The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo
Default Bowlen and Bus sound off

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Before Jay Cutler and Josh McDaniels entered their swamp of contentious confusion, the groundwork for a muddled fallout between the quarterback and the Denver Broncos had roots in the days following team owner Pat Bowlen's Dec. 30 firing of coach Mike Shanahan.

Bus Cook, Cutler's agent, said on Monday morning: "Jay was disappointed in the firing of Mike Shanahan and met with the owner. The owner assured him everything would be fine. The owner said he had the second-best offense in football and would leave the offensive staff intact. Jay was good with that. Then he hires an offensive coach who gets rid of the staff."

"If you are going to be an unhappy camper, there is no real reason to be here."
-- Broncos owner Pat BowlenBowlen said on Monday afternoon: "I really have had no discussion with Jay or the agent. Mike was fired right after the season. At that point, there was no need to have a discussion with Jay. Now, actually, to be fair, I don't think I had that discussion. I don't recall it. I know I'm getting up there in age, and I am not sure of that discussion."

Little wonder Cutler and the Broncos are in total bewilderment.

This thing began unraveling quicker than most knew.

It is clear that Cutler bought into the coaching of Shanahan, and even more so, that of his former offensive coordinator, Jeremy Bates, who is now at USC. It appears Cutler believed keeping Bates aboard was the best of a rocky situation.

But on Jan. 12, Bowlen, as is his absolute right, hired former New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. McDaniels, as his absolute right, wanted to run his own offense with his own hand-picked offensive assistants.

Cutler's attitude at that point was, well, you might as well get rid of me, too.

"But I never requested a trade for Jay then," Cook said. "That is simply not true.

"Jay met with the coach early on and then told me everything was going to be OK. He said, 'We are going to work this out; we are on the same wavelength.' Everything was fine until Saturday two weeks ago. Jay called me and asked, 'Are they trying to trade me?' I told him, 'No, why would they try to do that?'"

That was when the story broke that the Broncos had discussions about trading Cutler in a deal that would bring then-New England quarterback and McDaniels mentee Matt Cassel to Denver. Cassel wound up being traded to the Kansas City Chiefs, but Cutler has said he lost trust in McDainiels because of the way the entire episode was handled.

Broncos on Cutler situation "We told them the evening of our last meeting that Jay wanted to be a Bronco even before the meeting," Cook said. "Jay told them he understood about the coach's relationship with Matt Cassel. At no time was the coach critical of Jay. In fact, he told Jay soon after he got to Denver that Jay was the reason he came to Denver. So, why was he trying to trade him? All the guy had to do was say I dropped the ball, I have a special bond with Cassel, you are my guy. Jay never heard that. What he heard in the meeting was it could happen again."

An absolute mess here all around.

Bowlen realizes it. He was asked if he thought Cutler would remain a Bronco.

"To tell you the truth, I have no answer to that question," Bowlen said. "I would like to keep him here, obviously. But if you are going to be an unhappy camper, there is no real reason to be here."

Bowlen was asked if he has reservations about McDaniels, his new coach, or the way he handled this matter.

"Obviously, I am not going to criticize the head coach," Bowlen said. "I think he was trying to be a head coach. As I see it, Jay got upset about things and his feelings were hurt, and here we are. I am not going to weigh in on who is to blame here. This whole incident has been written about and talked about, and I am moving on, personally. We're getting ready for the draft and ready to play next season."
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
"Obviously, I am not going to criticize the head coach," Bowlen said.
Why is that obvious? Is he talking "ever" or just in this limited instance? Kind of a significant difference there.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If you are going to be an unhappy camper, there is no real reason to be here."
-- Broncos owner Pat BowlenBowlen said on Monday afternoon: "I really have had no discussion with Jay or the agent. Mike was fired right after the season. At that point, there was no need to have a discussion with Jay. Now, actually, to be fair, I don't think I had that discussion. I don't recall it. I know I'm getting up there in age, and I am not sure of that discussion."

This is really embarassing to hear as a Broncos fan coming from the owner of my team.

Coupled with his debachery of a speech for Zimms HOF induction and this bumbling crap, im beginning to wonder if Bowlen is suffering from the onset of Alzheimers (and im sorry if a offend anyone here who knows someone suffering from it, but i really question Bowlens ability to run this franchise when i hear stuff like this)
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Wrong Bowlen, you do need to deal with this! The Bronco's ability to compete over the next decade hang in the balance.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

The only time an agent lies is when his lips are moving
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

I honestly think that Bowlen has talked to McD, and told him he F'ed up on this whole situation. He needs to tell McD to fix it now.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

"I am not going to weigh in on who is to blame here. This whole incident has been written about and talked about, and I am moving on, personally. We're getting ready for the draft and ready to play next season."

Whoa, whoa, whoa, compadre. You mean the world doesn't stop spinning when Jay Cutler isn't in the fold?

Shocking.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovolution View Post
If you are going to be an unhappy camper, there is no real reason to be here."

This is really embarassing to hear as a Broncos fan coming from the owner of my team.

Coupled with his debachery of a speech for Zimms HOF induction and this bumbling crap, im beginning to wonder if Bowlen is suffering from the onset of Alzheimers (and im sorry if a offend anyone here who knows someone suffering from it, but i really question Bowlens ability to run this franchise when i hear stuff like this)
Pretty sure that was a joke.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Folks, Bowlen has already dealt with it.

Jay can honor his contract or **** right off.

K?

Problem dealt with.

Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

You know...I've pretty much been in McDaniels court throughout this, and this doesn't really change that for me, but Pat is starting to sound a little loose in his screws...how can he get past this personally until the organization gets past it professionally...none of us, including him, even know what exactly needs to be gotten past.

I'm not really inclined to take Cook at face value, he has every reason to stoke this thing up, but in this article he is doing a far better job of painting the Broncos as unreasonably contentious than vice versa.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #12
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Pretty sure that was a joke.
after watching his Zimmerman HOF induction speech im not so sure
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
sisterhellfyre
Some days it's not worth

fighting the clowns under my bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
Wrong Bowlen, you do need to deal with this! The Bronco's ability to compete over the next decade hang in the balance.
Eh. Whatever. I'm just waiting to see where Jay ends up, and how much the Broncos get back for him in the trade.

Regards,
m.
sisterhellfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Ok thats pretty ****ing weak if Bowlen meant that.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #15
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovolution View Post
after watching his Zimmerman HOF induction speech im not so sure
I don't remember him ever being a very good speaker
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Bowlen said on Wednesday afternoon: "I really have had no discussion with Jay or the agent. Mike was fired right after the season. At that point, there was no need to have a discussion with Jay.

Big shocker, huh? Bowlen didn't need to pull Jay out of his beer-pong tournament to ask his thoughts on how to run the franchise.

Of course, anyone with a basic understanding of the business workplace would have known that was the case.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
HAHAHAHAHA
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #18
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
I don't remember him ever being a very good speaker
True. "This one's... for John!" even came out a little stilted.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
DrFate
Lord of Order

I've read the piece three times. I still don't know what Bowlen is trying to say? He's just going to ignore things?
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Big shocker, huh? Bowlen didn't need to pull Jay out of his beer-pong tournament to ask his thoughts on how to run the franchise.

Of course, anyone with a basic understanding of the business workplace would have known that was the case.
Except for when Bowlen said "Jay's the man now" and that he would "keep Jay up to date with what was going on."
Old 03-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #21
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
I've read the piece three times. I still don't know what Bowlen is trying to say? He's just going to ignore things?
Yeah its a very disjointed conversation to say the least.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #22
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
You know what he's saying?

THERE'S NOTHING TO BE ****ING GAINED BY TALKING TO THE MEDIA ABOUT THIS. That's what he's saying.

he's toeing the company line. nothing more.

If you want to make drama in the papers, you're going to have to contact Bus Cook or Jay Cutler.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #23
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

"Jay was disappointed in the firing of Mike Shanahan and met with the owner. The owner assured him everything would be fine. The owner said he had the second-best offense in football and would leave the offensive staff intact. Jay was good with that."

Love him or hate him, Jay has got some serious balls as a 3rd year qb to have this type of conversation with his owner.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #24
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
I've read the piece three times. I still don't know what Bowlen is trying to say?
Here ya go...

"I think he was trying to be a head coach. As I see it, Jay got upset about things and his feelings were hurt, and here we are. I am not going to weigh in on who is to blame here. This whole incident has been written about and talked about, and I am moving on, personally. We're getting ready for the draft and ready to play next season."

I underlined what he's going to do, if that helps.

Perhaps you mean what is Cutlerbus going to do? Honor their contract or **** on the fans/teammates?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #25
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
He's never really been that comfortable in dealing with player personnel in his organization. It's just a part of who he is... so it's not really surprising to see that he's trying to avoid everything.