The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

BQ looks ALMOST as good as I do

Default To all of you siding with McD: Krieger: Back up, cool off, hold on to Cutler

He is making the same points that I have been:

1) The orgnaization is at fault for causing this as they allowed their trade inquiries to become public thereby enciting the fragile ego of the QB--basically, if Jay nevers finds out ---this episode never happens
2) Once Jay did find out, McD failed to acknowledge the fact that the Broncos were active in discussions
3) you DO NOT trade franchise Qb's coming off 4500 yarsd and 25 TD entering his THIRD full year of starting---IMHO not unless we get a Herschel Walker type deal--and that ain't happenin'
4) What has Josh McDaniels done that Mangini, Crennell hadn't? --coached a QB who had weapons left over from the previous season that had set a record pace for points and allowed that QB to play well above expectations but well below their previous years totals.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11936913

And now, just to try something completely different, how about a little common sense?

If all the tough guys down at Dove Valley have gotten their ya-yas out, could we take a break from the posturing to examine this thing through the law of supply and demand?

Which is easier to replace, a 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback or a 32-year-old rookie coach?

No contest. There are thousands of football coaches out there who have never won an NFL game, hundreds with an NFL assistant's job on the resume, dozens with a coordinator's job.

At present, there are exactly three 25-year-old quarterbacks with a Pro Bowl on the resume. Eliminate the two who were injury replacements — Vince Young in 2007 and Derek Anderson in 2008 — and there is exactly one. His name is Jay Cutler.

So rather than throw up his hands in resignation as if this ill-advised soap opera is an act of God outside his control, perhaps owner Pat Bowlen should check his Dove Valley ID card. He's in charge. At least, that's what he keeps telling us. So here's a thought: Maybe it's time he acted like it.

He can start with this: Cutler not showing up for voluntary offseason workouts is not a big deal unless the Broncos make it one. If the Broncos can teach Cutler the meaning of the word "employee" by talking about trading him, Cutler can teach the Broncos the meaning of the word "voluntary" by not attending voluntary workouts. If it's a business, it's a business.

It's the Broncos, not Cutler, who elected to take the rah-rah out of it.

Contrary to popular belief, Cutler and Josh McDaniels don't have to love each other. They don't even have to like each other. As George Karl pointed out the other day, he and Kenyon Martin were at war three years ago. Now they're fine. Sometimes, everyone just has to chill.

Cutler is under contract for three more years. He could force the issue by refusing to show for mandatory camps, but he said he doesn't plan to do that.

Being outraged by the spoiled star athlete is more fashionable than usual these days, so feel free to take your shots, but Cutler is also the principal victim of a spate of rookie coaching mistakes.

Even if you have no problem with the merits of Cutler-for- Matt Cassel — and I do — McDaniels' first big boo-boo was not coming clean about it. As recently as Sunday night, he was still claiming "we were contacted multiple times about different scenarios," as if the Broncos were in a purely passive role, just answering the phone.

Earth to Josh: Almost no one believes that. Cutler has information that you approached the Bucs to gauge their interest in a potential three-way deal with the Patriots. The story doesn't make much sense any other way. Why would Tampa Bay approach Denver? What would make Bucs management think the Broncos' Pro Bowl quarterback was available? Why would New England call Tampa Bay to rustle up interest in a three-way deal when the Patriots were clearly happy with the deal they had in place with Kansas City, a deal they ultimately made?

This was the crux of the problem between McDaniels and Cutler. McDaniels was not truthful about his active pursuit of Cassel. By the time he finally admitted to Cutler on Saturday that he wanted Cassel, it was time to turn the page and assure Cutler they could go forward together. Unless, of course, McDaniels actually thinks he can improve upon Cutler with relative ease. If so, Bowlen needs to examine whether his own opinion of Cutler the quarterback has changed as dramatically as his organization's.

Let me just say this: In his first 37 starts, 54 touchdowns and 37 interceptions. And he's just getting the hang of it.

The Broncos' owner is older than his coach and his QB put together. His last chance to retain the guy he calls his "star quarterback" is to take the reins and hold them steady. Let tempers cool. Call the trade attempt and skipping the voluntary workouts a wash. Give everybody a month to settle down.

Just because McDaniels mishandled this episode does not mean the Broncos have to trade their franchise quarterback. Those guys are hard to find.

Dave Krieger: 303-954-5297 or dkrieger@denverpost.com

Last edited by broncofan7; 03-18-2009 at 06:50 AM..
broncofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Kreiger earns some good faith.

Dave, I take back the last time I called you a douche. Keep up the good work and we'll be square in no time!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Jay is innocent, he's the best ever, we can't win without him, I don't mind his whining, how dare mcD answer phone calls, he should tell Jay everything always, where is Bowlen, blah blah blah... just trade his ass and be done with it already.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

I've given up seeing any sanity from this board. Good to see the press is a bit more sane. (now CBF1 and POPPS have to neg-rep me).

I did listen to him on KOA yesterday. He had good points. The bottom line is that McDaniels really is picking the wrong fight here. McDaniels wants to prove he is boss. Going after the one part of the team that works (as opposed to the running game, special teams, and defense) seems a stupid way to go about it.

What we have then are two children bickering, and no adults around to keep them in line. Pat Bowler allowed McDaniels to get rid of the Goodmans, Pat Bowlen and company gave Cutler a excuse to walk away from his commitments by opening the door first. That means they need to do the right thing to fix the situation.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
Jay is innocent, he's the best ever, we can't win without him, I don't mind his whining, how dare mcD answer phone calls, he should tell Jay everything always, where is Bowlen, blah blah blah... just trade his ass and be done with it already.

Star players, QB in particular>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HC, especially one with NO TRACK RECORD AS A HC. This isn't Bill Parcells coming to town telling Jay he needs to 'get with the program'
..this is Josh 'Wade Phillips-I really am a 2 year stop gap until we get a real coach in here' McDaniels
Old 03-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #6
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I agree with Krieger's suggestions in the article.

Cool off and let things settle down.

Cutler will come in and play.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #7
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I agree with Krieger's suggestions in the article.

Cool off and let things settle down.

Cutler will come in and play.
I hope so, but this article completely ignores the agent and the $$$$ influence on the whole situation.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
I hope so, but this article completely ignores the agent and the $$$$ influence on the whole situation.
You're right. It's primary focus is on the cause and not the effect.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #9
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Use existing threads... stop trying to be Mr. Special "I have a new view point on a subject talked to death about!"
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #10
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Good article, thanks for posting it.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #11
outdoor_miner
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Good Lord - It is pretty simple why teams would call Denver about Cassel... It was widely known that McDaniels was Cassel's OC last year! They had great success together! Now McDaniels is the Head Coach of the Denver Broncos. Maybe, just maybe, he would be willing to trade Cutler for Cassel (plus additional compensation). Why is it so shocking that another NFL team would try this angle? From what I have seen, we (the fans) still have no clue as to what really happened. Was McDaniels shopping Cutler, or did he receive an offer that was so good he had to consider?
outdoor_miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

yep, Krieger nails it. I still dont think this situation is completely unfixable. I think the best thing to do is to fly to Tennessee, and sit with Jay until the entire situation is resolved...if that means contract extension, fine.

Second best thing to do is let him sit there, do not trade him, and when he shows up to the mandatory shlt then cool...if not, then that means Cutler lied, he loses his leverage, and the heat shifts over to Cutler. But since he has never shown to be a liar I expect him to be there for all mandatory team functions and hopefully time will heal all wounds.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

This was an excellent read.

Rep goes to Krieger!
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

This is pretty much my position from the word go. Who the hell are we going to bring in thats better than JC? How long will we have to wait for another QB who is anything close to JC quality?

On a side note - anyone consider if we do end up trading JC would we possibly try and deal with KC directly to get Cassell?
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Good article over all but a little too slanted in favor of Cutler. Not only does it ignore the Bus Cook angle but it also ignores the possibility that Jay/Cook asked for a trade before this all went down (after Shanny and Bates left). In addition, it ingores both the possibility that teams DID approach Denver and not the other way around (although I've been skeptical about this from the beginning) and it also leaves out the possibility that Jay isn't just posturing and really does want out.

I want this to work out and for Jay to stay. But Bus Cook is making that a difficult propostion. If he won't let his client sit down with McD and/or the Broncos FO without meddling then I don't see how this ever gets resolved. It's going to take some compromise and right now it doesn't appear either side is willing to do so.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
I've given up seeing any sanity from this board. Good to see the press is a bit more sane. (now CBF1 and POPPS have to neg-rep me).

I did listen to him on KOA yesterday. He had good points. The bottom line is that McDaniels really is picking the wrong fight here. McDaniels wants to prove he is boss. Going after the one part of the team that works (as opposed to the running game, special teams, and defense) seems a stupid way to go about it.

What we have then are two children bickering, and no adults around to keep them in line. Pat Bowler allowed McDaniels to get rid of the Goodmans, Pat Bowlen and company gave Cutler a excuse to walk away from his commitments by opening the door first. That means they need to do the right thing to fix the situation.
Are you ****ing kidding me? McDaniels is picking a fight? By wanting to meet face to face with Cutler? By stating over and over again that "WE ARE NOT TRADING JAY CUTLER"? By wanting an opportunity to talk to Cutler without his snake oil salesman agent in the room? Are you ****ing KIDDING me?

I don't see what "the right thing to fix the situation" would even be at this point. Cutler apparently won't come back to Denver unless he's given the Governor's mansion, a parade in his honor, and his face etched in the gold atop the capital building.

Give me a ****ing break.

Since you know so much about the situation, why don't you tell all of us exactly the things that McDaniels needs to do to fix the situation.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #17
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncofan7 View Post
Star players, QB in particular>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HC, especially one with NO TRACK RECORD AS A HC. This isn't Bill Parcells coming to town telling Jay he needs to 'get with the program'
..this is Josh 'Wade Phillips-I really am a 2 year stop gap until we get a real coach in here' McDaniels
Disagree the QB can get with the program or move along. Nice to see a coach in here finally who won't put up with all the crap thats been tearing the team apart lately. Rod Smith and other vocal leaders gave us insight into the problems before they left and nothing was addressed until Shanahan got fired. I'd rather see a winning team in Denver than standing in awe at half of Jay's games wondering why we are still .500. Speculating on McDaniels coaching is absolutely ridiculous at this point once he cleans house and sets up the system he wants I think he'll have huge success and be the cornerstone of this franchise for a long time.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #18
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Yes McIdiot started all of this. If he just stuck to fixing what was broken the DEFENSE then we would've never been in this whole mess. Now we are looking at drafting QB's in the 1st round instead of the DL. How many of you even thought about drafting a damn QB in the 1st round after the season we just had?

Point proven. Bye!
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

1) The orgnaization is at fault for causing this as they allowed their trade inquiries to become public thereby enciting the fragile ego of the QB--basically, if Jay nevers finds out ---this episode never happens
There is no evidence that I know that this was leaked from the Bronco side. I am not sure how McDaniels is supposed to prevent other teams from talking. If there is a mistake, it is in not getting the trade done before rumors get out.
2) Once Jay did find out, McD failed to acknowledge the fact that the Broncos were active in discussions
Personally, I think McD has handled everything after the initial trade talks extremely professionally, but whatever.
3) you DO NOT trade franchise Qb's coming off 4500 yarsd and 25 TD entering his THIRD full year of starting---IMHO not unless we get a Herschel Walker type deal--and that ain't happenin'
How exactly do you find out if you are getting a Herschel Walker deal if you don't listen? Besides, he didn't trade him so I guess he agrees with you.
4) What has Josh McDaniels done that Mangini, Crennell hadn't? --coached a QB who had weapons left over from the previous season that had set a record pace for points and allowed that QB to play well above expectations but well below their previous years totals.
Josh McDaniels has not accomplished anything in the regular season as a HC. Because he hasn't been there yet. He shouldn't get credit for that, but it shouldn't be held against him either. He will prove himself, or not, this season, and we have already hired him so it doesn't make sense to me to say he hasn't proven himself, if that was an issue we shouldn't have hired him, but once he was hired that argument is meaningless. Either he is the head coach or he isn't.

Overall though I agree with the thought that we shouldn't give up on Jay yet. Personally, I think as long as Jay keeps out of the media for the next month or so and shows up at the minicamp, he will be our starting qb next season, unless a Walker deal does show up.

Last edited by skpac1001; 03-18-2009 at 08:44 AM..
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 AM   #20
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpac1001 View Post
There is no evidence that I know that this was leaked from the Bronco side. I am not sure how McDaniels is supposed to prevent other teams from talking. If there is a mistake, it is in not getting the trade done before rumors get out.
Actually, there is evidence to the contrary. The story broke in the Boston Globe. Gee, who could possibly be behind that?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #21
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tyrone Braxton

I can think of one, two or maybe even three quality coaches who are available.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #22
broncofan7
Ring of Famer

If this is about money only, extend him NOW. I really don't think that it is though. Cutler probably is a petulent child, but he threw for 4500 yards and 25 TD'ss in his 2nd full season as a starter. It's like when you are married to a really good looking woman who happens to have some faults, like being bad with money..you tend to overlook it as long as she looks good. (Does that make me shallow?) He brings too much to the table to not keep him and basically cave into his demands.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #23
Popps
It's so easy

This all rehash of the same ****.

Whether or not it was the staff's fault, the ball is now in Cutler's court. He has to either grow up and do his job, or continue to make himself a distraction. (Demanding a trade.)

Rewarding Cutler for this behavior would have implications that my be insurmountable for the staff/front office. So, if Jay wants to do his job... all he has to do.... is do his job.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:47 AM   #24
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Whether or not it was the staff's fault, the ball is now in Cutler's court. He has to either grow up and do his job, or continue to make himself a distraction. (Demanding a trade.)

Rewarding Cutler for this behavior would have implications that my be insurmountable for the staff/front office. So, if Jay wants to do his job... all he has to do.... is do his job.
Absolutely right. he claims he wants to be here. So be here.

Pretty simple really.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Please explain how the ball is in Cutler's court?

He's expressed his displeasure with the trade rumors and McD lying, and he's formally requested a trade AND said he would show up to all mandatory team activities.

So........ where do you get the ball is in his court?