The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Source: Cook Wants New Contract For Cutler

Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 11:34 a.m. EDT
With none of the top quarterbacks in the draft pool picking him to be their agent, Bus Cook had to find a way to get his name into the NFL conversation in the weeks leading up to the 2009 version of the rookie selection process.

What better way to do it than to demonstrate his power and influence to the quarterback class of 2010 by forcing a trade of Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler?

Dan Patrick said on the Monday edition of his show that Cook recently responded to a report from Peter King that Cutler had asked for a trade before the possibility of trading Cutler ever arose with the time-honored non-denial denial: “Not that I know of.”

We’re now convinced that Cook is the primary instigator of Cutler’s discontent — and also the primary impediment to a meaningful coach-player meeting that could resolve the situation and keep Cutler around.

King told Patrick on Monday that coach Josh McDaniels still wants to have a one-on-one meeting with Cutler.

In other words, McDaniels wants to be able to talk to Cutler without Cook sticking his nose into the discussion, saying and doing things that will prevent Cutler’s currently stubborn resolve from weakening.

Indeed, a league source tells us that Cook’s idea for solving the current impasse was — what else? — a fat new contract for Cutler. If the Broncos aren’t willing to give Cutler a new deal, then Cook and Cutler want to be traded.

Cook is a West Virginia native, so we’d ordinarily be inclined to give him the Pat White treatment. In this case, we can’t. Cook has been at the center of too many unnecessary controversies, and he has failed to use his tremendous influence over his clients to persuade them to find a way to make things work. Instead, Cook has thrived of late on destroying existing relationships, for no apparent strategic reason other than to get his name in the paper.

That said, it’s not too late for the Broncos to take control of the situation. As pointed out in our latest SportingNews.com item, the Bengals did it last year with Chad Johnson, and the Cardinals did it last year (and might do it again this year) with Anquan Boldin. When a player is under contract for three more seasons, the team (not the player) has the power to determine whether the player will be traded or released before those three years expire.

Sorry, SoCal, had to post it. Some good points here.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...ct-for-cutler/

Last edited by TonyR; 03-16-2009 at 09:00 AM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Oh what a shocking, mind numbing surprise...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Meck77
Google Blows

No...no..no...Cutler wants a hug not more money.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Memento
SY2K

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Godwin Turk

Ta-da!
Memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Instead, Cook has thrived of late on destroying existing relationships, for no apparent strategic reason other than to get his name in the paper.

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

just a reminder, but Bus Cook works for Jay Cutler
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Insane in the membrane.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

No no! It's all an issue of trust. And everytime McDaniels talks to him Cutler gets mad! don't you realize that Cutler can't help getting mad around mcDaniels??!?!? It's like he just oozes evil. He probably has diablo's soul gem shoved into his cranium. That's why he's wearing the hoodie all the time!
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Posted by Mike Florio on March 16, 2009, 11:34 a.m. EDT
With none of the top quarterbacks in the draft pool picking him to be their agent, Bus Cook had to find a way to get his name into the NFL conversation in the weeks leading up to the 2009 version of the rookie selection process.

What better way to do it than to demonstrate his power and influence to the quarterback class of 2010 by forcing a trade of Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler?

Dan Patrick said on the Monday edition of his show that Cook recently responded to a report from Peter King that Cutler had asked for a trade before the possibility of trading Cutler ever arose with the time-honored non-denial denial: “Not that I know of.”

We’re now convinced that Cook is the primary instigator of Cutler’s discontent — and also the primary impediment to a meaningful coach-player meeting that could resolve the situation and keep Cutler around.

King told Patrick on Monday that coach Josh McDaniels still wants to have a one-on-one meeting with Cutler.

In other words, McDaniels wants to be able to talk to Cutler without Cook sticking his nose into the discussion, saying and doing things that will prevent Cutler’s currently stubborn resolve from weakening.

Indeed, a league source tells us that Cook’s idea for solving the current impasse was — what else? — a fat new contract for Cutler. If the Broncos aren’t willing to give Cutler a new deal, then Cook and Cutler want to be traded.

Cook is a West Virginia native, so we’d ordinarily be inclined to give him the Pat White treatment. In this case, we can’t. Cook has been at the center of too many unnecessary controversies, and he has failed to use his tremendous influence over his clients to persuade them to find a way to make things work. Instead, Cook has thrived of late on destroying existing relationships, for no apparent strategic reason other than to get his name in the paper.

That said, it’s not too late for the Broncos to take control of the situation. As pointed out in our latest SportingNews.com item, the Bengals did it last year with Chad Johnson, and the Cardinals did it last year (and might do it again this year) with Anquan Boldin. When a player is under contract for three more seasons, the team (not the player) has the power to determine whether the player will be traded or released before those three years expire.

Sorry, SoCal, had to post it. Some good points here.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...ct-for-cutler/
No it fits right in with what many of us are realizing. That this is a con job by Cook. Florio can still suck it though! HA!
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

He isn't helping.

On the other hand, Brett Favre was a Packer for a long time, so he must be at least workable.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

In other news, the sky is blue.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #12
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

I never seen it coming!!!
Arkansas Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

for a straight shooter, cutler sure does seem to let cook do an awful lot of his talking for him.

Bus and Jay:

Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #14
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I said this about 4-5 days ago. It's obvious this is just a ploy for a bigger deal and more money.

I say call the bluff. If Cutler wants to sit the whole yr then let him, otherwise he plays for Broncos. Ruin your career or play it's his choice.

Do not trade him for anything less then 2 first round picks. If he wants to not report then put him on did not report list and start fining him once him being there is mandatory. Then go after signing bonus even though I guess its hard to get those back nowdays.

Play total hardball with this ****head.

If people can't see how ****ed up it is to try and hold a gun to the Broncos head just because your agent see's the timing as ripe for it then **** you all too.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
clint7
Ring of Famer

So the Broncos are being super duper mean and insensitive to poor Cutler AS WELL AS cheap! Poor little fella. Buck up, Tiger!

The sun'll come out...tomorrow...
clint7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #16
Meck77
Google Blows

Oh come on people. Jay deserves a pay raise given all of his playoff experience and the fact that he led one of the highest scoring offenses in the league.....oh wait a second did I just describe Jake Plummer? lmfao
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #17
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Oh come on people. Jay deserves a pay raise given all of his playoff experience and the fact that he led one of the highest scoring offenses in the league.....oh wait a second did I just describe Jake Plummer? lmfao
Yea its real funny, with that killer def. he has had.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #18
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius Thomas

Don't know why everyone is dissin the thread, I appreciate the thread TonyR, This leans strength to what some of us have believed from the beginning, this is a ploy by Bus Driver to work the new FO to test them and try to make a name for himself by finagling a new deal for Jay. My take; Please do not cave in to this Broncos, come down hard even if you have to sit Jay do it as a matter of principal.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #19
garandman
Seasoned Veteran

Your in my sights!

This is good stuff, this needs to be spread around the web. I really believe this is what is happening, I think MCDaniels is finally getting it too. He is going to have to make some real effort and get Jay back on Board.. This guy Cooke needs to hit the bricks, what a piece of garbage
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #20
Arkansas Bronco
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Don't know why everyone is dissin the thread, I appreciate the thread TonyR, This leans strength to what some of us have believed from the beginning, this is a ploy by Bus Driver to work the new FO to test them and try to make a name for himself by finagling a new deal for Jay. My take; Please do not cave in to this Broncos, come down hard even if you have to sit Jay do it as a matter of principal.
Oh it is a b**** move by Bus/J-C but saying because he hasnt been to the play offs and dissing him isnt a valid complaint with the way our Def. has played. Talking about Plummer's success totaly went out the window when he filled in for Jay when he went down threw 1 pass for a easy pick, yea I can see he was a total team player.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #21
DomCasual
The Dude abides.

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Fax Machine

I'm all for making the Jay Bus pound sand, at this point.

A week ago, I was entirely in Jay's corner. Now, not so much.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #22
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Florio really should be posting on a discussion board instead of passing himself off as a source of information. He reads the same articles as us and comes to the same conclusion as some.

How is his opinion on this any more or less relevant than any poster here?

Acting like this is anything new or credible that is deserving a thread is ridiculous.

With that said...everything he says may, in fact, be true.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #23
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

I wonder if with all of the negative press, Bowlen is willing to pay (literally) to make it all go away.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #24
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Florio really should be posting on a discussion board instead of passing himself off as a source of information. He reads the same articles as us and comes to the same conclusion as some.

How is his opinion on this any more or less relevant than any poster here?

Acting like this is anything new or credible that is deserving a thread is ridiculous.

With that said...everything he says may, in fact, be true.
That probably used to be true but he now has become powerful in this arena. Tons of football people, agents, gms, scouts, players all admit the read his stuff. As that continued he started to meet contacts.

He has way more contacts then you and I and to suggest otherwise is pretty naive. He even had our old GM working for him last yr writing stories.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #25
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

No ****, and this is what it's been about since the begining.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote