The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
Stormontheplains
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Andre Hall
Default Interview process

My biggest question is in the interview process did McD tell Pat that he would trade the franchise QB for Matt Cassell? If so, why did he get hired. McD knew before he took the Denver job that the pat's were not going to pay him 15mill, and therefore knew he could get him. To me, he had a plan the whole time to get cassel. In my opinion he not only has lied to Jay but Pat as well. If Pat knew this was the plan, the he is dead to me.

I understand having a relationship with a player, but if your McD are you willing to never be a head coach again if cassell bomb's and you look like an ass with Jay doing well where ever he went?
Stormontheplains is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I'm still confused I mean you had a bad experience with Jay this should have been great news for you.

Bowlen fully supports his coach, he has said that means he knows what happened and the plan so start hating him.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I would doubt that he specifically mentioned any players he would target, and it's just as likely that McDaniels would have come out glowing gold if Cassel turned into the Cassel in NE and Cutler went on to a Jeff George-esque career with Detroit.

But this is exactly what we need; another baiting thread.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

I think Shanny turned over the pics he had of Bowlen for the last 3 years to McD just before the interview.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbloke View Post
I think Shanny turned over the pics he had of Bowlen for the last 3 years to McD just before the interview.

TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
cdesignmaster
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Why do some think that Cassel was so great? He took a 16-0 team to a 11-5 record, imagine what he'd do to a 7-9 team.
cdesignmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormontheplains View Post
My biggest question is in the interview process did McD tell Pat that he would trade the franchise QB for Matt Cassell? If so, why did he get hired. McD knew before he took the Denver job that the pat's were not going to pay him 15mill, and therefore knew he could get him. To me, he had a plan the whole time to get cassel. In my opinion he not only has lied to Jay but Pat as well. If Pat knew this was the plan, the he is dead to me.

I understand having a relationship with a player, but if your McD are you willing to never be a head coach again if cassell bomb's and you look like an ass with Jay doing well where ever he went?
Or, maybe you are 100% wrong, and the Broncos really were approached about the trade like they said.

Try to separate your feelings from the facts, and maybe we will gain some real understanding around here. Until this "theory" of yours is somehow proven by an actual person, you are just blowing smoke - and denying the facts.

As far as eveyone knows so far, the Broncos were approached about a trade. If it's otherwise, no one has gone on the record with factual evidence.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdesignmaster View Post
Why do some think that Cassel was so great? He took a 16-0 team to a 11-5 record, imagine what he'd do to a 7-9 team.
because any other team that loses brady doesn't crack 8 wins. Brady took them to 16 wins its amazing that they got 11 out of Cassell.

Still I prefer Cutler because I think once he matures the ceiling is scary high for him.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Or, maybe you are 100% wrong, and the Broncos really were approached about the trade like they said.

Try to separate your feelings from the facts, and maybe we will gain some real understanding around here. Until this "theory" of yours is somehow proven by an actual person, you are just blowing smoke - and denying the facts.

As far as eveyone knows so far, the Broncos were approached about a trade. If it's otherwise, no one has gone on the record with factual evidence.
Hey pal, try to keep up with what your wunderkid coach has said the past couple days, OK?

McDip**** has already admitted that he was actively trying to get Cassel here.

And no, since McDaniels has already proven himself to be a liar I think there is no way in hell he wouldve told Pat that his plan in the interview process would include trading "The man around here" and still gotten hired.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #10
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Still I prefer Cutler because I think once he matures the ceiling is scary high for him.
Well then thats unfortunate because I doubt we will get to see him mature here. I believe and trust in Dave Logans opinion and when he says its 85/15 that our quarterback won't be here I will believe that. I had exactly the opposite opinion 24 hours ago.

Very dark time for us Bronco fans indeed.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #11
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post

And no, since McDaniels has already proven himself to be a liar I think there is no way in hell he wouldve told Pat that his plan in the interview process would include trading "The man around here" and still gotten hired.
In "my world" the "man with the checkbook" dictates the rules. I doubt Pat is/was completely in the "dark" on this one.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdesignmaster View Post
Do we think he's "so great"? I think that's the point: McD succeeded with a QB who wasn't that great. A smart QB with the ability to play within the system. A QB who, depite not being nearly as talented, finished the season with a better QB rating than Jay Cutler.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
In "my world" the "man with the checkbook" dictates the rules. I doubt Pat is/was completely in the "dark" on this one.
you still think thats true with what this punk ass mother****in kid has been allowed to do?

My respect for the "man with the checkbook" has taken a major hit since this Cutler ****storm started. I thought he would pull a bold move like what he did with Elway/Reeves and at the very least chew Josh's ass out, but that obviously hasnt happened.

Even with the firing of Shanny even though I disagreed I thought it was anything but "gutless." I have always felt fortunate that our team has one of the best and most competent owners in sports up to a month ago. All that has gone out the window, especially when Bowlen wants to take an innocent bystander approach and say te he is "disappointed with the whole situation." The guy shouldve taken charge the moment he knew Cutler was pissed and he obviously has trusted his coach to deal with this mess and now we are undoubtedly the laughingstock of sports.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #14
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

I'd love to know how McD became GM...

The Goodmans getting canned was almost as bad as this Cutler mess.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
The Goodmans getting canned was almost as bad as this Cutler mess.
You need to keep up, this has all been explained. The short version: the younger Goodman was a widely hated idiot and had to go. Unfortunately daddy had to go with him.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #16
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
you still think thats true with what this punk ass mother****in kid has been allowed to do?

My respect for the "man with the checkbook" has taken a major hit since this Cutler ****storm started. I thought he would pull a bold move like what he did with Elway/Reeves and at the very least chew Josh's ass out, but that obviously hasnt happened.

Even with the firing of Shanny even though I disagreed I thought it was anything but "gutless." I have always felt fortunate that our team has one of the best and most competent owners in sports up to a month ago. All that has gone out the window, especially when Bowlen wants to take an innocent bystander approach and say te he is "disappointed with the whole situation." The guy shouldve taken charge the moment he knew Cutler was pissed and he obviously has trusted his coach to deal with this mess and now we are undoubtedly the laughingstock of sports.

I don't like this whole situation, but putting it in perspective I submit: When I give someone the reigns to a project, I expect them to manage it from the ground up, all the way to the end.

We do not know what happened behind closed doors regardless ot the thousands of posts and articles about this issue.

A side note: I once had an employee who worked for the company for over 15years and had the impression that he did not have to follow protocol. Well, a few weeks later he didn't have to follow our protocol ANYMORE!

....and life goes on!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #17
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormontheplains View Post

I think it's been written about several times.

McD was approached AT THE COMBINE about moving Jay. I do not think it was part of the plan from the very beginning.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #18
DrFate
Lord of Order

I think this thread asks a bigger question - how much power does McSparky have? I thought Shanny was fired because one man shouldn't have the power over personnel and on-field moves.

How does Xanders feel about this? Was he ready to trade Cutler? (and I fully believe that McSparky WANTED to replace Cutler with Freakin' Cassel, it was more than simply 'answering the phone'). How does the owner feel about this?

I think this guy McSparky is a boob and in way over his head. But to be fair - is he acting alone. Does he have Shanahan power?
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #19
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailgateNut View Post
I don't like this whole situation, but putting it in perspective I submit: When I give someone the reigns to a project, I expect them to manage it from the ground up, all the way to the end.

We do not know what happened behind closed doors regardless ot the thousands of posts and articles about this issue.

A side note: I once had an employee who worked for the company for over 15years and had the impression that he did not have to follow protocol. Well, a few weeks later he didn't have to follow our protocol ANYMORE!

....and life goes on!
Im not in your position yet and probably wont be for another 10 years easily, but as VP of our 3 person company, any time I am faced with a decision that I am not 100% confident in, I call the boss and ask for his imput.

Guess thats the only way I can relate this to the Josh McDaniels situation. Except this would be like me bidding an $80,000 job and lowballing our bid to about $55,000 and leaving $25,000 on the table to ensure we get the job. All without consulting the owner/boss.

A mistake like that would at the very least get me stripped of my bidding responsibilities, if not fired.

Anyway, i just want Cutler to be our quarterback until either he retires or proves he is not capable of being our quarterback anymore. If that means putting their bs pride aside and extending him, fine.

But I do know that the Broncos need Cutler a lot more than Cutler needs the Broncos.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #20
AtlantaBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Bowlen made a mistake in hiring McDaniels. Clearly, McDaniels wants "his guys" playing for him no matter the talent level. He isn't ready to run a coaching staff and this whole mess is just a beginning to the ruin he will bring to the Bronco's organization. Bowlen is going to have quite a mess to clean up in 2 years or less.
AtlantaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #21
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:

Anyway, i just want Cutler to be our quarterback until either he retires or proves he is not capable of being our quarterback anymore. If that means putting their bs pride aside and extending him, fine.

That's a two-way street.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #22
Stormontheplains
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Andre Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

Here are some points

1.) Dave Logan veryfied yestarday in a phone interview with McD that Jay Cutler never asked for a trade after Bates was let go. Dave asked him the question 3 times, and he stated on record "Jay did not ask for a Trade."
After hearing that I can conclude that Jay although upset was still positive about the new system and McD

2.) Everyone knows that Cassel would not be making 15 mil, and Tom Brady making 8 Mil for the patriots. It was well played by Billy, but McD 100% knew that cassel was trade bait. If he didn't know that, than we got a guy that was not a trusted member of Billy's staff, which I would consider a huge knock.

3.) Pat Bowlen was quoted by the Denver Post "I did not have knowledge of the trade." I would believe that due to his hands off approach to the team. I do believe had he knew, it would have been squashed.

4.) The biggest negative for Jay as far as the coach is concerned is if jay was not succesfull in his system after a great year with shanny, that would make McD look very bad, where if he fails with cassel he still has time to blame the D left by shanny, and blame cassel's inexperience

Just my thoughts
Stormontheplains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #23
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yeah, I'm sure McDaniels first thought was after being hired was I'm trading Cutler for Cassell.

When Cassell came on the market, who is to say McDaniels wanted to dump Cutler in the process? He just came from the Pats where having 2 QB's who can play comes in handy if one goes down.

Plus, who is to say that because any deal involved Cutler an whatever else that wasn't deemed appealing, made the Broncos have no interest?

Again, no one knows these answers except to what they want to believe. McDaniels did not say he was actively trading Cutler and there is no proof that he was other than an agent who has a credibility problem stemmed from his past actions with other players.

And what is wrong with coaches wanting "their guys" anyway? Like any coach going to a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 3 years and only 1 playoff win the last 10 is going to stand pat with the current roster. Only a fool does that. Wake up.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #24
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post

And what is wrong with coaches wanting "their guys" anyway? Like any coach going to a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 3 years and only 1 playoff win the last 10 is going to stand pat with the current roster. Only a fool does that. Wake up.
Yeah. That never happens.