The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Jets tracking Jay Cutler situation, source says

Jets tracking Jay Cutler situation, source says
By Erik Boland / Newsday
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - Updated 2m ago

If Jay Cutler successfully cries his way out of Denver, the New York Jets [team stats] can’t be ruled out as a potential landing spot. A source said Monday that the Jets are "paying attention" to the situation involving the Broncos quarterback, who wants to be traded.

Cutler made the request Sunday night through his agent, Bus Cook, several outlets reported. Cook also represents the retired Brett Favre, but a deal for this Cook client is a long way from happening, and just how interested the Jets are is not clear. It would seem to be a long shot, but general manager Mike Tannenbaum pulled off a stunner last summer by trading for Favre.

The Jets have not commented on Cutler and will not because league rules prohibit discussing another team’s player who is under contract. Cutler has three years left on the six-year deal he signed after the Broncos drafted him out of Vanderbilt as the 11th overall pick in 2006. The Jets looked hard at Cutler before taking tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson with the fourth overall pick.

New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels angered Cutler when word got out that McDaniels, formerly the Patriots [team stats]’ offensive coordinator, was interested in trading for Matt Cassel. Cassel, under McDaniels’ tutelage, shined last season after Tom Brady [stats] went down in Week 1 against the Chiefs, who recently traded for Cassel.

Cutler put off meeting with McDaniels for two weeks before getting together Saturday. McDaniels, according to various reports, thought things went well; Cutler, not so much.

"At the end of the meeting, he wasn’t like, ’Jay, I want you as our quarterback, you’re our guy.’ It felt like the opposite," Cutler told ESPN. "I thought he was antagonizing me, and that was disappointing because I was ready to move on, committed as a Bronco."

The Denver Post and Sports Illustrated reported that McDaniels wants to meet again with Cutler, who skipped the team’s first day of voluntary conditioning sessions Monday, to see if they can smooth things over.

McDaniels briefly addressed the situation with the team Monday. "He said, ’I’ll take care of it,’ and that’s pretty much it," Broncos defensive lineman Kenny Peterson said, according to the Denver Post.

The Broncos have no quality in-house replacement, which makes trading Cutler because he’s unhappy impractical, though not impossible.

Coincidentally, several members of the Jets are in the Midwest looking at another quarterback. Brian Schottenheimer met with Kansas State’s Josh Freeman Monday, according to nfl.com, and the offensive coordinator, along with Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan, have a private workout with Freeman on Tuesday. The Jets also have scheduled a private workout with USC quarterback Mark Sanchez.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/f...59156&srvc=rss
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

No real news in the article, but the assurance that there is interest in Cutler. Hopefully we can get some teams bidding against eachother.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

I think this is probably THE most logical situation for him, outside of Minnesota.

I'm shocked that Minnesota hasn't called up and offered the farm for him. Honestly, with that defense and running game in place... Cutler could come in and just manage games and win. I don't get their lack of interest.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 AM   #4
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
No real news in the article, but the assurance that there is interest in Cutler. Hopefully we can get some teams bidding against eachother.
The question I'd have is... why is the Boston media so plugged-in to the Broncos' business? It was also Boston media that broke the story of the failed Cutler-for-Cassel trade plan and sparked our 3-ring circus, IIRC...
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
BroncosinDC
Now Live From Baltimore!

True Men have Facial Hair

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kyle Orton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
The question I'd have is... why is the Boston media so plugged-in to the Broncos' business? It was also Boston media that broke the story of the failed Cutler-for-Cassel trade plan and sparked our 3-ring circus, IIRC...
I would guess McD was getting blown by an intern up there and has to keep leaking info to her to avoid it getting back to his wife...or better yet it was a male intern.

Very odd though, I mean I don't see a Denver reporter looking for info on other teams trades not involving Denver. Come to think of it didn't the Dawkins signing get broke by a San Francisco reporter, *cough Mike Nolan*.
BroncosinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #6
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Darth Belicheck is laughing as his arch Nemesis the Denver Broncos is in shambles because of the work of his most respected disciple.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosinDC View Post
I would guess McD was getting blown by an intern up there and has to keep leaking info to her to avoid it getting back to his wife...or better yet it was a male intern.

Very odd though, I mean I don't see a Denver reporter looking for info on other teams trades not involving Denver. Come to think of it didn't the Dawkins signing get broke by a San Francisco reporter, *cough Mike Nolan*.
Have to admit I find it strange. Coincidental. And I think we're the only NFL franchise that holds a winning record over Belichick's Pats. Things that make you go "Hmmmmmm....."
Old 03-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

F the Jets.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Check this out... The Detoit Free Press has published a photo gallery of Jay.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #10
arghemtee
say "NO!" to tyranny

FIRE MCDIP****

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I will not let myself talk about trades, draft picks, or players in return for Jay Cutler. I am holding out for hope. I am hoping Bowlen makes everything right.
arghemtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 AM   #11
arghemtee
say "NO!" to tyranny

FIRE MCDIP****

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He is wanted, that's for sure.

Why can't the Broncos front office take a look around the internet? Why can't they look around the league and see how many teams want Jay Cutler? That should be the first clue that you have a Franchise QB that you need to lock up.
arghemtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 AM   #12
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Oh, Noes....Pic #4 is "Mopey Jay"...
Old 03-17-2009, 01:38 AM   #13
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by arghemtee View Post
He is wanted, that's for sure.

Why can't the Broncos front office take a look around the internet? Why can't they look around the league and see how many teams want Jay Cutler? That should be the first clue that you have a Franchise QB that you need to lock up.

It's not about that. I don't think Cutler feels like he can trust McDaniels with his career.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #14
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
It's not about that. I don't think Cutler feels like he can trust McDaniels with his career.
Not being "in the loop" when important discussions like that are ongoing can result in a lack of trust...
Old 03-17-2009, 02:16 AM   #15
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

yeah the Jets can join the other 15+ teams keeping an eye on the situation
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:00 AM   #16
MechanicalBull
Interesting Times Ahead

On the radio here in NY yesterday they were questioning if McDaniels would help out the Jets and hurt Belli and the Pats by sending Cutler to the Jets.
MechanicalBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:13 AM   #17
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
Actually it's not the Boston media, it's a Newsday article printed in the Boston Herald. It's not that hard to figure out if you look at the words "Newsday" that are right next to the author's name on the byline.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote