The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
garandman
Seasoned Veteran

Your in my sights!

Default Cutlers Health Issue

It has been brought up and before today I haven't thought that much about it. I spoke to a friend of mine who happens to be an M.D., specifically works with blood disorders. We got on the subject of the cutler situation and he is very familiar with it.
He said a problem with his diabetes will manifest it self sooner rather than later, and although neither side is talking about it, it could be driving some of the trade talk, and the pursuit of a new contract. He believes as Cutler gets older he will be less able to control his glucose levels when participating in football especially in hot climates. It's kind of an unknown but reality, he may only have a few years left, who knows.

Case in fact, during the pro-bowl it was mentioned Cutler had to check his levels every 30 minutes because of the excessive heat.
More it chew on, not sure we had enough **SARCASM HERE**
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

I've been bringing this up since all this unfolded. I think that Jay's diabetes is a huge -- and undiscussed -- factor in all this. Add in his lifestyle issues, and it becomes even more pronounced.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #3
plummershelper
Light Rail Rumor Monger

I heard on the light rail ...

I agree on both counts above!
plummershelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

sad to hear this.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Well poop on a stick.

UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Maybe it was all staged to get the most for all parties.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I think Broncos smart to watch how Cutler does this yr and next before he is due a 12 mil roster bonus in 3 yrs. Of course now it looks all that may be moot if he leaves. If I was in charge though I would worry about his health. I wouldn't shell out 20 mil guaranteed right now for him.

You know this is a factor in Cook and Cutler trying to get a big new deal from either Broncos or another team. I don't think Cutler expects to be around at 35 plus like Warner, getting another big deal etc.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
thumpc
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Richard Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
Maybe it was all staged to get the most for all parties.
There's a new theory. Unlikely, but a good twist.
thumpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I think Broncos smart to watch how Cutler does this yr and next before he is due a 12 mil roster bonus in 3 yrs. Of course now it looks all that may be moot if he leaves. If I was in charge though I would worry about his health. I wouldn't shell out 20 mil guaranteed right now for him.

You know this is a factor in Cook and Cutler trying to get a big new deal from either Broncos or another team. I don't think Cutler expects to be around at 35 plus like Warner, getting another big deal etc.
I just think McD wants some stability at the QB position. Cutler is an all-pro world beater one week and a head case the next. I like Cutler but think people are blowing him up to be more than he is. Agree his health is probably an issue, that plus his attitude and no way in hell do I give him an overblown extension.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
It has been brought up and before today I haven't thought that much about it. I spoke to a friend of mine who happens to be an M.D., specifically works with blood disorders. We got on the subject of the cutler situation and he is very familiar with it.
He said a problem with his diabetes will manifest it self sooner rather than later, and although neither side is talking about it, it could be driving some of the trade talk, and the pursuit of a new contract. He believes as Cutler gets older he will be less able to control his glucose levels when participating in football especially in hot climates. It's kind of an unknown but reality, he may only have a few years left, who knows.

Case in fact, during the pro-bowl it was mentioned Cutler had to check his levels every 30 minutes because of the excessive heat.
More it chew on, not sure we had enough **SARCASM HERE**
Well that's some SWEET Information!!
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Coming Back Strong in 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Diabetes, if controlled, is a non issue.
Florida_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post

Well with the passage of Stem Cell legislation they're maybe a cure for Type-1 Diabetes in the next couple of years.

http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/scireport/chapter7.asp
Old 03-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
PaintballCLE
INFLITRATE ENEMY LINES

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
Well poop on a stick.

hey, don't diss the corn dog!
PaintballCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
garandman
Seasoned Veteran

Your in my sights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Bronco View Post
With all due respect, "if controlled" is the problem, an average person yes, a non issue. A pro football player is another case, it could be potentially dangerous especially Type I. There really isn't someone that has had to deal with it in football before, except Wade Wilson, who was diagnosed later in his career and was mostly a back-up at the time.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
With all due respect, "if controlled" is the problem, an average person yes, a non issue. A pro football player is another case, it could be potentially dangerous especially Type I. There really isn't someone that has had to deal with it in football before, except Wade Wilson, who was diagnosed later in his career and was mostly a back-up at the time.
There have been number of pro athletics in different sports that have played with it. This is not issue, Cutler has access to best medical staff available and will keep under control. When people throw this stuff out there is no basis of fact to support this argument.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #16
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Well with the passage of Stem Cell legislation they're maybe a cure for Type-1 Diabetes in the next couple of years.

http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/scireport/chapter7.asp
With all due respect we've had stem cell research for years we just didn't have the government pimping folks with money to do it. Anytime the government gets involved its more red tape, bloated and bad. Nothing more will come of this spending other than more spending and the left can feel good about itself.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #17
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
As someone else mentioned, lots of pro athletes (including football players) have played with it.

Again, it's a non issue if Cutler controls it.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #18
garandman
Seasoned Veteran

Your in my sights!

Quote:
As someone else mentioned, lots of pro athletes (including football players) have played with it.

Again, it's a non issue if Cutler controls it.
I will stand corrected, but can anyone here name somebody?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #19
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #20
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Wade Wilson. But he sucks.
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #21
Florida_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quinton Carter

Quote:
I forget his name, but in the 90's there was a safety who played for the Patriots that had diabetes.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #22
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
With all due respect we've had stem cell research for years we just didn't have the government pimping folks with money to do it. Anytime the government gets involved its more red tape, bloated and bad. Nothing more will come of this spending other than more spending and the left can feel good about itself.
Well with all due respect! I gotta disagree with you. I happen to believe that cures for many diseases thru stem cell research can be found. You must have hope. It has nothing to do with right or left political agenda's.

Anyway, diseases don't discriminate with who's left or right.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #23
richpjr
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman View Post
Well with all due respect! I gotta disagree with you. I happen to believe that cures for many diseases thru stem cell research can be found. You must have hope. It has nothing to do with right or left political agenda's.

Anyway, diseases don't discriminate with who's left or right.
While I certainly believe that the good 'ol USA is at the forefront of an awful lot of technology and medical research, there were no limits on stem cell research in a lot of European and Asian countries and it hasn't happened yet.
richpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #24
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
While I certainly believe that the good 'ol USA is at the forefront of an awful lot of technology and medical research, there were no limits on stem cell research in a lot of European and Asian countries and it hasn't happened yet.
I think it will take the contribution and team work around the world of the top scientist, chemist etc all working towards the same goal for finding cures.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #25
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:

True, he should be able to keep it in check well enough to not have any issues with it. The only draw back I see is how often he checks his blood sugar levels. I have been type 1 since 1972, and I HATE checking my blood sugar by using the "alternate" testing sites (alt. sites make you look like you have some skin disease, litltle red spots on your arms, legs, etc. GROSS!). I always use my finger tips, and I'll tell you what, I could probably rob a bank with no gloves and not leave finger prints! The tips of my fingers are are very "peppered" from all the sticks to get a drop of blood. I check probably 6 to 10 times a day, that is a lot of little stabs to the finger tips! I think it will eventually have an effect on his ball control.

I worked construction outside in Texas summers, worked indoors, and I never really had any issues with my sugar levels because of the heat/cold. He should be able to see patterns (maybe it will take some time, but he will see and know how his body reacts).

Example, today I had 2 slices of pizza for lunch. Pizza jacks my sugar up, so I took twice the normal dose of my insulin before I ate it. My sugar was 93, the normal dosage is 3 units, I took 6. After a couple hours, I checked my sugar and it was 145. Had I taken my normal does, I woulda been over 200. I know from past experience eating pizza!

Just think, over the course of a year, if he checks his sugar levels 8 times a day, that is over 2900 little pricks! I heard him say he was checking 10 to 15 times a day during an interview.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote