The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
meangene
Ring of Famer

Default Vic Carruci article on Cutler: Square Peg in a Round Hole in McD's Offense

Mode of transportation to take Cutler out of Denver? Bus
Vic Carucci By Vic Carucci | NFL.com
Senior Columnist

There is no way for Jay Cutler to reconcile his differences with the Denver Broncos.

The damage to his relationship with the team is beyond repair. He knows it. Josh McDaniels, his main protagonist, knows it. Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and other members of the team's hierarchy know it, too.
Where will he land?

Here are some teams, listed in alphabetical order, that might be interested in trading for Jay Cutler:

Chicago Bears: They can't really believe they're solid with Kyle Orton.

Cleveland Browns: They're not convinced that Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson is the answer.

Detroit Lions: They have the top overall pick in the draft, as well as the 20th overall choice, and their starting quarterback job is in the shaky hands of Daunte Culpepper.

Minnesota Vikings: They reportedly showed interested in Cutler, even after acquiring Sage Rosenfels from the Houston Texans.

New York Jets: Agent Bus Cook delivered Brett Favre to them last year. Does he do it again with Cutler?

San Francisco 49ers: They claim they're going with Shaun Hill as their starter, but could do so much better.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: They don't have a legitimate starter.

Cutler wants out. Although the Broncos publicly maintain they're not yet at the point of granting his wish, it seems as if the time will eventually come (perhaps within the next month) when they ship the Pro Bowl quarterback to another team.

It is the only solution to a drama that has dominated NFL offseason discussion in a way that rivals last year's soap opera starring Brett Favre.

And it is hardly a coincidence that the situations have a common thread: Bus Cook, who was Favre's agent, also represents Cutler. When Favre reached a point where he no longer could work with Packers general manager Ted Thompson, Cook did his part to pry his unhappy client out of Green Bay and worked out a trade that resulted in the regrettable season that Favre spent with the New York Jets in 2008.

Cook is the same agent who was involved with the acrimonious relationship between yet another quarterback, Steve McNair, and the Tennessee Titans -- so acrimonious that the Titans banned McNair from working out at their facility during the offseason -- that resulted in his finishing his career with the Baltimore Ravens. And Cook is the same agent who was involved with the battle that receiver Randy Moss had with the Oakland Raiders before he wound up with the New England Patriots.

I am having serious doubts that this entire Cutler mess stems from his outrage over the fact McDaniels engaged in discussions with his former employer, the Patriots, for a possible three-way trade that would have sent Matt Cassel to Denver and Cutler elsewhere.

I'm convinced it began after Bowlen fired coach Mike Shanahan and also parted ways with offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates. After that, Cutler realized he no longer had anyone who believed in him as the Broncos' starter, who appreciated his gunslinger-style skills and would design a playbook and call plays that would take full advantage of them.

He certainly didn't see McDaniels as that person. Nor should he have. As offensive coordinator of the Patriots, McDaniels ran a scheme that had no room for the type of high-risk passing that is the hallmark of Cutler's game. Cutler and his good friend, Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler (another Cook client), took a close look at the type of offense the Patriots ran under McDaniels.

It didn't take long for them to reach the same conclusion: "This isn't what we do."

McDaniels didn't see Cutler as a good fit, either, which was why he did the logical thing and entertained an overture from the Patriots that would have reunited him with the backup quarterback he helped turn into a star after Tom Brady's season-ending knee injury last year.

McDaniels was hired, in large part, for his offensive vision. He was hired for the ideas that played a role in allowing Brady to have the off-the-charts season he had in 2007 and Cassel to cash in a spectacular season for a minimum payoff of $14.65 million and a starting job with the Kansas City Chiefs.

McDaniels knows exactly the type of quarterback he needs at the controls of his system -- someone who will stay within himself, who will be methodical and precise, who will allow big plays to unfold within the structure of the offense rather than gambling that he can squeeze the ball between defenders or simply throw it to a spot too far down the field for anyone to get to except his receiver.

The quarterback McDaniels needs is not Cutler and will never be Cutler. And Cutler is every bit as aware of this square-peg-in-a-round-hole dynamic as McDaniels.

Cutler is not looking to find some sort of common ground so that he and McDaniels can work together, because it doesn't exist. He and Cook will do everything they can to apply as much pressure as possible on the 32-year-old, first-year coach until they get what they want -- a one-way ticket out of Denver.

Despite what he might say publicly, McDaniels is going to comply -- but on his terms. Before he boots a quarterback with three years left on his contract out the door, he has to make sure he can bring in one who is right for his program. The Cleveland Browns just might be able to accommodate him; their new coach, Eric Mangini, doesn't seem very keen on keeping Brady Quinn around.

Meanwhile, McDaniels is going to at least try to create the perception that he has everything under control -- that no one, including Cutler or Cook, is going to stand in the way of getting his program off the ground with the offseason workouts that began Monday (without Cutler).

This will only last so long, of course. Cutler seems fully prepared to make the situation as ugly as possible, and we know, from the experiences with Favre, McNair, and Moss, that is likely to happen. Ultimately, the Broncos will have to pull the trigger on a trade.

It is the only solution.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Well, if Cutler is shown the door, you can bet your ass one thing for sure is going to happen: His career will be essentially over.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Hey Taco, is there anyway you can sue writers who rip everything off from the Mane and then publish the articles as their own and get paid for that?
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This is what I've been saying into the third week now. Great article that says it in more detail. This isn't going to work. We need to get rid or one or the other. I know some people will say, "well obviously we need to get rid of the quarterback," and other will say, "well obviously we need to get rid of the coach." I personally could go either way. I just wish Bowlen would actually take control and make a decision.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

So what Vic is saying that Denver signed McD knowing that their Star QB would not fit the system?
no-pseudo-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think Cutler was never going to be happy once Shanahan and Bates were let go. Look at what Cook has done to his QB clients. Cutler better wake up and see listening to Cook spells trouble. McNair? Favre? Yeah, things went smoothly for them once they got their trade.

McDaniels apparently values a QB who limits mistakes and doesn't take a lot of chances, yet idiots around here find fault with that line of thinking?

In case the chucklehead "fire "McDaniels" before he's even coached a game yet haven't noticed, the Pats have won 3 Super Bowls and been to a 4th in a span of like the last 7 years with that line of thinking. Yeah, how stupid of them.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I agree that Cutler's "gunslinger" approach will not fit the McD scheme. The best guy to bring in to fit what McD is building would be Leinart, IMHO.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

He missed the boat on this one.
Cutler can fit ANY offense.
I hate system guys because when the system breaks down, they're ******!
Doesn't anyone remember the Brian Griese era?
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-pseudo-fan View Post
So what Vic is saying that Denver signed McD knowing that their Star QB would not fit the system?
No, more he told Cutler we won't be just throwing the ball around and hoping for big plays. We will value the ball, just like the Pats and their 4 Super Bowl apprearances have done and Cutler didn't like that idea. Being Favre and a risk taker is what he feels is more important I guess.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
Hey Taco, is there anyway you can sue writers who rip everything off from the Mane and then publish the articles as their own and get paid for that?

Hahah! i appreciate the cap tip, but credit where credit is due: Vic put a lot of work into this piece. It's very well thought out. I don't think he got the idea from me. I think he just did the math on it.

This system and Cutler are a bad fit. It was sad for me the day that I realized it. But after so many weeks, I'm just tired of knowing it, and wondering why Pat Bowlen hasn't come to the same conclusion and forced a decision. I'm still boggled at why he didn't show up for that meeting as an observer.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I agree that Cutler's "gunslinger" approach will not fit the McD scheme. The best guy to bring in to fit what McD is building would be Leinart, IMHO.
Ah crap! Did I let my wife throw out my USC Leinart jersey!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

This is just plain D U M B.

Cutler is a young QB, and to say that he can not fit in one system is just plain ignorant. He has not played a down in it yet, first of all. Second, don't you think that Josh McD or someone in the organization would've figured that Jay wouldn't fit the system before they hired Josh?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #13
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Ah crap! Did I let my wife throw out my USC Leinart jersey!
imagine the "Search and Bash" tactics that will come about on the Mane if Leinart comes here...

i dont think there was one person on here that liked Leinart over the course of the last few years here
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

This was a Bowlen special. He didn't consider how the coaching style would fit his players. He just hired what he thought looked pretty on the shelf, and figured he'd retrofit everything. Then that didn't work, and he had to can Goodman. Now this didn't work, and we're going to have to move Cutler.

This whole thing was screwed up from the beginning by Bowlen deciding the HE wanted to pick the head coach, rather than give the decision over to a football guy, and change the Broncos paradigm by hiring a GM with actual power, and then laying down some ground rules for that GM.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #15
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Players can fit any system IF THEY WANT TO. But if you have a QB who apparently feels it's more important to make Sportscenter highlight throws and take unnecessary risks than the philosohpy of taking care of the ball that might lead a team to say, 4 Super Bowl appearances the last 7 years, then you have a problem.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Leinart wasn't successful in Arizona with Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald to throw to. He gets dinged up, too. No thanks.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #17
no-pseudo-fan
True Orange & Blue

Follow me...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hidalgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
No, more he told Cutler we won't be just throwing the ball around and hoping for big plays. We will value the ball, just like the Pats and their 4 Super Bowl apprearances have done and Cutler didn't like that idea. Being Favre and a risk taker is what he feels is more important I guess.
Really?

Is that what you think?

"Jay we are going to set up a system to limit turnovers, and set teams up for big plays through formations and mismatches"

"You know what Josh, I would prefer to throw picks because it makes my TD's even more special."
Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
imagine the "Search and Bash" tactics that will come about on the Mane if Leinart comes here...

i dont think there was one person on here that liked Leinart over the course of the last few years here

Well... Me. But I've kept my mouth shut. I like his skill set, and think he'd have been a lot better with Mike Shanahan as his coach. But he's really disappointed me. I couldn't blame anyone for criticizing the guy. But I think as a reclaimation project, he'd be a lot of fun. I really like the idea of he and Josh together the more I think about it.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
skpac1001
Ring of Famer

I brings the ruckus

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't know, I think Cutler may be able to do it. Favre wasn't a prototypical west coast qb, but was effective in that system with Holmgren breathing down his neck. Having a qb who can manage games but also can play a little looser when the situation calls for it would be nice. I think if Cutler is willing (which I haven't totally given up hope on) it is worth a shot.
skpac1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #20
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Quote:
Basically. And it makes sense. The offense will unfold better without a "gunslinger" at the helm.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #21
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
This was a Bowlen special. He didn't consider how the coaching style would fit his players. He just hired what he thought looked pretty on the shelf, and figured he'd retrofit everything. Then that didn't work, and he had to can Goodman. Now this didn't work, and we're going to have to move Cutler.

This whole thing was screwed up from the beginning by Bowlen deciding the HE wanted to pick the head coach, rather than give the decision over to a football guy, and change the Broncos paradigm by hiring a GM with actual power, and then laying down some ground rules for that GM.
No, I think Bowlen assumed Cutler would get with the program. There isn't a reason in the world that Cutler couldn't fit into McDs system if he was willing to buy into it.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #22
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Really?

Is that what you think?

"Jay we are going to set up a system to limit turnovers, and set teams up for big plays through formations and mismatches"

"You know what Josh, I would prefer to throw picks because it makes my TD's even more special."

Not quite. More like if the intended receiver isn't open, we check down or throw it away. We don't force the ball into coverage and just throw it up for grabs when there is no need to. We go to the next play.

But that's too boring.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #23
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

If people think McD can't be successful with JC on the field, then he sure won't be with someone like Leinhart either ... and his career as a head coach in this league is fated to failure before it even begins.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #24
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

What is it that is so special about McDaniels offense?
If a late 7th round CAREER backup like Matt Cassel can run it, I'm damn sure Jay Cutler can too.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #25
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The truly sad part about all this is that one of the things that Bowlen said he fired Shanny for was he wanted a new coach specifically to help develop Cutler. Sadly, this decision has erupted into a sh*t storm of epic proportions, and almost certainly has utterly failed in that goal Bowlen had.

I suspect that, because of this, McD is already on shaky ground with Bowlen because of this whole mess.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote