The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Default Beuerlein/Shanahan > McDaniels/Cutler

I've intentionally said almost nothing about CutlerMcDanielGate because there's so much speculation and talk about the whole thing.

But after Cutler's meeting with McDaniels and how the situation is STILL not resolved I just wanted to say one thing:

Quote:
Beuerlein to return for 17th season
By John Marshall, The Associated Press
DENVER — Denver Broncos quarterback Steve Beuerlein will return for a 17th season.
Beuerlein said just three weeks ago that he was leaning toward retirement after his third season with the Broncos, but changed his mind after talking to coach Mike Shanahan.

Shanahan flew to Charlotte, N.C., to visit Beuerlein and his family on March 7, a day after the Broncos signed free agent quarterback Jake Plummer.

"Steve Beuerlein told me the day after the league meetings ended last week that he was returning to play this season," Shanahan said in a statement.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...euerlein_x.htm

Quote:

The Broncos told Beuerlein they wanted him back, a point driven home by coach Mike Shanahan on a trip to Beuerlein's home in Charlotte, N.C. -- a day after the Broncos signed Plummer on March 7.

"That went a long way for me in making my decision. It meant the world," Beuerlein said. "I don't if it's unprecedented or not, but I know that it doesn't happen very often. For him to make that effort to convince me that I was that important to this organization meant a lot to me and made me look at a totally different perspective."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo..._beuerlein_ap/

This isn't a franchise stud QB but a freakin' backup nearing retirement. Shanahan personally flew out to his home to talk to him as soon as Plummer was signed to let Steve know he was still needed. I think Mike did it again with other players as well (Lynch).

>>>>The point is simple. I'm not saying Shanahan is a better coach, McDaniels sucks etc etc, but there's a way to handling important players in the team and no matter what anyone says nothing good comes out of talking about trading players behind their back. Not now, not in the past, not ever.

Seriously, what the hell did he expect to happen when discussing these trades?

Even with the situation getting worse ALL IT TAKES is for McDaniels to call Jay, sit down and just reassure him that he wants Jay in Denver. That is all.

I expect players to b*tch and moan about their contracts, the way they're handled etc etc. Every star player does it, but I didn't expect the new HC to come in and start a d*ck measuring contest with our franchise QB.

McDaniels is an a$$hole for screwing this up.
Jay is an a$$hole for not being mature enough to deal with it.

Frankly, at this point, I'm not sure I want either one of these douche bags in Denver.

Last edited by fontaine; 03-16-2009 at 06:14 AM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
Tankgunner95
Hell yea I want some PIE!

Oh its true

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Cartman

Good Post!!!! I agree with you 100%, I thnk we are on the way to a 4-12 season. With Simms being our starter, if big Cutler wants out, let him have his way, or I'd like to crawl in the same snuggie with it put him on the bench behind simms and let the season start see how he likes that ****. I have supported Cutler since he was at VANDY. He is a winner, he let his feelings and his agent get too much involved in this situation. I think Coach and Cutler needs to have just a one on one meeting like shanny did.
Tankgunner95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

I can't believe I'm starting to move towards backing the organization in this drama.
Cutler really just needs to shut his mouth and come to work.
Imagine if anyone of us tried to pull this crap at our jobs.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

hh... that wasn't about trading Jake, or benching him. That was about a long time friend of Shanahan that knew his system being the backup and to help Jake's learning process--the latter obviously didn't work out so well.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Good take Fontaine!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
hh... that wasn't about trading Jake, or benching him. That was about a long time friend of Shanahan that knew his system being the backup and to help Jake's learning process--the latter obviously didn't work out so well.

You're right ofcourse. But the common thing in both situations is that Shanahan WANTED Beuerlein, just like McDaniels said he looked forward to coaching Jay.

One coach went as far as personally seeing the QB in his home hours after he had signed Plummer, the other coach gets involved in a trade for a high profile QB then tells lies/half truths about it and doesn't clear the air with Jay until the situation gets worse and worse.

McDaniels moves so far on this issue are amatuerish and he got caught out of his depth and looks like an a$$hole not just to Jay but to his players as well.

Jays moves so far have been to whine and complain in public to the media about the owies and ouchies he's had to suffer because of the big bad new coach and he looks like an a$$hole for wanting a trade now.

I don't trust either guy now to do what's best for the franchise.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
You're right ofcourse. But the common thing in both situations is that Shanahan WANTED Beuerlein, just like McDaniels said he looked forward to coaching Jay.

One coach went as far as personally seeing the QB in his home hours after he had signed Plummer, the other coach gets involved in a trade for a high profile QB then tells lies/half truths about it and doesn't clear the air with Jay until the situation gets worse and worse.

McDaniels moves so far on this issue are amatuerish and he got caught out of his depth and looks like an a$$hole not just to Jay but to his players as well.

Jays moves so far have been to whine and complain in public to the media about the owies and ouchies he's had to suffer because of the big bad new coach and he looks like an a$$hole for wanting a trade now.

I don't trust either guy now to do what's best for the franchise.
I think if this were about trading a 6th or a 7th for Matt Cassell to play backup and help Jay learn the system, then you'd totally be onto something.

However, it's not so I really don't see how this applies what so ever.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

No offense, I'm just not seeing the parralllel.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Imagine it you where your organizations most important piece. Feeling like this is your team. Then they hire a hot shot middle manager and he treats you like an interchangeble part. I would probably start looking for another job also. Just my opinion...
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
Meck77

Quote:
No offense, I'm just not seeing the parralllel.
Me neither. This Cutler situation reminds me of when Clinton wanted to be shown the money.......Instead he was shown the door.

Longhorn......I'm going to have to just keep repeating this. This isn't about feelings. It's about money. Cutler just won't say it.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #11
Drek
Ring of Famer

Cutler said in a media interview mere hours after this story broke that he didn't want to talk to the FO.

So what was McDaniels supposed to do? Fly there and just keep knocking on the door? Sounds like it would've been a wasted trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Me neither. This Cutler situation reminds me of when Clinton wanted to be shown the money.......Instead he was shown the door.

Longhorn......I'm going to have to just keep repeating this. This isn't about feelings. It's about money. Cutler just won't say it.
Pretty much the perfect analogous situation right there.

I just hope it works out as well and we get a Champ level stud for him.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #12
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Cutler said in a media interview mere hours after this story broke that he didn't want to talk to the FO.

So what was McDaniels supposed to do? Fly there and just keep knocking on the door? Sounds like it would've been a wasted trip.
Huh? Jay said after the Monday meeting that he was still expecting a call from McDaniels I thought?

And the point was to talk to Jay BEFORE the story broke and not after it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Pretty much the perfect analogous situation right there.

I just hope it works out as well and we get a Champ level stud for him.
Not at all. With Portis it was clear from both sides. One wanted a new contract and REQUESTED IT and the other side said Portis was under contract so it wasn't going to happen.

Look, I completely understand the need for people to say it's all about money etc etc. But there's far more to it than that. I mean McDaniels has to be a really naive and dumb HC to keep talking about getting Jay on board and vice versa from Jay if the REAL issue is about a new contract. Sorry, I'm not buying all this being about just money.

IF that was the case then Jay/Bus could simply adopt the attitude that they need a new contract to see the committment or he wants out, but nothing like that has been said.

It's more about a new HC wanting to stamp his authority on the team even when he's made a mistake, and a franchise QB wanting to be treated like that.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
Merlin
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Actually, you are making his argument for him. He's pointing out that Shanny went out of his way for appease a player that was important but not critical to the team. Conversely MacD has shown little if any instinct to appease a player that is critical to the team. Despite what all the blowhards argue regarding Cutler's sensitivities, all people need to be managed to certain degree, especially the primadona stars of the NFL which Cutler has become (by def. a starting QB is a star, much more a pro-bowl QB).

If MacD had show half the foresight in managing Cutler that Shanny showed in managing B. none of this would have come to pass. Lastly, any idiot who did what he did with the LS shows he has VERY LITTLE understanding of the dynamics of team behaviour and he is just trying to paint by numbers a la Belicheat.

PS, AM I the only one that thinks we way overpaid for Simms or did I miss the threads in my absence?

Last edited by Merlin; 03-16-2009 at 10:19 AM..
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Great thread Fontaine!

The fact is that we have a 32 year old HC who has only been an OC (offically) for 3 years. He went to a SB as OC but was out coached by an underdog.

Shanny worked as OC longer and for more teams, plus he was a HC at Oakland where he was able to learn what Didn't work.

We are allowing MickyD to find out things the hard way on our Dime.

It is clear he has a lot to learn. His way may have worked and been common back before the merger but this is 2009 and players in this media age are not going to be feed **** and eat willingly unless the HC is going to wipe their chin.

I hope they both come together and resolve this, if it isn't going to be resolved then trade him.

Either way I hope MickyD has learned what not to do, on our dime, so if this happens again he handles it better.

Last edited by broncosteven; 03-16-2009 at 12:12 PM..
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote