The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,266

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default My Take on everything thus far.

TheReverand and some others have asked me privately what I think of everything. I recently sent him a PM, and he requested I post my response here, so here it is. Bear in mind this was before the Reggie Rivers report on the locker room situation.

I think we agree on the defensive coaching staff.

The offensive coaches are the best he could get, and this is largely a result of him running a system no one really uses. This means fewer coaches from this school of thought and therefore less talent. I'm not sold on the QB coach if Delhomme's play is any kind of a reflection of that. However I am sold on McDaniels in that department, so I'll accept it. I like that he kept Turner and Dennison, who have been the most talented offensive coaches since Kubiak left, so overall I think it looks good given what was available.

The free agent signings are, in terms of athleticism and talent, a lateral move with a few exceptions. I've said before it's not that much of an upgrade except for positions where we were so terrible that anything would be an upgrade (like safety). Basically I think we have a team that is roughly the same equivalent talent wise as the one before except that they can play a 3-4. The kicker is they are mostly all high character, high football IQ guys who are much bigger than our tiny team. I think with Nolan's coaching staff and a more consistent running game, we'll see a better defense in 2009. Really firing Slowik made everything better, but you know how I feel about that.

The firing of the Goodman's, the Leach/Paxton signing and Phifer on special teams are the moves thus far I disagree with. The Paxton thing just seemed completely unnecessary. He's the second highest paid long snapper in the league and it's not an area of need. Leach can at least play tight end fairly effectively and covers special teams. Paxton is solely a LS. It's stupid. I get he was the ST team captain but it just seemed like a "I don't know you, but I know this guy so you're outta here!"

Phifer fielded a very lousy special teams. Maybe McDaniels' overall philosophy will help the situation, because we know Shanahan's ST has been below average forever, but I don't expect the ST unit to be that great next year.

The Goodman's is actually the bad move i blame the FO the least on. My "sources" ( Just some guys connected to the team and in the press) here in town told me that the scouting department hated Jeff and he was something of a maverick. He also was threatening to be insubordinate to Xanders if he was promoted ahead of himself. Kind of a cool thing is Jim Goodman never wanted to be GM and liked his responsibilities just fine. Xanders and McDaniels hit it off and Xanders was promoted on McDaniels' recommendation. Jeff was fired because he was inept and probably wouldn't have worked for Xanders. Jim was let go because Bowlen knew Jim would leave anyway and it was a way to pay them the rest of their contracts.

I think that was mostly an instance of why nepotism can create serious problems. I don't have a great deal of confidence in Xanders, but his moves so far seem at least decent for what was available. I like the philosophy shift in find role players and making them do their role. The draft will give me a better feel.

Speaking of nepotism, McDaniels' brother being on the staff is not a problem for me. He's a gopher boy that wants to get into coaching. This happens all the time and he is literally the bottom wrung on the ladder. People bring this up just because it's one more way they can rip on him.

Overall I give him a B-. I think the two rookies botched the Cutler deal, but I also think they were being set up from the get-go and nothing would have made it ok. I think the defensive staff and retaining Dennison and Turner earn him props for being open minded. I dinged him for McCoy and Phifer.

The biggest thing is how everyone that talks to this guy, with the exception of Cutler, drinks the kool-aid. I think he has charisma and intelligence. Will that be enough? He's obviously made mistakes and will continue to make them as he learns. I think the Broncos are doing this the right way by letting him do it all his way, so we are giving him a fair shake. Like I said, there are things I don't agree with, but most of it I like where he's going. We'll see after the season ends where things are at.

Hopefully this will raise the level of discourse on the Mane.

Oh who am I kidding?

Last edited by Kaylore; 03-16-2009 at 02:23 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,527

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

Good thoughts Kaylore. I haven't heard much of how the players are responding to Mcdaniels outside of the Cutler fiasco... so it's good to know that the kool aid is being drunk...even if it's being sipped slowly.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,704

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

"TheReverand"
That's redicules!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,704

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

PS. I requested that he post this on the main board because I thought it was a very well thought out POV.

I still think he's bat **** crazy for thinking this way.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 55,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

My favorite thing about what is coming together is (if Dumervil is any indication) the guys on the D are excited about Nolan coming in and the formation of a new defensive philosophy. I really couldn't take another year of ****ty defense. I'd end up like SoCal.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,181

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

My take:

Donks are ****ed.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
My take:

Donks are ****ed.

Shut the **** up fat man this is none of your goddamned business...



Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
smalltowngrll
Orange
 
smalltowngrll's Avatar
 
Blue

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 7,942

Adopt-a-Bronco:
dortoh
Default

Thanks for posting this Kaylore!

I've purposely chosen to stay out of all the crazy opinion threads out there because I wanted to keep a clear thought on this and not get caught up in the crap mud slinging.

Thanks for the clear and objective thoughts!!
smalltowngrll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,181

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Shut the **** up fat man this is none of your goddamned business...



If that's how McDaniels greeted Cutler you can see why they're having problems...
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
worm
Great moments are born...
 
worm's Avatar
 
...from great opportunity

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,899

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Speaking of nepotism, McDaniels' brother being on the staff is not a problem for me. He's a gopher boy that wants to get into coaching. This happens all the time and he is literally the bottom wrung on the ladder. People bring this up just because it's one more way they can rip on him.
You think it happens all the time that a young rookie coach brings in his even younger brother from a HS coaching gig? I don't care of it is a coordinator position or the waterboy. It doesn't happen like this 'all the time'.

That said, I don't think it is THAT big of a deal...but Josh should be trying to do it cleaner and better than anybody right now. He should THINK about the ramifications of his actions. Everything he does will be scrutinized.

The accountability that he is preaching INCLUDES himself. Why even give the appearance that he is looking for 'yes' men?

Cassel over Cutler
Lonnie over Leech
Xanders over Goodman
His brother over some other smart intern

As they say down here. McD is 'messy'.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,721

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

I give McD an A-.

Doing SOMETHING about the defense earns him huge props. The Goodmans? Not his fault apparently, besides they were overrated. Dawkins was a great signing. Even if its only for a 2 year period or so, its one less area we need to focus on in the draft and its a HUGE upgrade over the **** we put on the field last year. From talent to leadership, we just got better.

My only issue thus far has been Leach, but who knows, that may not be a bad move either.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
You think it happens all the time that a young rookie coach brings in his even younger brother from a HS coaching gig? I don't care of it is a coordinator position or the waterboy. It doesn't happen like this 'all the time'.

That said, I don't think it is THAT big of a deal...but Josh should be trying to do it cleaner and better than anybody right now. He should THINK about the ramifications of his actions. Everything he does will be scrutinized.

The accountability that he is preaching INCLUDES himself. Why even give the appearance that he is looking for 'yes' men?

Cassel over Cutler
Lonnie over Leech
Xanders over Goodman
His brother over some other smart intern

As they say down here. McD is 'messy'.


Actually it does happen more often than you think. Its more publicized in college football but it does happen in the pros. And I hardly think allowing your brother to be a go-fer is screaming deep seeded nepotism, and how do you know how smart his brother is/isnt. Sometimes family is the BEST person for the job.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
The MVPlaya
Denver Broncos
 
The MVPlaya's Avatar
 
out with the old, IN WITH THE NEW

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 5,372
Default

You have to take into consideration that Cutler and McDaniels never had a real one on one talk. Agents were always there.

That take away the true essence of the meeting/talk. There are some things McDaniels can/cannot say in front of an agent, same as Cutler. Agent is only there to see the $ out of the situation.

I think they need some alone time.
The MVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
worm
Great moments are born...
 
worm's Avatar
 
...from great opportunity

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,899

Adopt-a-Bronco:
#20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Actually it does happen more often than you think. Its more publicized in college football but it does happen in the pros. And I hardly think allowing your brother to be a go-fer is screaming deep seeded nepotism, and how do you know how smart his brother is/isnt. Sometimes family is the BEST person for the job.

His brother is the best person to be a go-fer? Did you mean to put a smiley in there?

However, I do agree that this is not 'screaming deep seated nepotism'. Also not a huge issue...just one more brick on the wall.

I just want to see Josh do it smarter, better and cleaner than his more seasoned peers. He needs to gain the respect (and yes, Kaylore...even trust) of the locker room as quickly as possible.

He is fighting his age and his coaching tenure already. Why make it even harder when you do things that can be PERCEIVED as less than honorable?
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer
 
illbroncsfn's Avatar
 
adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Land o' Lincoln
Posts: 4,021
Default

Kaylore-

Correct me as I may be off here, but I believe your problem is w/Priefer (former KC ST coach) and Phifer - as in Roman- assistant LB coach.

And you are pleased we retained Dennison- not Bates- correct?

I appreciate your resources and insights.....
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #16
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
12 straight road division wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,266

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbroncsfn View Post
Kaylore-

Correct me as I may be off here, but I believe your problem is w/Priefer (former KC ST coach) and Phifer - as in Roman- assistant LB coach.

And you are pleased we retained Dennison- not Bates- correct?

I appreciate your resources and insights.....
Yes you have it right and my apologies for mixing their names up. Bates staying may have been nice, but I knew it wouldn't work with him having to take a diminished role. I honestly got sick of some of the play calling (bubble screens!) so I think he was good, but not as awesome as people want him to be. He chose to go to USC and I wish him the best except I hope his team gets the clap.

Last edited by Kaylore; 03-16-2009 at 10:48 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #17
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 11,209

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

As far as the free agent signings we have made, I think we have done well enough. We have gotten guys with good character and intelligence and added some leadership. Over all I think we should have gotten at least one difference maker for the defense, but I am happy that we didn't go overboard and overpaid badly for any player.

I think getting in Paxton was a bit of a silly move, a long snapper doesn't win super bowls, he is just there. I was worried it would happen that we would pick up players Mcdaniels was familiar with for no reason, and I think it creates a feeling in the locker room that Paxton is protected because he knows Mcdaniels, I think Gaffney will be the same way. I think it will create animosity that some people seem to be favoured because they have the background.

I understand the Goodman move, I don't agree with it, but I understand it. What I don't understand is why we didn't try to bring in a senior guy who could bring the experience in how to handle some things. I think we got bitten really bad because Mcdaniels and Xanders have no experience in running a team and they made some rookie mistakes because of it. If we had a vice-GM or director of pro personnel or something who could have been with them and helped out with the foot work I think we could have avoided quite a bit of pain.

The one thing that I am not sure about is how the locker room will react to what has happened so far. Leach getting replaced and the Cutler debacle, I think there is a very real danger that some players will look at those things and say that if Mcdaniels will go after those players and try to replace them with guys he knows who may not even be better, then how can he really be trusted? I am worried that too many players will be apprehensive when dealing with Mcdaniels and I think that there will be a lot of players who will be happy to be "unnamed" sources whenever there is a rift in the room.

I am pretty happy with the coaching staff, it seems to be a reasonably good crowd with a mixed background. The two things I worry about the most is Nolans ambitions and the special teams. I am worried that Nolan will use this job as a stepping stone to more HC interviews, if he manages to turn our defense into an average or above average unit he could use that to get some interviews. I don't think there will be much improvement on special teams, I am worried it will be more of the same.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #18
HEAV
Ring of Famer
 
HEAV's Avatar
 
It's about the Team

Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Ville
Posts: 12,040

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default

HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #19
Merlin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,794
Default

Kaylore,

Bates was constructively dismissed, which is just a step better than wrongful dismissal. Although I'm not sure how it applies in sports, in the normal work environment constructively dismissal is tantamount to dismissal without reason which gives workers legal avenues for remedies.

I'm guessing you like MacD as an offencive coordinator (I actually prefer his style to Bates', because I felt the latter was given Cutler far too much freedom), if that is the case, then he was never intending to keep Bates in his capacity as OC. My point is, I'm not sure what you mean that you liked that he kept Bates. From a practical point of view he dismissed Bates by forcing him out.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #20
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,424
Default

Good thoughts, Khan. On McCoy, I wasn't thrilled with him either, but it is understandable from this perspective: McD said from day one that he's calling the plays. So, the OC is essentially going to be "in-name-only." That makes it extremely unlikely that a proven commodity was going to be willing to except such a role. Delhomme's crappy play certainly makes you question McCoy, but sometimes these things are beyond a coaches control. Plus, McCoy is in his early 30s and could be viewed as a guy you can groom into a top notch play-caller down the road. Anyway, just some thoughts on that. I agree on Pfieffer, didn't get that hire at all, though again sometimes circumstances can be beyond a coaches control. Jim Bates and Scott O'Brien were both considered top notch coaches who produced terrible results while in Denver probably due more to circumstance than that they were bad coaches. So, that could be the case with Pfieffer. We'll see.

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 03-16-2009 at 11:06 AM..
BroncoInferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #21
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,978

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Fact is we were Rebuilding no matter if Cutler was going to stay or leave.

It just makes the Rebuilding process even more painful without a Probowl QB at the helm.

We are starting from scratch people. It will get ugly before it gets pretty.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #22
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,334
Default

Great post Kay and I agree pretty close to 100%.

I understand the Paxton signing because like you said, he was an STs captain in NE. McDaniels knows he bring the kind of attitude and mentality he wants to promote on the team. Even if its 95% likely that Leach could have as well, Leach would still be feeling out the situation with the rest of the old guard initially. McDaniels needs guys who set the tone he wants from day one.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,704

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

By all means, add "spineless" to my list of McDaniels gripes.

Holding a presser, delaying it 30 minutes, and then sending Kenny Peterson to address the media. Wow. Just wow.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #24
socalorado
Ring of Famer
 
socalorado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
By all means, add "spineless" to my list of McDaniels gripes.

Holding a presser, delaying it 30 minutes, and then sending Kenny Peterson to address the media. Wow. Just wow.
On that note, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, you POS, D-BAG!!!!
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #25
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer
 
Pontius Pirate's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 'Nam
Posts: 1,776
Default

Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Denver Broncos