The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy
 
mr007's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,096

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default Separating Fact from Ideas - damn another Cutler thread

Yeah I felt the need to add another thread on the topic since it seems to be the thing to do. This is a summary of the situation in my eyes and I feel each side is justified in the way they are acting, but there are many things on a business level that would have prevented things from escalating the way they did.

FACT: McDaniels came on board and had "good" initial discussions with Cutler and the excitement about what he'd bring to the offense. Both sides indicated these discussions went well and both sides indicated they couldn't wait to start working together on this new offense. McDaniels and Cutler both indicate the importance of trust between the two and this looks like a good beginning to the relationship.

FACT: In the opening press conference, McDaniels indicated he would be running the offense and personnel decisions would be going up to the Goodman's. He indicated he would be working with the Goodman's on future draft choices, but final decision making would be up to them.

FACT: With no apparent reasoning, the Goodman's are relieved of duty, approximately 1-2 weeks after the initial press conference in which McDaniels stated he would be working closely with them on personnel decisions.

FACT: With no publicly known reason, McDaniels brings in long snapper Lonnie Paxton and makes him the 2nd highest paid long snapper in the NFL.

Opinion: There was no obvious reason to replace Mike Leach. Making such a move undermines value of locker room cohesiveness and places unnecessary thoughts about open competition between players and good ole boy replacements.

FACT: There is some sort of attempt to trade Cutler for Matt Cassel.

Opinion: The lack of communication between the FO and Jay/Bus regarding the public leak of this trade is disheartening at best. Regardless of what your true intention is in a situation like this, it is best to do everything to control the potential ramifications ASAP. The FO should have done everything it could to make sure Jay was as comfortable as possible regardless of their true intentions. It's simple business... keep those who are still working for you happy if they are doing a good job and keep your true intentions on the back end and as under wraps as possible to prevent potential backlash.

FACT: Communication between both sides continues to cause the situation to deteriorate.

McDaniels stated that he did attempt to make a trade for Matt, he wasn't sorry about it, and he could still entertain the idea of trading Jay for the betterment of the team.

Bowlen was not present for this meeting, to which Cutler states if he wanted to talk to him, why wasn't he present.

Attempts to reach Jay 1on1 for the previous 2 weeks were unsuccessful, as Jay would only speak through his agent.

Cutler re-iterates McDaniels request for trust between the two and questions how he can trust him again.

Cutler puts his extra house on the market.

Opinion: To me, the issues here are pretty obvious, and the situation could have been resolved relatively painlessly if EITHER side acted with a bit more maturity and intelligence. Jay is obviously butthurt. He lost a coach and OC he got along with very well. Early indications with McD were promising only to be back stabbed (in his perspective) multiple times. Once with the trade offer itself, and secondly because his ego isn't being stroked by the FO with a resounding commitment to him as the leader of the team and no trade being considered. McD has his own issues, either in the way of maturity, or his own ego as well. The fact is he could have smoothed the situation over with simple words regardless of the intention of the FO. He could have stroked Jay's ego, renewed his commitment to the QB, laughed things off, etc even if there was still an opening for a potential trade. Again, it's simple business... you don't want all your cards out on the table especially when it can unnecessarily alienate your star QB, cause discord in the locker room, all for something that may or may not materialize.

Jay is 25 years old. Yes, he should man up and realize the business part of the situation, know that he could be traded, shrug it off, and show up and prove McD and whoever else wrong. He is also young and apparently emotionally volatile. I'm not sure I was much different at 25, typically maturity is something you gain with age, as I hope Jay does.

McD and the FO should know better. They are being brutally honest with Jay when it's completely unnecessary. What harm is there in stroking someone's ego (even if you have other intentions) in case nothing materilizes from the intentions? The answer: Nothing. McD and the rest of the FO should be smart enough to realize this and I find it personally unsettling that they quite apparently don't.

Again, you can take sides all you want, the truth is, both sides are at fault and subtle differences in the handling of the situation could have completely averted what is presently happening. I place a little more on the FO simply because they should have the maturity and experience necessary to avoid exactly what's goin on.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
garandman
Seasoned Veteran
 
Your in my sights!

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 343
Default

Bravo, Sir. Very well written and I could not agree more..




FACT: In the opening press conference, McDaniels indicated he would be running the offense and personnel decisions would be going up to the Goodman's. He indicated he would be working with the Goodman's on future draft choices, but final decision making would be up to them.

FACT: With no apparent reasoning, the Goodman's are relieved of duty, approximately 1-2 weeks after the initial press conference in which McDaniels stated he would be working closely with them on personnel decisions.

That is when I knew something was wrong here, How did McDaniels become quasi GM/Coach overnight
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I agree both sides are at fault, but Cutler hasn't shown to me he's really that interested in being a Bronco since Cook has gotten into his ear.

You are actually upset about the long snapper position? Too much time on your hands. Were you the president of the Mike Leach fan club or something? Paxton has been considered, whether true or not, one of the best at that spot for awhile now, so Leach wasn't replaced by some no name stiff who happened to be a Patriot.

Of this were the case, we'd see a lot of former Pats on the team, so has that happened?

Besides, most coaches being in their own players that they know, especially to a team that hasn't been winning lately.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy
 
mr007's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,096

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post

You are actually upset about the long snapper position? Too much time on your hands. Were you the president of the Mike Leach fan club or something? Paxton has been considered, whether true or not, one of the best at that spot for awhile now, so Leach wasn't replaced by some no name stiff who happened to be a Patriot.

Of this were the case, we'd see a lot of former Pats on the team, so has that happened?

Besides, most coaches being in their own players that they know, especially to a team that hasn't been winning lately.
I'm not upset about the LS position, I was just pointing it out as it pertains to this topic. Mike Leach was well liked in the locker room and I believe the concerns stated are valid.

McD has brought in others of his own, but that's not the point of this post so I'll leave that alone.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

not a bad thread imo...

I just want to say one thing, I have backed off this situation so far, but why does everyone say that Jay should "shut up and realize this is a business?"

what "business" decision comes into play when you try and trade your franchise qb who is still on a rookie contract and has no injury history, for a career backup?

If that is business, than maybe mcd should go work for aig.

The truth is: It IS personal. Jay has every right to view it this way. there is nothing more personal than bringing in a friend to take "your" job.

I am sick of people saying things are just business and not personal....Was what Madoff did personal or business?

Business would be trading Jay for a better qb. Or releaseing him if his cap number was off the charts!

Why does everyone miss this point. This has NOTHING to do with business! IS Cutler 40 years old? is he injured? is he a cap casualty?

N. O.

but, trying to bring in your butt buddy cause he makes your vag tingle, that my friends is as personal as it gets.

I have not taken a side on this issue, but I am leaning towards siding with Jay because, my god he does have a point.

He tells the truth regardless of the personal accusations he may incur, and he takes this situation personal, as any red blooded MAN would and SHOULD.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
DrFate
Lord of Order
 
DrFate's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tower of Fate
Posts: 4,255
Default

Is a nice take. My problem remains I have no faith in a head coach (or a front office) who wants to replace Cutler with a lifetime backup. Sure Cassel had a nice season last year - but it is a significant downgrade at a position of some importance.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"
 
WolfpackGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delaware
Posts: 6,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
Is a nice take. My problem remains I have no faith in a head coach (or a front office) who wants to replace Cutler with a lifetime backup. Sure Cassel had a nice season last year - but it is a significant downgrade at a position of some importance.
Amen, Brother Noopsie!
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post
I'm not upset about the LS position, I was just pointing it out as it pertains to this topic. Mike Leach was well liked in the locker room and I believe the concerns stated are valid.

McD has brought in others of his own, but that's not the point of this post so I'll leave that alone.
Again, name a coach who comes to a team that isn't winning and decided to keep the roster basically intact? Some try with Tomlin with the Steelers, but they were losing when he came on board? Didn't they just win the Super Bowl the year before? I could see people upset a coach would dismantle such a team, but .500 type teams in a weak division no less?
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
garandman
Seasoned Veteran
 
Your in my sights!

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Again, name a coach who comes to a team that isn't winning and decided to keep the roster basically intact? Some try with Tomlin with the Steelers, but they were losing when he came on board? Didn't they just win the Super Bowl the year before? I could see people upset a coach would dismantle such a team, but .500 type teams in a weak division no less?
Name a coach that comes to a team that is not winning and runs there best player at the most important position out of town within two months of being hired and BTW has never coached a game in his life....
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy
 
mr007's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,096

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Again, name a coach who comes to a team that isn't winning and decided to keep the roster basically intact? Some try with Tomlin with the Steelers, but they were losing when he came on board? Didn't they just win the Super Bowl the year before? I could see people upset a coach would dismantle such a team, but .500 type teams in a weak division no less?
Again, this is off topic and not relevant to the conversation, I didn't argue with you there. Read my previous statement, I only pointed it out as it was valid to the conversation.
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Name a coach that comes to a team that is not winning and runs there best player at the most important position out of town within two months of being hired and BTW has never coached a game in his life....
McDaniels hasn't run anyone out of town. Cutler has decided this for himself.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Solipsism
Posts: 2,896

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?
Default

Such a compelling argument given all the quotes and citations throughout.

You can't paraphrase or summarize a "Fact."
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

To me, it's pretty simple. Jay doesn't want to be here without a massive contract guarantee, and even then... I'm not sure.

He and his agent are just using whatever method they can to ensure that's the case.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy
 
mr007's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,096

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
Such a compelling argument given all the quotes and citations throughout.

You can't paraphrase or summarize a "Fact."
Is that an attempt at sarcasm?
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
DrFate
Lord of Order
 
DrFate's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tower of Fate
Posts: 4,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
McDaniels hasn't run anyone out of town. Cutler has decided this for himself.
I simply don't agree with that. The Three Stooges (McDaniels/Xanders/Bowlen) tried to send him out of town for freakin' Cassel. That failed.

Cutler feels lied to and wants some assurance that he's in the future plans.

Is he taking advantage looking for a new deal? Sure. Is that low-down? Make your own decisions.

But this entire fiasco started when McSparky wanted to replace Cutler with Cassel after initially telling Cutler 'you are the guy'.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #16
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
I simply don't agree with that. The Three Stooges (McDaniels/Xanders/Bowlen) tried to send him out of town for freakin' Cassel. That failed.

Cutler feels lied to and wants some assurance that he's in the future plans.

Is he taking advantage looking for a new deal? Sure. Is that low-down? Make your own decisions.

But this entire fiasco started when McSparky wanted to replace Cutler with Cassel after initially telling Cutler 'you are the guy'.
Oh bull****! If they really wanted Cassell that badly as people think, he'd be a Bronco. Not like the Chiefs' offer would have been hard to top.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
DrFate
Lord of Order
 
DrFate's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tower of Fate
Posts: 4,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Oh bull****! If they really wanted Cassell that badly as people think, he'd be a Bronco.
*Shrugs*

Conclude what you wish. The McDaniels apologists ignore all the reports. After the fallout from this past weekend, I' put money on it.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #18
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,619

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFate View Post
*Shrugs*

Conclude what you wish. The McDaniels apologists ignore all the reports. After the fallout from this past weekend, I' put money on it.
And the Cutler kissasses ignore the reports they don't want to believe and instead, believe any and everything coming out of Cutler and his agents' mouth.

"Even though I wasn't going to report to a mandatory meeting and wouldn't talk to the coach or the owner for 2 weeks, I was ready to put things behind us, but the coach antagonized me." Boo hoo. Either this guy is a liar or a limp-wristed b****. People supporting such a player's actions shows why players do this typs of stuff knowing they will buy it. You think Cutler gives a crap of your support? Please. As long as public sentiment helps get him what he wants, that's what's at play here.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #19
DrFate
Lord of Order
 
DrFate's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Tower of Fate
Posts: 4,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
And the Cutler kissasses ignore the reports they don't want to believe and instead, believe any and everything coming out of Cutler and his agents' mouth.
I'm supporting the team, not Cutler. This first time HC has fouled up royally and isn't man enough to admit it. Try reading some of the nfl.com articles by Solomon Wilcots and others.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #20
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Solipsism
Posts: 2,896

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr007 View Post
Is that an attempt at sarcasm?
No. Your argument is specious. It wouldn't convince anyone who isn't already with you.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #21
mr007
I'm not your buddy, guy
 
mr007's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,096

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
No. Your argument is specious. It wouldn't convince anyone who isn't already with you.
It's specious? How do you figure? Feel free to argue anything I've marked as FACT, here are the supporting links. Thanks for the neg rep, douche.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3983805 (conversation between McD and Cutler, admittance of trade attempt, lack of Bowlen presence, communication deterioration, factual)

http://www.rotowire.com/football/player.htm?ID=4114 (Lonnie Paxton LS to Broncos, factual)

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/18926235/detail.html
(Cutler puts his house on sale, factual)

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...hiring-new-gm/ (Jim will have final say in personnel differences, factual)

http://www.denverpost.com/sportsheadlines/ci_11691214 (Goodmans fired, factual)
mr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #22
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,445
Default

Are you actually McDaniels barryr? Why do you have so much faith and trust in a completely unproven 'head coach' that hasn't done ONE THING for this team, other than cause disarray, and poorly mismanage personnel affairs so far? He hasn't won a single game for the Broncos. Cutler HAS.

I'm sorry that you are utterly blind to the fact that he is trying to get into a comfort zone. He is trying to turn the Denver Broncos INTO the NE Patriots. I don't want the damned patriots, I want my team, the Broncos.

There was NO reason to get rid of our snapper. You say "who cares, he is just a snapper," completely oblivious to the fact that in the locker room, cohesiveness and chemistry and TRUST is very important. How secure are you going to feel on a team knowing that your level of play means NOTHING at all. You can be an all pro, but it won't matter, because the head coach and apparently dictator of the team now, may get a hardon for one of his old players.

Getting rid of Cutler was STUPID! OP is completely correct in saying that if the front office REALLY wanted Cutler, they could have gotten him back. Even if you do have to sign a new contract. I mean hell, our probowl QB is making less than our BACKUP at this point. They should pony up, smooth it over, and get Cutler back into the team.

Because without him, we are going to be CRAP for years. It's bad enough when a team is basically rebuilt. It's going to be much worse when we have some random scrub for a QB.

You can continue to be delusional, and assume that it's Cutler's fault, nor out pathetic, anemic defense, for our woes the last few years. Even though he set records and threw for over 4k yards, and ended up in the Pro Bowl, because his peers understand how good he is. No.. it's gotta be him, not a defense that had a WHOPPING 6 interceptions lat year.

Guess when you force plays? When you are in a hole. How often were we in a hole last year? All the damned time. Opponents starting near midfield, our D unable to ever get the ball, we were constantly playing from behind, playing catchup, and Jay had to try to make something happen. I hightly doubt people like you have even watched every damn game, when you come up with such ridiculous theories about our QB.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #23
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
No. Your argument is specious. It wouldn't convince anyone who isn't already with you.

Specious means making an argument attractive in a deceptive way.

He is not doing this at all.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #24
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Kingdom of Solipsism
Posts: 2,896

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblueblooded View Post
Specious means making an argument attractive in a deceptive way.

He is not doing this at all.
I was going more with "has the ring of truth, but false" definition." Paraphrasing facts rather than using quotes certainly changes the presentation of his argument, no?
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #25
OABB
sarcasm font
 
OABB's Avatar
 
always on.

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 7,341

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
I was going more with "has the ring of truth, but false" definition." Paraphrasing facts rather than using quotes certainly changes the presentation of his argument, no?
no.

a specious argument has no truth whatsoever.

but lets not argue over semantics, that makes me feel like an english major dork.

it is a good thread for a fan forum site that is currently filled "let's trade cutler for 10 1sts and peyton manning" type crap and credit card hippies salivating over crappy music...

so let's enjoy it, no?
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Denver Broncos