if you put Elvis's ATHLETICISM in Crowder's body, we'd have another Mario Williams, imo.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #20
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Fair enough. I still don't understand your praise of Crowder's athleticism, though. If anything, I'd say his #1 collegiate attribute was getting by on just being bigger than everyone else at his level. I think if you put Elvis's ATHLETICISM in Crowder's body, we'd have another Mario Williams, imo.
That's the point I was trying to make. He put up modest numbers at the combine and was never a speed guy.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
That's the point I was trying to make. He put up modest numbers at the combine and was never a speed guy.
I don't think at Texas or especially here he's shown anything that could remotely be considered "elite athleticism".
Old 03-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #22
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I really think people are missing Orakpo's weaknesses in this thread. For Once, this is a Texas DL that has heart, technique, and a motor to finish every play. That is the standard Anti-Texas argument.

What Orakpo lacks is elite explosiveness off the snap, the single most important quality in a DL. He also has had durability concerns as he missed games games in both season's as a fulltime starter, and both were knee injuries.

For what its worth, Crowder had as good or better explosiveness than Orakpo @ Texas. What he did not have was the intangibles that Orakpo has.

For the record, Crowder was 6035 and 272 and ran a 4.69 40 with 1.59 10 @ the combine officially.

Orakpo was 6030 and 263 and ran a 4.63 40 with a 1.58 10.

Those are awesome numbers for a DE in both cases. The problem is Orakpo is not explosive off the snap to go with those numbers. He got the majority of his big plays off of effort and hustle rather than beating his guy off the snap. Crowder was wildly inconsistent and that was the reason he dropped so much compared to his numbers.

The thing is I would take Orakpo and I am well known for not liking Texas players because of their mental makeup. Orakpo passes that with flying colors and Ithink He will be a very good DE/OLB for whoever he plays in the NFL. I just highly doubt he will be an elite one because he lacks the most important skill for a DL, first step and initial explosion.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Med- Do you have Orakpo's heart-weight from the combine? I projected it to be 12 ounces.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #24
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Med- Do you have Orakpo's heart-weight from the combine? I projected it to be 12 ounces.

Not the specifics, but I heard it was three times bigger than the Crowder's and Okam's combined
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Not the specifics, but I heard it was three times bigger than the Crowder's and Okam's combined

I can't resist laughing at any mention of Frank Okam's name.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: