The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
garandman
Seasoned Veteran

Your in my sights!

Default Cutler/McDaniels- Solution

I have been thinking about this a lot, just like the rest of you. The best business decision for the Broncos is to hold firm and do not do anything with Cutler. I don't think he has the stomach to hold out a year, the fact is, we cant get equal return for him so DO NOT try to trade him. He even said he WILL report to camp when mandatory. If McDaniels can't be one on one right now because of Bus that would be the time. If he comes to camp and throws a fit there, fine but we shouldn't feel pressure to be making a hasty move right now, put the pressure on Cooke and Cutler.

Sadly, I don't think the Broncos have the experience or the patience to pull it off
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
I have been thinking about this a lot, just like the rest of you. The best business decision for the Broncos is to hold firm and do not do anything with Cutler. I don't think he has the stomach to hold out a year, the fact is, we cant get equal return for him so DO NOT try to trade him. He even said he WILL report to camp when mandatory. If McDaniels can't be one on one right now because of Bus that would be the time. If he comes to camp and throws a fit there, fine but we shouldn't feel pressure to be making a hasty move right now, put the pressure on Cooke and Cutler.

Sadly, I don't think the Broncos have the experience or the patience to pull it off

Agreed
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Couldnt agree more. I think best way to handle it is to hold firm, not trade him and tell him that when this all blows over in a year, he will get an extension next February, with a no trade clause if thats what satisfies him.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post

You obviously disagree. Could you elaborate? I think it's viable. He's a franchise QB. We're looking at playing without him as is. We might as well play without him and fine his ass until he grows up and comes in.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

We have too many needs to throw away even half of Cutler's value by allowing him to sit on the bench. And why keep someone who isn't buying into the program? All it's going to do is undermine Josh's authority in the locker room, further deteriorate Cutler's value, and make it more difficult for us to trade him.

And besides, what is getting lost in all of this is the fact that Cutler isn't a great fit for McDaniel's offense. Cutler is a gunslinger who takes chances. He's not a great fit for a Erhardt-Perkins offensive system. Him and Josh would be bumping heads all season. Why do you think the Broncos won't just end this by committing to Jay? It's because Josh knows Jay isn't a great fit for this offense.

Just trade him. Get as much as you can for him, and move forward. Or, can the coach and bring in someone with a system that will maximize Cutler's abilities. Whatever we do, we shouldn't keep these two kids on the same team. They are like peanut butter and mustard.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
You obviously disagree. Could you elaborate? I think it's viable. He's a franchise QB. We're looking at playing without him as is. We might as well play without him and fine his ass until he grows up and comes in.
If this regime grows a brain and decides not to trade him and let him sit, he will not be fined. He will go to all mandatory functions as well as training camp.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

I disagreed with the last sentence. Its not like the Broncos have never dealt with a problem player before. Otherwise I'm good with what he posted.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

You know,, cutler doesn't make a ton of money, we could sit him the entire year and not feel too bad about it. It's not like sitting him after he got a new deal or anything.

Sit his ass, let Simms get in there, probably win 11 game, something Cutler has never done (If McDaniels did it with Cassle why not with Simms?) Then let Simms get a big deal somewhere else, By then Cutler woul have been broken just like Ricky Bobby's kids were by there grandma.
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I agree. We should hold on to him and hope it straightens itself out. This way the FO doesnt have to deal with the fan backlash. But also, I dont know if anyone else thinks the tone has softened in the rhetoric. Josh needs to get on a plane and go have a coffee with Jay.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
We have too many needs to throw away even half of Cutler's value by allowing him to sit on the bench. And why keep someone who isn't buying into the program? All it's going to do is undermine Josh's authority in the locker room, further deteriorate Cutler's value, and make it more difficult for us to trade him.
I disagree. While it would nice to get that value you are talking about, you have to set an example of how things are going to run. It actually puts the pressure on Jay in the locker room. Not the other way around.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
I agree. We should hold on to him and hope it straightens itself out. This way the FO doesnt have to deal with the fan backlash. But also, I dont know if anyone else thinks the tone has softened in the rhetoric. Josh needs to get on a plane and go have a coffee with Jay.

why does Josh have to go to Jay? Dont you think that tilts the dynamic? Does your boss go to you if you are upset? Should be the other way around. If they do meet should be without agents, owners, fans or media.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #13
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
You know,, cutler doesn't make a ton of money, we could sit him the entire year and not feel too bad about it. It's not like sitting him after he got a new deal or anything.

Sit his ass, let Simms get in there, probably win 11 game, something Cutler has never done (If McDaniels did it with Cassle why not with Simms?) Then let Simms get a big deal somewhere else, By then Cutler woul have been broken just like Ricky Bobby's kids were by there grandma.
If you think this team will win 11 games with Simms....
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #14
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

And besides, what is getting lost in all of this is the fact that Cutler isn't a great fit for McDaniel's offense. Cutler is a gunslinger who takes chances. He's not a great fit for a Erhardt-Perkins offensive system. Him and Josh would be bumping heads all season. Why do you think the Broncos won't just end this by committing to Jay? It's because Josh knows Jay isn't a great fit for this offense.
This is an excellent point and one I mentioned earlier right after the hiring was announced. Cutler can play in any offense, but he's a pretty prototypical west coast offense guy: Mobile, big arm, makes plays with his feet, creative and improvisational.

Erhardt-Perkins features typically pretty nonathletic pocket passers that economically distribute the ball. It puts a premium on efficiency. Cutler has all the efficiency of a barbarian with a battle axe; He goes in to take their head off with every swing. Going back to your earlier simile, Kosar and Belichick bonked heads because of this philosophical difference. I think Mcdaniels is more open minded than people give him credit for, and I think Jay is better than Kosar and would do better than people think. It could work, but your best point is that he doesn't want to be here.

I've always felt if someone doesn't want to be there, don't make them. In school they'd make these kids come to class and they'd just disrupt and be stupid the whole time and made the whole situation worse. I remember thinking "Why do we all have to put up with this for?"

Cutler doesn't want to be here. He hasn't since Bates left. Let him go and let's get someone who does.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #15
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I disagreed with the last sentence. Its not like the Broncos have never dealt with a problem player before. Otherwise I'm good with what he posted.

But we have an inexperienced HC and GM. This would have never happened with a more expienced FO. They made a rookie mistake and now don't know how to get out of it. I don;t think we have the ppl in place who are schrewed enough to get out of this mess they created. Trading Cutler for picks is not the answer.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #16
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
why does Josh have to go to Jay? Dont you think that tilts the dynamic? Does your boss go to you if you are upset? Should be the other way around. If they do meet should be without agents, owners, fans or media.

while I agree with that sentiment, I can't think of any way of getting Cutler away from Bus. He refuses to come to a meeting without him there. Maybe if McD says he will come out for a one on one, provided it is a true one on one, he might be able to get him away from Bus's influence for a bit.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #17
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I disagree. While it would nice to get that value you are talking about, you have to set an example of how things are going to run. It actually puts the pressure on Jay in the locker room. Not the other way around.

I think inviting the distraction during the first McDaniels season with one of the toughest schedules we've had in who knows how long would be the wrong thing to do. Talk about setting an example for how things would run...

We've got to get rid of one guy or the other.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:59 AM   #18
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

this is a great thread with non-emotional takes..great work...alright, the Guinness is on me everybody...it's been a tough couple of weeks..lets go drink...
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #19
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
why does Josh have to go to Jay? Dont you think that tilts the dynamic? Does your boss go to you if you are upset?
Thats nonsense. Players and coaches collaborate. Its not all about following orders like robots or being obedient like dogs. The normal workplace job isnt really that analagous to professional sports because in a lot of cases the player makes more money than the coach. So every day jobs are poor comparisons but even having said that, its not unusual for bosses in normal jobs to be concerned with the morale of those who work for/with them.

Besides, Josh is supposed to be the adult. The bend people into place approach has failed miserably to this point.

Quote:
Should be the other way around. If they do meet should be without agents, owners, fans or media.
Not if youre McDaniels and you feel like you need a QB.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #20
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
I think inviting the distraction during the first McDaniels season with one of the toughest schedules we've had in who knows how long would be the wrong thing to do. Talk about setting an example for how things would run...

We've got to get rid of one guy or the other.
Thats what McD is installing. There was an article that said a veteran was at his first practice as a patriot. He say Belichik completely undress Brady in front of the team. The vet said ok everyone is accountable. I have to go find that article.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #21
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Yes, sure, if McD wanted Cutler as his QB this would work perfectly. Does he? That's the big mystery. If he does, you would think everything would work out.. but.. i don't see it.. i really hope so, though..
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #22
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Thats what McD is installing. There was an article that said a veteran was at his first practice as a patriot. He say Belichik completely undress Brady in front of the team. The vet said ok everyone is accountable. I have to go find that article.

That's fine for Belichick. A 32 year old head coach is going to have a hell of a time undressing anyone in front of the team under any circumstance. He'd better find a better approach. That one is going to get him canned quick.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #23
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
That's fine for Belichick. A 32 year old head coach is going to have a hell of a time undressing anyone in front of the team under any circumstance. He'd better find a better approach. That one is going to get him canned quick.
I didn't say that would be his method. But the theory is what he is instilling.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #24
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Have to take a stand sooner or later, may as well be now.

Cook is an idiot, he is trying to take advantage of a new HC when that is exactly what is going to burn his client.

You don't eff with a guy looking to prove himself.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #25
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

The solution? Surprise Buttseks.