The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Logan's show on koa, schefter

Listening to Dave Logan on KOA. In the first hour he gave some comments and then had Adam Schefter on in the 2nd hour.

First Logan's comments:

Logan did say he talked to McDaniels 1/2 hour before the show. Logan said it is his opinion that it is "85/15" that Cutler does not play with the Broncos this year. He said this isn't what McDaniels told him - just Logan's opinion of the situation.

This is different than what was being reported on KOA this morning, where it was reported that Logan thought Cutler would be with the broncos qb this year.

Logan said that Cutler spent 10 days with the Broncos learning the new system last month. Two Fridays ago Cutler came to the Broncos office to talk to McDaniels, and McDaniels was on the phone. Cutler waited 30 to 40 minutes to talk to Josh and finally gave up and left, saying he'd catch up with Josh on Monday. That weekend the whole Cassell mess happened.

Logan also said "in all the years i have dealt with the nfl, both as a player and a broadcaster, Jay is the most head strong, stubborn guy I have ever been around." Logan said in his pregame show before the 1st san diego game he asked cutler about his feud with philip rivers the year before. Logan said he gave cutler an out, saying "you probably don't want to talk about this but I have to ask, any ill feelings between you and Rivers?" Cutler said "no no no it's ok to ask - it's not over and it'll never be over between me and Rivers!". This was told as an example of how Cutler holds a grudges. Logan thinks that Cutler feels McDaniels just doesn't want Jay as the qb.

Logan said current staff looks at jay cutler and sees a good qb, not necessarily a franchise qb. "I don't think the current staff is certain that Cutler is the guy to lead the broncos in the future."

Logan said the team needs to find a resolution in the next week or so or the broncos will try to move Cutler.

Now some of you may say Logan is just a broadcaster so his opinion doesn't matter much. But he does have good contacts into the organization, he gave these opinions right after talking to Josh McDaniels, so I put alot of stock in what he says. Logan was careful not to share what he and McDaniels talked about, but still after that call it was Logan's opinion "85/15 chance Cutler is gone"

====

Then Logan had Adam Schefter on. Schefter didn't say anything too revealing except this:

"The shelf life of this story runs through the nfl draft. Lets say the broncos don't deal him by the nfl draft, then he's not getting traded. The focus will then shift to the relationship between these two men. Whether they can get to that point is a different issue.

You are going to hear from now to the nfl draft what the broncos options are, what they can get for Cutler, etc.

Teams are out there sniffing and putting together packages - I know that, this is not even a guess. Is there a team out there that can put together an attractive enough package to make denver bite? - that's the question.

The problem is that the teams that need qb's don't have qb's - Denver will not be getting a qb in return. Who are the broncos taking into the season as starting qb?"

Schefter concluded by saying "all (trade) options are now in play. I
wouldn't have said that a week ago."
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
OrangeRising
Seasoned Veteran

I miss hearing Dave Logan. The man does have tremendous insight into the inner workings of the team, and my guess is that he has already built a good relationship with this new coaching staff. Schefters' credibility almost goes without saying.

When these two start talking in the negative about this McDaniels-Cutler feud, you know it's bad.

And when Logan says 85/15 against Cutler playing QB for the Broncos in '09, you can probably bank it.

What damn shame. Horrible.
OrangeRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
Popps
It's so easy

Jay is the most head strong, stubborn guy I have ever been around

Shocking.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Logan also said "in all the years i have dealt with the nfl, both as a player and a broadcaster, Jay is the most head strong, stubborn guy I have ever been around."

This is the second time we have heard/read this from a broadcaster.
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

McD just hasn't mastered the art of managing strong personalities. Cutler's knack for holding grudges like Rivers is a good case that he just doesn't have the temperament for a franchise NFL QB. Somehow Shanahan and Bates didn't have any problems coaching him up so IMHO the onus is still on McDaniels to mend fences.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post
McD just hasn't mastered the art of managing strong personalities. Cutler's knack for holding grudges like Rivers is a good case that he just doesn't have the temperament for a franchise NFL QB. Somehow Shanahan and Bates didn't have any problems coaching him up so IMHO the onus is still on McDaniels to mend fences.
Do you not think Randy Moss is a strong personality?
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
The problem is that the teams that need qb's don't have qb's - Denver will not be getting a qb in return. Who are the broncos taking into the season as starting qb?"
Cleveland is the only team with a guy who might be attractive to McD in Quinn. Byt, you know, I really doubt if McD is the kind of guy who will be scared to death going with an unknown commodity at QB, whether it's Simms or whomever. I think whoever he settles on will be productive, if unspectacular.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
telluride
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
--Rulon!--

Well, Jay certainly hasn't done anything in the past several weeks to prove that he's a franchise QB, so I don't blame the new regime for questioning that label. Stubborn, whiny, and drunk is no way to go through life, son.
telluride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Logan also said "in all the years i have dealt with the nfl, both as a player and a broadcaster, Jay is the most head strong, stubborn guy I have ever been around."

who was the other?
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post
Somehow Shanahan and Bates didn't have any problems coaching him up...
I'm not so sure about that. Do you think Jay progressed as a football player throughout this last season? I certainly don't think he did.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post
Jay is the most head strong, stubborn guy I have ever been around

Shocking.
May be. It is safe to say however, that Jay and Bus cook did not plan an exit the moment Bates left.

We can't balme the guy for both being childish and for scheming an exit from Denver.
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Ive been hearing "proud and fiercely loyal" as adjectives describing Cutler by those who know him.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos-rock View Post
Looks a lot more that Belichick runs the show in New England, not the assistants.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
rovolution
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Do you think Jay progressed as a football player throughout this last season? I certainly don't think he did.
i think after the Hillis injury in the KC game, the whole offense just went downhill, not just Jay.

I cant blame Jay not with the piece of s*** defense we fielded last season. Im sure Shanny just told him to wing it whenever after Hillis went down. Everyone seems to minimize the impact of the Hillis injury last season. It was huge IMO. If peyton stays healthy, we wouldnt be in this fiasco (and i place blame on both sides of the arguement BTW).
rovolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #15
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncos-rock View Post
Randy Moss has a much more experienced, mature perspective now that he's been around a bit. He'll more than likely be a HOF'er and he was a big a egomaniac as any player other than perhaps TO in history. He also has a reputation of being very reclusive. I'd say you make a strong point that patience could be a virtue in letting Jay grow up a bit. Everyone pretty much agrees he has some growing up to do, he just needs to be managed properly.
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Hopefully, Jay keeps his mouth shut for a while so the Broncos can get the most possible out of a trade.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #17
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

The main juice I got out of that is that teams that need a QB are not going to be able to give one back in return. Unless McDaniels can make Simms in the QB that Cassel was last season, we are screwed!
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #18
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Which player would you think had the bigger ego? 3.5 year,1 year pro-bowl, losing record quarterback or the 9 year,4 pro-bowl, 3 Super Bowl winner,2 Super Bowl MVP, 1 NFL MVP...
Old 03-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #19
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco_diesel View Post
who was the other?
Randy Cross on Sirius NFL Radio.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #20
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Logan also said just now that Cutler and his agent were very disappointed that Pat Bowlen wasn't there at the meeting Saturday with McDaniels. They took that to mean Bowlen was siding with McDaniels.

Logan said McDaniels told him at the end of the Saturday meeting Cutler said he wanted to think about what was discussed. McDaniels told Jay "you have my cell phone # when you are ready to talk." Next thing the broncos hear is bus cook calling xanders with cutler's demand to be traded.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
The main juice I got out of that is that teams that need a QB are not going to be able to give one back in return. Unless McDaniels can make Simms in the QB that Cassel was last season, we are screwed!
My opinion of next season before Shanahan left was that the Broncos could go 4 and 12 with the patchwork defense they had facing the schedule they've got. Even if Jay came in tomorrow with a big grin on his face and ready to play, this team wasn't going to the playoffs barring a total AFCW collapse. I now also believe that Jay would have been a problem sooner or later anyway. Better to cut the losses now and get serious about a rebuild. In other words, Shanahan already left us screwed, blued and tattooed. Now we need to clear the decks and create a new team.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Logan also said just now that Cutler and his agent were very disappointed that Pat Bowlen wasn't there at the meeting Saturday with McDaniels. They took that to mean Bowlen was siding with McDaniels.

Logan said McDaniels told him at the end of the Saturday meeting Cutler said he wanted to think about what was discussed. McDaniels told Jay "you have my cell phone # when you are ready to talk." Next thing the broncos hear is bus cook calling xanders with cutler's demand to be traded.
Didn't Bowlen pretty much publicly state that he was with McDaniels on this?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #23
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Next year's draft will have both McCoy and Sam Bradford.
Two winning QBs who are accurate and have leadership personality and ability.
This season is one of transition at best.....the D is going to be fixed through the draft.
We'll be fine no matter how this drama plays out.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #24
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
Next year's draft will have both McCoy and Sam Bradford.
Two winning QBs who are accurate and have leadership personality and ability.
This season is one of transition at best.....the D is going to be fixed through the draft.
We'll be fine no matter how this drama plays out.
No way.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #25
wandlc
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

This is different than Jay saying he would call in a couple of hours. Looks like McD assumed he would call back.
wandlc is offline   Reply With Quote