The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme
Default Rogers still miffed at Mangini

Thursday, March 19, 2009
Rogers-Mangini rift still unresolved
By James Walker
ESPN.com

Apparently, the internal rift between Pro Bowl defensive tackle Shaun Rogers and new Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini remains unresolved.

According to a source, Rogers has been a no-show this week for the team's offseason workout program, which began Monday.

While the workouts are considered voluntary, Mangini has made it clear that he wants his players in attendance because it was his first chance to address the team in a group setting.

Mangini and Rogers have clashed for nearly two months when the coach initially refused to communicate with his star player, despite being in the same place on two separate occasions. Rogers didn't take the snubs lightly, as things escalated to the point where he asked to be released from his six-year, $42 million contract.

Rogers is guaranteed a $5 million bonus this month, making the player's release unlikely, and should earn an additional $950,000 in likely-to-be-reached incentives when he's on the field. Mangini has since attempted to reach out to Rogers, but his absence this week makes it clear that there is still much work to be done to patch up the relationship.

The eight-year veteran had one of his best seasons in 2008, registering 76 tackles and 4.5 sacks. The Browns finished 4-12 last season.

James Walker is the AFC North blogger for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...500&type=story

I hate to do this. I know we've all had enough of this but doesn't this just make sense? Browns just shipped Winslow to Tampa. Well hey, rumor has it a very good tight end may be available in Denver. Rogers is miffed and a no-show and Cutler is miffed and a no-show. The Browns have 2 QB's and one that has ties to the New England coaching tree. If Rogers continues to press this could be very interesting. I hate to speculate but this story just won't die.
Popcorn Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I've been posting and posting about this ... those two are like a couple of high school girls.

We should definitely try to nab this guy ... he is a Pro Bowl 3-4 nose tackle, we could most definitely use that.

I've been suggesting Brady Quinn, Shaun Rogers and the #5 pick.

Thoughts?
BroncoBuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

i just saw the article on ESPN and you beat me to it...

i find it fascinated the similarities between Roger's and Cutler's rift with their coaches...

basically they're both claiming their feelings are hurt...

anyway...we need to get this guy...i see no other viable options at a starting calibur NT right away...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

My question is that if Rogers can't handle Mangini's personality, what makes us think he'd get along with McDaniels. They are very similar coaches in terms of attitude, though McDaniels is probably a little more energetic.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
we need to get this guy...i see no other viable options at a starting calibur NT right away...
I think Fields is pretty good, but he's no Rogers.

Plus Quinn knows the offense ....

We get an impact defensive player at #5.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I've been posting and posting about this ... those two are like a couple of high school girls.

We should definitely try to nab this guy ... he is a Pro Bowl 3-4 nose tackle, we could most definitely use that.

Thoughts?
Quinn, Rogers and the #5 for Scheffler/Cutler seems like a good fit at this point. I just hope we don't reach/overpay to get Cassel through the other threeway Deadskin/Chef trade rumor cause our upside return in that scenario just wouldn't be that good.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Thoughts?
Well, Ive been an advocate of this as well. Rogers' value isnt equal to a 1st and Jays trade value is 2 firsts (incl the #5) and a player (such as Quinn). Pat Kirwan says the value of draft picks for Cutler should be around 3,600. So, maybe we could look for Quinn, Rogers, the #5, and a 2nd or 3rd, instead. It takes time for DTs to get on board with the pro game, so it might make sense to put a premium in getting someone without a learning curve.

I would definitely through Scheffler into that deal but thats going to escalate the draft pick.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
I hate to do this. I know we've all had enough of this but doesn't this just make sense? Browns just shipped Winslow to Tampa. Well hey, rumor has it a very good tight end may be available in Denver. Rogers is miffed and a no-show and Cutler is miffed and a no-show. The Browns have 2 QB's and one that has ties to the New England coaching tree. If Rogers continues to press this could be very interesting. I hate to speculate but this story just won't die.
no you're absolutely right...

it's crazy how much us and Cleveland fit like a glove right now...

these two teams should do business...

we have a malcontent at QB and need a replacement and the Browns are looking to rebuild and move in another direction and aren't enamoured with either of their QBs...they need a receiving TE and we have one we're trying to trade...we need a NT and they have one that doesn't want to be there...

even if we have to add a third team, i just don't see how Cleveland and Denver don't do business before the draft...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:

Thoughts?
I think Rogers is another IHOP waiting to happen, but would def. contribute, for how many seasons(maybe 2-3) and then you have #5 Pick and Brady Quinn. I thought Quinn looked good against us, but then again so did Jamarcus Russell and every other QB. I don't mind it, just not sure how good Quinn will be, he has his limitations with his arm-strength and mobility(not terrible).
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:

Thoughts?
That would be a wet dream if they would add a 6th or 7th. And I love Cutler.
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:

Thoughts?
If Cutler is unwilling to tuck his ***** between his legs and come back and play for the Broncos I would be on-board with this scenario. I still stand by the best option is Cutler and McDaniels to iron it out and move forward.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
Crushisback
Camp fodder

How about this:

Broncos Get: #5 and #36 Shaun Rodgers from CLE, and #33 from DET
Browns Get: Jay Cutler and #75(3rd #15) from Den
Lions Get: Brady Quinn

Deal!!
Crushisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:

Thoughts?
Sorry that is not enough. Hershel Walker-Ricky Williams type trade or no deal. He has three years on his contract so what is the hurry? If they want to trade him they should wait until next year when there will be some talent at QB i n the draft.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
If Cutler is unwilling to tuck his ***** between his legs and come back and play for the Broncos I would be on-board with this scenario. I still stand by the best option is Cutler and McDaniels to iron it out and move forward.
Of course, that is the 100% best result here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushisback View Post
How about this:

Broncos Get: #5 and #36 Shaun Rodgers from CLE, and #33 from DET
Browns Get: Jay Cutler and #75(3rd #15) from Den
Lions Get: Brady Quinn

Deal!!
That's interesting, I can hardly imagine having 5 picks in the first 45 ...

But it's also a heckuva lotta money on this year's draft class ... and no quarterback

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 03-19-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Old 03-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #15
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

I really really really want this to happen
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #16
Crushisback
Camp fodder

Quote:
Of course, that is the 100% best result here.

That's interesting, I can hardly imagine having 5 picks in the first 45 :Zowie:

But a heckuva lotta money on this year's draft class ... and no quarterback
I'd rather have the #33 from Det than Brady Quinn. This gets the lions off of the Stafford Sanchez hook and allows us to pick our QB in the top of the 2nd.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #17
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Rogers won't be coming. It's a huge cap hit for Cleveland if they move him at all. I wish that wasn't the case, I just... don't see it.

Also, the browns traded winslow because they don't really use a TE in their offense. So, Scheff has virtually no value to them.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #18
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:
That's interesting, I can hardly imagine having 5 picks in the first 45 ...

But it's also a heckuva lotta money on this year's draft class ... and no quarterback
That would be pretty sick. I think we would go back to being one of the youngest teams. Imagine the defensive talent we could get with that many picks. We could easily convert to our 3-4 in a year.
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #19
Crushisback
Camp fodder

Remember Det has a Defensive first year head coach. A ball control HC's worst nightmare is a rookie QB.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #20
Popcorn Sutton
Ring of Famer

Don't mess with Popcorn

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jacob Tamme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushisback View Post
I'd rather have the #33 from Det than Brady Quinn. This gets the lions off of the Stafford Sanchez hook and allows us to pick our QB in the top of the 2nd.
Why are so many people so down on Quinn? Sure he only played in a couple games last year but every time he has been given the chance he has played very well. I'm talking pre-season, relief work etc. He's already had 2 years to learn an NFL type system and he is "familiar" with the offensive system run by Weis/Patriots.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
Crushisback
Camp fodder

Besides, Rodgers is a Browns D lineman. This deal is a lock!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #22
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

I was open to this deal before I learned how much of a Douche Cutler was. So I'm even more open to it now.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #23
Crushisback
Camp fodder

Not really down on Quinn. If McD likes him I'm fine with it. Otherwise if we trade JC, I'd like McD to bring in his kinda guy. If I recall he comes from an organization pretty good at spotting late-round QB talent.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #24
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Thoughts?
I would be thrilled with this, but, I might prefer a #2 pick from Cleveland over Rogers. He is another bad attitude player. Great when motivated but too often fat and lazy. I think Cleveland is getting an extra second in the Winslow deal. Salary cap-wise, early second round picks are great value. Quinn, an early first and an early second for Cutler and Scheffler.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #25
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I think Quinn has kinda failed to impress....

On the bright side, he knows the system, and has always avoided interceptions. He had sick numbers at Notre Dame, klike 35/7 TDs to Ints in both his junior and senior years.

And the cap hit on Rogers? Isn't Jay's cap hit little or nothing this year? He's making oinly $150 anyway ... maybe they could backload a new deal and thusswallow Rogers' cap-hit as a trade-off

Last edited by BroncoBuff; 03-19-2009 at 02:05 PM..