The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Default Post: McDaniels in charge - Royal: "You can tell he's a great leader"

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11928411

Just in case there were any doubts about who is in charge at Broncos headquarters, they departed when new coach Josh McDaniels finished his first team meeting Monday morning.

McDaniels, 32, the team's head coach, managed to come across as both energetic and stern as he spoke for about 30 minutes. In his speech, players said, McDaniels described his coaching philosophies, his plans for the upcoming season and his expectations for the team.

The main message? Be ready to work.

"Today is the first day of the season," said cornerback Andre Goodman, who recently signed with the team as a free agent. "It's not one of those 'Let's get ready for the offseason.' No, today is the first day of the season. That's the approach he's taking, and that's the approach the players are going to take."

McDaniels did speak, briefly, about the status of quarterback Jay Cutler, who was noticeably absent from the voluntary meeting after requesting a trade a day earlier. McDaniels told players he and management would deal with the Cutler situation and they should focus on their jobs.

McDaniels met most of his players at some point in the two months since he was hired Jan. 12, but this was the first chance for him to address them as a group.

"You could tell he's a great leader and he commands respect. And he has a plan," wide receiver Eddie Royal said. "He's focused, he's driven, and that's what you want to see in your head coach."

Defensive lineman Kenny Peterson, who has known McDaniels since both were teenagers and teammates at the same high school in Canton, Ohio, said the new coach had little trouble commanding the respect of his players, even though McDaniels is about the same age as plenty of them.

"I don't care if he's 20, 40, 50, 60 years old. You're the head coach. You're going to get the respect," Peterson said. "Just his demeanor, he's very methodical. He's very articulate."

Part of McDaniels' plan Monday, players said, was to instill a sense
of discipline starting with the attitude McDaniels wanted players to have about the offseason training program that began with an upper-body weightlifting session Monday.

The team will run together for the first time today. The voluntary offseason conditioning program run by strength coach Rich Tuten, one of the holdovers from Mike Shana-han's staff continues through June 26.

McDaniels and his staff did not speak much to players Monday about the specifics of the offensive playbook or the new defensive scheme the staff is planning to install.

The first mandatory minicamp is April 17-19.

Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

To be fair... people tend to not want to get into the giant mess that Cutler is in. It would be completely stupid to go to the media and say McDaniels sucks. Naturally they're going to say good things about him.

You can go back to other conferences with new coaches and players being interviewed and they say the same **** about how awesome their coach is and what a good leader he is going to be. I'm sure you'd see that plenty of those coaches were fired later on as well.

It would be like a guy in the Obama administration saying he sucks blah blah blah etc.

Cutler is an extreme exception to the norm.

This proves nothing about McDaniels. What proves something is how many W's and L's we have at the end of the next season.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
To be fair... people tend to not want to get into the giant mess that Cutler is in. It would be completely stupid to go to the media and say McDaniels sucks. Naturally they're going to say good things about him.

You can go back to other conferences with new coaches and players being interviewed and they say the same **** about how awesome their coach is and what a good leader he is going to be. I'm sure you'd see that plenty of those coaches were fired later on as well.

It would be like a guy in the Obama administration saying he sucks blah blah blah etc.

Cutler is an extreme exception to the norm.

This proves nothing about McDaniels. What proves something is how many W's and L's we have at the end of the next season.
Right, and you'd be saying the same thing is he had ripped McDaniels a new a-hole, I'm sure. No question.

But, he didn't. He spoke highly of him, as have all the players and many of his past players/coaches.

It's cool, though. You stay miserable, kid. It's safe there.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Yeah everyone else is buying into McDaniels. They are either scared ****less, or they are just smarter.

Jay let his agent dig him a deep hole that Cutler can't get out of now. He will get his big payday, and I believe it will still be with Denver.

Bowlen needs to make up his mind. If Jay really is the man, then pony up and show it by giving him a new contract. He has at the very least shown that he deserves that much. Far worse QBs have gotten more money for showing less IMO.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Popps,

That is a very small percentage of the locker room. What about those who did not speak to the media? I would like to know how they feel, but they are smart enough not to say anything bad about the coach, fearing they may be cut/traded because they disagree with his tactics.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:16 AM   #6
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

2013... the year of Sci-Fi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Duck Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Right, and you'd be saying the same thing is he had ripped McDaniels a new a-hole, I'm sure. No question.

But, he didn't. He spoke highly of him, as have all the players and many of his past players/coaches.

It's cool, though. You stay miserable, kid. It's safe there.
If he ripped McDaniels a new a-hole I wouldn't be happy about it either. It would be stumping to a very low level. Not even Cutler has truly slandered McDaniels. He's just said he's felt he's not wanted and that McDaniels wasn't being truthful about the Cassel situation.

Of that I'm sure. No question. Because I know ME and you don't, as much as you think you know everything about everyone.

You end with an insult as well. Typical insecure individual there.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
Yeah everyone else is buying into McDaniels. They are either scared ****less, or they are just smarter.

Jay let his agent dig him a deep hole that Cutler can't get out of now. He will get his big payday, and I believe it will still be with Denver.

Bowlen needs to make up his mind. If Jay really is the man, then pony up and show it by giving him a new contract. He has at the very least shown that he deserves that much. Far worse QBs have gotten more money for showing less IMO.
The team have already bought in. It's fantastic, too. I think this is going to end up unifying the locker room. Tragedies (in relative terms) tend to do that to a group.

Here's how this will happen. If Cutler leaves, these guys are going to have a chip on their shoulder the size of Colorado. All they'll hear is how ****ed they are without the "golden boy," and that's not going to sit well with proud professionals.

You can already sense these guys are sick of the drama. You can already tell these guys want to get to work and forget about the QB, and just do their job and win games.

I love it. I hope Jay decides to be a man like the rest of these men and honor his contract as they are... but if not, these guys will unify and push forward, possibly a tighter team because of it.

The "excitement" all of these guys talk about isn't a put-on.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
You end with an insult as well. Typical insecure individual there.
Look, man... it's not an insult. You are ****ing captain emo, gloom and doom.
I'm not sure why you bother. I'm not insulting you, I'm just commenting on your posting style.

Look, I have serious concerns. I'm not pollyanna about this. But, there are some reasons to be optimistic about the future and these players are expressing some of them.

Your need to **** on it as some sort of covert Cutler cover-up isn't my doing, so don't get upset because I comment on it.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
The team have already bought in. It's fantastic, too. I think this is going to end up unifying the locker room. Tragedies (in relative terms) tend to do that to a group.

Here's how this will happen. If Cutler leaves, these guys are going to have a chip on their shoulder the size of Colorado. All they'll hear is how ****ed they are without the "golden boy," and that's not going to sit well with proud professionals.

You can already sense these guys are sick of the drama. You can already tell these guys want to get to work and forget about the QB, and just do their job and win games.

I love it. I hope Jay decides to be a man like the rest of these men and honor his contract as they are... but if not, these guys will unify and push forward, possibly a tighter team because of it.

The "excitement" all of these guys talk about isn't a put-on.
a unified group of guys on the way to 4-12. Hollywood should make a movie about the buddies these guys will all become through the adversity of a coach with a Napoleon complex and a QB who was wronged but is taking it too far. truthfully, i don't give a **** if these guys hate each other or want to sleep with each other, i just want to see a good team again, and Jay is the most important person to accomplishing the goal of making this team good again

either way this goes the decision needs to be made now. Bowlen needs to either decide Jay is the man, call him in and say he is safe as long as he is the owner, or he has to decide to go another way and tell Cook to start looking for trade offers.

either way this needs to end now, so that the team can move on with or without Jay, i just pray it is with Jay.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 AM   #10
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

As long as the players know that the head coach is the boss and wants to win as bad as any of the players that is a good thing. I am glad he has a plan, I just wish I had some sort of clue as to what it is.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #11
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
a unified group of guys on the way to 4-12. Hollywood should make a movie about the buddies these guys will all become through the adversity of a coach with a Napoleon complex and a QB who was wronged but is taking it too far.

either way this goes the decision needs to be made now. Bowlen needs to either decide Jay is the man, call him in and say he is safe as long as he is the owner, or he has to decide to go another way and tell Cook to start looking for trade offers.

either way this needs to end now, so that the team can move on with or without Jay, i just pray it is with Jay.
The longer it carries on, the better. I hope it goes on until the day of the draft. The longer it goes, the more we are working a trade that is in our favor. We do not need Jay at conditioning work outs to help this team. By draft day we will know for sure if Jay is with us or our of town. If he is great, If not we get alot stronger on draft day and Simms will know the starting job is his to lose. Either way I am pretty damn sure that Chris Simms already has or will shortly have the playbook in his hand.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:39 AM   #12
Popps
TEAM FIRST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
As long as the players know that the head coach is the boss and wants to win as bad as any of the players that is a good thing. I am glad he has a plan, I just wish I had some sort of clue as to what it is.
We need more than a couple of weeks, CB. Given, the drama has clouded a lot of what's gone on, but life moves forward. We've made some nice additions in free agency, and I expect more. We're also positioned to make a nice splash on day one of the draft.

We're going to see a ton of offense in Denver, so fans won't be let down in that regard. The D will take a little time, but I like how we've started building.

There haven't been any great FA's out there in the front seven, so we'll have to fortify via draft/trade and maybe some of the guys already on the team can break-out. (Dumervil?)

It's an exciting time, whether everyone sees it or not.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 AM   #13
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Zzzzzzzz

Quote:
We need more than a couple of weeks, CB. Given, the drama has clouded a lot of what's gone on, but life moves forward. We've made some nice additions in free agency, and I expect more. We're also positioned to make a nice splash on day one of the draft.

We're going to see a ton of offense in Denver, so fans won't be let down in that regard. The D will take a little time, but I like how we've started building.

There haven't been any great FA's out there in the front seven, so we'll have to fortify via draft/trade and maybe some of the guys already on the team can break-out. (Dumervil?)

It's an exciting time, whether everyone sees it or not.
Excellent post Poops. You've made a really solid impact on the situation. I mean the facts here are so interesting and compelling, I can't believe The Mane isn't blowing up.

TJ must be out at an international IT HW auction trying to ensure that the traffic here doesn't overwhelm for months to come.

Thank GOD you're here to keep us informed and then by your own insight, even that much more, informed. What would we do w/o you? It baffles me that you don't have a merchant account for donations promoting your insight and objectivity. Flat out baffling.......how do you do it?
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:20 AM   #14
Williams
Pro Bowler

Encouraging read... love the Royal quote.
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:41 AM   #15
penguintheory
studio gangster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Momma

Finally, a touch of optimism.
penguintheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:23 AM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Nice. That's a Hokie right. His word is beyond contestation.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 AM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Nice. That's a Hokie right. His word is beyond contestation.
Agreed. Hokies are incapable of lying.

TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:45 AM   #18
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
The longer it carries on, the better. I hope it goes on until the day of the draft. The longer it goes, the more we are working a trade that is in our favor. We do not need Jay at conditioning work outs to help this team. By draft day we will know for sure if Jay is with us or our of town. If he is great, If not we get alot stronger on draft day and Simms will know the starting job is his to lose. Either way I am pretty damn sure that Chris Simms already has or will shortly have the playbook in his hand.
Bingo!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:55 AM   #19
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

DOH!!! That's below the belt... like a cobra to the groin type of blow!

He went all Vick on yo ass J! You can't take that, man.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:57 AM   #20
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post

Thats pretty unfair. You and I know Royal is far from a vick.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:00 AM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Actually I thought it was pretty funny. Knock Jay down a bit from his high and might Hokie Horse!

For the most part VaTech puts out a respectable bunch... every one has their Michael Vicks and DeAngelo Halls!
Old 03-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #22
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Actually I thought it was pretty funny. Knock Jay down a bit from his high and might Hokie Horse!

For the most part VaTech puts out a respectable bunch... every one has their Michael Vicks and DeAngelo Halls!
didn't say it wasn't funny, just unfair!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:12 AM   #23
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
didn't say it wasn't funny, just unfair!
Yeah, throwing someone like that out is a brutal blow.

Kind of like fighting over something minor and getting kicked in the nuts over it... thus the cobra to the groin comment.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaOps5 View Post
Thats pretty unfair. You and I know Royal is far from a vick.
I disagree. No one's calling Royal a Vick. Just reminding Hokie Pride where it's place is

...And I still have ANOTHER Vick in the pocket
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #25
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Actually , I have said this before , I think Royal is our best player on offense .. for a rookie to get off the line like he does , then run crisp routes , with speed .........go ahead let a D go man on man with Royal ........... Royal will win every time .........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote