The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #26
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp View Post
I'm pretty sure everyone gets it. You all work very hard and athletes shouldn't complain because they make sooo much money... he shouldn't ever get mad, he makes too much money, right?
I know if I was playing a game for a living making millions, well there isn't too much that would make me upset if that was the case. Not saying it is an excuse or anything, but that would just be me.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #27
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
Jim Armstrong is the biggest hack of a writer I personally have ever read. He's horrible. HORRIBLE. He gets paid to spew out 3 worthless paragraphs two times a week. If someone is going to push his Cutler agenda he shouldn't use Jim Armstrong as a source.

And oh, by the way, Armstrong stole this entire piece from a poster on this very same board.

Be back in a sec if I can find it.
Whether he stole this article or not, I'm glad he wrote it because this is something that I did not know. I'm guessing that the majority of Bronco fans do not visit the Mane, so it served to educate them as well. Hack? Yes. Informative hack? uh huh.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #28
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I'm pretty sure everyone gets it. You all work very hard and athletes shouldn't complain because they make sooo much money... he shouldn't ever get mad, he makes too much money, right?
In any owner versus player dispute about money I'm 100% pro-union. I don't see why, given that they'll never charge us fans less, the billionaires should get a larger cut than the millionaires.

But it isn't about how much money you make. Its about being a damn professional. He works in a highly competitive salaried field, there is a lot more expected than all the fry pushers around here apparently thinks goes into a job.

I'm only slightly older than Jay myself, I work in a highly competitive salaried field. I'm also only going to be living in the city I'm currently in for a few more years, and my employers know that, so I don't even have a long term vested interest in the company.

I still kick ass every single day and if the VP of my division calls up with some questions after hours, you know I'm answering it. If the owner ever feels inclined to send me a personal phone call or ask me to show up at a meeting after hours you can be damn sure I'll show.

A lot more goes into being a highly skilled salaried professional in this crazy thing we call the real world than punching your 9-5 and meeting the bare minimum of what's required of you. And that is EXACTLY what is lacking from Jay's game right now.

I know, someone will regale me with tails of his marvelous work ethic, about how he was showing up the past few weeks to get up to speed on the new offense. Great, he did a little overtime. Thats nice. Why not man up and talk to your supervisor about your gripes, or at the very least your damn boss.

He's acting like some hourly union worker who the second he's a little butt hurt about how things are going he calls his BA (Bus Cook) to whine about how unfair the job is being. Not like a high level salaried employee who puts the company high up his list of priorities.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #29
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

http://neighbors.denverpost.com/viewtopic.php?p=695238

Okay, here it is. The poster on this board was quoting someone with the stats on the Denver Post forum. So actually Armstrong stole it from the forum on the site of his very own newspaper. Pretty awesome reporting.

I guess you have to fill 3 paragraphs somehow, Jim. Good job. Meanwhile, there are very good columnists and reporters out of work from the Rocky Mountain news. Anyways, carry on.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #30
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightySmurf View Post
Maybe poor special teams is why we gained so much yardage without scoring.
that and inside the red zone we lack the RB to still get yards, and the play calling gets really conservative and we stop playing aggressive
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #31
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Forget peace. Give Jay Cutler a chance

A lot of numbers have been flying around in the midst of the Jay Cutler-Josh McDaniels spat. Some of the most interesting involve Cutler's record in games in which the Broncos have allowed 30-plus points.

For the record, it's 3-12. To put those numbers in perspective, Cutler has played two full seasons and five games of a third. Donovan McNabb has played 10 NFL seasons and is 3-16 when the Eagles allow 30-plus.

Eli Manning? He's 1-16 in such games. Jake Plummer during his days in Our Town was 0-10. Matt Cassel, if that name rings a bell, was 0-4 last season when the Pats allowed 30-plus.

Oh, and did I mention that defense isn't the only problem? The Broncos have some of the worst special teams in the league, too, forcing Cutler into lousy field position.

Just a thought, but if and when Coach J-Mac mends fences with his quarterback, maybe he can get to work on fixing the real problems.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...880?source=rss

That 30 plus points thing is a peculiar statistical category to bring up. Okay, no qb thrives with a bad defense. We get it. How about a stat category for qbs who don't understand competition is brought in all the time, like it or not? Or the four game crumble the team put on late? Fourth quarter stayaways? Plus the fact that CASSELL IS IN KANSAS CITY.

Much ado about nothing, still.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #32
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
I know if I was playing a game for a living making millions, well there isn't too much that would make me upset if that was the case. Not saying it is an excuse or anything, but that would just be me.
I find that hard to believe. I know what you mean, though. I sometimes try to imagine what I would be like if I were in their shoes. But I always just come back to the fact that, at the end of the day, money or not, we are all humans. We get angry, and when we do we say things we shouldn't, do things we shouldn't, and no ammount of any currency is going to calm your nerves, especially if that initial "big payday" was 3 years ago and you are used to being wealthy.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #33
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
I find that hard to believe. I know what you mean, though. I sometimes try to imagine what I would be like if I were in their shoes. But I always just come back to the fact that, at the end of the day, money or not, we are all humans. We get angry, and when we do we say things we shouldn't, do things we shouldn't, and no ammount of any currency is going to calm your nerves, especially if that initial "big payday" was 3 years ago and you are used to being wealthy.
Yeah I know, I'd probably turn out to be an even bigger ass, as my wife calls me.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #34
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle Orange View Post
That 30 plus points thing is a peculiar statistical category to bring up. Okay, no qb thrives with a bad defense. We get it. How about a stat category for qbs who don't understand competition is brought in all the time, like it or not? Or the four game crumble the team put on late? Fourth quarter stayaways? Plus the fact that CASSELL IS IN KANSAS CITY.

And... when did Cutler complain about Simms being brought in? Last time i checked, he wasn't complaining about competition as much as he was complaining about the possibility of his coach not wanting him on his team.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #35
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
Yeah I know, I'd probably turn out to be an even bigger ass, as my wife calls me.
For what it's worth, I think I would too.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #36
rastaman
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circle Orange View Post

Are you talking about the last four games w/o a running attack to speak of? And the same old porous Defense?
rastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #37
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I think it would be a monumental mistake to trade Jay, what if Mcd isn't coach in 2-3 yrs and Jay's playing and going to probowls with another team
How will everyone feel about that?
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #38
garandman
Seasoned Veteran

Your in my sights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
In any owner versus player dispute about money I'm 100% pro-union. I don't see why, given that they'll never charge us fans less, the billionaires should get a larger cut than the millionaires.

But it isn't about how much money you make. Its about being a damn professional. He works in a highly competitive salaried field, there is a lot more expected than all the fry pushers around here apparently thinks goes into a job.

I'm only slightly older than Jay myself, I work in a highly competitive salaried field. I'm also only going to be living in the city I'm currently in for a few more years, and my employers know that, so I don't even have a long term vested interest in the company.

I still kick ass every single day and if the VP of my division calls up with some questions after hours, you know I'm answering it. If the owner ever feels inclined to send me a personal phone call or ask me to show up at a meeting after hours you can be damn sure I'll show.

A lot more goes into being a highly skilled salaried professional in this crazy thing we call the real world than punching your 9-5 and meeting the bare minimum of what's required of you. And that is EXACTLY what is lacking from Jay's game right now.

I know, someone will regale me with tails of his marvelous work ethic, about how he was showing up the past few weeks to get up to speed on the new offense. Great, he did a little overtime. Thats nice. Why not man up and talk to your supervisor about your gripes, or at the very least your damn boss.

He's acting like some hourly union worker who the second he's a little butt hurt about how things are going he calls his BA (Bus Cook) to whine about how unfair the job is being. Not like a high level salaried employee who puts the company high up his list of priorities.
Again, here we go comparing our jobs with that of a pro-athlete. Even though we would like to think the fundamentals of how we approach work should be the same as this situation, it's a different planet in pro-sports. Like it or not, Jay Cutler puts butts in the seats, sells merchandise etc.. in other words he is putting a lot of money in Bowlen's pockets. Going 4-12 next year isn't going to help the Broncos bottom line. It is a business, no doubt, but if you really make a business decision, is it smart letting this escalate the way it has?

IMO, Bowlen should have worked a lot harder to avoid this issue all together.
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #39
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Like it or not, Jay Cutler puts butts in the seats,
The same fans have been selling out the home games in Denver well before Jay Cutler existed. That staduim doesn't sell out because of one player. The is the Denver Broncos, not the Atlanta Vicks.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #40
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
http://neighbors.denverpost.com/viewtopic.php?p=695238

Okay, here it is. The poster on this board was quoting someone with the stats on the Denver Post forum. So actually Armstrong stole it from the forum on the site of his very own newspaper. Pretty awesome reporting.

I guess you have to fill 3 paragraphs somehow, Jim. Good job. Meanwhile, there are very good columnists and reporters out of work from the Rocky Mountain news. Anyways, carry on.
He was supposed to write a blog about Training Camp last year. he would walk around asking anyone who would make eye contact to give him a topic as he had no clue what to write about.

If you listen to the guy on the radio you don't read his crap. I text his radio show on a daily basis saying, "I can't wait for the day that we hear HE GONE, and it means you."

The guy is a hack writer and its sad people from the RMN are out of work while he still collects a pay check.

Last edited by theAPAOps5; 03-17-2009 at 06:49 AM..
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #41
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

So it's proven (again) that a defense was what really needed improved and not a QB...
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #42
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Or they didn't really mean it at all. About 85% of what any front office says is PR.
I used to be a commercial litigator. My bosses were frequently a$$holes. Things did things without consulting ME ME ME that affected ME ME ME. They said things they didn't really mean. I didn't get all bent over every time one of them was rude or dissed me and threaten to go to another firm. And I wasn't even under contract. But go to another firm and some of the folks you work for are going to act like jerks sometimes. It's part of that business.

And working with jerks is part of any tough business. I cannot imagine that pro football is any gentler than working in a law firm. Suppose McDaniels was a jerk--and I'm not at all convinced that was the case. All the drama over it is stupid. Jay needs to grow up. (Or, imho, the more likely scenario is that he knows exactly what he is doing and that what really set him off was the firing of Shanahan and Bates. Since then, he's been looking for a reason to leave and blame someone else.)

It's a bloody Oprah episode when everyone sits around talking about how the organization should have "reached out." What a stupid narrative. He's got a contract, he's been paid millions of dollars. There's nothing in the contract that says the team not only has to pay him millions, but they also promise never to hurt his feelings. Feelings get hurt. Adults get over it. In any event, he's going to bank tens of millions of dollars from some organization over the next five years regardless of his hurt feelings--so my sympathy glands are a bit on low here.

I'm going to miss his razor sharp passes and pocket presence. I'm not going to miss all the stupid drama or the stupid interceptions.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:48 AM   #43
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Gump-Esque

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdf View Post
I used to be a commercial litigator. My bosses were frequently a$$holes. Things did things without consulting ME ME ME that affected ME ME ME. They said things they didn't really mean. I didn't get all bent over every time one of them was rude or dissed me and threaten to go to another firm. And I wasn't even under contract. But go to another firm and some of the folks you work for are going to act like jerks sometimes. It's part of that business.

And working with jerks is part of any tough business. I cannot imagine that pro football is any gentler than working in a law firm. Suppose McDaniels was a jerk--and I'm not at all convinced that was the case. All the drama over it is stupid. Jay needs to grow up. (Or, imho, the more likely scenario is that he knows exactly what he is doing and that what really set him off was the firing of Shanahan and Bates. Since then, he's been looking for a reason to leave and blame someone else.)

It's a bloody Oprah episode when everyone sits around talking about how the organization should have "reached out." What a stupid narrative. He's got a contract, he's been paid millions of dollars. There's nothing in the contract that says the team not only has to pay him millions, but they also promise never to hurt his feelings. Feelings get hurt. Adults get over it. In any event, he's going to bank tens of millions of dollars from some organization over the next five years regardless of his hurt feelings--so my sympathy glands are a bit on low here.

I'm going to miss his razor sharp passes and pocket presence. I'm not going to miss all the stupid drama or the stupid interceptions.
For someone who should have been trained in law school to be objective, this post implys you missed that. The purpose of "law and litigation" is the opportunity for equal argument in the interest of, "the betterment of any situation."

Being that you've experienced so much 'litigation" I'd think, ethically, you'd have to be a bit more middle of the road unless you were always funded by the "big money" side of the equation.

Q: What's the difference between an pile of **** in the road and a lawyer lying in the road?

A: The pile of **** showed definitive evidence that the driver tried to miss it......
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote