The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default Carlton Powell: Super Rookie

I wonder where he will play and how he will do. I like his attitude. He ain't a bad dude.

Carlton Powell: Super Rookie
By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When Broncos fans think back to the 2008 draft, it's all about offense. Ryan Clady, Peyton Hillis, Spencer Larsen, Kory Lichtensteiger, Eddie Royal and Ryan Torain all saw the field on the offensive side of the ball last season.

Only three players played on the defensive side from the draft. Josh Barrett and Jack Williams joined Larsen -- who memorably played linebacker and fullback in one game in Atlanta -- on defense.

That's eight of the nine picks in quite a successful draft class that saw the field in last season.

In 2009, number nine hopes to help make the 2008 draft just as memorable for the defense. Just don't call him a rookie.

"I consider myself a 'super rookie,'" Carlton Powell said. "Because I definitely did sit in on all the meetings, I watched all the film and I was out there watching practice. So I've pretty much got a feel for everything as far as the mental aspect, I just wasn't out there physically."

The defensive tackle's rookie season was cut short before it even started. He injured his Achilles' tendon before training camp, and was placed on the Reserve/Physically Unable to Play list on August 26.

He spent the rest of the season rehabbing, which continued all throughout the offseason with Head Athletic Trainer Steve Antonopulos. He was one of several players that stayed around Dove Valley while the rest of his teammates vacationed with their friends and families.

But Powell said it was worth it, because now he's back on the field running around with his teammates.

"It's great to have everybody back up here -- it's a little bit of added motivation," he said.

He added that while there's a little tightness, his strength and flexibility are back to 100 percent after his injury. Now he's ready to hit the field and carry the success he saw at Virginia Tech into the National Football League.

Powell started for 13 games in both of his final two years at school, posting career highs in tackles and sacks as a senior and leading a defense that led the nation in scoring defense and total defense his junior campaign.

According to NFLDraftScout.com, Powell finished his career as a Hokie as the only Division I-A player who held opponents to negative rushing yards on running plays directed at him -- -13 yards on 106 attempts.

"If the ball is coming in my direction, I'm either going to make the play behind the line of scrimmage or at the line of scrimmage," the 6-foot-3, 300-pound tackle said. "Not much gets past me."

That could be a big key for a Broncos defensive unit that Elvis Dumervil said on Tuesday will be "nasty" in 2009.

"I definitely feel the same way," Powell said, cracking a smile. "Especially now that I'm going to be out there.

"Just with the guys we've got here now I think it's going to be a pretty good fit."
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I hope you're right.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
extralife
Ring of Famer

Yeah, is it just me or does this guy seem like a perfect 3-4 end? Build and play style, at least.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Yeah, is it just me or does this guy seem like a perfect 3-4 end? Build and play style, at least.
Not just you...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...carlton+powell

A former linebacker in high school, the 62, 301-pound Powell switched to defensive tackle upon enrolling at Virginia Tech. He went on to establish himself as one of the most successful defensive tackles in Hokie history.

Powell finished his career with 104 tackles (21.5 tackles for loss), 5.5 sacks, 30 quarterback pressures, and two forced fumbles. He was named to second team All-ACC as a senior.

I'm excited about this kid's potential. Was really bummed to see him go down last year. He may amount to nothing, but his pedigree sure is intriguing.... and I don't think there's any question he'll get a try at DE.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Thanks for the good news.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
philiptr2
Gunslinger

DRAW!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
That could be a big key for a Broncos defensive unit that Elvis Dumervil said on Tuesday will be "nasty" in 2009.
Nasty? Nasty good or nasty bad?

I still have my doubts.
philiptr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I like Powell i think he will figure into the DC somewhere.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Not just you...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthr...carlton+powell

A former linebacker in high school, the 62, 301-pound Powell switched to defensive tackle upon enrolling at Virginia Tech. He went on to establish himself as one of the most successful defensive tackles in Hokie history.

Powell finished his career with 104 tackles (21.5 tackles for loss), 5.5 sacks, 30 quarterback pressures, and two forced fumbles. He was named to second team All-ACC as a senior.

I'm excited about this kid's potential. Was really bummed to see him go down last year. He may amount to nothing, but his pedigree sure is intriguing.... and I don't think there's any question he'll get a try at DE.
If he's added any good muscle weight at all during his injury rehab I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a shot at NT.

But yes, at the very least I think he could play NT in our 4-3 base and move to DE in the 3-4 base. And yes, I think we'll go hybrid until Nolan has the NT and a few other pieces needed for a real 3-4.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

bump!
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I'm very excited about Powell. He's one of the brite spots on the defense, IMHO. I hope he gets healthy and stays healthy.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I'm so pumped about Powell, I'm thinking of getting a #75 jersey. Orange, of course. I'll bet by the end of this season a lot of Broncos fans will feel that way.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote