The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
HEAV
Ring of Famer

It's about the Team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Sadly, it is time to trade Jay Cutler

Did it ever have to come to this? Did we ever have to reach the point where the Denver Broncos are going to be more or less forced to trade their Pro Bowl quarterback? Sadly, to paraphrase the TV commercials, “You know that place where the need for authority intersects with a star player’s hurt feelings? We’re so there.”

It doesn’t appear as if Jay Cutler is going to be able to work with Josh McDaniels. Ever. Both sides have made mistakes in this mess, but in the end, McDaniels is doing the right thing by standing firm and making sure everyone knows he’s in charge. Did he mishandle the whole Cutler-for-Matt Cassell thing? Probably. It was a bad idea, trying to acquire a guy who’s had one good year since high school and giving up a player who just made the Pro Bowl. That part of it aside, it would have been better to let Cutler know at the outset that no Bronco player was untouchable, and that while the team wasn’t looking to trade him, it was possible his name would come up and that’s just the way the business goes. Tell Cutler that ahead of time, and he’d have absolutely no grounds to be upset when it did happen.

On the other hand, McDaniels and the Bronco brass have to establish their authority, and they are absolutely right that in order to make the team better, they have to be willing to talk about any and every player on the roster if a name comes up in trade talks. Who cares who initiated the discussion? That’s all it is – a business discussion. They weren’t disrespecting Cutler in any way.

So now Cutler is PO’d, which is on him. As I - and dozens of others locally and nationally - pointed out right after the news of the trade talks first broke, he needs to grow up and act like a professional. Instead, he’s been at home pouting for two weeks. He won’t even come to Denver to meet McDaniels face to face. Cutler couldn’t have handled this worse. You can likely put a lot of it on his agent, Bus Cook (the same bozo who orchestrated the whole Brett Favre fiasco last summer). Cook has obviously filled Cutler with a lot of hot air. Put it this way, if the agent said, “Go to Denver and meet with your coach” Cutler would have been here a week ago. Instead, he’s been petulant and insubordinate.

So now we’ve reached the point where everyone’s has their “macho” up and there doesn’t seem to be any turning back. This time, I have to side with Denver Post columnist Mark Kisla. It doesn’t look like things will ever be what they need to be for Cutler and the new Denver Broncos regime. It’s time to make a trade.

The NFL Draft is coming up in a few weeks. That means it’s “trading season.” Call the Detroit Lions and make a deal to send Cutler and his baggage to Detroit (wow, talk about exile…) for the first pick in the draft and more. If you’re the Lions, and you’re considering drafting Georgia’s Matthew Stafford, why wouldn’t you take Cutler instead? Meanwhile, the Broncos can go out and grab a couple of studs with the top pick - and the 12th pick - to help the beleaguered defense. B.J. Raji from Boston College and Aaron Curry from Wake Forest would fit the bill nicely.

And the Broncos might as well get used to the idea of Chris Simms under center, at least for awhile. Hey, they seemed willing to give the keys to someone named Matt Cassell, right? Simms has a better pedigree than Cassell, and if McDaniels can ‘coach him up’ as they say, he could be just fine. We’ll…okay at least.

The Broncos rebuilding job is just starting under McDaniels. With or without Cutler, they’re no threat to make the play-offs next season. What the new coach needs for success in the long run is players who believe and want to be with him in Denver. Cutler no longer fits that description.

-Mark Knudson

http://www.examiner.com/x-2170-Color...ade-Jay-Cutler
HEAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Mark Knudson is a hack.
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Yep, Raji and Curry will both be there at #12 for the Broncos to pick.

Stick to baseball and CSU Knudson and let everyone else talk about the Broncos.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I think Heav owes me money for reading this ............
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

A lot of "spot on" takes in that article, although I believe Jay's behavior in the last couple of months has lowered his trade value. Some might say that the Lions would be stupid to part with high picks for a guy with such obvious deficits in maturity and leadership.

I also think that the trade value for Jay was pretty much established by the failed discussions with the Patriots. If the Broncos' front office was willing to accept a swap of 1st round picks, plus another pick outside the 1st round, I don't see the offers going up from there.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I'd like to throw a cobra at his midsection
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
SureShot
Hurry! Hurry!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I'd like to throw a cobra at his midsection
A cobra with AIDS!
SureShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEAV View Post
Did it ever have to come to this? Did we ever have to reach the point where the Denver Broncos are going to be more or less forced to trade their Pro Bowl quarterback? Sadly, to paraphrase the TV commercials, “You know that place where the need for authority intersects with a star player’s hurt feelings? We’re so there.”

It doesn’t appear as if Jay Cutler is going to be able to work with Josh McDaniels. Ever. Both sides have made mistakes in this mess, but in the end, McDaniels is doing the right thing by standing firm and making sure everyone knows he’s in charge. Did he mishandle the whole Cutler-for-Matt Cassell thing? Probably. It was a bad idea, trying to acquire a guy who’s had one good year since high school and giving up a player who just made the Pro Bowl. That part of it aside, it would have been better to let Cutler know at the outset that no Bronco player was untouchable, and that while the team wasn’t looking to trade him, it was possible his name would come up and that’s just the way the business goes. Tell Cutler that ahead of time, and he’d have absolutely no grounds to be upset when it did happen.

On the other hand, McDaniels and the Bronco brass have to establish their authority, and they are absolutely right that in order to make the team better, they have to be willing to talk about any and every player on the roster if a name comes up in trade talks. Who cares who initiated the discussion? That’s all it is – a business discussion. They weren’t disrespecting Cutler in any way.

So now Cutler is PO’d, which is on him. As I - and dozens of others locally and nationally - pointed out right after the news of the trade talks first broke, he needs to grow up and act like a professional. Instead, he’s been at home pouting for two weeks. He won’t even come to Denver to meet McDaniels face to face. Cutler couldn’t have handled this worse. You can likely put a lot of it on his agent, Bus Cook (the same bozo who orchestrated the whole Brett Favre fiasco last summer). Cook has obviously filled Cutler with a lot of hot air. Put it this way, if the agent said, “Go to Denver and meet with your coach” Cutler would have been here a week ago. Instead, he’s been petulant and insubordinate.

So now we’ve reached the point where everyone’s has their “macho” up and there doesn’t seem to be any turning back. This time, I have to side with Denver Post columnist Mark Kisla. It doesn’t look like things will ever be what they need to be for Cutler and the new Denver Broncos regime. It’s time to make a trade.

The NFL Draft is coming up in a few weeks. That means it’s “trading season.” Call the Detroit Lions and make a deal to send Cutler and his baggage to Detroit (wow, talk about exile…) for the first pick in the draft and more. If you’re the Lions, and you’re considering drafting Georgia’s Matthew Stafford, why wouldn’t you take Cutler instead? Meanwhile, the Broncos can go out and grab a couple of studs with the top pick - and the 12th pick - to help the beleaguered defense. B.J. Raji from Boston College and Aaron Curry from Wake Forest would fit the bill nicely.

And the Broncos might as well get used to the idea of Chris Simms under center, at least for awhile. Hey, they seemed willing to give the keys to someone named Matt Cassell, right? Simms has a better pedigree than Cassell, and if McDaniels can ‘coach him up’ as they say, he could be just fine. We’ll…okay at least.

The Broncos rebuilding job is just starting under McDaniels. With or without Cutler, they’re no threat to make the play-offs next season. What the new coach needs for success in the long run is players who believe and want to be with him in Denver. Cutler no longer fits that description.

-Mark Knudson

http://www.examiner.com/x-2170-Color...ade-Jay-Cutler
Quoting the Denve Pile is bad writing. I can see Knudson's point, but he should have sourced the OMane. I'd have more respect for the guy.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 'Dre View Post
A lot of "spot on" takes in that article, although I believe Jay's behavior in the last couple of months has lowered his trade value. Some might say that the Lions would be stupid to part with high picks for a guy with such obvious deficits in maturity and leadership.

I also think that the trade value for Jay was pretty much established by the failed discussions with the Patriots. If the Broncos' front office was willing to accept a swap of 1st round picks, plus another pick outside the 1st round, I don't see the offers going up from there.
I wouldnt put much stock on the truth , this sounds more media stirred up and driven , then the actual parties involved .......
Chances are both parties read a piece like this and say what in the hell.... I didnt say that like that .
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Hack or not, that article is on the mark. He hit the nail on the head. Not sure I want the 1st overall pick in the draft though. It would be nice if there was a sure fire can't miss skill position player, but there isn't. It would be nice if there wasn't 5 first round caliber OTs... but there are. The #1 overall is going to get paid too much money. When the #1 pick makes more than guys like Champ Bailey, something is wrong. And, I don't think anybody is going to trade for it. IF we could trade down a bit, I'd do it in a heart beat. Even taking a little less value would be okay with me. Send it to someone like the Seahawks for the 5th, and a swap of picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I don't care as long as we're not trapped with the pick and having to pay anyone the kind of $$$ the #1 demands!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Yep, Raji and Curry will both be there at #12 for the Broncos to pick.

Stick to baseball and CSU Knudson and let everyone else talk about the Broncos.
He meant with the #12 and #1.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #12
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
A cobra with a 15 inch dick with AIDS!
Fixed!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

so sad
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
JCMElway
Moderate-erator

Dominate!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg

Wow. If we got Curry and Raji that would be worth this whole fiasco.

I still say taking detroit's #2 pick this year and their number #1 next year would work out nicely as well. I would not mind seeing Colt McCoy or Sam Bradford under center.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #15
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

say what you want, but at this point i think it's time to trade Jay...

i'd prefer to win with the guy, but i don't think it's a good idea to go into the draft and beyond with this internal rift...

this is a time of big change for the Broncos and we have to be a united front in order to pull this transition off...

so regardless of who is right or wrong, this team needs to make the best of the current situation, and i think it is to get great value for Cutler to improve the team in other areas and develop another QB to run the team for right now...even if that person is Chris Simms...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKIE!!! View Post
Hack or not, that article is on the mark. He hit the nail on the head. Not sure I want the 1st overall pick in the draft though. It would be nice if there was a sure fire can't miss skill position player, but there isn't. It would be nice if there wasn't 5 first round caliber OTs... but there are. The #1 overall is going to get paid too much money. When the #1 pick makes more than guys like Champ Bailey, something is wrong. And, I don't think anybody is going to trade for it. IF we could trade down a bit, I'd do it in a heart beat. Even taking a little less value would be okay with me. Send it to someone like the Seahawks for the 5th, and a swap of picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I don't care as long as we're not trapped with the pick and having to pay anyone the kind of $$$ the #1 demands!
Now your just dreaming. If the Broncos trade Cutler it will be a one-trade-and-done deal. Cutler to Detroit for the #1 overall and some change, is a big trade and the devil is in the details. If this happened Detroit will come out smelling like roses and McX will look like morons. Still going with Simms and drafting a QB in the mid to late rounds, is classic NE. Use the #1 pick on Curry or Raji and make defense a priority.

Can you see Curry as the new leader of this team?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
A cobra with AIDS!
Haha. Rep.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #18
atomicbloke
Ring of Famer

La 12 Boca Juniors

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Offensive Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMElway View Post
Wow. If we got Curry and Raji that would be worth this whole fiasco.

I still say taking detroit's #2 pick this year and their number #1 next year would work out nicely as well. I would not mind seeing Colt McCoy or Sam Bradford under center.
Not a fan of future picks due to the recent past.

If Cutler and Calvin team up to lead the Lions to the playoffs in a weak division, the joke will be on us.

Detroit's #1 and #20 this year and nothing less.
atomicbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #19
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

As much as I agree with some of the sentiment, this jumps the gun. Monday is the watershed event. And then we'll have some clear answers.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #20
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Fixed!
Brilliant.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Fixed!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #22
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Now your just dreaming. If the Broncos trade Cutler it will be a one-trade-and-done deal. Cutler to Detroit for the #1 overall and some change, is a big trade and the devil is in the details. If this happened Detroit will come out smelling like roses and McX will look like morons. Still going with Simms and drafting a QB in the mid to late rounds, is classic NE. Use the #1 pick on Curry or Raji and make defense a priority.

you're wrong...

Denver could get more than that for trading him or just trade with a diff team...

personally i don't think we'd pursue the #1 pick anyways...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #23
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

I hate to say it, I agree.....

Whether you side on McDaniels or Cutler, Cutler is the one that needs to grow up. A team can trade a player or ask him to improve? wow, most would take that as a good thing but no, Jay pouts and Cook stirs the pot. I would rather be 8-8 with a team than 8-8 with drama.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #24
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcver2ver3 View Post
you're wrong...

Denver could get more than that for trading him or just trade with a diff team...

personally i don't think we'd pursue the #1 pick anyways...
I disagree. The Broncos get the #1, they have the#12 (which they can trade too) and Detroit throws in some conditional trades.

Anyone who doesn't think that's a pretty good deal for both teams (Cutler is a known commodity, as is his salary. Plus Detroit doesn't have to pay for the first pick) is kidding themselves.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #25
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post

Wait, what?

The Broncos acquire #1 overall for Cutler and you think that is a poor trade for either side? I'll be honest, right now I doubt the Broncos can get that much value for Cutler. They've been dragging his name through the mud for the past week or so in an effort to get the public back on McD's side. The downside to all of that is now Cutler looks like an asshat and his trade value is diminished greatly. IMO, Cutler would be worth the Lions #1 AND #20 picks! But, right now I would be surprised if it was anything more than #20 and a future. In fact, I think what will end up happening is #33 and a future for Cutler. That future could (and likely will) be a #1 in 2010.

As for the #1 pick, if we were able to get it, do you think Curry is worth $30-40m in guaranteed money? A LB in the 3-4 system that isn't a DeMarcus Ware/Terrel Suggs type. How about Raji... One good year in college. And, we're going to be asking him to play NT. A position where his best attribute would be to occupy blockers and make the occasional play from the NT position. You think that is worth $30-40m (just in guaranteed money mind you, total contract will be around $65m over 5 years). Jake Long last year signed a contract for almost $60m with $30m guaranteed. I think the going increase from year to year is 15%. So figure $35m in guaranteed money and a total contract of $65m. Most here wouldn't be willing to pay Julius Peppers that kind of money. I don't remember too many people wanting to pay Haynesworth insane money either. Why on earth would anyone want to pay a rookie that much money?

Thus the trade out of that spot even if it means taking less value than normal. In years past the #1 to #5 was a future first and a very high 2nd round pick, plus a decent player (Falcons/Chargers trade that gave the Falcons Vick and Chargers Tomlinson, Brees, and Dwight). Unfortunately there isn't a "Vick" in this draft. Nobody really wants to be in that #1 spot which is why we would most likely have to take less value for that pick. In fact, I think the Lions might want to trade that pick for Cutler with that being a major part of the reason. Hell, it would be really smart for the Lions to try and trade the #1 for Cutler and #12. I think our FO is stupid enough to do that.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote