The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default Possible QB's we could draft.

Mark Sanchez, USC

Pros: Smart. Supposedly runs a pro offense. Prolific. Has the it factor. Stats were excellent.

Cons: Not so durable or athletic. Is a USC QB so is as much a benefactor of the system as a contributor. Doesn't have great arm strength. Little starting experience.

Josh Freeman

Pros: Strong arm. Makes all the throws. Great size. Pro-style offense.

Cons: Stares down his targets. Forces throws. Panics at times. (Sound familiar?)

Nate Davis

Pros: Accurate, smart, good arm. Makes good decisions. Great pocket awareness.

Cons: Small. Shortness will limit him. Didn't always play elite competition. Will require some grooming.

Possible later round value

Curtis Painter

Pros: Strong Mechanics, mobile, accuracy. Great size and fastest release in the draft.

Cons: Inconsistent, poor decision making. Seemed to get into a funk. Leadership ability questionable.

Painter is a guy I was really high on in 2007 and then something happened and he never recovered. I'd love to throw a late round pick at this kid if we haven't found anyone. I think in a few seasons he could be at least a decent back up.

Thoughts?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
summerdenver
Ring of Famer

Rebuilding both offense and defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I have seen 3-4 games of Georgia and I think both Stafford and Moreno will be successful pros in NFL. Staffprd is only 21 if he can go to team that will bring him along slowly he will be very good. He also ran pro style offense in school.

Sanchez to me is big risk as he is only one year starter and he already has a knee injury too. I don't like any of the other guys coming out of this years draft and if i had a choice I would try to get Kevin O Connel or Brian Brohm and groom them. I know Brohm had rough start but he is smart decision maker and IMO will be better bet than other guys in this draft.
summerdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

If we get a 2010 #1, how about McCoy or Bradford?
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerdenver View Post
I have seen 3-4 games of Georgia and I think both Stafford and Moreno will be successful pros in NFL. Staffprd is only 21 if he can go to team that will bring him along slowly he will be very good. He also ran pro style offense in school.

Sanchez to me is big risk as he is only one year starter and he already has a knee injury too. I don't like any of the other guys coming out of this years draft and if i had a choice I would try to get Kevin O Connel or Brian Brohm and groom them. I know Brohm had rough start but he is smart decision maker and IMO will be better bet than other guys in this draft.
Brian Brohm is a guy i liked a lot in College. i wouldn't mind trading a conditional 6th rounder that could turn into a 5th to get him as a possibility to be our future QB if Jay is traded
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
jgraves31
Just Drafted

Louisville Cardinal fan here. Watched every game of Brohm's career. I feel he was more a product of our system under Petrino. It was based on quick slant patterns and croosing routes, allowing Brohm to put up big numbers. I don't think he will have similar success in the NFL.
jgraves31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 AM   #6
chaz
highly touted recruit

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Bruton

Kaylore-Freeman panicking is supposed to remind me of who?? I was confused since our QB has been nothing but clutch in the 4th quarter with games on the line...maybe I'm missing something
chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:07 AM   #7
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

McDaniels seems to do well with USC quarterbacks...If that means anything.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:56 AM   #8
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Puke at all the those choices.

Might as well draft Stephen McGee from Texas AM. Who is creating a buzz accord to NFL channel with scouts.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:57 AM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

In the same conference with Colt McCoy, Graham Harrell, Sam Bradford, Josh Freeman and Chase Daniel, Texas A&M quarterback Stephen McGee was overshadowed before last season even began. He was all but forgotten after injuring his throwing shoulder. But Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak knew exactly who McGee was when the two ended up on the same plane flying to Indianapolis for the NFL Scouting Combine. McGee is the highest-rated A&M quarterback since Kubiak was an eighth-round pick of the Denver Broncos in 1983. Reggie McNeal was a sixth-round choice of the Cincinnati Bengals in 2006, but he was drafted as a receiver. "Stephen is a very athletic young man who has some problems this year injury-wise that held him back," Kubiak said. "But he’s got the ability, the athletic ability, the arm, the brain, the competitive nature to play in this league. "A lot of times you’ll see guys who go through rough spots like that in college, and all of a sudden, they’ll blossom when they get to our level. So it wouldn’t surprise me if he was able to do that. … I think he’s got a chance to be a very good player." - Charean Williams, Star-telegram
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:59 AM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraves31 View Post
Louisville Cardinal fan here. Watched every game of Brohm's career. I feel he was more a product of our system under Petrino. It was based on quick slant patterns and croosing routes, allowing Brohm to put up big numbers. I don't think he will have similar success in the NFL.
see i thought that and even in Petrino's system i felt he had good decision making ability, throws a really catchable ball, is accurate, and i think if used in a system like Gruden's in a true West Coast style offense he could be a really good QB to a team. possibly not for our offensive style under McDaniels, but i think he is a good QB and it wouldn't be a bad investment to trade for him and see if he has the tools to become our QBOTF or at the worst he is a serviceable backup.

although this is all contingent on my assuming that Jay is going to be traded within the next few weeks.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:31 AM   #11
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I'm not a big fan of any of the QBs in this class. Stafford reminds me of Cutler, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth at the moment. Sanchez actually reminds me a little of Kurt Warner. He's not impressive physically, but watching a few games and some youtube vids that show every pass in a game, he gets the ball out on time and puts it in spots where only his guy can go and get it.

I would have a difficult time stomaching either guy in the 1st round, but Sanchez would be a much better fit IMO for McDaniels offense.

Graham Harrel is a sleeper pick who has shown he can run the spread, and might last well into day 2.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:51 AM   #12
meangene
Ring of Famer

How about Nate Davis from Ball State? MAC player of the year who surprised by declaring after his junior year. Over 3,000 yards each of the last two years. Great leadership skills. Never even missed a practice. 6'2" 217 lbs. Big arm, good mobility.
meangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:03 AM   #13
meangene
Ring of Famer

Ball State QB Nate Davis Scouting Report
Height: 6-2, Weight: 217

Strengths: Tremendous arm strength…throws an excellent hard ball…athletically gifted and can move very well in the pocket…has some scrambling ability…has the skills to extend the play…throws from a variety of angles…as his career at Ball State progressed, as did his leadership abilities…just now scratching the surface of his professional potential…has an accurate deep ball and may stretch a defense more than any other QB prospect in this draft class…tons of upside here to like…

Weaknesses: Needs to continue to develop his accuracy, and throw the ball into tighter windows or he will not find success at the next level…playing at Ball State, the level of competition was not very good, so his production should be criticized somewhat…needs to develop more touch on his longer passes, can not gun the football on every toss…also needs to develop a better feel for the game and to get rid of the football on time on precision routes…do not expect a starting NFL QB in 2009…

Overall: The more film you watch on some prospects, the more scouts tend to sour on a prospect, Nate Davis is one of the unique prospects that are an exception to the rule. Nate Davis is going to take time to develop, but a development escalation the likes of 2008 rookie QB Joe Flacco is not out of the realm of possibility. Nate Davis is a strong armed, mentally tough prospect, who brings excellent intangibles to the table, yet a prospect who must develop an NFL level accuracy and is going to take time for refinement. Scouts opinions vary on Davis as much as any other prospect in the 2009 draft class, his name could be called anywhere from the latter portion of the 2nd round until the latter portion of the 3rd round.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:50 AM   #14
Drek
Ring of Famer

Todd Boeckman, QB, Ohio State.

He's got the size (6'4", 240) that McDaniels wants and a well rounded game. He's also a selfless team leader. He'd be Matt Cassel 2.0.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:03 AM   #15
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

ack. Cutler > all of those.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #16
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_7 View Post
ack. Cutler > all of those.

Well no ****, he's been in the league three years. But he pretty clearly doesn't give to ****s about the Denver Broncos.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:23 AM   #17
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Not a good situation. If cutler leaves that will set us back a good seven years.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:36 AM   #18
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Not a good situation. If cutler leaves that will set us back a good seven years.
I think there's several other threads on the front page about this, last time I checked. You go whine about the princess in those forums.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:50 AM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Seven years? We've only had Cutler for three.

It doesn't set the team back one bit. We've already got a solid replacement in Simms and he's actually gotten a team into the playoffs. The defense will improve, McDaniels' coaching will get better than 16th overall points production, and we'll be a better team in '09 than we were in '08 where it matters, in wins and losses.

Cutler's got great talent but the way some act here you'd think we were one of the best offenses in the league. By yardage we were impressive, but yards don't win games. Points do. And at that this offense was thoroughly mediocre.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 AM   #20
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I don't really see that. McD is bringing over a system that has been very successful with a 6th round draft pick and a guy that never started a game in college at QB. I trust him with QB's the way I trust Bobby Turner with RB's. He will find a guy that fits the system and the team concept and this TEAM will be better off for it. And, better sooner than people think.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:12 AM   #21
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

No successful QB will come out of the 2009 draft.

Stafford has more moodswings than a manic depressive PMSing.

Sanchez has one good year with the easiest team in the world to play for, he needs 2 or 3 years on the pine before he is ready to be very average.

Freeman is Jamarcus Russel without the big contract and with poor accuracy, a recipe for disaster.

Nate Davis is too short, he will be overwhelmed in the NFL by the level of the players and at how little he can see.

Painter has to sit on the bench for 10 to 15 years and then retire, any team he takes snaps for will lose. He is like Brett Favre without the accuracy, power and leadership, which really only leave the questionable decisions.

If you want a young QB get a senior next year, Bradford or Mccoy.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #22
want2bAbronco2
Pro Bowler

I would rather keep Jay, but if we can get a 1st this year and next I would love to get 1 of the QBs next year. 2-4 QBs coming out that I really like next year.
want2bAbronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #23
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

I'm not against taking our lumps this year as we fleshing things out and then drafting one next year. I do think if one falls to us, we have to take it. BPA.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #24
meangene
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'm not against taking our lumps this year as we fleshing things out and then drafting one next year. I do think if one falls to us, we have to take it. BPA.
Or, I wouldn't mind giving Brady Quinn a shot in this offense if we make a deal with Cleveland.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

If history is the judge, McD will want the guy who has the most accurate arm and the brains to do all the right pre-snap reads. Which one of these guys does that description fit the best? I would have to go with Sanchez.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: