The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Rivers: McDaniels sabotaged credibility in the locker room with Leach/Paxton swapping

I've spoken to several Broncos players who believe that McDaniels sabotaged his credibility in the locker room when he cut long-snapper Mike Leach and signed former Patriots long-snapper Lonnie Paxton to a $2 million contract.

Leach has proven to be among the most reliable snappers in the NFL, and replacing him seemed completely unnecessary and out of step with the message that a new coach should be sending to his team.

The players who were drafted or signed by the previous coach want to believe that the new coach will judge them based on their ability to perform on the field. But when McDaniels got rid of Leach it sent a very clear message that no matter how well the veterans performed, the new coach would cut them and pay more money to get players with whom he was more familiar.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/trade.....2.960109.html
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

I agree... I've liked McD and X's moves this off season, but I have not been able to understand this one at all. It definitely sends a signal (along with the Cassel fiasco) that McD is saying he'd be more comfortable with his old guys than whatever the Broncos have... which in turn sends the signal that this coach may not quite be comfortable in the role he is supposed to be playing with this team.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:06 AM   #3
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Yeah, this one still has me puzzled.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
lex
Ring of Famer

The Broncos have been DisemBowlened

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
I've spoken to several Broncos players who believe that McDaniels sabotaged his credibility in the locker room when he cut long-snapper Mike Leach and signed former Patriots long-snapper Lonnie Paxton to a $2 million contract.

Leach has proven to be among the most reliable snappers in the NFL, and replacing him seemed completely unnecessary and out of step with the message that a new coach should be sending to his team.

The players who were drafted or signed by the previous coach want to believe that the new coach will judge them based on their ability to perform on the field. But when McDaniels got rid of Leach it sent a very clear message that no matter how well the veterans performed, the new coach would cut them and pay more money to get players with whom he was more familiar.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/trade.....2.960109.html
Again, nice work, Pat. Just keep pretending that Jay is the one who is ****ed up.
lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I can roll with this theory. Really, the ONLY public negative comments about McDaniels from a player, other than Cutler, came from Stokely regarding Leach's release.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

i'm on McD's side regarding McJayGate, but i also think that the Leach/Paxton swap is a completely legit issue for the rest of the locker room to be concerned about. there was something about it that rubbed me wrong.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

and leach was cheaper.
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

This is one of the moves that I didn't agree with. And I could see why the players would take issue with it. Leach is a really good guy and he plays hard, was a good long snapper and a decent Tight end. Paxton is a team leader but he doesn't have Leach's covering ability or his ability to actually play another position. It was a BS move.

That said, I have trouble believing the entire locker room is ready to mutiny over it. I am not surprised that more veterans have spoken out against Leach leaving than Cutler, though. If you guys only knew...

Last edited by Kaylore; 03-16-2009 at 01:51 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

The only logical reason I could justify for the move is that McDaniels would rather keep an emergency guard active on gameday versus an emergency tight end.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
i'm on McD's side regarding McJayGate, but i also think that the Leach/Paxton swap is a completely legit issue for the rest of the locker room to be concerned about. there was something about it that rubbed me wrong.
I'm with you 100% on that. Absolutely spot on.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The only logical reason I could justify for the move is that McDaniels would rather keep an emergency guard active on gameday versus an emergency tight end.
Or that McDaniels knows Paxton brings the kind of locker room character and mentality he wants to instill.

Leach probably would, sure. But he knows Paxton will, and its at a position where even an "overpay" is peanuts compared to other players.

That and Leach is near the end of his career whereas Paxton is three years younger and therefore better suited to being here through the entire rebuilding effort.

There are a lot of reasons for it. I'm sure guys like Stokley don't like it because Leach was their friend and they, as similarly second tier veterans feel threatened themselves, but thats the reality of any coaching changeover. Anyone who takes issue with it doesn't belong on the team.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #12
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

This was a great tone that McD set for the Broncos. I wonder why guys have a tough time respecting what he has done. We've become a freaking disgrace, thanks Bowlen you friggin idiot
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
That's the only thing that makes sense to me either, and in my mind, that isn't a significant enough reason to make the swap.

The proof is in the pudding, but it's the weirdest of all the moves.
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
worm
Great moments are born...

...from great opportunity

Adopt-a-Bronco:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Or that McDaniels knows Paxton brings the kind of locker room character and mentality he wants to instill.

Leach probably would, sure. But he knows Paxton will, and its at a position where even an "overpay" is peanuts compared to other players.

That and Leach is near the end of his career whereas Paxton is three years younger and therefore better suited to being here through the entire rebuilding effort.

There are a lot of reasons for it. I'm sure guys like Stokley don't like it because Leach was their friend and they, as similarly second tier veterans feel threatened themselves, but thats the reality of any coaching changeover. Anyone who takes issue with it doesn't belong on the team.
Dude. Please.

I agree that Josh wanted him more for the reasons that you outlined here (as has been said many times) over needing a backup guard.

However, beyond being a friend of Leech's I think EVERY player wants to feel that they will be evaluated for job retention based on what they do on the field. People want to feel that it is more important 'how you play' than 'who you know'.

Josh has set precedents that that is not the case.
worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #15
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

players play. they do not get paid to criticize personnel moves, let alone talk to the media about the ones they don't agree with. the move was two fold: first, it established a culture that change is coming to bronco-land. the players can either embrace full-scale changes and a new culture, or they can leave. second, paxton has super bowl rings and has snapped for some of the biggest kicks in nfl history--he's shown his mettle and worth. leach is good, but paxton is prolly better as a snapper and as a utility player.

this isn't shanny's team anymore, and the players need to understand this immediately. if they feel like they will be cut for someone better, they will either improve or fail. either way, mcd's been given the same latitude that mike shanahan was given when he came in. shanny cleaned out the dead wood but luckily had plenty in the cupboard when he got there on both sides of the ball, and special teams.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #16
SoDak Bronco
Lace em' up and lets go!!

Von Miller aka QB Killa

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers

Quote:

Honestly, how are you justifying this move You are sending the wrong message by overpaying a LS and releasing a guy that was a great in the lockerroom. And three years younger, it is Long Snapping who the hell cares, Leach signed a 3 year contract with the Cards, he can play atleast 5 more years. This is just another example of MCD trying to get "his guys" in a position that didn't need to be touched. We have so many holes on this team but he decides to sign a LS, to a record signing bonus contract. Also, QB we were fine for the next 5 years, and he has fugged that all up now.
SoDak Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #17
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

I guess there is more than one immature player on the roster
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #18
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Every new head coach does it from Parcells (when he was still coaching) on down.

If a player has a problem with it then they can get the hell out of Denver, and that goes twice for the defense.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #19
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
I agree... I've liked McD and X's moves this off season, but I have not been able to understand this one at all. It definitely sends a signal (along with the Cassel fiasco) that McD is saying he'd be more comfortable with his old guys than whatever the Broncos have... which in turn sends the signal that this coach may not quite be comfortable in the role he is supposed to be playing with this team.
Great post, and spot on.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #20
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
Dude. Please.

I agree that Josh wanted him more for the reasons that you outlined here (as has been said many times) over needing a backup guard.

However, beyond being a friend of Leech's I think EVERY player wants to feel that they will be evaluated for job retention based on what they do on the field. People want to feel that it is more important 'how you play' than 'who you know'.

Josh has set precedents that that is not the case.
Lonnie Paxton is one of the best long snappers in the league, FYI. He's been long snapping basically his entire life. I'd personally say he's actually an upgrade over Leach, as hard as it might be for some around here to believe that.

Is it an upgrade worth the $1M signing bonus? Probably not, but thats why the other things come into play.

Any veteran saying this is a "double standard" that proves its about who you know and not how you play is just someone scared about losing their job. Stokley immediately comes to mind, since Gaffney knows the offense and is in prime position to take his job. I'm willing to bet that if he isn't the only source for this article, he's one of the primary sources.

A lot of the vets on this roster got real comfortable never having to compete for their jobs with Shanahan. Now that the situation has been turned on its ear and they aren't the pets of the coaching staff suddenly they're crying foul.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:53 AM   #21
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
That does make sense seeing as how McD doesnt really use TEs very much. Still, Leech has to be one of the best long snappers in the NFL and was cheaper so I agree with most here in that the move was odd.

I do however, understand that for the most part, coaches want guys they are familiar with. Kubiak did the same thing in Houston, and most coaches in a new job will do it too. You cant blame McDaniels for doing what everyone else is doing I dont think. That doesnt mean its always the best decision, as coaches can sometimes let familiarity take precedence over skill, but you really cant blame him for doing what they all do.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Lonnie Paxton is one of the best long snappers in the league, FYI. He's been long snapping basically his entire life. I'd personally say he's actually an upgrade over Leach, as hard as it might be for some around here to believe that.

Is it an upgrade worth the $1M signing bonus? Probably not, but thats why the other things come into play.

Any veteran saying this is a "double standard" that proves its about who you know and not how you play is just someone scared about losing their job. Stokley immediately comes to mind, since Gaffney knows the offense and is in prime position to take his job. I'm willing to bet that if he isn't the only source for this article, he's one of the primary sources.

A lot of the vets on this roster got real comfortable never having to compete for their jobs with Shanahan. Now that the situation has been turned on its ear and they aren't the pets of the coaching staff suddenly they're crying foul.
The sentence in bold is hilarious!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #23
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Got to say this has more of in impact than I thought and it sucks. It was a bad move by McD. I still think he can be a great coach but obviously he is going to alienate veterans on this team with moves like this. That and he obviously is not communicating something right to Jay Cutler. I think that you have to take what both sides have said and find a middle. Both are jockying to be right in this and both probably have valid points.

But the time has come to either say Jay Cutler you are our guy we apologize for how we handled the trade proposal.

or

Jay we will do our best to honor your trade request as we feel this situation is too fractured.

But its time to end it, STAT.

Call me wishy washy all you want as I have been a staunch Cutler critic in this. I still think he needs to grow up but obviously he is not getting the point the Broncos say they are going to make.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #24
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

How do you compete for a job in march. Please i would love to hear the reasoning on this. It wasnt broke. DONT FIX IT. fix the ****ing Defense
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Leach was so small he was getting manhandled on coverage so I'm not surprised Mcdaniels went with a bigger player he knows well. Even crying about a long snapper is a joke. Obviously the Broncos were a very soft team. They complain and cry about not getting cake before practice.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote