The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller
Default Martz on Cutler from MHR

Former HC Mike Martz weighs in on Jay Cutler situation

Milehighreport_tiny by TheSportsGuru on Mar 18, 2009 12:15 PM MDT Comment 38 comments

I know, I know, another take on the Jay Cutler saga. Unfortunately for you, I am always intrigued by the thoughts and opinions of "experts" when it comes to any drama or controversy.

For instance, I put more weight in the words of Mike Martz when it comes to the QB/Head Coach dynamic because, well, Martz WAS A HEAD COACH and had to deal with QB's. That makes him more 'qualified' than, say, John Clayton. That doesn't mean his opinion will be correct, but at least it comes from a position of real knowledge.

Anyway, Yahoo Sports posted the thoughts Martz, as well as an unnamed offensive coordinator currently working in the NFL. Their thoughts are interesting to say the least and follow the train of thought that became popular with this website before anywhere else last week --

Quote:
Mike Martz --

“I really think the thing with Jay and [Broncos coach] Josh [McDaniels] isn’t an issue at all. To me, it’s more about the posturing that goes on, probably from people around Jay, like his agent. Really, that stuff happens all the time in the NFL and you just deal with it. You get in a room with just the quarterback and the coach and you start to talk about what you’re going to do, what’s the offense going to be and all of a sudden that stuff fixes itself … it’s like with Kurt [Warner] in St. Louis. His wife got involved in it on a radio program and it made news, but that was a short-term thing and it gets resolved pretty quickly.

To be honest, I think that Jay and Josh will work really well together once their able to sit down, away from other people, and just talk about football … Whether it’s the agent, management or the media, a lot of this stuff can take on a life of its own that really doesn’t matter once the player and the coach sit down and talk about the system, what the practices are going to be like, all of that stuff.

“I think that Josh will love Jay as a player when they finally are able to do that. I love Jay Cutler. When he was coming out in the draft, really, I was enraptured by his talent. I thought he was really, really special. We brought him in to Detroit before the draft and I talked to him for a long time. I like his makeup. I think he’s physically tough and mentally tough. I think he’s got everything you want in a quarterback.

“Yes, trust is a crucial part of the coach-quarterback relationship. No question, it’s all about trust. But that trust will develop. I know people are saying that Josh wanted to get Matt Cassel, but I think that if Jay and Josh give it time working together, there will be trust. Really, it would be different if this happened a year from now after they’d had a year to work together. If that were the case, then you could see there’s a problem. But that’s not where this is right now.”
NFL Offensive Coordinator --

Quote:
“I agree that Cutler’s agent [Bus Cook] is driving this problem a lot. I’m not sure that I buy that Cook was the problem with what happened in Green Bay [where Cook client Brett Favre and the Packers went through an ugly divorce] or Tennessee [where Cook client Steve McNair and the Titans also parted on bad terms]. In both of those, the teams clearly wanted to go another direction. That wasn’t going to be pretty.

“But in Denver, this is one where Cook needs to be calming the situation, not feeding it. The Broncos have built that team around Cutler. They have Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal and a good tight end [Tony Scheffler] if he can stay healthy. If you’re an agent for a quarterback with those guys, you keep him there because your quarterback has a chance to win and make a lot of money.

“To me, the owner [Pat Bowlen] has to tell the player, ‘You’re not going anywhere and that’s it.’ All this wishy washy crap about how they might trade him if they get a young quarterback or whatever, that’s ridiculous. It just feeds the frenzy. We’re talking about a franchise quarterback. This guy is the real deal when it comes to pure talent … Yeah, he has some issues that bug you. He’s kind of surly, from what I hear, and not a great leader yet and I emphasize yet because he was a great leader at Vanderbilt. All that stuff between him and Philip Rivers is just a waste of time. As a coach, you’re saying to yourself, ‘Who cares?’ But you know that there’s jealousy out there. If it makes him work harder, hey, that’s not a bad thing.”
If your opinion of this whole mess hasn't changed by now, well....

http://www.milehighreport.com/2009/3...ke-martz-wiegh
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

uh oh...he called Jay jealous...and he doesn't seem to know that the Broncos are shopping Scheffler
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Of course I thought the Broncos have already come out and said they weren't trading Cutler.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Anaximines
Anaximines

Anaximines

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

still, pretty encouraging
Anaximines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
and he doesn't seem to know that the Broncos are shopping Scheffler
You know... Didn't Graham come to Denver cause he wanted to catch more balls? And isn't Sparky shopping Scheffler because, as a patch catcher, he 'doesn't fit' because they run three wide a lot?

So - how does Graham feel about becoming that 3rd OT?

DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

I hope Jay didn't read this, it will onyl go to his head.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I put as much stock in Martz's opinion as I do every other celebrity that's come forward for one camp or the other.

That said, he brought up a good point that Jay might want to consider.

Where else are you going to go with two bookend tackles, two pro-bowl receivers that compliment each other, a smart offensive coaching staff and a play-making tight end?

Virtually all the teams that would trade for Jay don't have at least half those things and some have fewer.

Be careful what you wish for, Cutler.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
You know... Didn't Graham come to Denver cause he wanted to catch more balls? And isn't Sparky shopping Scheffler because, as a patch catcher, he 'doesn't fit' because they run three wide a lot?

Actually Graham came because we offered the most money. That said, he said he's very excited about working with McDaniels again.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #9
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

He is probably not very happy. However, being the team leader that he is, he does as his team asks and leads from the front.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I put as much stock in Martz's opinion as I do every other celebrity that's come forward for one camp or the other.

Where else are you going to go with two bookend tackles, two pro-bowl receivers that compliment each other, a smart offensive coaching staff and a play-making tight end?

Virtually all the teams that would trade for Jay don't have at least half those things and some have fewer.

Good point. Maybe Cutler is all about the money, who knows. I know I wouldn't want to play for the Lions or Browns especially and they have the most attractive deals to offer in a trade. As you stated, he needs to be careful what he wishes for. His agent won't give a damn. As long as he gets his money, Cutler can get his brains bashed in for all he cares.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

This is about a new deal. There is a new FO that is not married to Cutler, and he wants to know that he is secure going forward.
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

I think this can all go away if we offer cutler a no-trade clause in exchange for a few more years tacked on to his contract. See, everybody's happy.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:

well he came to Denver because we offered him a pretty damn hefty contract...he said that he felt under used as a passing target in NE and that he looked forward to seeing more balls thrown his way in Den, but it didn't really turn out that way. He saw a little love toward the end of the season, but mostly he blocked as he did in NE.

I'm guessing that with Scheffler on the trade block, Graham gets inserted into the Ben Watson role, and I bet he's excited about that.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

My bottom line is still that I want Jay back in the Broncos camp. I agree with Bowlen, it's up to Jay. If he doesn't want to be here, then adios.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #15
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Good point. Maybe Cutler is all about the money, who knows. I know I wouldn't want to play for the Lions or Browns especially and they have the most attractive deals to offer in a trade. As you stated, he needs to be careful what he wishes for. His agent won't give a damn. As long as he gets his money, Cutler can get his brains bashed in for all he cares.
I think Cutler and his agent are manuevering and posititioning for a possible reuniting with Shanahan for the 2010 season.
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #16
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Not to thread jack too much, but I don't agree with the notion that Scheffler doesn't fit in with the new Pat's offense. He seems to do just what Watson did for McDaniels in NE. As far as I can remember, Watson was split out or in the slot plenty...exactly what Scheffler excels at. So I'm kind of confused as to whether he's just "not in their plans" or "doesn't fit"...

Maybe it's a case of seeing Scheffler as a bit of a surplus with Graham in place with the bigger contract. Tony might be of more value to another team than he is to the new Broncos, and McDaniels can make do with Graham along with a few others to chip in (as he did in New England).

Or maybe McDaniels likes how his offense operated last season without Watson, or any other receiving TE threat for that matter, instead spreading the field with guys like Welker and Gaffney.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #17
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

“To me, the owner [Pat Bowlen] has to tell the player, ‘You’re not going anywhere and that’s it.’ All this wishy washy crap about how they might trade him if they get a young quarterback or whatever, that’s ridiculous. It just feeds the frenzy. We’re talking about a franchise quarterback. This guy is the real deal when it comes to pure talent … Yeah, he has some issues that bug you. He’s kind of surly, from what I hear, and not a great leader yet and I emphasize yet because he was a great leader at Vanderbilt. All that stuff between him and Philip Rivers is just a waste of time.

Too bad Bowlen just did the opposite.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #18
JPPT1974
September Falls!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning!

Well, whatever Bowlen says goes and rules.
No ands, ifs nor buts!
JPPT1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #19
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Given the grammatical errors in those Martz quotes, I have to question the articles validity
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This interview is puzzling to me. Why would any Broncos fan give a flying leap about what Mike Martz had to say about this situation? I mean, he's no Megan McCain...
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #21
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

That seems like a pretty honest assessment of this tar pit. McDaniels and Cutler have taken their positions and begun to lay seige to the other guy. In Cutlers' case, his artillery is directed by Bus Cook and is blazing away at anything that moves.

Metaphors aside, while Martz isn't my favorite football guy, he does understand the experience of resolving an end-all dispute with a star QB, which is exactly the situation Denver finds itself in at the moment. And his suggestion that the two sit down WITHOUT the outside influences and just hash things out, ultimately, offers the most realistic potential for a solution.

Of course, that assumes that McDaniels really does want Cutler in Denver, and that Cutler wants to stay under the right coaching conditions.

Big Assumptions, big problem, needs immediate solution. Can you hear me Pat?
OrangeRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #22
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
But in Denver, this is one where Cook needs to be calming the situation, not feeding it.
This quote sums up Cook's role in all of this.
He's wrong and he should be a positive influence while his young client, Jay, is going off the rails.

How different might this have been if Cook had taken the high ground and told Jay:

"Hey, don't worry about it, this happens all the time. Let me talk with the Broncos and see how serious, if at all, this trade talk is."

The conflict could have ended right there.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #23
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
I hope Jay didn't read this, it will onyl go to his head.
Because he's awesomely special, so Martz doth say.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #24
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

I've stated that many times. In fact, on my post about top cities Jay would want to play for, I also listed Denver, not only because of those thing you said, but also because this is a great franchise with great fans. He's the Denver Broncos QB. He will never be any more loved by fans where ever he goes then in Denver. An owner willing to spend money. Sure, there are some other that do but there are quite a few who won't. Excellent facilities, state of the art grass field, nice football weather.

Huge mistake is Cutler wants out.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #25
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:

This is the most frustrating thing for me. Cutler under McDaniels could be the best QB in the league. Particularly with the offensive talent we have at the moment. Jay's the most talented QB out there, and McDaniels is the most talented offensive mind out there.

Together, they could be deadly, and I mean deadly like the league has rarely seen. The problem is that Jay doesn't want to work under McDaniels, or anybody, he liked having Bates whom he could bend to his will.

I understand McDaniels wanting to get Cassel, and I understand Cutler being a little upset. I also understand posturing for more money.

What I don't understand is why Cutler would want to leave Denver.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote