The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Post: At Least Ten Teams Called About Cutler This Week

Broncos dance party: Ten teams like Cutler
The team has listened but is telling suitors it wants to keep its angry QB.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

If the Broncos decide to formally put Jay Cutler up for trade, they won't have trouble finding partners.

An NFL source said "more than 10" teams have called the Broncos this week inquiring about Cutler.

In most instances, those teams communicated nothing more than interest should Cutler become available. The Broncos have listened but have told all comers their plan is not to trade Cutler. He requested to be traded Sunday.

Cutler, 25, threw for a franchise-record 4,526 yards and was named to the Pro Bowl last season, but his relationship with new coach Josh McDaniels has been sideways since Cutler learned of a trade proposal that would have made former New England quarterback Matt Cassel the Broncos' quarterback. Cutler would have gone to Tampa Bay in the three-team deal.
Cutler's agent, Bus Cook, told NFL.com on Wednesday the root of his client's discontent was that Broncos owner Pat Bowlen didn't keep his word of retaining his offensive coaching staff intact after firing head coach Mike Shanahan. Instead, Cook said, Bowlen hired McDaniels, an offensive-minded coach who didn't want to keep Shanahan's top quarterback assistant, Jeremy Bates.

However, Cook must have forgotten Cutler signed off on the coaching changes during Super Bowl week, a few days after McDaniels set his staff.

"I talked to him after he got hired and it went really well," Cutler said of McDaniels on Jan. 30. "You know, when we got off the phone, I was excited, I really was. I had a good feeling about it."

Clearly, Cutler's problem is with the trade proposal and how McDaniels has since handled it. McDaniels admitted to Cutler he had interest in Cassel after coaching him the previous three seasons as New England's offensive coordinator. But McDaniels also said his interest never reached a point where he submitted the idea to Bowlen. Cassel was instead traded to Kansas City.

Since then, McDaniels and Cutler have talked twice, one in a conference call, and again Saturday in a meeting that also included Cook and Broncos general manager Brian Xanders.

Each conversation ended without Cutler not feeling reassured McDaniels trusts him to be his quarterback. After issuing his trade request, Cutler skipped McDaniels' first team meeting Monday and the first week of the team's offseason conditioning program.

A second NFL source said the Broncos remain optimistic about soothing the situation with their quarterback. Team officials do not want to give up on the tantalizing possibility of teaming Cutler's enormous, if not fully developed, talent with a coach who coordinated a New England offense to an NFL record 589 points in 2007.

The Broncos would not be surprised if teams more aggressively pursue Cutler during the NFL owners meetings that begin Sunday in Dana Point, Calif.

Which teams would be interested in Cutler? It might be easier to count the teams who already have franchise quarterbacks.

Teams who figure to have untouchable passers are New England (Tom Brady), Indianapolis (Peyton Manning), New Orleans (Drew Brees), the New York Giants (Eli Manning), San Diego (Philip Rivers), Pittsburgh (Ben Roethlisberger), Cincinnati (Carson Palmer), Green Bay (Aaron Rodgers), Atlanta (Matt Ryan) and Baltimore (Joe Flacco).

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11954932
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Looks like he hasn't hurt his value too much afterall...
Old 03-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

We will get a good value for Jay if we trade him. It's a simple fact that he has shown his ass to the public, but just as was the case with Jeff George a decade ago, people will be willing to take a chance and pay a good price.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
We will get a good value for Jay if we trade him. It's a simple fact that he has shown his ass to the public, but just as was the case with Jeff George a decade ago, people will be willing to take a chance and pay a good price.
What do you know about Jeff George and his personality? Maybe you could enlighten us with your insight as to he and Jay's parallels?

I know 3 people that went to school with Jeff George in Illinois. They took classes with him, went to parties with him and 1 was on the field with him during tryouts. I'm just warning you. You better have some scoop or shut up because he's one of the biggest POS's you've ever met and that was before anyone could blog.

Please step up.

Last edited by hambone13; 03-20-2009 at 12:47 AM..
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #5
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone13 View Post
What do you know about Jeff George and his personality? Maybe you could enlighten us with your insight as to he and Jay's parallels?

I know 3 people that went to school with Jeff George in Illinois. They took classes with him, went to parties with him and 1 was on the field with him during tryouts. I'm just warning you. You better have some scoop or shut up because he's one of the biggest POS's you've ever met and that was before anyone could blog.

Please step up.
I'm sure he was talking about Jay Cutler/Jeff George the football player/teammate, rather than Jay Cutler/Jeff George the man.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #6
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Please step up.
Interestingly, I know FOUR people who went to school with Jeff George, and FOUR people who to school with Cutler. On the douchebag ratio, Cutler scored a 4.7 versus George's 4.5. So, THERE! Take that mister hambone!
Old 03-20-2009, 12:53 AM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

Please step up.

OMG...AN INTERNET FACE OFF...

You are seriously a loser.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:56 AM   #8
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Anyone (Popps, Heav) who believed that is senile.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:57 AM   #9
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Broncos dance party: Ten teams like Cutler
The team has listened but is telling suitors it wants to keep its angry QB.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

If the Broncos decide to formally put Jay Cutler up for trade, they won't have trouble finding partners.

An NFL source said "more than 10" teams have called the Broncos this week inquiring about Cutler.

In most instances, those teams communicated nothing more than interest should Cutler become available. The Broncos have listened but have told all comers their plan is not to trade Cutler. He requested to be traded Sunday.

Cutler, 25, threw for a franchise-record 4,526 yards and was named to the Pro Bowl last season, but his relationship with new coach Josh McDaniels has been sideways since Cutler learned of a trade proposal that would have made former New England quarterback Matt Cassel the Broncos' quarterback. Cutler would have gone to Tampa Bay in the three-team deal.
Cutler's agent, Bus Cook, told NFL.com on Wednesday the root of his client's discontent was that Broncos owner Pat Bowlen didn't keep his word of retaining his offensive coaching staff intact after firing head coach Mike Shanahan. Instead, Cook said, Bowlen hired McDaniels, an offensive-minded coach who didn't want to keep Shanahan's top quarterback assistant, Jeremy Bates.

However, Cook must have forgotten Cutler signed off on the coaching changes during Super Bowl week, a few days after McDaniels set his staff.

"I talked to him after he got hired and it went really well," Cutler said of McDaniels on Jan. 30. "You know, when we got off the phone, I was excited, I really was. I had a good feeling about it."

Clearly, Cutler's problem is with the trade proposal and how McDaniels has since handled it. McDaniels admitted to Cutler he had interest in Cassel after coaching him the previous three seasons as New England's offensive coordinator. But McDaniels also said his interest never reached a point where he submitted the idea to Bowlen. Cassel was instead traded to Kansas City.

Since then, McDaniels and Cutler have talked twice, one in a conference call, and again Saturday in a meeting that also included Cook and Broncos general manager Brian Xanders.

Each conversation ended without Cutler not feeling reassured McDaniels trusts him to be his quarterback. After issuing his trade request, Cutler skipped McDaniels' first team meeting Monday and the first week of the team's offseason conditioning program.

A second NFL source said the Broncos remain optimistic about soothing the situation with their quarterback. Team officials do not want to give up on the tantalizing possibility of teaming Cutler's enormous, if not fully developed, talent with a coach who coordinated a New England offense to an NFL record 589 points in 2007.

The Broncos would not be surprised if teams more aggressively pursue Cutler during the NFL owners meetings that begin Sunday in Dana Point, Calif.

Which teams would be interested in Cutler? It might be easier to count the teams who already have franchise quarterbacks.

Teams who figure to have untouchable passers are New England (Tom Brady), Indianapolis (Peyton Manning), New Orleans (Drew Brees), the New York Giants (Eli Manning), San Diego (Philip Rivers), Pittsburgh (Ben Roethlisberger), Cincinnati (Carson Palmer), Green Bay (Aaron Rodgers), Atlanta (Matt Ryan) and Baltimore (Joe Flacco).

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11954932
Bolded the part I found interesting. So McD can't just do whatever he wants. He has to have Bowlen go ahead.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:59 AM   #10
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
OMG...AN INTERNET FACE OFF...

You are seriously a loser.

Ok, I admit that was a VERY weak post.

In my defense. Jeff George and Jay Cutler are about as far off in comparison as Rod Smith and TO. All I really wanted to convey was that JG was a piece of work that reeked of ****, like no other. It's not even fair to mention them together because that implies you might actually know something to compare other than they had egos and strong arms.
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #11
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Good. The Broncos shouldn't trade Cutler unless they get a Herschel Walker type deal (maybe not that extreme, but approaching it in relative terms). That being very unlikely, the best interests of the franchise are to make him play here. The Broncos have the power to say that Cutler cannot play anywhere else in the NFL until 2011. If Bowlen and McDaniels can get over their burnt egos they can just chill out and wait for Cutler to get over his. I don't think Cutler would hold out.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #12
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:

Pacman Jones found work, Taco. Suitors in the NFL for a guy with a big arm isn't a surprise. Jeff George found employers for years.

We'll have no way of knowing what his true value could have been if he didn't develop a reputation as a pouty, problem-child.

Certainly, someone will take a risk on him. I hope you're not telling us that as breaking news.

But, had he and his idiot agent handled this properly, they could have packaged this thing much more attractively to teams.

Now, you've got people in the NY media saying that maybe he's not "worth the risk," etc.

Now, had he just shut up and done his job... or tried to work covertly with the staff to get a trade out of town, his value would have been increased. How much more? Who knows. But, anyone with firing neurons knows that a b****y, pouty guy forcing his way out of town doesn't command the same trade value as a true pro like, say.. Champ Bailey.

But, I mean... leave it to you to insist that a guy making himself a problem and appear to be a head-case is a GOOD thing for trade value.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #13
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Ok, I admit that was a VERY weak post.

In my defense. Jeff George and Jay Cutler are about as far off in comparison as Rod Smith and TO. All I really wanted to convey was that JG was a piece of work that reeked of ****, like no other. It's not even fair to mention them together because that implies you might actually know something to compare other than they had egos and strong arms.
No one says they are precisely the same. But two supremely physically talented guys, who have bad attitudes, who think they are above the team, who haven't (yet anyway) come close to living up to their potential, who rumors suggests get drunk the night before games (to be fair, I've never heard this about George)...yeah, there are similarities.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #14
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Cutler and George are obviously very different guys.

But, that doesn't mean Cutler may not have a little George-personality in him.

Beyond that, George was simply an extreme example that if you can throw the ball, you could be a serial killer and find work.

But, still... your value IS affected by this stuff.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:23 AM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Pacman Jones found work, Taco. Suitors in the NFL for a guy with a big arm isn't a surprise. Jeff George found employers for years.

We'll have no way of knowing what his true value could have been if he didn't develop a reputation as a pouty, problem-child.

Certainly, someone will take a risk on him. I hope you're not telling us that as breaking news.

But, had he and his idiot agent handled this properly, they could have packaged this thing much more attractively to teams.

Now, you've got people in the NY media saying that maybe he's not "worth the risk," etc.

Now, had he just shut up and done his job... or tried to work covertly with the staff to get a trade out of town, his value would have been increased. How much more? Who knows. But, anyone with firing neurons knows that a b****y, pouty guy forcing his way out of town doesn't command the same trade value as a true pro like, say.. Champ Bailey.

But, I mean... leave it to you to insist that a guy making himself a problem and appear to be a head-case is a GOOD thing for trade value.

I was wondering what your reality-changing spin you were going to give to this considering how off the mark you were when you were trying to make the argument that nobody wanted to touch Jay with a ten foot pole. We've got ten teams lining up to put their dance card in, and you're still talking about what the NY Media might have to say about the guy, and how much we could have got for him if only he and his agent had only handled this properly.

We might have, what? 20 teams by your estimate? You figure his antics have scared off half the suitors?
Old 03-20-2009, 01:23 AM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I also need to remind you that we very well may fleece someone in a deal, and no one will be happier than I.

But, again... a guy with a clean record (so to speak) brings more value than a guy with baggage. It's just simple math.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:24 AM   #17
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
Good. The Broncos shouldn't trade Cutler unless they get a Herschel Walker type deal (maybe not that extreme, but approaching it in relative terms). That being very unlikely, the best interests of the franchise are to make him play here. The Broncos have the power to say that Cutler cannot play anywhere else in the NFL until 2011. If Bowlen and McDaniels can get over their burnt egos they can just chill out and wait for Cutler to get over his. I don't think Cutler would hold out.
he has already said he will be here when it is mandatory for him to be here.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:25 AM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
I also need to remind you that we very well may fleece someone in a deal, and no one will be happier than I.
No, you don't need to remind me of what I was telling you before. Jay's value is just fine.

And yes, you will be happy with what we get for him. How could you not be? You didn't even think the guy was worth a high first, and it's looking like that value is essentially in the bag.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #19
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
when you were trying to make the argument that nobody wanted to touch Jay with a ten foot pole. ?
Of course, Taco... you know I didn't say that.

I said no such thing.

But, we can do the dance, bro. Let's go back and post my quotes. You'll post them, say they mean something other than they do... I'll explain English to you, you'll call me a liar... I'll challenge you to put your $ where your mouth is, and you'll suddenly change the subject and puss-out like last time.

Go ahead. Let's do the dance. I'll start...

What I said was, I "wasn't even sure if Cutler would bring a high first round pick" at the time I posted what I did.

I still have no idea. I hope he'd bring more. Maybe he'll bring two high first rounders. But, I have no SOLID way of gauging that. Do you?

Quote:
We might have, what? 20 teams by your estimate? You figure his antics have scared off half the suitors?
I never said his antics have "scared off half the suitors."

I said a player with baggage brings less than a player without.

Dude, you really can't be this stupid. Honestly, and I know you're challenged... but you seriously can't be this damaged.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 AM   #20
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
No, you don't need to remind me of what I was telling you before. Jay's value is just fine.
It may well be.

It would have been finer without him making himself appear to be a punk. (Or being a punk.)

Simple math. Leave it to you to argue it.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #21
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

So Popps what do you think Cutlers value is?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:35 AM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Mcdaniels should call Cutler and have some humility. Say listen I screwed up by trying to sweep it under the rug. I was hoping we could start over by you flying to Denver and leading the team. They want you here, I want you here, the fans want you here, the owner wants you here.

What do you say Jay, ready to play some football?

Then if he comes back and leads the team, shows he isn't a whiner but a winner, give him a fat new contract next offseason.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #23
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
So Popps what do you think Cutlers value is?
I'm too biased. I want to get as much as possible.

I know what I WANT it to be. I want Detroit to give us their #20, as well as a #1 next year, and maybe even throw in a later round pick as well.

Well, I'll give you credit that you can follow a simple conversation that Taco can't...

His antics right now are not helping our bargaining position. YES, we'll have hoards off offers, but ANY player brings plenty of offers. I want GOOD offers. I still think we'll get good offers, my point was simply that had this been handled 100% "clean," teams wouldn't feel as much risk attached, imo.

That said, if I had to take a wild stab... I'd say a mid to low first rounder this year, and additional picks next year, probably a 2 and a 3, or a 2 and a 4.

Or, a mid #1 this year, a player of note... (D. Anderson) ... and maybe a mid-round pick next year.

That's a wild, wild guess.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #24
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

I'm actually more interested in what a dick Jeff George was. Hambone has me curious.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:40 AM   #25
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Mcdaniels should call Cutler and have some humility. Say listen I screwed up by trying to sweep it under the rug. I was hoping we could start over by you flying to Denver and leading the team. They want you here, I want you here, the fans want you here, the owner wants you here.

What do you say Jay, ready to play some football?

Then if he comes back and leads the team, shows he isn't a whiner but a winner, give him a fat new contract next offseason.
Jay wants a guarantee, financially and otherwise.

Josh wants to see a commitment to the team, his contract and an ability to run the offense. Jay hasn't thrown a pass in his system.

Those are pretty big canyons to cross, and to me... it's down to the player under contract to man-up in this situation. I really don't think stroking is going to solve this.

I mean, if Cutler truly "doesn't trust him," what is sniveling going to accomplish? He's just going to think it's BS.

The best way to handle it is to come in and PROVE you're a franchise QB. Then, we have no choice but to extend his contract.

Or, you could take the easy (cowardly) way out... and demand a trade.

Here we are.