The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Default Paige: Don't destroy franchise

There isn't much news.

but I do agree with Woody.
__________________________________________________ ______

Go ahead, trade Jay Cutler! Get rid of him! Really, really punish him by sending him to Detroit! Or, better still, Siberia! Purge the pouter! Kick him to the curb and throw him under the Bus Cook!

But, remember this: Those Jeffs-, Jodys-, Jaspers-, Joshes- come-lately had better study the Broncos' history, or they are doomed to repeat the three-, four- and five-victory seasons.

Two words: Steve Ramsey.

Two more words: Steve Tensi.

Two more words: Steve DeBerg.

Lord, what fools these mortals be! Billy Shakespeare

To all the mortals inside Broncos Compound and outside Pigeon Valley who are demanding that Cutler be dumped like a load of coal, don't come crying to me after you've made that monumental mistake. Be careful what you wish for. You may get it.

Give me a quarterback who pouts and cares, who is furious and doesn't return phone calls, who wears a Ringo Starr hairstyle, his cap on backward and his shirttail sticking out, who is boastful and remote and who soon will be one of the top five at his position in the NFL.

I'll give you a quarterback who is gracious and affable, who has excellent table manners and wears an Armani suit, who has a smile on his face and a George Hamilton tan on his body, who likes to tweet on his Twitter and show up at your kid's birthday party dressed as a purple dinosaur, and who will be a guy who always plays just good enough to get you beat.

Matt Robinson, traded to the Broncos when he was 25, possessed a pleasant disposition and a nice car. He was an awful quarterback two touchdowns and 12 interceptions in seven starts and shuffled off to Buffalo the next season.

People, including a head coach, who haven't lived in Denver for a long time, or aren't old enough to recall the seasons before 1977, may not be aware that the Broncos have suited up 57 quarterbacks since 1960.

There have been 50 count 'em 50 different starting quarterbacks for the Broncos in 49 seasons.

The vast majority couldn't play dead.

One ended up living under a bridge.

So, you want to go back to Frank Tripucka, Mickey Slaughter, Max Choboian, Bubby Brister and George "Don't Call Me Bernard" Shaw.

Or the three Steves, Tensi, Ramsey and DeBerg.

Tensi and Ramsey were "retired" by age 29. DeBerg had three winning seasons as a full-time starter.

The first names of three of the Broncos' four best quarterbacks begin with "J" John, Jake and Jay. The other was Craig Morton. Three of the four played quarterback for the Broncos in 31 postseason games, eight conference championships and six Super Bowls.

Of all the rest, only six played quarterback in postseason games.

Cutler is the best quarterback the Broncos have picked in the collegiate draft. (Don't hand me ex-starters Brian Griese, Tommy Maddox or Mark Herrmann.)

In 1983 the Colts drafted a young, pouting, defiant quarterback who demanded to be traded, and he was sent to Denver. The Colts didn't recover until drafting another great quarterback No. 1 in 1998, Peyton Manning.

In 1991 the Cleveland Browns hired the league's youngest head coach. He feuded with his starting quarterback, Bernie Kosar (who had lifted the Browns to three AFC championship games, only to lose to the Broncos), and eventually replaced him with Vinny Testaverde. Kosar took over for the injured Troy Aikman in the NFC championship and led the Cowboys to the victory. The Browns coach, with a 36-44 record, was fired after the 1995 season. Bill Belichick.

Shall we be clear about McJaygate? After the first reports about the trade gone awry surfaced, coach Josh McDaniels told Mike Klis of The Denver Post: "We don't want to trade Jay. We never did. He's our quarterback."

A few days ago McDaniels told Peter King of Sports Illustrated that he did pursue a deal with New England for Matt Cassel, but "I think we were too late to the dance."

This is not a prom. It's pro football.

If I were the coach, I'd fly to Nashville and tell Cutler: "I'm sorry. I made a rookie mistake. You're our quarterback."

But, Josh, and Jeff and Jody and you, go ahead and run Jay out of Our Dusty Old Cowtown, for spite.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11945954
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I have to agree that if we can get Cutler to stay that is the best thing. But if he is adamant about leaving what can Broncos do.

Firing McDaniels and telling Cutler sorry, hiring back Shannahan or Bates just not an option.

How big a deal with Cutler want to stay? and if that is what it takes then doesn't that prove he is full of it. If it's about money then come out and say I think I deserve more money, that I can understand.

There may be no hope in keeping Cutler although it seems like the logical move for both parties.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
Popps
It's so easy

The only point he makes here is that we may regret losing Jay.

Thanks for clearing that up, Woody.

In the meanwhile, the ****bag doesn't want to play in Denver. You really think the organization is going to lower themselves to chasing this guy all over the country so they can plant one on his arse?

Get over it, Woody. I'd rather root for Chris Simms than someone who doesn't want to play for my Denver Broncos.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Spot on, Woody.

It's amazing how easily people around here are willing to give up on a once-in-a-generation quarterback.
BroncoBuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Solid take by Woodrow.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #6
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

In the meanwhile, the ****bag doesn't want to play in Denver. You really think the organization is going to lower themselves to chasing this guy all over the country so they can plant one on his arse?

Get over it, Woody. I'd rather root for Chris Simms than someone who doesn't want to play for my Denver Broncos.
He doesn't want to play for Josh... not Denver. Big difference.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

good column. I just hope the days of getting nervous whenever the quarterback drops back to pass are over for at least 10 years.

Man this crap has worn me out. So sick of the every day drumbeat. Just hope like hell the drunk and the kid dont destroy the franchise out of spite.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:

Knothead, he DOES want to play for the Broncos, he said it a million times. But after the TEAM tried to trade him behind his back, and then lied to him about it, he wants them to come clean, or trade him somewhere he's truly wanted.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Trading a franchise quarterback is always a mistake. Always.

Everyone can talk about pricniple or how much they hate Cutler or how they don't like his attitude. It's simple really, Shanahan + pressure from Bowlen to kick out Slowik would probably have us deep in the playoffs within 2 seasons. When you trade your star quarterback, especially if he's young, you lose - its a guarantee: bank on it, we'll be worse off after the trade than before it - alot.

Talking about Jarvis Moss as a bust, McDonald's over hear looks, acts and has all the signs of being a bust. This ain't old man Tom Coughlin lining up the troops with his hard line style - this is a 32 year old boy trying to stroke his own ego.

Let me reiterate, our coaching staff is full of losers - Nolan is a reactive, conservative playcaller from a losing 49ers team, and a guy who's never fielded a compitent defense without Rex Ryan. McDonalds was on the wrong side of the greatest upset and best defensive shut down (relatively speaking) in superbowl history; and got all the credit for Cassell developing since he's a first time starter, even though the guy had all of 3 full training camps and preseasons to prepare in the NFL.

Last edited by Willynowei; 03-19-2009 at 12:03 AM..
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
Trading a franchise quarterback is always a mistake. Its very simple really.
BINGO!
/
Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 AM   #11
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Spot on, Woody.

It's amazing how easily people around here are willing to give up on a once-in-a-generation quarterback.
QFT!
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #12
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Spot on, Woody.

No proof. No basis. Pure speculation.

"Once in a generation?"

Says who? Some decent yardage stats?

Dude hasn't won ****, has a 87 QB rating, a massive ego, and only threw 7 more TDs than INTs last season.

Once in a generation? He may END UP that way, but to say he's anything of the sort now is just comical.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:04 AM   #13
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willynowei View Post
Trading a franchise quarterback is always a mistake. Always.
When we get a franchise QB in town, let's have that conversation. You're probably right, but let's talk once we see a franchise QB not named Elway in Denver.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #14
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:

you know popps I have always thought you fare....but that you are not being fare in any way in this not even close you are talking stuff that is not real or in print . Cutler says he loves Denver so you are really revising... thats fine you are not always like this so I guess maybe got you reason but you look silly right now In my eyes . Cutler wants to be told he is long term what is damn tough about that .
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #15
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
No proof. No basis. Pure speculation.

"Once in a generation?"

Says who? Some decent yardage stats?

Dude hasn't won ****, has a 87 QB rating, a massive ego, and only threw 7 more TDs than INTs last season.

Once in a generation? He may END UP that way, but to say he's anything of the sort now is just comical.
His multiple come back wins don't count? Cutler lead his offense down the field on multiple occasions for the win.

Without Jay Cutler we would be a wreck on offense the past 2 seasons. So not only does our defense suck, but our offense would blow just as much.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #16
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTribbey View Post
His multiple come back wins don't count? Cutler lead his offense down the field on multiple occasions for the win.

Without Jay Cutler we would be a wreck on offense the past 2 seasons. So not only does our defense suck, but our offense would blow just as much.
Popps forgets that Cutler had a team with 11 TO's not to mention the worst starting position in the NFL for his offense. That's on top of having to throw into 7-8 man coverages all the time due to having no running game. We had only 2 100yard individual rushing games the ENTIRE SEASON. The fact Cutler didn't throw more than 18 INT's is in itself a marvel. Again his stats owned Elway's in their first 3 respective years, but Elway had a great defense that won games for him.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:12 AM   #17
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

While nothing new was presented, this is the 1st thing I've read that's made me sit abck and think hey... maybe it would be a mistake to trade him.

But then the other posters who are anti-Jay make good points as well. I suppose my stance is now (if it wasn't already), I want him to come back on good terms, play for the team, accept coaching from his coach and act like a professional at all times (probably a pipe dream), but if that's not possible - lets trade him for defence
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #18
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56crash View Post
Cutler wants to be told he is long term what is damn tough about that .
Crash, I don't believe Cutler wants to be in Denver. It's just that simple.

For all of my joking, I DO understand him having issue with being on the trade block. It's fine to have that upset you... but it should MOTIVATE him. But, it's not. It's making him stick a gun to our necks for more money.

Now, think about it. Just be totally clear-minded and think about this. If he really wanted to be in Denver... couldn't he just show up and prove McDaniels wrong for trying to trade him? The coach has invited him in to do so. Why does Jay need a financial guarantee? He's already got one. It's called his contract.

So, if he WANTED to be a Bronco, his teammates are waiting. He left them hanging at the meeting. Left them out to dry, answering questions from reporters about why it is their QB doesn't want to play with them.

So, I just don't believe him. He could come in and COMMAND a new contract with his play, if he's so talented. The new staff hasn't seen him throw a single pass in the new offense. Are any other players demanding a pay-raise?

Champ Bailey is a Hall of Famer. Is he demanding a pay-raise before the staff ever gets to see him on the field?

NO ONE else is demanding a raise before they show up to work.

Those aren't the behaviors of someone who wants to be there. Quite the contrary.

So, I believe I'm being fair. I understand he's upset... but I also believe he's giving us very clear signals that he wants out.

"It's run its course."
-Jay Cutler

What else do you need to hear?

Last edited by Popps; 03-19-2009 at 12:15 AM..
Old 03-19-2009, 12:14 AM   #19
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Popps forgets that Cutler had a team with 11 TO's not to mention the worst starting position in the NFL for his offense. That's on top of having to throw into 7-8 man coverages all the time due to having no running game. We had only 2 100yard individual rushing games the ENTIRE SEASON. The fact Cutler didn't throw more than 18 INT's is in itself a marvel. Again his stats owned Elway's in their first 3 respective years, but Elway had a great defense that won games for him.
I'm not saying the kid doesn't throw the ball well.

Franchise QBs prove they can carry teams on their backs to wins, despite incredible adversity for a long period of time.

Jay has done no such thing. He's put up some nice yardage stats and throws a pretty spiral.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:14 AM   #20
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
While nothing new was presented, this is the 1st thing I've read that's made me sit abck and think hey... maybe it would be a mistake to trade him.

But then the other posters who are anti-Jay make good points as well. I suppose my stance is now (if it wasn't already), I want him to come back on good terms, play for the team, accept coaching from his coach and act like a professional at all times (probably a pipe dream), but if that's not possible - lets trade him for defence
... and have Chris Simms or some rookie as our QB?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #21
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
I'm not saying the kid doesn't throw the ball well.

Franchise QBs prove they can carry teams on their backs to wins, despite incredible adversity for a long period of time.

Jay has done no such thing. He's put up some nice yardage stats and throws a pretty spiral.
Dude... Joe Montana couldn't have carried this team last year.

Trying to say that a franchise QB is going to carry ANY team, even one with 7 RB's on the IR and the WORST defense in the NFL is asinine.

... oh and Jay did carry us back to wins, Cleavland anyone? How about San Diego?

Tell me... did Dan Marino suck? Would the Dolphins have been better off without him?

Last edited by UberBroncoMan; 03-19-2009 at 12:18 AM..
Old 03-19-2009, 12:16 AM   #22
DeusExManning
Ring of Famer

Quote:

You clearly have made this personal and you are not thinking clearly about this. I can tell by how quickly you respond with one decisive view that has not been thought out but just supports what you have been saying all along. You are the Rush Limbaugh of the Orangemane.
DeusExManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #23
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
... and have Chris Simms or some rookie as our QB?
Teams win SBs.

We won't be winning a SB next year. The person taking snaps for us next year isn't nearly as crucial (at this point) as people are making it out to be. It's going to be a tough, rebuilding year, no matter how you slice it.

We've got time to develop someone in our system, which McDaniels knows all about. It's his specialty.

I'd like to keep Jay, but if not... hope springs eternal.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #24
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Quote:
Crash, I don't believe Cutler wants to be in Denver. It's just that simple.

For all of my joking, I DO understand him having issue with being on the trade block. It's fine to have that upset you... but it should MOTIVATE him. But, it's not. It's making him stick a gun to our necks for more money.

Now, think about it. Just be totally clear-minded and think about this. If he really wanted to be in Denver... couldn't he just show up and prove McDaniels wrong for trying to trade him? The coach has invited him in to do so. Why does Jay need a financial guarantee? He's already got one. It's called his contract.

So, if he WANTED to be a Broncos, his teammates are waiting. He left them hanging at the meeting. Left them out to dry, answering questions from reporters about why it is their QB doesn't want to play with them.

So, I just don't believe him. He could come in and COMMAND a new contract with his play, if he's so talented. The new staff hasn't seen him throw a singl pass in the new offense. Are any other players demanding a pay-raise?

Champ Bailey is a Hall of Famer. Is he demanding a pay-raise before the staff ever gets to see him on the field?

NO ONE else is demanding a raise before they show up to work.

Those aren't the behaviors of someone who wants to be there. Quite the contrary.

So, I believe I'm being fair. I understand he's upset... but I also believe he's giving us very clear signals that he wants out.

"It's run its course."
-Jay Cutler

What else do you need to hear?
He has also stated that he went to the meeting wanting to hear he was still long term and all he heard was that he still might be traded I don't blame him for what he is asking a simple you are our long term plans .if not I don't blame him trade me .

people are making more of this than it is . simple
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:19 AM   #25
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
When we get a franchise QB in town, let's have that conversation. You're probably right, but let's talk once we see a franchise QB not named Elway in Denver.
Cutler aside I have no idea why you like this new regime; it stinks of all the things I know you hate.

We have a reactive defensive philosophy yet again - under the retarded "play it safe" Nolan. We have an offense thats purely run and gun - from the Pats, and we may not even have the personell for it pending the Cutler trade. Which means, yet again - no tough ball control offense. We have yet the same FA spending that I hated under shanahan - OVER PAY insignificant people -as in this new Long Snapper who may or may not be as good as Leach.

Then we have yet another load of cash spent on the secondary. I'm not saying I don't like Dawkins, but this reminds me of the signing of John Lynch. Hey, good pickup but where are your priorities.

With the Cutler ordeal, i don't care where you put the blame, the fact is, this doesn't hurt Cutler nearly as much as it hurts Denver. Now they don't even know what draft picks they'll have or even the holes - pending the trade of Cutler and/or Scheffler.

And to round it all out, McDaniels has done nothing but bring in "his guys" that's "loyal to him" and all this stuff that people were getting on Shanny's back for. Remember, "club med" style of running things? Favoritism? Not basing things on purely performance?

Lets be realistic here, anyone knows how the world works knows that opportunities don't conveniently pop up. McDaniels went after Cassell because he liked him. And every one in Football knows Cutler is the superior player. Same thign with getting rid of Mike Leach. McDaniels "liked" the other guy. Thats favoritism. Thats the one thing they supposedly got rid of Shanny for.

And remember "accountability"? Popps?

The idea that McDonalds would answer to the Goodmans? - the GMs! the balance of power?

GONE.

I really don't know why you're siding with MickyDs on this one Popps. I don't think they are going the right direction with Defense or offense at this point. Theres no smash mouth running game, not philosphy wise, and niether is this going to be a blitzing defense, not under Nolan.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote