The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2009, 06:16 AM   #1
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default Fan's Reaction???

How would everyone react if the Broncos extended Cutler's contract or gave him a completely new one?

I think it would be a poor decision to scrap his current contract and give him a brand new $70m contract or something like that. But, if they did it now they could point to some history and not have to give him that $100-120m.

Another option would be to add (extend) to his current contract. Something along the lines of two years, $20m with a $10m bonus. That would be adding $4m and $6m in 2012 and 2013 respectively and then amortizing $2.5m per year for the next four years. Would he go for that if it had a "no trade" clause or a poison pill (lump payment of $10m) or something of that sort in the extension? Would the fans go for that?

IMO, it would be a good idea to keep Cutler. I can certainly see life without him and I think that we could get by, but giving up a known commodity at the most important position is not the greatest idea either. Still, if the right opportunity presented itself, (e.g. Cassel and a pair of first round picks or Quinn, Rogers, and #5 overall) then you would have to consider it... especially if you consider the depleted or aging talent on defense!

Thoughts?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

To extend him or give him a new one would save the franchise from a Babe Ruth like curse.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

This ones for Pat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
To extend him or give him a new one would save the franchise from a Babe Ruth like curse.
no doubt ...

F this up and we could end up the L.A. Sharks ...
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Make him happy. We've got the cap room.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Absolutely. Again, just can't say I see anyone I'd rather have than Cutler at this time... save for maybe Matt Ryan.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

It would be a horrible precedent to set.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I'm so torn on this issue.

If it was about money from the start, which I believe it was, then i'm reluctant to pay the guy. He's had one really good year, but we didn't win more with him. I know, the defense was putrid, and I get that. But man, he seemed so upset with the whole Shanahan/Bates situation, and... I just question whether he wants to be here or not. That's a major issue for me.

I want him to be the QB, though, and that trumps everything I guess. So I'd like to see a no-trade clause added, to see if that would bring him back, and if not, we know about money.

of course, that happens and I don't know what we do.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #8
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
I agree.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

I think we should sign him to a long term contract with a no trade clause, and then send him and McD a vacation (ON A BOAT?) where they can get wasted and have some bonding time.

Problem solved.

ON A BOAT I SAY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QwM4vXex7c
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Sign 'Em!
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #11
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
I'm so torn on this issue.

If it was about money from the start, which I believe it was, then i'm reluctant to pay the guy. He's had one really good year, but we didn't win more with him. I know, the defense was putrid, and I get that. But man, he seemed so upset with the whole Shanahan/Bates situation, and... I just question whether he wants to be here or not. That's a major issue for me.

I want him to be the QB, though, and that trumps everything I guess. So I'd like to see a no-trade clause added, to see if that would bring him back, and if not, we know about money.

of course, that happens and I don't know what we do.
so Cutler planned to have Mcidiot try trade him for Cassel so he can demand a new contract? please
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
How would everyone react if the Broncos extended Cutler's contract or gave him a completely new one?
Im OK with giving him more money. If we keep him Im fine with it, Im fine if we get rid of him too.
Quote:
I think it would be a poor decision to scrap his current contract and give him a brand new $70m contract or something like that. But, if they did it now they could point to some history and not have to give him that $100-120m.
I was thinking 30 Million, being as he still hasnt progressed much and we dont know if he is going to get better or not. He may already be at his ceiling. A 30 Million dollar contract with incentives that could reach 70 million if he performs well or something.
Quote:
Another option would be to add (extend) to his current contract. Something along the lines of two years, $20m with a $10m bonus. That would be adding $4m and $6m in 2012 and 2013 respectively and then amortizing $2.5m per year for the next four years. Would he go for that if it had a "no trade" clause or a poison pill (lump payment of $10m) or something of that sort in the extension? Would the fans go for that?
This sounds like a better deal to me. Id rather we went this route. Cutler isnt worth 70+ million right now. He just isnt. Right now its still just potential.
Quote:
IMO, it would be a good idea to keep Cutler. I can certainly see life without him and I think that we could get by, but giving up a known commodity at the most important position is not the greatest idea either. Still, if the right opportunity presented itself, (e.g. Cassel and a pair of first round picks or Quinn, Rogers, and #5 overall) then you would have to consider it... especially if you consider the depleted or aging talent on defense!

Thoughts?
I just gave em to you
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #13
Muddled
Seasoned Veteran

passing through

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Foxworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Or a Jeff George like blessing
Muddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #14
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I dont think he's earned a new contract or an extension of his current deal, but if it happens it happens.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #15
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

The Broncos have to protect themselves. They have to make the determination whether or not they can make a long term (and very expensive) investment in Jay Cutler. Is this the end of Jay's immaturity, or only the beginning? Bring him in, let him play another year on his contract. If, by December, it looks like he's back on board and ready to lead, write him a new deal. If not, prepare draft deals for all the QBs coming out next year.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 AM   #16
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
Yes. Showing the locker room you're committed to your key players would be horrible.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #17
EmpireOrange
Seasoned Veteran

that contract had better include a lease agreement with John Elway so that Elway can yank his azz out of his position the next time he acts like a freaking child. The contract should also include provisions stipulating that Cutler hold a press conference, pull his pants down around his ankles, his shirt over his head, and squeeze his man boobs together and sing to the world "no milkshake, is better than mine, is better than mine". Cutler must be traded. No contract, traded
EmpireOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #18
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Im OK with giving him more money. If we keep him Im fine with it, Im fine if we get rid of him too.

I was thinking 30 Million, being as he still hasnt progressed much and we dont know if he is going to get better or not. He may already be at his ceiling. A 30 Million dollar contract with incentives that could reach 70 million if he performs well or something.

This sounds like a better deal to me. Id rather we went this route. Cutler isnt worth 70+ million right now. He just isnt. Right now its still just potential.

I just gave em to you
IMO Cutler right now is top 5 QB, that alone gives him 70 mil
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #19
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
so Cutler planned to have Mcidiot try trade him for Cassel so he can demand a new contract? please
Don't be retarded.

There's an awful lot more to this situation than the supposed-near trading of Cutler. Like Cutler's reaction every day since then, which involves asking for a "long term" commitment from the team, in spite of the coach, owner, FO, and team spokesman saying "WE ARE NOT TRADING JAY CUTLER."

If you actually READ my post (instead of one line FROM my post) you might see the point I was trying to get across.

Hand him a signed no-trade clause. See if that gets him back in the fold. If not, and it's all about money... well then I'd be right, wouldn't i?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:37 AM   #20
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I agree it would be a horrible precedent to set, but the thing that other players need to consider is that rarely do franchise QBs grace your hallways....and if we extend Jay now (and hopefully make him a Bronco for the next 10 years), we will not have to worry about a similar situation for for a long time. By then, who knows what the league will look like (in terms of contracts and stuff).

I say make him happy, lock him up and let's start winning some Super Bowls!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneDenverMooseGuy View Post
Don't be retarded.

There's an awful lot more to this situation than the supposed-near trading of Cutler. Like Cutler's reaction every day since then, which involves asking for a "long term" commitment from the team, in spite of the coach, owner, FO, and team spokesman saying "WE ARE NOT TRADING JAY CUTLER."

If you actually READ my post (instead of one line FROM my post) you might see the point I was trying to get across.

Hand him a signed no-trade clause. See if that gets him back in the fold. If not, and it's all about money... well then I'd be right, wouldn't i?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #22
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Yes. Showing the locker room you're committed to your key players would be horrible.
Commitment is a 2 way street. I've seen nothing from Jay Cutler over the last month to indicate any commitment towards this franchise.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #23
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sewell View Post
I think we should sign him to a long term contract with a no trade clause, and then send him and McD a vacation (ON A BOAT?) where they can get wasted and have some bonding time.

Problem solved.

ON A BOAT I SAY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QwM4vXex7c
Best idea ive heard all week!
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #24
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Here's my 10 cents.

Unless Cutler gets rid of Bus you can forget about cheap deals or 2 year extensions.

In Bowlen's current frame of mind I'd be surprised if he doesn't ask Jay for his players tickets back.

Commitment and respect are a 2 way street. Without knowing the full details of what has actually went on it's hard to conclude who's to blame but I see none of the above from either party.

I dont see any team in the league bowing to the demands of a player (regardless of his potential) who doesn't return the owner's calls or meet with the HC one on one.

The main objective first and foremost (if feasible) is to get a relationship rebuilt between McDaniels and Cutler, then they can talk about money. Base the relationship on the contract and it'll only end in tears and cost a damn fortune, which could've been utilised on a player who wants to play for this team.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #25
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Why not just give him a new contract that is mostly performance based? I know Bowlen will have no problem tossing Jay some extra coin if Jay gets the team to the playoffs.

I think a no trade clause is a great idea, but what happens if in three years we all decide that Jay has not met the potential most of us believe he has?

Jay: I've got my swimtrunks and my flippy floppies
McD:
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote