The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
DeusExManning
Ring of Famer

Default Shannon Sharpe on the FAN

Shannon basically said that McDaniels was completely wrong and Jay is acting the way anybody would act. He said the only mistake that Jay has made is he should have let his agent talk exclusively. Shannon felt the same way when Mike lied to him and it was definitely a motivating factor when he left. The trust with the coach is extremely important especially for a quarterback and what McDaniels did was incredibly stupid mainly because Cassel would have carried a 14 million contract as opposed to Jay's 1 million.
DeusExManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
broncofan2438
Faneco this...

LETS TAKE BACK THE AFC WEST

Adopt-a-Bronco:
ERIC DECKER

Yup....anyone can see that McStupid is the one to blame here
broncofan2438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExShanahan View Post
Shannon basically said that McDaniels was completely wrong and Jay is acting the way anybody would act. He said the only mistake that Jay has made is he should have let his agent talk exclusively. Shannon felt the same way when Mike lied to him and it was definitely a motivating factor when he left. The trust with the coach is extremely important especially for a quarterback and what McDaniels did was incredibly stupid mainly because Cassel would have carried a 14 million contract as opposed to Jay's 1 million.
Wow, a player who believes the same thing happened to him agreeing with the player. I'm shocked. Sharpe was so upset he came back to the Broncos a year later. Phony.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Wow, a player who believes the same thing happened to him agreeing with the player. I'm shocked. Sharpe was so upset he came back to the Broncos a year later. Phony.
Yea.. what a football player possibly know over random posters on message boards! What a nub.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
And then he said, "Never say never, never say never"
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Shannons right, and on top of that a McDaniels type coach is more common than a QB of Cutlers ability.

I support Gruden for Coach.
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Funny... I thought Mike & Mike said this morning (yes, I know they suck, but I was passing thru the room) that Shannon said something exactly the opposite. Something like its time for Cutler to grow up and deal with it.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Funny... I thought Mike & Mike said this morning (yes, I know they suck, but I was passing thru the room) that Shannon said something exactly the opposite. Something like its time for Cutler to grow up and deal with it.
Yep... Shannon is still one of my favorites.. but he does tend to talk out the both sides of his mouth.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
ol number 7
The Champ

Flair for Life

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Craig Morton

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Could you see Cutler playing for Ditka or Parcells ??

And you think he mopes now. WOW
ol number 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
The trust with the coach is extremely important especially for a quarterback and what McDaniels did was incredibly stupid mainly because Cassel would have carried a 14 million contract as opposed to Jay's 1 million.
Shannon is an idiot....and a chick!

Trust? This isn't about trust. Trust doesn't matter at all between coach and QB. I can show you the quotes from the authoritative source, Popps to prove it.

The employee does whatever the dictator says..with his mouth shut....thankful he just has a job.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
Triplelefthook
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

that was a badass interview from Sharpe
Triplelefthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #12
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Of course shannon's gonna side with the player. If he were coaching the broncos or any other team, he'd sing a different tune, IMO.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #13
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Just kinda listening to NFL Radio on Sirius, watching NFL Net, and reading what goes on here, it seems that the majority of Radio and TV personalities have sided with Jay with the expection of where Jay ran to the media. Fans of the Broncos are split on the issue and fans of others teams also siding with Jay. Just a trend I found interesting.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Shannon Sharpe on 104 the Fan...

Paraphrasing as best I can... Sharpe talks fast!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"You had the second worst defense in the NFL... And the new guy comes in and the first thing he wants to get rid of is the pro bowl quarterback... Not trade for Julius peppers. Not bring in Ray lewis... He wants to trade his pro bowl quarterback. That's a problem.

"Why is it when an organization wants to trade a player, it's business... But when a player wants to request a trade he's being disgruntled - he's being a malcontent. You can't have it both ways and say it's a business, and when the player looks out for his own interests, he's a malcontent, disgruntled.

"If I'm Jay Cutler now, I think you have to leave. I don't know either guy. I'm looking at it from this perspective. I've got one of the worst defenses, and my numbers were great - I could have been better, I forced some throws - but with that defense what I had, I didn't get many turnover... I never played on a short field.

"I don't want to speak for Mr. Bowlen. I don't know if he really signed on with this. You mean to tell me that with Bowlen on the hook for $21 million for Mike Shanahan and his staff... You mean to tell me that they've got the kind of money that they can entertain a trade for a $14 million dollar back up quarterback!? If I'm Mike, I"m mad, because there are some defensive players that I could have had with that kind of money, but I couldn't get them!

"You know that Josh had to have had the blessing of the owner on this. Right now, good bad or indifferent, Jay was the face of this organization. Josh McDaniels comes in with the worst defense in football. He doesn't have one guy - he can trade one guy on that defense, Champ Bailey. And the first thing he wants to do is trade the quarterback!? But that's business. But now Jay Cutler says, "OK I want out." And he's being disgruntled!?

"There are some bridges you cross, there are some bridges you burn. This one is burnt. You can't cross back over it. You got to trade him now.

"Can he go to the meetings and stuff... No nononononono. Because then you give him the impression that he won, but you didn't win because I want out. I went through the same thing when Mike tried to trade me in 95. I never trusted Mike again until I got back around the second time around. I understood that Mike just wanted to make his team better by getting rid of me. But I had the last laugh.

"I can't believe that Josh McDaniels would do this... He's a probowl quarterback at 25!"

"See here's the thing. Josh McDaniels lied. You can't start a relationship with a lie, because you have to compound it and constantly lie. He should have admitted it right off the bat. Don't say nobody entertained it. Do you think somebody would call Pittsburgh, New England, Indy, New Orleans, San Diego? They wouldn't even make that call! So you mean to tell me that these teams are going to call out of the blue? No! THEY initiated the trade, and instead of admitting they did, they lie and lie and lie and lie and lie... I wouldn't have called him back either.

If I'm Jay Cutler, I say, I'm going to do you one better. I know you tried to trade me. I'm going to help you get what you wanted.

And don't worry about trading him in the AFC. You've got Bill Bilicheck - he thought so little of Drew Bledsoe that he traded him to the Bills - IN HIS DIVISION! You think so little of Jay Cutler, trade him to anyone. There are plenty of teams in the AFC who will take Jay Cutler on. Don't worry about "I can't trade him in the AFC." You didn't think he could play.

Jay should have let Bus do all the talking, and not talk to the media. Just let Bus come off as the bad guy. Tell Bus, I'm not going back. Make it happen. I'm not going back.

The way I would have handled the situation - If I'm your guy - you love me - Alfred you know how we handle this - give me one of them Roethlisberger quarterback extensions. If you want to make me happy, give me one of them $30 million dollar quarterback guarantees, and I'll think you want me. Other than that, you're looking at (?)

Because the general rule of thumb, he's going to do it again. You know that, Jay Cutler knows that, Josh McDaniels knows Jay Cutler knows that. He's got to go.

And I can't believe Pat Bowlen is letting this 32 year old guy come in and - He knows how long he waited for the moment to get a quarterback to replace #7 - and I'm not saying that he did that. But as far as mobility, as far as arm strength, this guy is the closest thing - and he had him! In ten years he had him! And you allow this guy...

Now last time I checked, all of Bill Bilicheck's assistants have been HORRIBLE! As head coaches, and I'm not saying this guy will be, but they've all been HORRIBLE! And he allowed this guy to do that! This was one of the most stable - granted this team has had it's ebbs and flows, but it's been stable - The DENVER BRONCOS. An now low and behold you spend your entire offseason haggling over this.

I just can't believe this. I want the Broncos win more than anything. I didn't play with one player but Ben Hamilton on that team now. But I want to see them do well. But this guy to upset the cart like he has, I don't think he needed to do that. I mean, Matt Cassel no matter what was going to make $14 million dollars - no matter what. If I'm Mike Shanahan, I'm like HOLD ON!? You mean to tell me that you want to take this guy with one year experience and pay him that kind of money?

Alfred Williams: I've talked to the fellas. I talk to a lot of the fellas. And I haven't heard one guy - not one guy who thinks Jay Cutler is wrong here. Not one guy.

Sharpe: Here's the problem, Josh McDaniels is the quarterbacks coach. So If I'm Jay Cutler, I have to look at this guy every single day KNOWING that this guy stabbed me in the back - he lied to me. This relationship isn't going to work. I think Mr. Bowlen is resigned to the fact that they're going to lose Jay Cutler. But I'm trying to figure out when was a quarterback traded in his prime. Look at Peyton Manning's record his first three years. What was Troy's record his first three years. Don't tell me about his record the first three years.

I know what we've got with this guy. He's got stats among stats. And he played behind a horrible defense that never got turnovers, never gave him a short field.

Alfred: Sharpie, tell me, can they fire Josh McDaniels right now.

Sharpe: Bowlen got the guy he wanted. But this didn't have to happen. I just don't think...

Alfred: Bring back Mike Shanahan.

Sharpe: I just think Mr. Bowlen is going to have to ride this out. When Josh McDaniels even broached the subject, Bowlen should have put his foot down and said "now look here, you're the man, but don't you evereverevereverever come to me with that crap again."

Jay Cutler is one of the few guys who can make every throw on the field. I work with Dan Marino, and he tells me "man, that kid can spin the ball." and what he means by that "that kid can flat out throw the ball." He doesn't say that - HE DOESN"T SAY THAT about a whole lot of people. This kid can throw the football. You give this kid a defense where he doesn't feel like he has to force the football and throw a touchdown on every play, and you've got a 30+ touchdown guy a season. And he did that with 8 runningbacks, and some of those runningbacks he had - they had no business!

Last edited by Taco John; 03-17-2009 at 01:23 PM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan4life View Post
Just kinda listening to NFL Radio on Sirius, watching NFL Net, and reading what goes on here, it seems that the majority of Radio and TV personalities have sided with Jay with the expection of where Jay ran to the media. Fans of the Broncos are split on the issue and fans of others teams also siding with Jay. Just a trend I found interesting.
I've found the opposite. There have been plenty of articles talking about how Jay has no leverage and needs to grow up.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #16
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I was wondering how long it would take for the ledge jumpers to post this.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #17
BroncoFiend
Ring of Famer

The enemy's gate is down

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post
Shannons right, and on top of that a McDaniels type coach is more common than a QB of Cutlers ability.

You do know how quickly and often Gruden goes through players right? He alienates players with the best of them.
BroncoFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #18
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

I root for laundry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Shannon also said:

"Jay Cutler, you are the quarterback of the Denver Broncos. Whether or not you almost got traded, the best thing is to come in, work out, learn the system and move forward," says Sharpe, now a CBS analyst.

and...

"Time can eventually heal this," Sharpe says.
"Jay's going to have to get over it. … If Jay thought he was the savior in Denver, that he was beyond getting traded, it was a harsh reality check for him. The thing that makes great players great is they can get over disappointment faster than a normal guy."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...e-cutler_N.htm
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #19
Popps
It's so easy

Wow, I didn't know Shannon was in the room when the negotiations went down.

That's weird, because the two parties didn't mention him. So, I'm not sure how Shannon knows what was said.

But, Shannon is entitled to his opinion. He certainly handled his situation like a man. Too bad Cutler won't do the same.

Again, no matter who is "right" here, Jay has a contract and he's telling all of you fans to go **** yourselves because his ego wasn't stroked enough... and/or because he wants to put a gun to the club's head for more $$.

Again, the door is open. All Jay has to do is show up. But, he doesn't want to be here.

You folks have fun chasing him around like scorned boyfriends.

The rest of us will move into the future and root for a QB who is man enough to honor his contract, and wants to be a Denver Bronco.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #20
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

But it won't help the McDummy name calling to post everything Sharpe has said. He made very valid points against McDaniels and he has also made very valid points about Cutler
Old 03-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #21
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

I think it's true and ironic that when the team wants to get rid of your pro bowl qb (when all our issues are on defense), it's "business," but then Jay wants to look out for himself, because he is making less than our backup qb, and knows he could be traded at any time, and wants some security.. he is 'disgruntled.'
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #22
Popps
It's so easy

[QUOTE=RunSilentRunDeep;2338959]Shannon also said:

"Jay Cutler, you are the quarterback of the Denver Broncos. Whether or not you almost got traded, the best thing is to come in, work out, learn the system and move forward," says Sharpe, now a CBS analyst.

and...

"Time can eventually heal this," Sharpe says.
"Jay's going to have to get over it. If Jay thought he was the savior in Denver, that he was beyond getting traded, it was a harsh reality check for him. The thing that makes great players great is they can get over disappointment faster than a normal guy."

No no, see... all that matters is who called who a doo-doo face first, and it was McSatan. He called our Jay a doo-doo head first, and so Jay SHOULD sh*t all over his teammates and fans.

You just don't get it.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

In case people missed it, I tried to transcribe this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Paraphrasing as best I can... Sharpe talks fast!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"You had the second worst defense in the NFL... And the new guy comes in and the first thing he wants to get rid of is the pro bowl quarterback... Not trade for Julius peppers. Not bring in Ray lewis... He wants to trade his pro bowl quarterback. That's a problem.

"Why is it when an organization wants to trade a player, it's business... But when a player wants to request a trade he's being disgruntled - he's being a malcontent. You can't have it both ways and say it's a business, and when the player looks out for his own interests, he's a malcontent, disgruntled.

"If I'm Jay Cutler now, I think you have to leave. I don't know either guy. I'm looking at it from this perspective. I've got one of the worst defenses, and my numbers were great - I could have been better, I forced some throws - but with that defense what I had, I didn't get many turnover... I never played on a short field.

"I don't want to speak for Mr. Bowlen. I don't know if he really signed on with this. You mean to tell me that with Bowlen on the hook for $21 million for Mike Shanahan and his staff... You mean to tell me that they've got the kind of money that they can entertain a trade for a $14 million dollar back up quarterback!? If I'm Mike, I"m mad, because there are some defensive players that I could have had with that kind of money, but I couldn't get them!

"You know that Josh had to have had the blessing of the owner on this. Right now, good bad or indifferent, Jay was the face of this organization. Josh McDaniels comes in with the worst defense in football. He doesn't have one guy - he can trade one guy on that defense, Champ Bailey. And the first thing he wants to do is trade the quarterback!? But that's business. But now Jay Cutler says, "OK I want out." And he's being disgruntled!?

"There are some bridges you cross, there are some bridges you burn. This one is burnt. You can't cross back over it. You got to trade him now.

"Can he go to the meetings and stuff... No nononononono. Because then you give him the impression that he won, but you didn't win because I want out. I went through the same thing when Mike tried to trade me in 95. I never trusted Mike again until I got back around the second time around. I understood that Mike just wanted to make his team better by getting rid of me. But I had the last laugh.

"I can't believe that Josh McDaniels would do this... He's a probowl quarterback at 25!"

"See here's the thing. Josh McDaniels lied. You can't start a relationship with a lie, because you have to compound it and constantly lie. He should have admitted it right off the bat. Don't say nobody entertained it. Do you think somebody would call Pittsburgh, New England, Indy, New Orleans, San Diego? They wouldn't even make that call! So you mean to tell me that these teams are going to call out of the blue? No! THEY initiated the trade, and instead of admitting they did, they lie and lie and lie and lie and lie... I wouldn't have called him back either.

If I'm Jay Cutler, I say, I'm going to do you one better. I know you tried to trade me. I'm going to help you get what you wanted.

And don't worry about trading him in the AFC. You've got Bill Bilicheck - he thought so little of Drew Bledsoe that he traded him to the Bills - IN HIS DIVISION! You think so little of Jay Cutler, trade him to anyone. There are plenty of teams in the AFC who will take Jay Cutler on. Don't worry about "I can't trade him in the AFC." You didn't think he could play.

Jay should have let Bus do all the talking, and not talk to the media. Just let Bus come off as the bad guy. Tell Bus, I'm not going back. Make it happen. I'm not going back.

The way I would have handled the situation - If I'm your guy - you love me - Alfred you know how we handle this - give me one of them Roethlisberger quarterback extensions. If you want to make me happy, give me one of them $30 million dollar quarterback guarantees, and I'll think you want me. Other than that, you're looking at (?)

Because the general rule of thumb, he's going to do it again. You know that, Jay Cutler knows that, Josh McDaniels knows Jay Cutler knows that. He's got to go.

And I can't believe Pat Bowlen is letting this 32 year old guy come in and - He knows how long he waited for the moment to get a quarterback to replace #7 - and I'm not saying that he did that. But as far as mobility, as far as arm strength, this guy is the closest thing - and he had him! In ten years he had him! And you allow this guy...

Now last time I checked, all of Bill Bilicheck's assistants have been HORRIBLE! As head coaches, and I'm not saying this guy will be, but they've all been HORRIBLE! And he allowed this guy to do that! This was one of the most stable - granted this team has had it's ebbs and flows, but it's been stable - The DENVER BRONCOS. An now low and behold you spend your entire offseason haggling over this.

I just can't believe this. I want the Broncos win more than anything. I didn't play with one player but Ben Hamilton on that team now. But I want to see them do well. But this guy to upset the cart like he has, I don't think he needed to do that. I mean, Matt Cassel no matter what was going to make $14 million dollars - no matter what. If I'm Mike Shanahan, I'm like HOLD ON!? You mean to tell me that you want to take this guy with one year experience and pay him that kind of money?

Alfred Williams: I've talked to the fellas. I talk to a lot of the fellas. And I haven't heard one guy - not one guy who thinks Jay Cutler is wrong here. Not one guy.

Sharpe: Here's the problem, Josh McDaniels is the quarterbacks coach. So If I'm Jay Cutler, I have to look at this guy every single day KNOWING that this guy stabbed me in the back - he lied to me. This relationship isn't going to work. I think Mr. Bowlen is resigned to the fact that they're going to lose Jay Cutler. But I'm trying to figure out when was a quarterback traded in his prime. Look at Peyton Manning's record his first three years. What was Troy's record his first three years. Don't tell me about his record the first three years.

I know what we've got with this guy. He's got stats among stats. And he played behind a horrible defense that never got turnovers, never gave him a short field.

Alfred: Sharpie, tell me, can they fire Josh McDaniels right now.

Sharpe: Bowlen got the guy he wanted. But this didn't have to happen. I just don't think...

Alfred: Bring back Mike Shanahan.

Sharpe: I just think Mr. Bowlen is going to have to ride this out. When Josh McDaniels even broached the subject, Bowlen should have put his foot down and said "now look here, you're the man, but don't you evereverevereverever come to me with that crap again."

Jay Cutler is one of the few guys who can make every throw on the field. I work with Dan Marino, and he tells me "man, that kid can spin the ball." and what he means by that "that kid can flat out throw the ball." He doesn't say that - HE DOESN"T SAY THAT about a whole lot of people. This kid can throw the football. You give this kid a defense where he doesn't feel like he has to force the football and throw a touchdown on every play, and you've got a 30+ touchdown guy a season. And he did that with 8 runningbacks, and some of those runningbacks he had - they had no business!
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #24
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornBronco View Post

you are supporting Gruden yet railing against McDaniels. Players openly and publicly hate him. You lose your argument when you pull for Gruden. He has little patience with QB's.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #25
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

So he is just covering his own ass by agreeing with both sides.

Perfect.
GreatBronco16 is online now   Reply With Quote